• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

School Days 7

So, shit's finally starting to go down.

Damn, I was this fucking close to punching a hole straight into my computer screen early on. "So, who cares?" "It'll be fine" It'll be fine, huh, Makoto? And how do you wager that's going to happen, you douche-faced slimebag? Damn, at least some people in these stories have the decency to feel bad about what they're doing (not that that doesn't make them shit). But this guy? Doesn't. Fucking. Care. FUCK. YOU. YOU. SHIT. ASS. MOTHERFUCKER!

Setsura. She's cold and mean. She acts cruelly to Kotonoha. And yet, in sad, she probably handles the situation the best of her, Makoto, and Sekai. She's the only one who says point-blank that he can't be running around with one girl when he's a boyfriend to another. Ironically, she probably treats Kotonoha most humanely. At least she has the decency to try to cut her off instead of stringing her along and taking advantage of her.

So, you think Makoto can't possibly be anymore of a shitbag, right? Fucking wrong. Because, after seeing Kotonoha without her jacket on, he remembers, "Oh, right! Kotonaha has fucking rad tits!" Then, he gets pissed at Kaisuke for asking her out. Makoto, I mean this in the most sincere way possible: I HOPE YOU GET YOUR DICK BLASTED BY A SHOTGUN! AND THEN I HOPE YOU GET THROWN BALLS FIRST INTO A WOOD CHIPPER!

Anyway, end of the episode, Kotonoha discovers for sure now that Makoto is cheating on her with Sekai. At which point she delivers one epic smack across the face to Sekai. Much as I wish this went to Makoto, Sekai deserved it too, for being such a pathetic coward.
Kotonoha seemed really pissed. Like, psychotically pissed. Like, she gave off little emotion, but you could tell when she was walking toward Sekai that she meant fucking business. Here's hoping she gives Makoto his come-uppence. If not, fuck your weak ass, Kotonoha.

Sorry I wasn't quite as animated as last time, but, well, like I said, it looks like shit is starting to go down.
If Makoto manages to weasel himself out of this though, holy shit, hit the deck.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 081
Okay, that's tremendously silly.
You know, I keep trying to find reasons to watch this show but can never really work up the will to do it. I kept meaning to ask Jex, but I figure I'd just ask here - with the Star Citizen trailer, I really am in the mood for a good military scifi show to watch. With Yamato's next episodes coming out god knows when, does LOGH match up to the Robertsianesque vision of milsyfy?

He cuts his own ear off
Oh,
like a certain artist
?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
They are not childs though. And that's the problem.

While they definitely need to learn to be more mature about it (i.e. take time, place and occasion into account), there's nothing wrong with people playing around and having fun. Too many adults think that "growing up" is about throwing away childish things. In actuality, while it's normal to go through a phase where you try to deny your past and things you liked as a child, true maturity is coming to terms with who you truly are and what you truly love to do. And then accepting that truth and just being you, the adult who loves what you love, no matter what others think.

Er... in my opinion at least. ^^;

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I wouldn't know, never watched it. Didn't seem like it's my thing either. Taking time travel seriously = lolz.
3vTwT.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
While they definitely need to learn to be more mature about it (i.e. take time, place and occasion into account), there's nothing wrong with people playing around and having fun. Too many adults think that "growing up" is about throwing away childish things. In actuality, while it's normal to go through a phase where you try to deny your past and things you liked as a child, true maturity is coming to terms with who you truly are and what you truly love to do. And then accepting that truth and just being you, the adult who loves what you love, no matter what others think.

Hey, everyone here watches cartoons. Unless it's Pixar or we have kids, we're automatically defined as manbabies. lol

School Days 7

So, shit's finally starting to go down.

Damn, I was this fucking close to punching a hole straight into my computer screen early on. "So, who cares?" "It'll be fine" It'll be fine, huh, Makoto? And how do you wager that's going to happen, you douche-faced slimebag? Damn, at least some people in these stories have the decency to feel bad about what they're doing (not that that doesn't make them shit). But this guy? Doesn't. Fucking. Care. FUCK. YOU. YOU. SHIT. ASS. MOTHERFUCKER!

Setsura. She's cold and mean. She acts cruelly to Kotonoha. And yet, in sad, she probably handles the situation the best of her, Makoto, and Sekai. She's the only one who says point-blank that he can't be running around with one girl when he's a boyfriend to another. Ironically, she probably treats Kotonoha most humanely. At least she has the decency to try to cut her off instead of stringing her along and taking advantage of her.

So, you think Makoto can't possibly be anymore of a shitbag, right? Fucking wrong. Because, after seeing Kotonoha without her jacket on, he remembers, "Oh, right! Kotonaha has fucking rad tits!" Then, he gets pissed at Kaisuke for asking her out. Makoto, I mean this in the most sincere way possible: I HOPE YOU GET YOUR DICK BLASTED BY A SHOTGUN! AND THEN I HOPE YOU GET THROWN BALLS FIRST INTO A WOOD CHIPPER!

Anyway, end of the episode, Kotonoha discovers for sure now that Makoto is cheating on her with Sekai. At which point she delivers one epic smack across the face to Sekai. Much as I wish this went to Makoto, Sekai deserved it too, for being such a pathetic coward.
Kotonoha seemed really pissed. Like, psychotically pissed. Like, she gave off little emotion, but you could tell when she was walking toward Sekai that she meant fucking business. Here's hoping she gives Makoto his come-uppence. If not, fuck your weak ass, Kotonoha.

Sorry I wasn't quite as animated as last time, but, well, like I said, it looks like shit is starting to go down.
If Makoto manages to weasel himself out of this though, holy shit, hit the deck.

This is WAY more fun to watch unfold than I had originally thought. Amazing.

You know, I keep trying to find reasons to watch this show but can never really work up the will to do it. I kept meaning to ask Jex, but I figure I'd just ask here - with the Star Citizen trailer, I really am in the mood for a good military scifi show to watch. With Yamato's next episodes coming out god knows when, does LOGH match up to the Robertsianesque vision of milsyfy?

I don't really know what you mean by that, but Legend of the Galactic Heroes is an excellent series with a strong focus on politics and military strategy. If you decide to watch it, be sure to start with the Overture to a New War movie, which covers the events of the first two episodes of the OVA series, only better.

Oh,
like a certain artist
?

Something like that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
School Days 7
Get something for your blood pressure.
LotGH is less a military show (even if it has incredible space battles) and more a pseudo-historical recount of the greatest (fictional) autocracy ever.

Robotics;Notes 02

It was an ok episode. Didn't really get bored at any point of the episode so something of the show must still be hooking me on. Whatever mysterious thing that they are building up looks worth watching more for.

While genki girl is still genki, the main guy's who apathetic approach to everything isn't really doing anything for me. Maybe I just need a reason why he doesn't care about anything other than his game, but this is probably not the best way to introduce a main character. No idea on the other two characters, but store clerk girl is pretty cool at least. Makes me want to try that passion fruit bread now. Somewhat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't really know what you mean by that, but Legend of the Galactic Heroes is an excellent series with a strong focus on politics and military strategy. If you decide to watch it, be sure to start with the Overture to a New War movie, which covers the events of the first two episodes of the OVA series, only better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlIWJlz6-Eg

A pointlessly reverent trailer depicting giant space carriers filled with guys in space suits hanging around the flight deck just waiting to go out on their fighters to blow shit up. lol

LotGH is less a military show (even if it has incredible space battles) and more a pseudo-historical recount of the greatest (fictional) autocracy ever.
Ah, so it tilts more to the Tytania side of things than the random old men shouting commands while standing around a 3d hologram. lol

God, I can't believe I'm considering watching nuBSG again. Maybe if I just pretend the series ends after the miniseries, I won't hate myself.

Well, we'll see I guess. Not like I don't have a shortage of things to watch at the moment.

wonzo

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlIWJlz6-Eg

A pointlessly reverent trailer depicting giant space carriers filled with guys in space suits hanging around the flight deck just waiting to go out on their fighters to blow shit up. lol

Ah, so it tilts more to the Tytania side of things than the random old men shouting commands while standing around a 3d hologram. lol

God, I can't believe I'm considering watching nuBSG again. Maybe if I just pretend the series ends after the miniseries, I won't hate myself.

Well, we'll see I guess. Not like I don't have a shortage of things to watch at the moment.
I've only seen the first 26 episodes but LoGH is by far and away one of the best things I've ever seen. Overture to a New War is a must.

Maedhros

I knew people would do this... sigh...

Aren't the characters 14~16 years old in this series? If they are 10~12, I could understand and relate, since I did the same with friends in my neighbourhood.

I'm not saying that they HAVE to act like adults... they are in their teen years. Did you guys actually go around there fighting invisible/imaginary enemies and doing things like this on your 14~16, ON SCHOOL? Because that's awkward as fuck. I mean... playing is all right, I did play until my 16~17 years. But actually believing what you're playing/representing is real... that's problematic and awkward, for most people anyway.

That's why this show is embarassing. I hope I see her saying that she actually knows the things she does aren't real, by the end.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

You just had to bring Tytania into this discussion. Are you trying to make LOGH fans' heads explode?

Btooom! 3
tumblr_mc4eaxG36y1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The anime is starting to get decent. Still third least enjoyable anime this season on my watched list (only Sakurasu pet or whatever and Chunnibyou or more of the least enjoyable for me). Somehow it feels as if there was some missing development between episode 1 and episode 3 as Sakamoto seems well more competent now. All his faces really got to me and just his confidence and expressions.
Whole scene after the revelation of his outburst on the plane and then the debating and testing teaming up with Taira. I think Taira will die though, unappealing design and he's just there. Which I hope we get the bloody kid there to team up with Sakamoto instead

wonzo

Banned
No, there's plenty of that too.
I'm keeping Overture for after I finish the show, along with the OAVs.
Yeah, I'm planning on checking out the other stuff (even Golden Wings lol) after I'm done with the main series but I really am glad that I started off with OtaNW.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You just had to bring Tytania into this discussion. Are you trying to make LOGH fans' heads explode?
Tytania is what I thought I wanted at the time. It's not my fault it was the thing that was new! lol

(Besides, Han Solo-esque character in a Space Opera/MilSyFy show... sounds like a winning combo, doesn't it?)

I've only seen the first 26 episodes but LoGH is by far and away one of the best things I've ever seen. Overture to a New War is a must.
Hrm... You know, have any of you guys seen the new Yamato yet? I'd be curious to see how they compared, just for reference.

cajunator

Banned

As a card carrying manchild, i must agree.
There's a time and place to be silly, but you don't have to give it up entirely.
I actually act crazy at work, but its a night shift with a handful of others and it alleviates everyones stress.

What is that from? She's dressed like Madoka.

RurouniZel

I knew people would do this... sigh...

Aren't the characters 14~16 years old in this series? If they are 10~12, I could understand and relate, since I did the same with friends in my neighbourhood.

I'm not saying that they HAVE to act like adults... they are in their teen years. Did you guys actually go around there fighting invisible/imaginary enemies and doing things like this on your 14~16, ON SCHOOL? Because that's awkward as fuck. I mean... playing is all right, I did play until my 16~17 years. But actually believing what you're playing/representing is real... that's problematic and awkward, for most people anyway.

That's why this show is embarassing. I hope I see her saying that she actually knows the things she does aren't real, by the end.

1) The embarrassing thing is... er, part of the point. Chuunibyou (middle school disease) is "most common" during, erm, middle school. They're supposed to be embarrassing continuing to do this in high school, and Yuuta's trying to move on from that type of thing but Rikka and others keep trying to rope him back in. Embarrassing stuff in public settings can be quite funny when executed well (which Chuu2 does).

2) In High School my friends and I played Dungeons and Dragons, does that count?

Uchip

Banned
I wouldn't know, never watched it. Didn't seem like it's my thing either. Taking time travel seriously = lolz.

It does time travel better than any other concept ive seen used in fiction
surprised so many people skipped steins;gate, as it was definitely one of the better shows of recent times

Robotics;Boat 2

VqQi2.jpg

What a genki thing to say.

Still slow, but at least we're finding out that things aren't quite what they seem just like the other entries in the Science series. It does still seem way more optimistic than the other 2 though, which is throwing me off. Makes me think shit will hit the fan really hard.

Maedhros

1) The embarrassing thing is... er, part of the point. Chuunibyou (middle school disease) is "most common" during, erm, middle school. They're supposed to be embarrassing continuing to do this in high school, and Yuuta's trying to move on from that type of thing but Rikka and others keep trying to rope him back in. Embarrassing stuff in public settings can be quite funny when executed well (which Chuu2 does).

2) In High School my friends and I played Dungeons and Dragons, does that count?
1 - You're saying that like I didn't know... I said the show was embarassing.
2 - No, it doesn't count.

Hrm... You know, have any of you guys seen the new Yamato yet? I'd be curious to see how they compared, just for reference.

I haven't seen the new show yet, but I have seen some of the original Yamato TV series and I assume it's at least roughly the same. I would say the main differences are that Legend of the Galactic Heroes 1) does not glorify war or nationalism at all, quite the opposite; 2) does not rely on technobabble much; 3) has a much stronger character focus while at the same time having a much larger scale. Seriously, it's difficult for me to get across just what a large scale the series has in its examination of various movements, powers, forces, philosophies, and, with a couple exceptions, how well it portrays them all.

The two works only bear the vaguest similarities that come with being "space shows", really.

RurouniZel

1 - You're saying that like I didn't know... I said the show was embarassing.
2 - No, it doesn't count.

It just seems like you're complaining about the characters acting in embarrassing ways when I would think that would be expected in this show based on all the trailers etc. Unless you walked into it blind, for which I apologize. It's not you're thing, that's fine.

Instro

Psycho Pass 2

Implied yuri? Oh my.

I did really enjoy this episode, although I noticed the backgrounds were not as good in certain scenes they are quite often very detailed though. Loved some of those scenes in Akane's, beautiful stuff. The cityscape scenes as well. The music really fits well with the detective stuff, very genre appropriate.

Narag

Kaiji 22

This show. That sure went from satisfying to super uncomfortable in no time flat. I've seen ultraviolent stuff that wasn't half as disturbing since it had nowhere near the tension of this show.

Kaiji 22

This show. That sure went from satisfying to super uncomfortable in no time flat. I've seen ultraviolent stuff that wasn't half as disturbing since it had nowhere near the tension of this show.

Fukumoto may have pacing issues, but he does know how to create tension like no one else.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't seen the new show yet, but I have seen some of the original Yamato TV series and I assume it's at least roughly the same. I would say the main differences are that Legend of the Galactic Heroes 1) does not glorify war or nationalism at all, quite the opposite; 2) does not rely on technobabble much; 3) has a much stronger character focus while at the same time having a much larger scale. Seriously, it's difficult for me to get across just what a large scale the series has in its examination of various movements, powers, forces, philosophies, and, with a couple exceptions, how well it portrays them all.

The two works only bear the vaguest similarities that come with being "space shows", really.
Yeah. I know it's not fair to judge LOGH by Tytania, but I'm going to assume it's more macro than micro then. With all the dudes in fancy coats moving literal and figurative chess pieces around while sipping cognac and discussing the merits of their political beliefs.
Sort of like the difference between Rome and Game of Thrones, come to think of it.

And really, Yamato, at least the few episodes and the movies that I've seen, doesn't really glorify war all that much either - especially considering Earth seems to be in danger of being destroyed over and over again. lol

Psycho Pass 2

Implied yuri? Oh my.
Implied yuri lowering our standards for real yuri. :(

Yeah. I know it's not fair to judge LOGH by Tytania, but I'm going to assume it's more macro than micro then. With all the dudes in fancy coats moving literal and figurative chess pieces around while sipping cognac and discussing the merits of their political beliefs.
Sort of like the difference between Rome and Game of Thrones, come to think of it.

It does lean more on the macro side, so to speak, but it's not as if it neglects the micro side either. It makes sure to devote time to showing the impact that the decisions at the top have on the ordinary foot soldier and citizen. And only the Empire wears fancy coats.

And really, Yamato, at least the few episodes and the movies that I've seen, doesn't really glorify war all that much either - especially considering Earth seems to be in danger of being destroyed over and over again.

Fair enough; I could only judge by the nationalist pride that seemed to infuse the early episodes of the original show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't say I have seen any of the new or old Yamato series. :<
:(
The new one is only a few episodes in!

Well, it's only the second episode. Gotta save it for later.
"Later". Don't believe the lies!

Wont someone please save the yuri?
I'll be the Batman of yuri. Call me... a Yeater.

latest polar bear cafe.

Hope Panda got a good severance package.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Something happens to Panda-kun?

Uchip

Banned
Latent criminals or not
sex in the workplace doesn't seem like something that would be easily overlooked
that scene was kind of random

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom