• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are dozens and dozens of shows that are worthy of your time Sean. Especially if you are new to this anime stuff. There is a lifetime of stuff to watch at this point. You chose a fun hobby to get into.

It's easy to say that the market is crowded with shit, and I can even understand that way of thinking.

But there's a lot of really excellent stuff out there if you know where to look/have somebody to point it out for you. As much fun as I have writing articles about Japanese games, nothing beats getting to do a feature on a film like Wolf Children. Anime can be truly fascinating.

cajunator

Banned
It's easy to say that the market is crowded with shit, and I can even understand that way of thinking.

But there's a lot of really excellent stuff out there if you know where to look/have somebody to point it out for you. As much fun as I have writing articles about Japanese games, nothing beats getting to do a feature on a film like Wolf Children. Anime can be truly fascinating.

This is absolutely correct.
There is enough great stuff or at the very least passable to keep even the most hardened monocle happy.
For those of us who don't care as much, there is a smorgasbord.

mAcOdIn

Campione! - 13
Due to my lack of knowledge on god-like figures, I found all the lore and information on each god to be pretty interesting, as well as their affiliations due to their lives.
While I feel my knowledge of pagan Gods is lacking I'm pretty sure a lot of the info they throw at you is totally false. I'm nearly 100% positive though that at no time has any ancient texts ever hinted at Athena turning into a loli with a cat ear hat and that was just totally done for fan-service. Fucked up fanservice considering the classic Greek image of beauty is a kajillion times better than loli.
Also dat imouto!
I swear this fucker's going to have them kiss, it's inevitable.
Glad it's working for you. I didn't enjoy it as much, but that's probably because I was trying to take it seriously.

It's not as trashy and ridiculous as HSotD, but one of my personal favorite shows of recent years is Ben-to, an action-packed rom-com about people who fight each other to obtain half-priced box lunches in supermarkets. Less blood, and not as gratuitously fan-service heavy as HSotD (few things are), but it's equally earnest and ridiculous.

Especially if you're coming into it fresh, there's a pretty dizzying variety of anime out there for all kinds of tastes.
I loved Ben-to overall to. It's true the second half was pretty poor until the last few episodes but overall it was a great show.

cajunator

Banned
While I feel my knowledge of pagan Gods is lacking I'm pretty sure a lot of the info they throw at you is totally false. I'm nearly 100% positive though that at no time has any ancient texts ever hinted at Athena turning into a loli with a cat ear hat and that was just totally done for fan-service. Fucked up fanservice considering the classic Greek image of beauty is a kajillion times better than loli.
I swear this fucker's going to have them kiss, it's inevitable.
I loved Ben-to overall to. It's true the second half was pretty poor until the last few episodes but overall it was a great show.

Ice witch is so very very lovely.

This is absolutely correct.
There is enough great stuff or at the very least passable to keep even the most hardened monocle happy.
For those of us who don't care as much, there is a smorgasbord.

Hell, I've been an anime fan since I was a little kid stealing my uncle's VHS copies of the Dangaioh OVA's.

And while there's always been stuff that didn't appeal to me or that made me shake my head, there's also always been something interesting to watch. Like any media, the quantity of said works fluctuates all the time, but it's never gone completely.

cajunator

Banned
I like the artwork of Fantastic Children. At least the DVD cover.
Its kind of old school.
Also it will be interesting to finally find out what this Haruhi season 2 is like with the whole Endless Eight thing.

Metrotab

Banned
What surprised me about anime is the sheer volume of stuff that gets produced. They don't joke when they say your backlog inevitably ends up becoming an insurmountable list.

Unrelated to our current conversation, but somebody recently left a new comment on my Wolf Children review from July, and I thought I'd share.

......Um the graphics look so early 1990s i mean really we have animes that look REAL and this looks so old like idk even if it is a good story line sorry but you have to keep the visual interesting also if it looks old it will make people yawn ...I mean they need the graphics to be stunning like Lets see Final fantasy or even Naruto or bleach or just make it look like its was made in 2012/13 not 1995 ........

There are real people like this. THEY EXIST.

Metrotab

Banned
I actually liked how 2x2 Shinobuden had an older style of character design despite being a 2004 show. I was skeptical at first, but it's some variation. Doesn't help the actual show was kickass too.

mAcOdIn

What surprised me about anime is the sheer volume of stuff that gets produced. They don't joke when they say your backlog inevitably ends up becoming an insurmountable list.
I purposely keep a backlog of stuff I hope is good just to always have something to watch. Like I still have yet to watch Nausicaa, I have the Bluray, I've had the time, I just feel like keeping it around for a truly rainy day, so to speak.

I think some people are too eager to "catch up" to everyone else when in reality you never can catch up, well I guess you could but you shouldn't want to catch up to someone who's been watching anime longer because there's other shit to do too. Everyone here, and most places, are more than happy enough to revisit something with you when you "catch up" to a title the group's already seen so all you really miss out on is a discussion at a certain point in time but, I mean, one day you'll have seen it and someone else wont, there's really no need to catch up in some things in life.

cajunator

Banned

Some people have adapted to this by being extremely picky, but I cant bring myself to do that. Its likely that in my lifetime I will never see everything I want to watch.

Some people have adapted to this by being extremely picky, but I cant bring myself to do that. Its likely that in my lifetime I will never see everything I want to watch.

I'm not picky, but I tend to rank things in terms of what I absolutely have to see soon, and what I can sit on. Plus, I like knowing that I always have something to watch if I'm home on a rainy day. It's great!

OceanBlue

Unrelated to our current conversation, but somebody recently left a new comment on my Wolf Children review from July, and I thought I'd share.

There are real people like this. THEY EXIST.

This is kinda disappointing. I don't even care about the comparison to Final Fantasy and Naruto or whatever. It just sounds like he's misattributing his dislike of the art style or subject material to something that isn't true.

cajunator

Banned
I actually liked how 2x2 Shinobuden had an older style of character design despite being a 2004 show. I was skeptical at first, but it's some variation. Doesn't help the actual show was kickass too.

2X2=Shinobuden aka Ninja Nonsense is the kind of crass, rough humor that I enjoy (along with the cuteness) but its definitely not for everyone.
That OP song is a MAJOR earworm though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P_9E3K-LSw

Oh also I finally received Steins;Gate bluray part 1 :D
I'm debating whether or not to wait until part 2 comes out in December to start watching it. Might as well.

Pirabear

Banned

You can't go wrong with a show about Norio Wakamoto training ninjas.

This is kinda disappointing. I don't even care about the comparison to Final Fantasy and Naruto or whatever. It just sounds like he's misattributing his dislike of the art style or subject material to something that isn't true.

I'd have assumed troll if he posted three months ago instead of earlier today. Unfortunately, this would appear to be someone's actual opinion!

Medaka Box Abnormal 2
tumblr_mc556vR7kj1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

The flask planners are intense
all those wounds Medaka's brother received just for leaving :(
. Decent episode, I was just glad for lots of Zenkichi and I had almost thought he'd stay weak in the series but fortunately that may not be the case?
I liked when he was all blushing and overcome with emotions that he had to turn away almost. Anyway hope he gets to a high level and exceeds being stuck as a "normal"?

cajunator

Banned
Also, people who would say that about Wolf Children obviously grew up with recent anime and nothing else. All they likely know is the modern digital era of anime with clean outlines and super smooth animation. Its sad, but its what they are familiar with.

cajunator

Banned
I vote for waiting so you can just run through it straightway instead of stopping at a critical point and waiting months(2) for it.

I've had to endure enough of that with the old Us model (released in volumes of 4-5 episodes, and sometimes an infuriating 3) where I often had to wait one or two months to find out what happened next. I really don't want to go through it again so that's probably the best idea. I will just have to wait a bit longer to see what the fuss is all about (and to see just how cute Mayuri really is).

Metrotab

Banned
2X2=Shinobuden aka Ninja Nonsense is the kind of crass, rough humor that I enjoy (along with the cuteness) but its definitely not for everyone.
That OP song is a MAJOR earworm though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P_9E3K-LSw

You can't go wrong with a show about Norio Wakamoto training ninjas.

That show did so many things right for me. One of only two shows so far that made me actually laugh out loud (the other one being Cromartie). Deserves much more recognition than it seems to get.

Defuser

Btooom ep 3
I like to give the person who added the fart sound a fucking punch to the face. For show like this, they sure throw in alot of jazzy bgm for it. As for the kid in the end...hmmmm...wearing a satanic pentagram...yeah obviously fuck up in the head I guess.

Articalys

Looks like two light novel series just got greenlit for anime adaptations: Tokyo Ravens and Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi. The former sounds like your standard shonen action series, but the latter sounds much more interesting.
Tokyo Ravens said:
Tsuchimikado Harutora was born into a prestigious Onmyoji family, but he can't see "spirit energy". Therefore, he's been enjoying a peaceful daily life with his friends at an Onmyo branch school. One day, his childhood friend Tsuchimikado Natsume, heir to the head family, suddenly appears. Will this cause his destiny spring into motion!?
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi said:
15 years ago, God abandoned the world on Sunday. As a result, nobody in the world can die or reproduce. A little girl, Ai, is the gravekeeper for a village. She has prepared 47 graves for the eventual deaths of every member of the village. One day, a man who identifies himself as "Hampnie Hambart, the 'Man-eating Toy'," which is coincidentally the name that Ai's mother left behind as the name of her father, arrives in the village and slaughters everybody else in the village. Ai embarks on a journey with him.

OceanBlue

The Tokyo Ravens manga is pretty good. Nothing outstanding, but it keeps my attention enough to read it when it comes out. I'm not surprised that it's getting an anime adaptation. Hopefully it ends up pretty good.

I haven't heard of the other one, but it seems interesting. I would imagine that it's going to be a story of the world abandoned by God told through the two characters. The premise also seems like it could be an action/adventure story, but I hope it isn't.

fertygo

Psycho-Pass 02

Dat freaking OP, such a delicious combination between great song and outstanding sequence. I hope its really implying what that really gonna happen in the story, Akane must kill Shinya for whatever reason. Too bad the ED really plain.. Ryo's been very inconsistent since he lose Nagi.

The episode itself is pretty boring though, nothing much happening and the interaction felt forced sometime especially Shinya's sweet talk near the end.. Oh well, I hope the next episode have focus on Shinya.

I need to mention, people said Akane have pretty weird look.. its funny because while I agree with that, she's the most pleasant to look compared to other female chara in this show so far.

Robotic; Notes 02

Kaito might be a douche, but I can't hate bastard that care alot about his girl.

Anyway, like PP nothing much happening, although for this case... again. But I like the interaction on here. Many said Aki is super annoying but I adore his energy, maybe I just pick wrong anime but its been a long time I'm watching/reading something with Genki girl, so her antic not bothering me at all, not to mention her anime design is very pretty.

And man.. I just love this laidback atmosphere + rural town setting, its remind me to downtime in Persona's game plus its just refreshing change from two predecessor series.

I've had to endure enough of that with the old Us model (released in volumes of 4-5 episodes, and sometimes an infuriating 3) where I often had to wait one or two months to find out what happened next. I really don't want to go through it again so that's probably the best idea. I will just have to wait a bit longer to see what the fuss is all about (and to see just how cute Mayuri really is).

This annoyed me soooooo much. Remember Gantz only getting 2 eps per release from ADV as well...good thing I didn't care for it at all. Kinda feel spoiled these days getting complete collections relatively cheaply.

On a completely different tangent...I really want there to be a non-upscale US blu ray release for RahXephon. At least I've got the DVD collection. Kinda want to rewatch it since it's been awhile.

Grzi

Zetsuen no Tempest - 03

A nice episode with some pretty good action and excellent direction, probably the best episode so far. The action wasn't on the level of the scene from the first episode but it still had a nice sense of motion and impact.

Next episode is a flashback, but I think I saw some action in the preview so it should be good. And it seems Yoshino finally gets a change of wardrobe so he'll start looking less generic. Yay!

OceanBlue

On a completely different tangent...I really want there to be a non-upscale US blu ray release for RahXephon. At least I've got the DVD collection. Kinda want to rewatch it since it's been awhile.

I wonder if this would be possible. I'm pretty sure cels were used by around that time but I don't know if digital animation was widely used yet. I don't really know much about animation so I'm probably really off the mark with this whole post, but if by now some of the cels were lost or thrown away, they probably couldn't do anything more than an upscale.

Kazzy

Medaka Box Abnormal 2
Decent episode, I was just glad for lots of Zenkichi and I had almost thought he'd stay weak in the series but fortunately that may not be the case?
I liked when he was all blushing and overcome with emotions that he had to turn away almost. Anyway hope he gets to a high level and exceeds being stuck as a "normal"?

He wants to be strong for Medaka, as she naturally draws in powerful enemies. As you saw, Maguro wanted him gone (years before) for this very reason, because he was a normal. Maguro accepting him was all just a vindication of his efforts. So don't worry, Zenkichi has one of the best moments of the entire arc, and it will address what you are referring to.

My Little Monster 3

This show is just a joy to watch. No other way to describe it. The characters are all great and they work well together, and for a RomCom its actually get the Com part and Rom parts right! What a novel idea!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Lol, the panty shots in High school of the dead are killing me.

edit: all right, this is amazing. I am just going to forget about my friends and family and watch anime in my room.

Welcome to AnimeGAF!

Now, tell me who was the person responsible for leading you to HSoTD, so I can punch them in the groin. Repeatedly.

*looks at post history*

Hooooboooooooooo! :p

Best decision of this year already, for me personally. I'm enjoying this much more than playing videogames, which I kinda burned out on.

Glad to have you here!

Ah, I was completely off the mark like I thought. Since it was produced digitally, doesn't that mean that people will have to settle for an upscale?

I'll admit I don't know much about animation, digital or otherwise, from a technical standpoint but I would think an HD remaster would be possible. Someone who knows more can correct me on that. In any case, I don't think the Japanese BD box is worth the $400~$500 it would take to obtain it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'll admit I don't know much about animation, digital or otherwise, from a technical standpoint but I would think an HD remaster would be possible. Someone who knows more can correct me on that. In any case, I don't think the Japanese BD box is worth the $400~$500 it would take to obtain it.
It's possible, but it's not possible.

They could always upres the vectored lineart, but it'd mean recoloring and recompositing the entire series. Not happening. They did it for parts of the movie that use footage from the series afaik though.

Jarmel

Banned
OP ranking

1.Psycho-Pass
2.My Little Monster-kun
3.Sword Art Online
4.JoJo
5.Magi
6. Robotics;Note
7.Zetsuen no Tempest
8.Jormungand
10.Btoom!