• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

OK, The shows they are going to show at Shojo's night in Imperial Collage are: Nana, Ouran High School Club, Kaichou Wa Maid Sama, Kuragehime (tbey are callnig it Jellyfish princess now, I prefer the Japanese name) and Kimi No Todoke.

I have watched two of them, but it should be and intresting evening tonight.

OceanBlue

I don't think they were posted here (I did a search and I also read through most of the posts, but I might've missed it), so...
sirn from Animesuki said:
Official site updated with character design drafts.
(Click to enlarge)

I like the designs. They're nice and clean. I like Kagami's hairstyle.

Lain

Ginga e Kickoff!! 19-23

Didn't expect the match to last for as many episodes as it did, but it was interesting. Erika acted a bit foolishly, trying to catch the blondie's attention.
I think the whole thing with the coach was taken a bit too far in episode 23, but I'm looking forward to the next episode.

K 3

If anything, I think this show has pretty nice music.
The episode had some explanations, which are always appreciated, but it didn't provide too much action or development yet. I did enjoy the last part of it where the Black Dog went into fangirl mode.

I don't think they were posted here (I did a search and I also read through most of the posts, but I might've missed it), so...

The Key Visuals are neat. It's nice to see that Shaft uses Hidari's original art style.

And a little side note: Ignore the summary about the romantic commedy... it's not a incest harem show but more or less a crazy Kamichu than something else.

OceanBlue

The Key Visuals are neat. It's nice to see that Shaft uses Hidari's original art style.

And a little side note: Ignore the summary about the romantic commedy... it's not a incest harem show but more or less a crazy Kamichu than something else.

I haven't gotten to watch more than 2 episodes of Kamichu yet (it's on my backlog), but didn't that have fantasy? Does Sasami-san have fantasy like Kamichu?

(I wouldn't have minded a romantic comedy, lol).

I haven't gotten to watch more than 2 episodes of Kamichu yet (it's on my backlog), but didn't that have fantasy? Does Sasami-san have fantasy like Kamichu?

(I wouldn't have minded a romantic comedy, lol).

If you call religion (the Shinto thing) fantasy then yes Kamichu and Sasami-san are fantasy stories.

OceanBlue

If you call religion (the Shinto thing) fantasy then yes Kamichu and Sasami-san are fantasy stories.

Okay, I think I understand. In that case, the summary might be a little misleading. Well, I'm excited for it either way, since the staff and the VAs look great, among other things.

I am fond of these designs as well. I like Hidari's work to begin with, and what's seen here certainly carries over their charm.

Soma

Triple ahoge?! Oh my.

I like a lot of those. Very expressive.

Steroyd

BTOOOM - 03

uuYYa.jpg
qTEEi.jpg

Well that explains how the main protag wasted at least half his bombs figuring out it's a timer, it didn't come with a manual!

I don't know, I kind of agree with this. There are way too many posts in this thread as it is without cluttering it up with useless lists that I skip anyway because they don't tell me anything interesting.

I'm 60% sure he was just throwing duckroll's complaints of those test things like the recent seme/uke one back at him.

cajunator

Banned
OK, The shows they are going to show at Shojo's night in Imperial Collage are: Nana, Ouran High School Club, Kaichou Wa Maid Sama, Kuragehime (tbey are callnig it Jellyfish princess now, I prefer the Japanese name) and Kimi No Todoke.

I have watched two of them, but it should be and intresting evening tonight.

That is an amazingly excellent lineup! Enjoy!

Shaft saving anime. Over and over and over.

Thank you!

I am open to most things, but typical life/comedy stuff like this show is great. I would like to find something futuristic, or something horror oriented. I heard there is at least one anime centered around zombies, and I would absolutely love to get into that.

Not many zombie shows unfortunately, but the ones we do have are good. High School of the Dead, Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka, Sankarea. Those are the most recent. Not sure if there are old ones.

As for horror in general, I would strongly recommend Shiki. Got a bit of a slow start, but it really turns into something intense and creepy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, this reminded me of something I was going to post in the manga thread, but didn't because I wasn't sure if you check mangaf and I know you'd be probably the only other one who'd find this amusing or even care: I was reading an old, old yuri title from the 70s the other day when, after 2 or 3 ridiculous melodramatic twists at the end, it was revealed that it covered the
lesbianism/incest/age-gap
Holy Grail trifecta of taboo smashing I had first seen in Aoi Hana, what with Fumi's goddamn cousin and the late game reveal that Fumi was like, a child ATT. Eat your heart out, Shimura!

I don't remember that chapter you mention exactly; I think the collection I read was called "Happy Go Lucky Days" and was only partially translated at the time or something. I remember enjoying it, though, for its fairly blunt and noneroticised take on sexual relationships of all kinds. (She's pretty good at that when she tries!)

It's not so much that the side characters don't deserve the same time Fumi and Akira do (although THEY DON'T) as it is just infuriatingly frustrating when their character progression, which is like central to the goddamn comic book, ends up being so damn slow given the lax release schedule and the aforementioned problem of them being shunted to the side and lastly but not leastly the characters being who they are. I catch up with it in fits and spurts because I get too annoyed at this to read it a chapter at a time. I think this is why I still haven't bothered to catch up with Wandering Son...raaaaage...

[/manga discussion]
What's the name of the manga that you read? lol
And it was actual old timey yuri, not the fake yuri in Oniisama e...?
(Also, I'm not sure I know what ATT stands for...)

And yeah, I'm pretty sure one of the chapters in that collection was the first appearance of Yuki. Well, more likely she just decided to port the character to Wandering Son when she came up with that idea. She wasn't with her boyfriend at the time anyway.

As for how the books progress... I have no idea if it's just me and my expectations of what the books should be about (clearly the main characters and not the boring side characters) or if she's trying to tell an entirely different type of story (ie, they're not queer texts, they are just texts with queer characters). I'm sort of okay with the fact that it's not QAF or The L Word and everyone in the book happens to be gay, but spending time with a girl who can't deal with her sister's lesbianism is just... well, boring.

I do wonder if she's milking this thing for what its worth or if she has a plan and wants to create an entire world of interesting characters. The problem is that the other characters are just dull by comparison.

It does lean more on the macro side, so to speak, but it's not as if it neglects the micro side either. It makes sure to devote time to showing the impact that the decisions at the top have on the ordinary foot soldier and citizen. And only the Empire wears fancy coats.
Yeah, that's fair. I'm not sure I'd be interested in the politics is all... mostly because I'm assuming there will be a long set up. Yamato starts off with just "Earth is fucked, go save it" and leaves it at that. lol

Fair enough; I could only judge by the nationalist pride that seemed to infuse the early episodes of the original show.
You know, given my problems with using Panzers, for some reason I have no problem with the Yamato being used as a symbol of hope. Maybe because we didn't really learn about the Pacific campaign in school and video games/movies ignore the Pacific as well.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1
As someone with no prior experience of the original series I thought this was pretty good. The iconic Leiji Matsumoto character designs seem to have received a bit of polish as it took me a little while to pick up on them. The CG spaceships are serviceable for the most part. However, the odd close scene with the traditionally animated close-up shots or explosions look absolutely fantastic, as do the interior shots. I can't say I'm really feeling any of the characters outside of the battle hardened Okita but I'm sure that'll change once things start moving. Definitely looking forward to more of this.
Oh yeah, it has fabulous CG ships. lol
I think, like dresden accepting a dude riding up a wall on a horse in that Sengoku show, I was pretty much okay with the CG because of how fucking boss the characters are during the CG sequences.

---

Oh god the waifu app has entered the next level.
OpJXNl.jpg

/XX/

How long until he dies?
He seems to be so much a close guidance for the first two episodes that one would expect certain development early on like that as a shock after the emotional attachment, right? Healing properties I tell you!

He's obviously going to backstab the group. Then at the end becomes the head of the government and oppress everyone.
The coolest man! I thought he would be destined to be the veteran watch dog that would sacrifice himself to definitely pass that baton as a lesson for the others to learn (too old for that shit and all!), and at the same time liberate himself once and for all from the weight for so long on his shoulders that was being a potential criminal...

... yay for cop/detective movie stereotypes! Should I be giving more credit to Mr. Urobuchi's way of handling characters used for the benefit of his "complacent" stories first and foremost?

Emitan

I want to try to get my sister to watch Kids on the Slope but she's so busy. I've been slowly converting her into a nerd like me :3

/XX/

I agree that personal enjoyment the main reason to watch anime, but I don't think the subject matter needs to be appealing to be enjoyable.
Subject manner only enhances the enjoyment of something for me. It doesn't detract from the enjoyment; as long as it's well-executed.
I think like that to... this is entertainment after all, but we can learn from seeing experiences we don't necessarily enjoy.

I'd enjoy chu2koi more if it was parodic rather than a tribute.
Maybe we still lack the whole picture for this series. The way it is shown in such a ridiculous manner even from an inside persective makes it seem all inoffensive (as in not a harmful lifestyle, no not grating... that it certainly is for many) first, and this is the beginning of the show that still introduces key characters and all, so it could go the route of being this the preliminary step to an 'achievement arc', or any conflict that could derive from their condition. Difficult to judge yet.

You didn't watch the show, you watched one episode.

Let's be fair here.
Yeah, this still lacks the emotional reward of seeing the protagonists at the end as proper, fully functional and potential members (or cogs) of Japan's soul-crushing labor market...

Okay, I think I understand. In that case, the summary might be a little misleading. Well, I'm excited for it either way, since the staff and the VAs look great, among other things.

well, Sasami-san is more comedy and story-driven and less SoL than Kamichu.

But I'm still impressed how well Shaft and Hiroki Harada could adapt the original character designs. I hope Shaft will release a real PV soon.

BluWacky

I'd enjoy chu2koi more if it was parodic rather than a tribute.

Sorry to dredge this up from 10 pages back or so, but I would agree that Chuunibyou as a series "glorifies" the condition (for Moe purposes).

It remind me that I feel similarly, curiously, about the opening arc of Welcome to the NHK in the anime. Without the frankly unpleasant levels of self-loathing that soak through every page of the light novel, it comes across as aa tribute to the hikkikomori lifestyle in a way, as the characters get up to wacky comedy hijinks; the blackness of the comedy got lost somewhere along the way IMO.

While that's more a case of adaptation decay than what takes place in Chuunibyou, it evokes a similar response IMO.

Medaka Box Abnormal 02

Training arc!!!!!!!!!

Not a bad episode. Didn't really care much with the whole first part, but with the introduction of the room of Medaka merchandise, that was a lot more fun. Man, I didn't realize there could be so much Medaka merchandise.

/XX/

Hey I remember this Metal Gear game on the GBC, it was pretty good!
Mr. Nojiri... :-(

oh I forgot, Captain Tsubasa J was good!

well-produced and without all the pacing problems. Sadly, it was not very succesful in Japan, so the show is unfinished with just 47 episodes..
Captain Tsubasa J was really good :((
Oh yes it was! To-the-point and many times with animation quality that packed a good punch (I remember background work of stadiums like San Siro as also being well done), even if some people don't want to believe me (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37153933#post37153933 and http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35125384#post35125384)!

Every anime with Moete Hero is a winning goal!
But what TurkishEmperor posted sounds a lot as an insert song (not dubbed over even), at least in the Spanish version.

Also, the videos that you posted call both Captain Tsubasa & Captain Tsubasa J series as "Super Campeones" (it should be put as Supercampeones anyway), when only the later one was called like that here (the former one being Campeones: Oliver y Benji)... is that right?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Is Moribito any good? I saw they had some deal on Crunchyroll.

Great show. Some people say its boring but they just can't appreciate a really interesting story with a great lead character.

Hiiro no Kakera S2 03 / Gyrozetter 01:

I don't think I've ever experienced so much pain while watching anime. Not even K-On was as bad as 45 minutes or so of anime I just watched.

Will keep watching both shows though because I am a glutton for punishment. Doesn't get worse than awful kids shows and terrible otome.

Jarmel

Banned
Great show. Some people say its boring but they just can't appreciate a really interesting story with a great lead character.

I could see people saying that if they watched it on a per weekly basis when it came out. Otherwise the show flows really damn well at parts and is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom