• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandoric

Banned
Not blob, no.

Characters have fairly sharp features except for Chitanda.

Moeblob is less about being an amorphous splotch of paint, and more about being an amorphous splotch of tropes and appeals.

You have to give credit to a studio that knows where its artistic strengths are, and knows what it wants to do. I think the people at KyoAni genuinely like their niche and are passionate about its execution, and it shows in their works.

It doesn't hurt that KyoAni pays three or four times the industry average.

From a social perspective, I love what they do. But in terms of output, there just isn't that starving-artist hunger, that invention mothered by necessity, that "one shot don't fuck it up" almost performance art immediacy.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Moeblob is less about being an amorphous splotch of paint, and more about being an amorphous splotch of tropes and appeals.
Still doesn't describe Hyouka...

Did you even watch it??
But in terms of output, there just isn't that starving-artist hunger, that invention mothered by necessity, that "one shot don't fuck it up" almost performance art immediacy.
That's replaced with technical perfection, though.

cajunator

Banned
From a social perspective, I love what they do. But in terms of output, there just isn't that starving-artist hunger, that invention mothered by necessity, that "one shot don't fuck it up" almost performance art immediacy.

What exactly is an example of anime that fits this description?

Metrotab

Banned

I prefer steady, consistent craftsmanship to artistic, innovative originality. Different views of art, I suppose.

KyoAni's strength is adaptation, not innovation, anyway.

EDIT: And their technical skill seems supreme for TV anime.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ugh... Someone here said it wasn't...

I dunno, I'm not watching another SOL show for at least a bit... maybe after I finish other show on my list. Not right now.
Slice of life doesn't necessarily mean cute things doing nothing though. It just is what it is -- a slice of life. Plus, there's the mysteries that add a bit of interest to the show, but don't focus on them too much. They're secondary.

It's a pretty classy show.

Maedhros

Slice of life doesn't necessarily mean cute things doing nothing though. It just is what it is -- a slice of life. Plus, there's the mysteries that add a bit of interest to the show, but don't focus on them too much. They're secondary.

It's a pretty classy show.

If the mysteries aren't the focus, what should I focus them?

Metrotab

Banned

Character interactions. At the end, they barely even had real 'mysteries'.

I've read somewhere before, in Japan, anime aficionados distinguish between different types of SoL-genres. Hyouka would be a different genre than K-On!, for example. It's much more subdued and relaxed.

Mandoric

Banned
What exactly is an example of anime that fits this description?

I can think of a few examples, but how about SZS? It's perpetually underbudgeted and understaffed, only watchable because of a constant stream of money-saving tricks and content reuse (sometimes from other shows!), and when airing on TV has cracked current-events jokes that literally had to have been written, drawn, and edited in within 12 or 16 hours of broadcast.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The show as a whole. (this is not a smart-ass reply)

You really need to focus on the show, not just specific parts. The mysteries, the way the characters react and involve themselves in them, the character interactions they bring, the locales and how the characters react and interact with them, the artistic realization of everything and how it communicates to you the viewer (also known as the animation, the backgrounds, the storyboarding and editing, so on), etc. Pretty much everything matters; it's a very precisely crafted show. I feel that it was even precisely crafted for an episodic TV format, and it's one of the things that make it such a good TV series in particular. At the beginning you may feel like the characters are tropey and shallow, but as the show goes on, and you as a viewer become more attached and knowledgeable about the characters, as well as the characters in the show becoming more attached and knowledgeable about the characters, they start to feel like real people instead of tropes.

And don't worry; it doesn't take long for that to happen either, the show gives you plenty of time to realize its greatness.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Polar Bear Café 28
n7GZy.gif
Important lessons on police and racial profiling.

awwwwww..... ;___;

Also found my new favourite tumblr:

Risette

A Good Citizen
I can think of a few examples, but how about SZS? It's perpetually underbudgeted and understaffed, only watchable because of a constant stream of money-saving tricks and content reuse (sometimes from other shows!), and when airing on TV has cracked current-events jokes that literally had to have been written, drawn, and edited in within 12 or 16 hours of broadcast.
This isn't what you described; it's just poor scheduling and artistic incompetence.

To get what you described a few posts back, you'd have to go back to like, the 70s and look at anime directed by Dezaki, for one example. A lot of old anime (70s to mid 80sish old) are good for what you described, actually. It was normal for 2-4 people to animate entire episodes and lead to some very interesting tricks and techniques that are still used to this day.

Metrotab

Banned
The show as a whole. (this is not a smart-ass reply)

You really need to focus on the show, not just specific parts. The mysteries, the way the characters react and involve themselves in them, the character interactions they bring, the locales and how the characters react and interact with them, the artistic realization of everything and how it communicates to you the viewer (also known as the animation, the backgrounds, the storyboarding and editing, so on), etc. Pretty much everything matters; it's a very precisely crafted show. I feel that it was even precisely crafted for an episodic TV format, and it's one of the things that make it such a good TV series in particular. At the beginning you may feel like the characters are tropey and shallow, but as the show goes on, and you as a viewer become more attached and knowledgeable about the characters, as well as the characters in the show becoming more attached and knowledgeable about the characters, they start to feel like real people instead of tropes.

And don't worry; it doesn't take long for that to happen either, the show gives you plenty of time to realize its greatness.

I wonder if this has anything to do with it being adapted from an actual novel, rather than a light novel, manga or VN.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly more interested in trying the game after having watched 11 episodes of the anime.

Im@s is a deep, deep spiraling well.

I think Pizzaroll pretty much covered everything I would ever say about Hyouka.

After finishing it, the best way I can describe it is beautifully quiet.

Anyway, less KyoAni and more The Idolm@ster for me right now. Episode 11 was a doozy. I was a little bit concerned that there wouldn't be any
legit drama in the series, so seeing Miki feel betrayed at the end of the episode was exciting, even if she's a dummy for not realizing what Swag Producer was saying about joining the group.

I'm also a fan of the way the show has been using what I assume are songs from the games. It's a clever bit of fanservice and a cool way for someone like me to get some more exposure to the franchise. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly more interested in trying the game after having watched 11 episodes of the anime.

Mandoric

Banned
Character interactions. At the end, they barely even had real 'mysteries'.

I've read somewhere before, in Japan, anime aficionados distinguish between different types of SoL-genres. Hyouka would be a different genre than K-On!, for example. It's much more subdued and relaxed.

I'm not sure I'd say "SoL-genres"; more that there's Slice of Life, but also Healing and Surreal (and I guess most gag comedies would fall under what western fandom calls SoL).
SoL is also defined more narrowly; I don't think anyone calls Hyouka SoL rather than Mystery.

Maedhros

IMO, SOL are shows that focus on the character daily life, without a focus on anything. Nichijou, K-On, Lucky Star... these are all Slice of Lifes.

I don't consider Haruhi a Slice of Life.

My Little Monster 1
So it's a romance about socially awkward people?
screenshot2012-10-18azmucb.png

I don't know what about it that I love but this show is very hilarious. Thank you for the recommendation, duckroll.

Weird that pretty much everyone here seems to be praising it, but it takes duckroll recommendation for ya to watch it :X

Mandoric

Banned
This isn't what you described; it's just poor scheduling and artistic incompetence.

To get what you described a few posts back, you'd have to go back to like, the 70s and look at anime directed by Dezaki, for one example. A lot of old anime (70s to mid 80sish old) are good for what you described, actually. It was normal for 2-4 people to animate entire episodes and lead to some very interesting tricks and techniques that are still used to this day.

Ah, but my example's something that regularly gets screwed by factors completely outside the creative team's control, not just because of internal overruns. There's admittedly a very fine line between that and FUJIYAMA or CABBAGE or RED UNNUMBERED CUT, but I think the ability to take fucked-schedule lemons and make up-to-the-minute satire lemonade places SZS on the better side of that line.

It's also, frankly, best when making examples on message boards to go with something the other guy's probably seen.

cajunator

Banned
Ah, but my example's something that regularly gets screwed by factors completely outside the creative team's control, not just because of internal overruns. There's admittedly a very fine line between that and FUJIYAMA or CABBAGE or RED UNNUMBERED CUT, but I think the ability to take fucked-schedule lemons and make up-to-the-minute satire lemonade places SZS on the better side of that line.

It's also, frankly, best when making examples on message boards to go with something the other guy's probably seen.

Maybe its because its early and Im fuckin tired but this post makes no sense.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't think the café was open that day. Beer would go against the whole "organic foods" and family vibe they have going on anyway.

But it was still technically served at the cafe. And I'm sure you can get organic beer.

I just thought it was a weird question to ask when the show has kind of already answered it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
They screw themselves by caring about up to the minute satire. It seems like something they do as a cheap way to grab attention, due to the novelty of being recent, rather than quality. Especially since they have no way of guessing the lasting power or relevancy of what they reference; it seems like a way to pad out their show and could negatively effect the quality in the future as what they reference falls out of knowledge (or not.)

Well, you could go watch something that I used as an example. To be honest, I'd have trouble thinking of a single example of modern anime that fits what you described earlier anyways.
Basically, he's saying that no matter if you think that a cause is valid or not it doesn't disqualify the team's results when overcoming those issues.

Which I think is fair.
I'm saying the results are poor and the cause is too.

cajunator

Banned
They screw themselves by caring about up to the minute satire. It seems like something they do as a cheap way to grab attention, due to the novelty of being recent, rather than quality. Especially since they have no way of guessing the lasting power or relevancy of what they reference; it seems like a way to pad out their show and could negatively effect the quality in the future as what they reference falls out of knowledge (or not.)

Well, you could go watch something that I used as an example. To be honest, I'd have trouble thinking of a single example of modern anime that fits what you described earlier anyways.

Satiring recent events works short term, but years from now when the events are irrelevant the show will take a hit. It will severely date the show and make it more of a nostalgia bomb than a legitimate work of art.
I haven't seen SZS but what sort of events is it satiring? Can you list examples?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
But it was still technically served at the cafe. And I'm sure you can get organic beer.

I just thought it was a weird question to ask when the show has kind of already answered it.
Having some booze between friends is different from selling booze to those friends.

Comedy trumps over continuity anyway.

Ginga e Kickoff!! Special
tumblr_mc3c4v0Wvr1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Just a glorified recap extravaganze with live commentators covering tactics and games of the Momomoya Predators. Just realized they were wearing the jerseys, I wouldnt mind having one. Hilarious when they talked of Reika chan's flying in the sunset.

Steroyd

Chuunibuyo - 03

5CYz8.gif

Spinning Heart FAIL!

Surprisingly damn near every character that has their moment to shine is awesome in their own way, lol at the teacher talking to Catherine.

Mandoric

Banned

The draw of the SZS comic to begin with is figuring out what Kumeta was going on about; if you don't like that you're not going to like anything they can do with the show. But I don't think you have to like reference comedies to admit that turning external production difficulties into a better reference comedy and a unique direction style, rather than giving up and starting work on the DVD fix at three weeks out like everyone else, is above and beyond the call.

I could go back and rewatch the '70s, yes. I'm sure it would make me far better at namedropping. But none of that will do me any good when I'm making examples to the average KyoAni fan, now, will it?

Risette

A Good Citizen
a unique direction style
lol

I could go back and rewatch the '70s, yes. I'm sure it would make me far better at namedropping. But none of that will do me any good when I'm making examples to the average KyoAni fan, now, will it?
I'm not an "average KyoAni fan", for one. There's no need to dumb down discussion in my presence. If you're not talking about me, then I don't see the point in even mentioning average KyoAni fans at all. It would certainly do you good when making examples in general.

"Namedropping" is pretty useful for discussion, because people who work on things have names. It's pretty simple. Although I have the feeling that you meant to use "namedropping" as a passive-aggressive way to discount my example because I used a name that enthusiasts often drop (they drop it for a reason) or something, but I dunno.

It would also do a lot more than make you better at "namedropping" -- there's a lot to learn from that period of time. Lots of styles being formed, techniques being created, and so on.

cajunator

Banned
Chuunibuyo - 03

5CYz8.gif

Spinning Heart FAIL!

Surprisingly damn near every character that has their moment to shine is awesome in their own way, lol at the teacher talking to Catherine.

I liked her a lot more than I was expecting to, and yes the whole engrish part with the teacher was awesome.

Mandoric

Banned
Satiring recent events works short term, but years from now when the events are irrelevant the show will take a hit. It will severely date the show and make it more of a nostalgia bomb than a legitimate work of art.
I haven't seen SZS but what sort of events is it satiring? Can you list examples?

The particular moment that springs to mind is a point in S3 where they name-checked a late-afternoon (LA time) leak from the investigation into Michael Jackson's death, in an episode that aired around breakfast the day after.

Which doesn't make it good comedy or even noticeable on rewatch, mind you. But I'm arguing raw immediacy as its own virtue here, so I'm not really sure it not being an amazing joke is any more relevant than it not being an amazing romance or an amazing giant-robot fight.

7Th

Superior example: episode 19 of KareKano.

Jarmel

Banned
I recently saw the new BBC version of Sherlock and when comparing it against Hyouka, I realized I'm really getting sick of the high school setting in anime.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 079
Bittenfeld has all the cunning of an ape smashing two coconuts together in order to drink their water. He could easily fit among any of the dumb nobles from the first season. Not like Attenborough was any better, mind you. The only reason he seems to have survived this long is due to being under Yang's wing.

This episode finally answered some of the questions regarding the two-dimensional representation of the Phezzan and Iserlohn corridors... just about thirty episodes too late.

Alas,
poor Fahrenheit. We hardly knew ya.
Bringing a nuke into a fisticuffs.

I recently saw the new BBC version of Sherlock and when comparing it against Hyouka, I realized I'm really getting sick of the high school setting in anime.

Anime needs more college years unless college is shit times in Japan.

Weird cuz I found high school years to be awful compare to college.

Cultural differences I guess.

Anime needs more college years unless college is shit times in Japan.

Weird cuz I found high school years to be awful compare to college.

Cultural differences I guess.

I like the high school setting when you get out of it then characters seem to just have more problems, lose a bit of appeal, or often I guess their real world issues on their plates just get to be too much for them and lots of times they are depressed (work pressures, money pressures, marriage pressures, etc)

And speaking of Hyouka, v6 finally gives us another, if only they could be on a blu ray cover Houtarou Satoshi dvd cover.
51UHrOSNStL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom