• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know how many times just as I was about to make a reply, something would come up and I'd be away from the internet for hours and then four or five new pages were there when I got back. I was going to respond to some things but they're 30 or 40 pages back now so never mind, it wasn't anything important, just things like Psycho Pass's trailer looked kind of slick.

I thought about posting some impressions but held off because I didn't want them to get drowned out in the weekend deluge of posts. I would like to get back to the impressions of Shin Sekai yori later though.

I think this episode really helps support the notion that the anime adaptation of Sailor Moon seems to hate
Naru
:(

That scene with the priest where he says something like
turn around to see the one you love, or turn around to find happiness and standing there is Zoicite, the person who orchestrated the death of the first person Naru ever really loved...even years ago I thought that was kind of some dark humour :(

This is an Ikuhara directed episode too!

Did you receive your box set for Usagi Drop yet? That seems like it would be a show your parents might enjoy.

I also quite like point B in your comment, not only do people discuss the oral narrative of a show but the visual narrative and techniques used. I like it when people talk about all the details such as framing, angles, lighting and the general scene flow and the different effects they achieve. A quick example is the conversations of Hyouka, such as Episode 3 with Oreki and Chitanda at the coffe shop. A simpler and more recent one would be one of the details Jexhius pointed out to people incase they missed it in the first episode of From the New World. The dinner conversation seems normal and the shot is framed such as the whole family is seen in the shot adding to the normalcy of the atmosphere but as the conversation becomes more heated the characters are separated and now only shown framed as two separate groups visually showing the discrepancy and segregation in their views and opinions.

It's also nice that while people can enjoy and talk about many older shows, they realize there are still many good new shows being made such as Fate/Zero, Tsuritama and Usagi Drop just to name a quick few.

OH I know what you mean. I suppose Im partly to blame for it getting to such a large number of pages, but Im not just replying to myself either :p

As for Sailor Moon, I have certainly noticed that Naru is an emotional scapegoat, similar to some of my beloved characters in other series. Naru is a cutie and I feel bad for her situation.

Regarding all that stuff about filming, lighting, angles, etc Im afraid I just dont pay that much attention to the details. Far too inattentive for that. Wish I could.

As for USagi Drop, yes I have received the boxset and its veryl ovely. It does seem to be the kind of show my Mother would appreciate.

Though I'm more a DS9 fan myself. I lost track how many times I rewatched the season 5 finale that summer while I waited for season 6.

Surprised you didn't notice earlier.

I noticed but didnt really think to comment on it. I just admired it from afar.

I just went through a ton of posts. I think I need to go ly dwn again. You guys post too much!

I don't know how many times just as I was about to make a reply, something would come up and I'd be away from the internet for hours and then four or five new pages were there when I got back. I was going to respond to some things but they're 30 or 40 pages back now so never mind, it wasn't anything important, just things like Psycho Pass's trailer looked kind of slick.

Just did this... I feel tired but I love you guys.

Joking! I have no clue what happened.

I think Pokemon Black/White 2 has happened.

To go along with that, there seemed to be an underlying level of maturity to the children. Some of the things they say, their reactions, some of things going on around them and the environment they live in. On one hand they are trying very hard to be children but there is a sense they are probably being forced to grow up rather quickly. Yeah they do things normal kids would do, but the first episode made it apparent that they have been exposed to some relatively disturbing things growing up that made them seem a bit subdued at times. Perhaps its just the way everything was presented, but it will certainly be interesting to see how their character progression plays out.

In brief, these children have already lost their innocence. They pretend to have it, but it just comes across as forced.

As far as their future development, this is where the
sex
presumably comes in.

That scene was really neat-looking.

It's similar to the style Yamashita used in his Naruto Shippuden ED (sorry for the poor YouTube video), only more refined.

Nafe

I just looked this up and I realize that all of the series highlights thus far (up to & including the amazing episode 31) have been Ikuni-directed episodes.

bow.gif

Yeah, I mentioned it to Hitokage around when I first started posting, that of the episodes that I could really remember since the last time I had seen the first series of the show many years ago, I remembered pretty much all of the Ikuhara directed ones. He must have done something right, right?

He directed the first movie as part of Sailor Moon R too. I'm pretty sure you've already seen that though right? I'm pretty sure I remember you and Hitokage talking about whether it or the Utena movie was sporting more roses haha. Although I do think those scene look nice in both movies.

Something I picked up on his eps, and I have no idea why, but Luna (and later Artemis) tend to be better animated. Maybe I'm crazy but they seemed to have been handled with much more care.

I'm not sure if I've ever consciously noticed that before, I'll have to remember to try and pay attention to that on my next watch.(Blurays where?) It wouldn't surprise me though if so as he seems to like cats.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Though I'm more a DS9 fan myself. I lost track how many times I rewatched the season 5 finale that summer while I waited for season 6.
Was that the Mark Twain one? lol

hey, eff you man, Descent was amazing!
Really? I think Lore peaked at that point. Of course, it was also the last season so I guess that works. :p

I think Pokemon Black/White 2 has happened.
Damn you Pikachu!

In brief, these children have already lost their innocence. They pretend to have it, but it just comes across as forced.

sex
presumably comes in.

Wow, they actually
have sex
?!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Really? I think Lore peaked at that point. Of course, it was also the last season so I guess that works. :p

At the time it was probably the most unholy alliance in Star Trek. And they had an ASYMMETRICAL SHIP. You can't hate it, it's just cool!

sonicmj1

This is especially obvious in the scene that introduces the children. It's a very believable childish argument, but the way it is presented is very sophisticated and "adult."

Related to that argument, there seems to be a reoccurring theme in the first episode about "winning". That argument is about whether they can declare a winner in their game of capture the flag, and most of Satoru's complaints about Reiko are related to how she hurts the group's chances of winning compared to other groups in their class.

It's normal for kids to be competitive, but I can see this tying together with some of the themes mentioned in that author interview.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
6 11 15 21 26 31 36 46

9hjYB.gif

Although I can't say I noticed those later episodes standing out in the same way, it was quite obvious that there was something special about episode 6 when I began watching Sailor Moon earlier this year. I'm not sure I could pinpoint what exactly made it different, but it certainly is interesting to see how most people have had that same reaction as I did.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ikuhara directed more Sailor Moon episodes than Utena episodes.
But if you had actually watched them, you'd see Ikuhara's fingerprints ALL over Utena.

FOR EXAMPLE

Goldfish Warning! 43 Part 1

This is where Cowbell of Happiness comes from.

Branduil

[From The New World ]- 1

Once again, this demonstrates how important the notion of childhood is to the story being told. Childhood is a time of obeying adults instructions and following their guidance, of obeying rules that perhaps you're too young to understand the full implications of. The world of this show is filled to the brim with such rules: don't stay out too late, don't cross the boundary line, don't look in the courtyard etc etc. Compliance with these rules seems very important, presumably become it limits the children's interaction with the 'outside world'. A world that the adults are trying to keep hidden and about which we, in the audience, know nothing at all.

I thought this theme was made pretty clear from the opening scene with the argument about the game:

It's especially interesting juxtaposed directly after
the psychic children "break the rules" by directly and literally assaulting society.

One Piece 182 - 195
tumblr_m46g27uOxY1qi030io1_250.gif

Finally this awful Skypeia arc is over. I do not know what Oda was thinking when he penned this but he should have definitely gone back to the drawing board or something. This is one of those cases where I wish he had been inspired by Mashima, of Fairy Tail the other grande adventure battle shounen of the age, to learn how to structure his arcs in such a way as to continuously keep my attention. Skypeia was plagued far too much with fights no one cared about, history that was just dull and placed in the worst places, themes that are just boring, and an antagonist that is just awful. Even worst, how the arc concluded is just really unsatisfactory
Enel simply just not even being defeated and going off to space
. I thought the anime would make it better but it just made it just as bad. This arc is truly the worst canon arc in all shounen anime that I have seen and experienced, just as bad as this anime's portrayl of Davy Back.

The best moment of the arc is actually episode 195 as well as the very first episode. Rising up to the clouds and then just the whole thing back down is always an epic adventurous experience full of great moments of crew camaraderie. One Piece is at its best when all the straw hats are together.

And is mantra, really pronounced MAN_TA_DAH? Funidub...

Instro

sex
presumably comes in.

Ah that's right, I had forgotten about that particular element of the story. Definitely in agreement with the first part of your post.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Goldfish Warning! 43 Part 2

Ikuhara really does like throwing in technical animation into stuff that doesn't usually call for it.

I survived the creepshot thread! Woo!
I thought these things were clear by now. Perhaps a small guide is in order:

A) Piracy
B) Gender Issues
C) Religion
D) Politics
E) Tipping
Man, where's the fun in that? Sometimes you have to get your hands a little dirty.
What's it like having parents who don't mind watching anime...?
Speaking of, I got my sister to check out Tari Tari at firehawk's indirect recommendation. She said it was surprisingly bearable(audiovisual wise), but it was too boring to make her want to watch more.
I'm still slowly slogging through idolm@ster at your recommendation, and trying to finish Serial Experiments Lain, which I'm not liking that much compared to Texhnolyze. Lain does have a great opening song at least.
Aw. I'm not expecting it to be as good as Texhnolyze, but this is still a bit worrying. Is there anything in particular you dislike about it?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Shinsekai yori 1

I have absolutely no idea of what's going on, but the visuals and soundtrack are top-notch, and I love these shows that give out "everything will go wrong" vibes... So count me in.

yami4ct

Ok, finally back from checking out part of my first batch of recommendations. Guess I'll tackle the reviews in the order I checked them out.

From the New World 01
Opening was absolutely amazing. The grizzly scenes paired with classical music pulled off the mood they were going for really well. So far, don't really like too many of the characters, but I could easily see that changing. Animation looked fantastic. Great setting as well. Overall, episode did well building tension for what I can only assume are the horrors to come. Excited to check out more.

Accel World 01
Oh boy did this episode not do a great job on selling its series. The main character is one of the most obnoxiously timid, self-loathing protagonists I've seen. I mean, he even choose a pig as his in-game avatar. He clearly has self-image issues. The character designs are so miss-matched and strangely styled to the point of being awkward. None of the other side characters have shown anything interesting yet. Battle scene and its animation at the very end are promising, though. I'll give it a bit more time, but so far I'm not impressed.

Space Brothers 01
Clearly the winner of the bunch. I was sold as soon as I heard Hiroaki Hirata's voice come on. Dude makes Sanji and Kotetsu as awesome as those characters are and he does the same for Mutta. His comedic timing is absolutely perfect. Writing for this show is spot on as well. Interesting premise and great characters lay a great groundwork. Excited to see how this builds. Super sold.

cajunator

Banned
I survived the creepshot thread! Woo!

Man, where's the fun in that? Sometimes you have to get your hands a little dirty.

Speaking of, I got my sister to check out Tari Tari at firehawk's indirect recommendation. She said it was surprisingly bearable(audiovisual wise), but it was too boring to make her want to watch more.

Aw. I'm not expecting it to be as good as Texhnolyze, but this is still a bit worrying. Is there anything in particular you dislike about it?

Lain is very effective as a mindfuck. Its not the kind of show you can watch in the background while doing other things. You have to devote 100% of your attention to it to really understand it. I have of course had immense difficulty doing this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura Season 2 will air in summer 2013.
*cries happy tears on his Honda bike*

At the time it was probably the most unholy alliance in Star Trek. And they had an ASYMMETRICAL SHIP. You can't hate it, it's just cool!
Haha. I suppose it's better than what Voyager did with the Borg. :p

Surprisingly bearable? lol

I suppose it is boring if you've been weened on Ryan Murphy for the last three+ years. :p

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Shinsekai yori 1

I have absolutely no idea of what's going on, but the visuals and soundtrack are top-notch, and I love these shows that give out "everything will go wrong" vibes... So count me in.

This show scares me. I think if I start watching it it's going to fuck my mind. Fuck it hard... and I don't think I'm ready for a mind-fuck at the moment. ;_;

Yeah, it's a trend that's creeping up in episodic television now too. So the cliffhangers have to get bigger and bigger.

You know what's funny? I never watched Dallas but "Who shot JR?" is something that I just know because of how unprecedented that cliffhanger was. All the mythology surrounding it - the fact that they filmed fake endings so that there would be no leaks - including the fact that The Simpsons did a parody of it with "Who shot Mr. Burns?", only exist because of how shocking the idea of a cliffhanger was at the time.

Now, every season of every show ends with someone getting shot, or killed, or kidnapped, or quitting the force, or whatever... and they've become so meaningless that none of them are really cultural events that will last into the next generation.

Like, I can't really think of a single cliffhanger finale for Lost. I mean, "WE HAVE TO GO BACK" is probably the only one that immediately comes to mind but I don't even remember the context of that ending.

I watched 5 or 6 seasons of 24, the show defined by the cliffhanger ending, and I can't remember any of them. I think in one season Jack goes to Africa to save some orphans and he gets captured and returned to the US or something? Who knows.

I don't know if there's a solution to that. David Simon's pseudo-cliffhangery-but-not-really endings to his seasons are pretty good. But then again, no one likes his shows so that's probably not the best way to go about it. lol

We've hit the cliff-hanger singularity.

I have a general question for you about Binbougami Ga!. Spoilers for those who haven't watched the show...
does "clean Momiji" ever show up in the manga again or was that just a one time thing for this arc?

Of what's available in English,
she hasn't made another appearance. I have no idea if she will or not, but she did say it was unlikely, so I doubt it beyond small cameos.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yeah, it's a trend that's creeping up in episodic television now too. So the cliffhangers have to get bigger and bigger.

You know what's funny? I never watched Dallas but "Who shot JR?" is something that I just know because of how unprecedented that cliffhanger was. All the mythology surrounding it - the fact that they filmed fake endings so that there would be no leaks - including the fact that The Simpsons did a parody of it with "Who shot Mr. Burns?", only exist because of how shocking the idea of a cliffhanger was at the time.

Now, every season of every show ends with someone getting shot, or killed, or kidnapped, or quitting the force, or whatever... and they've become so meaningless that none of them are really cultural events that will last into the next generation.

Like, I can't really think of a single cliffhanger finale for Lost. I mean, "WE HAVE TO GO BACK" is probably the only one that immediately comes to mind but I don't even remember the context of that ending.

I watched 5 or 6 seasons of 24, the show defined by the cliffhanger ending, and I can't remember any of them. I think in one season Jack goes to Africa to save some orphans and he gets captured and returned to the US or something? Who knows.

I don't know if there's a solution to that. David Simon's pseudo-cliffhangery-but-not-really endings to his seasons are pretty good. But then again, no one likes his shows so that's probably not the best way to go about it. lol

I think we'll eventually reach a point when every single non-abstract storytelling mechanism will be overused and banalized, haha.

This show scares me. I think if I start watching it it's going to fuck my mind. Fuck it hard... and I don't think I'm ready for a mind-fuck at the moment. ;_;

The potential for mindfucks is definitely there. That I can tell you.

cajunator

Banned

We've hit the cliff-hanger singularity.

It is honestly pretty unsettling already. There is an underlying tension in the show, and combined with the music and setting, it really can freak you out.

RurouniZel

It is honestly pretty unsettling already. There is an underlying tension in the show, and combined with the music and setting, it really can freak you out.

Yikes. Definitely going to wait until it's done before deciding whether I'm gonna jump in or not. Too many sharks in this swimming pool...

duckroll

Are you kidding me? Every single season finale in Lost was a goddamn cliffhanger.

Season 1 = Hatch
Season 2 = "We're the good guys." + Guys in Arctic
Season 3 = "We have to go back"
Season 4 = Coffin reveal
Season 5 =
Jacob's death

survivor

Banned
Moyashimon returns 5

Haha, they managed to have another crazy festival just like the one from the previous season. As usual, Misato and Kawahamo are scheming another crazy plan. I wonder if it's perverted as the one from the last season.

Lain is very effective as a mindfuck. Its not the kind of show you can watch in the background while doing other things. You have to devote 100% of your attention to it to really understand it. I have of course had immense difficulty doing this.
I do enjoy mindfucks, but not all mindfucks are created equal. Lain is pretty :cajun, though, right?

Surprisingly bearable? lol

I suppose it is boring if you've been weened on Ryan Murphy for the last three+ years. :p
She can't stand Japanese music(at least of what she's heard me listening to), and the image she has in her head of anime art is apparently actively repulsive.

She was a big Nip/Tuck fan, as well, so you're probably right about the Murphyism.

RurouniZel

Seriously SDBurton, your avatar is better than the entire show from which it's based. Major [redacted] every time you post! :D Keep posting! ;D

Stoof

All this From the New World talk makes me want to watch it but I already decided to wait till Tuesday. ;_;

Space Brothers 01
Clearly the winner of the bunch. I was sold as soon as I heard Hiroaki Hirata's voice come on. Dude makes Sanji and Kotetsu as awesome as those characters are and he does the same for Mutta. His comedic timing is absolutely perfect. Writing for this show is spot on as well. Interesting premise and great characters lay a great groundwork. Excited to see how this builds. Super sold.

Space Bros. is just plain awesome. And have you seen Tsuritama yet? Sorry if you've mentioned it or been recommended it but the pages go by so fast. D: It's a great show that just gets better after every episode!

Instro

Glad you liked it! Nice write up.

Yeah, from other impressions I've seen around the thread it seems like everyone was pretty positive about it which I think is pretty cool. I was fairly skeptical of the project for quite some time, but so far it is managing to carve out its own identity within the Geass universe. There's a lot that could have gone wrong here, between the CG and it being a story within the universe of a very popular property, but so far so good.

yami4ct

Space Bros. is just plain awesome. And have you seen Tsuritama yet? Sorry if you've mentioned it or been recommended it but the pages go by so fast. D: It's a great show that just gets better after every episode!
If I have, I missed it. Need to go through all the replies and mark stuff down. Sounds good, I'll check it out.
Yeah, from other impressions I've seen around the thread it seems like everyone was pretty positive about it which I think is pretty cool. I was fairly skeptical of the project for quite some time, but so far it is managing to carve out its own identity within the Geass universe. There's a lot that could have gone wrong here, between the CG and it being a story within the universe of a very popular property, but so far so good.
I'm apparanty the odd man out on this one. Eh, I can accept that. This thing just did nothing for me.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ok, finally back from checking out part of my first batch of recommendations. Guess I'll tackle the reviews in the order I checked them out.

From the New World 01
Opening was absolutely amazing. The grizzly scenes paired with classical music pulled off the mood they were going for really well. So far, don't really like too many of the characters, but I could easily see that changing. Animation looked fantastic. Great setting as well. Overall, episode did well building tension for what I can only assume are the horrors to come. Excited to check out more.

Accel World 01
Oh boy did this episode not do a great job on selling its series. The main character is one of the most obnoxiously timid, self-loathing protagonists I've seen. I mean, he even choose a pig as his in-game avatar. He clearly has self-image issues. The character designs are so miss-matched and strangely styled to the point of being awkward. None of the other side characters have shown anything interesting yet. Battle scene and its animation at the very end are promising, though. I'll give it a bit more time, but so far I'm not impressed.

Space Brothers 01

These reactions are similar to what I was expecting, good on you for giving them all a try!

I see Tsuritama mentioned above, and I recommend it as well. It's a fun story about growing up couched in a creative environment about fishing, aliens, and saving the world.

Instro

Boy, juniors sure do have good taste these days.

I'm apparanty the odd man out on this one. Eh, I can accept that. This thing just did nothing for me.

Oh I'm sure you're not alone, I don't think we ever have shows that we are in 100% agreement on one way or another.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
http://www.tk-anime.info/bluray_dvd/index.html

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is being sneakier about how long it is. The first DVD/BD is dated, and it only contains 1 episode. So that could either mean 9 volumes for 25 episodes, or 7 volumes for 13 episodes. We won't know for sure until the episode count for the second volume is revealed.

I haven't really read enough of the manga to be sure, but I think it could work as either 12 or 24 episodes. A fair amount of it is more "slice of life" for lack of a better term, where the leads simply tackle various problems around them. Those kinds of experiences could easily be shortened for a 12 episode long series, or expanded upon to fill out a 24 episode series. Either way, I'm hoping it ends up as enjoyable as the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom