• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

I don't know, I kind of agree with this. There are way too many posts in this thread as it is without cluttering it up with useless lists that I skip anyway because they don't tell me anything interesting.

I find lists interesting if people explain why they are listed in a particular order. Or does that take the fun out of it for other people?

I really like the transitions and the flow in the Blasty OP, and I prefer the song too. It's pretty great all round.
I like that middle moment in the Blast of Tempest OP when they do that quick scene of the four characters posing and then go to all four side by side, like that promotional art piece for the anime.

Best ending visuals of the season, while the Egoist song for Psycho Pass is memorable.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Thats an interesting intro to anime.
Welcome to animegaf and if you dont mind, list some genres of shows you like/interests so we might help you discover new things.

Thank you!

I am open to most things, but typical life/comedy stuff like this show is great. I would like to find something futuristic, or something horror oriented. I heard there is at least one anime centered around zombies, and I would absolutely love to get into that.

cajunator

Banned
Thank you!

I am open to most things, but typical life/comedy stuff like this show is great. I would like to find something futuristic, or something horror oriented. I heard there is at least one anime centered around zombies, and I would absolutely love to get into that.

Hmm..
For life/comedy there are different types.
Are you looking for realistic life, school comedy, romantic comedy, or something else?

I get home in an hour from work so Ill look through my collection but im sure others will come along soon and suggest things too.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Hmm..
For life/comedy there are different types.
Are you looking for realistic life, school comedy, romantic comedy, or something else?

I get home in an hour from work so Ill look through my collection but im sure others will come along soon and suggest things too.

I guess school comedy, but romantic comedy is cool too. I would prefer something with a similar animation style to this show too. I am not sure why I noticed that above all other things

Thank you!

Might you be thinking of Highschool of the Dead?

I highly recommend Ga-Rei Zero. It's about a girl who's brought into a government agency that deals with ghosts and other supernatural threats. It has a nice blend of comedy, horror, and action and at only 12 episodes it never overstays its welcome. Sweet yet badass.

edit: also, you can stream it on Netflix if you have an account.

edit 2: the anime School Days may be right up your alley, as well. It's a school/romantic comedy that takes a few episodes to get going, but once it does you'll be hooked.

Kazzy

Medaka Box Abnormal 2

uxmo5.jpg

Yes! Maguro has really befitted from the adaptation, he was always crazy, always weird, and it's perfectly accentuated here. I think that some of the satire is better served too,
especially when the training-arc will have been completed by the time the next episode rolls around!

And I love that the trolling is permeating into both the OP and ED. If this is likely it, why not go all out?

The way I see it going, I can see each of the flask-plan members (well, the 6), getting at least an episode for their respective fights. The likes of Naze/Koga probably a couple. And they better not spend the entire next episode fucking around with that door!

I don't think it's not a good idea to start with too many new shows, just finish The Pet Girl of Sakurasou and if you want more after it, well, we are here.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Surely I'm not the only one who finds it ironic that GAINAX is making fun of merchandising with Medaka Box Abnormal?
Spoiled over paid amateurs run by a corrupt football federation. I hope we lose all the rest of the group games.
Sounds like every football federation everywhere. What happened to the spirit of 2002? That was a great team.

Grzi

Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date! - 03

Another great episode, I don't know, most of the stuff this show does is funny to me, unlike a great number of other comedy anime. Loved the action too, still waiting on KyoAni to do a battle shounen show.

By the standards of anime gaf, is this show shitty?

I am expecting so. That is usually how it goes when I join new communities.
HSotD is pretty trashy, and I haven't seen it, but it certainly seems to accomplish what it sets out to do, Ga-Rei is an underrated gem, and School Days is an animeGAF favorite.

The good thing about animeGAF is that we've got a nice spread of tastes. For every person that thinks a show is shitty, there's probably someone else who loves it.

edit: no idea about Pet Girl, though.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
HSotD is pretty trashy, and I haven't seen it, but it certainly seems to accomplish what it sets out to do, Ga-Rei is an underrated gem, and School Days is an animeGAF favorite.

The good thing about animeGAF is that we've got a nice spread of tastes. For every person that thinks a show is shitty, there's probably someone else who loves it.

edit: no idea about Pet Girl, though.

Oh wow, that one is on crunchy roll too. I can already tell I am going to like it here.

cajunator

Banned
I guess school comedy, but romantic comedy is cool too. I would prefer something with a similar animation style to this show too. I am not sure why I noticed that above all other things

Good school comedies to start with:

School rumble
Cromartie high school
Azumanga daioh

Also A romantic comedy show called Tonari no Kaibutsu kun is airing now and its pretty fun too.

wonzo

Banned
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1

As someone with no prior experience of the original series I thought this was pretty good. The iconic Leiji Matsumoto character designs seem to have received a bit of polish as it took me a little while to pick up on them. The CG spaceships are serviceable for the most part. However, the odd close scene with the traditionally animated close-up shots or explosions look absolutely fantastic, as do the interior shots. I can't say I'm really feeling any of the characters outside of the battle hardened Okita but I'm sure that'll change once things start moving. Definitely looking forward to more of this.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1

As someone with no prior experience of the original series I thought this was pretty good. The iconic Leiji Matsumoto character designs seem to have received a bit of polish as it took me a little while to pick up on them. The CG spaceships are serviceable for the most part. However, the odd close scene with the traditionally animated close-up shots or explosions look absolutely fantastic, as do the interior shots. I can't say I'm really feeling any of the characters outside of the battle hardened Okita but I'm sure that'll change once things start moving. Definitely looking forward to more of this.

Its a visual delight when they go into the technology later on.

Im still sitting on two episodes, since the multimonth wait for each set of episodes has started to get annoying. I think the next set is November?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Lol, the panty shots in High school of the dead are killing me.

edit: all right, this is amazing. I am just going to forget about my friends and family and watch anime in my room.

wsippel

Banned
By the standards of anime gaf, is this show shitty?

I am expecting so. That is usually how it goes when I join new communities.
Really depends on what you're looking for. Highschool of the Dead is certainly trash, but it's "good" trash - if that's your thing, you'll probably enjoy HSotD.

School Days is a show animeGAF always recommends to troll newcomers. Feel free to check it out, it's certainly an unique experience if nothing else.

Really depends on what you're looking for. Highschool of the Dead is certainly trash, but it's "good" trash - if that's your thing, you'll probably enjoy HSotD.

School Days is a show animeGAF always recommends to troll newcomers. Feel free to check it out, it's certainly an unique experience if nothing else.

HotD feels like a Japanese version of the super exploitive zombie horror from the 70's. It's trashy as hell, but I was totally entertained the whole time.

Also, welcome to animeGAF Sean!

Maedhros

edit: all right, this is amazing. I am just going to forget about my friends and family and watch anime in my room.

You're in for a ride... the best ride.

Shut off your brain and enjoy.

Mirai Nikki 13-17

Marco and Ai, bes couple.

Im sure Yuno would find love if she just quit killing everybody.
That really thins out the prospects.

Okay they explain that she was treated bad during her childhood, but that can't be the reason she acts the way she is.

Sounds like every football federation everywhere. What happened to the spirit of 2002? That was a great team.

Ah how I miss those times. :p Are you from Latin America or Spain? Since the Tsubasa opening was Spanish. :)

sonicmj1

I am dying here, and this probably isn't even comedy. Ugh I am so glad I found this show.

Glad it's working for you. I didn't enjoy it as much, but that's probably because I was trying to take it seriously.

It's not as trashy and ridiculous as HSotD, but one of my personal favorite shows of recent years is Ben-to, an action-packed rom-com about people who fight each other to obtain half-priced box lunches in supermarkets. Less blood, and not as gratuitously fan-service heavy as HSotD (few things are), but it's equally earnest and ridiculous.

Especially if you're coming into it fresh, there's a pretty dizzying variety of anime out there for all kinds of tastes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
School Days 5

There are no words in the English dictionary to adequately describe just how much Makoto sucks.
I have a few. Tosspot, chumbucket, chooza, dick, just a plain old unpleasant chap. To sum it all up a twankunt (that's a twat, wanker and oopsy daisy all in one)

Unlike the others I take no joy in watching someone else suffer through this.

Quarterfinals are practically guaranteed to be 75% Saki now.
I don't get it. The show wasn't that great and my usual barometer for measuring popularity puts this show below average.

It's not as trashy and ridiculous as HSotD, but one of my personal favorite shows of recent years is Ben-to, an action-packed rom-com about people who fight each other to obtain half-priced box lunches in supermarkets. Less blood, and not as gratuitously fan-service heavy as HSotD (few things are), but it's equally earnest and ridiculous.

Well Ben-To was fun for 6 episodes, too bad it became garbage after that and they didn't even bother (or couldn't afford) to animate the last fight.

I have a few. Tosspot, chumbucket, chooza, dick, just a plain old unpleasant chap. To sum it all up a twankunt (that's a twat, wanker and oopsy daisy all in one)

Unlike the others I take no joy in watching someone else suffer through this.
But look at how many feels you're feeling, man. Surely that's worth something.

cajunator

Banned

That's the proper way to do it!

If you don't mind I'll list off a bunch of shows I have enjoyed in various genres. Feel free to research them and see if any of them strike your interest

Haibane Renmei - My favorite anime. A girl falls from the sky as if in a dream. She ends up in a mysterious town and must figure out the reasons behind all of it and who she is.

Kino's Journey - A young traveller journeys across countries, never staying more than three days. Kino discovers a lot about humanity along the way in its lightest and darkest moments.

Twelve Kingdoms - A girl is accidentally transported into a different world filled with demons and 12 different countries, all governed by a particular set of rules, but with varying problems.

Oh My Goddess - a romantic comedy and a classic. A boy calls to order a pizza and ends up calling the goddess helpline. Yes its as absurd as it sounds. He ends up with an unexpected goddess in his room.

You're Under arrest - A duo of police women fight crime and insanity ensues. This series is a ton of fun.

Iria: Zeiram The animation - one of the first anime I saw on Sci Fi. A story of a bounty hunter and her brother and a vicious murderous alien.

Cowboy Bebop - This is a true classic. SPike and his group of bounty hunters travel through space in search of bounties while discovering their identities and having adventure along the way. This show was a landmark.

And Yet The Town Moves - a more recent offering by Studio Shaft. Shaftl oves to make up for low budgets with style and flash. This show is a TON of fun and is about a group of people who try to set up a maid cafe.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - I dont know if you are fmailiar with the magical girl genre, but this is a really unique one. Extremely well written and directed, with great characters, memorable events, and a haunting atmosphere. One of my absolute favorites.

Bamboo Blade - a group of girls in a high school environment involving Kendo. This show is funny, cute, and well made.

Elfen Lied - One of the more controversial horror genre animes for reasons that will be immediately clear. Decently gorey and distrubing, but with an interesting story to tell.

Goldenboy - CLASSIC. Must watch this if you can find it. One of the funniest anime ever about a boy named Kintaro who is a freedert. That is he does random part itme jobs and goes place to place. Hes extremely perverted but a good guy at heart. He hleps people along the way.

Mushishi - A series of stories about mysterious natural creatures called mushi and the strange things that surround them.

Millennium Actress- an amazing movie by Satoshi Kon who is known for his blending of dreamy fantasy with reality. It involves a famous actress in her later years and the film crew that interviews her from when she was born to her acting career while mixing the present with the past in surprising ways.

I know thats not all in the genres you posted but these are all great shows and I think many would agree.
Its something to get you started anyway.

wsippel

Banned
Well Ben-To was fun for 6 episodes, too bad it became garbage after that and they didn't even bother (or couldn't afford) to animate the last fight.
I enjoyed the second half a lot, and I'm pretty sure they didn't show the last fight on purpose - you know how it started and you know the outcome, everything inbetween is left to your imagination. Worked for me, though I wonder how it was handled in the light novel. Too bad it bombed and we'll never see a second season. :(

But yeah, I definitely recommend Ben-To. It was far better than it had any right to be, considering the completely ridiculous premise.

cajunator

Banned
There are dozens and dozens of shows that are worthy of your time Sean. Especially if you are new to this anime stuff. There is a lifetime of stuff to watch at this point. You chose a fun hobby to get into.

Metrotab

Banned
There are dozens and dozens of shows that are worthy of your time Sean. Especially if you are new to this anime stuff. There is a lifetime of stuff to watch at this point. You chose a fun hobby to get into.

Best decision of this year already, for me personally. I'm enjoying this much more than playing videogames, which I kinda burned out on.

cjkeats

I was hesitant to get back into Anime this summer, and watched it in secret shame for a long time after I realized I still love it.
Now I'm sitting at the office wearing a K-On! shirt for casual Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom