• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I haven't really read enough of the manga to be sure, but I think it could work as either 12 or 24 episodes. A fair amount of it is more "slice of life" for lack of a better term, where the leads simply tackle various problems around them. Those kinds of experiences could easily be shortened for a 12 episode long series, or expanded upon to fill out a 24 episode series. Either way, I'm hoping it ends up as enjoyable as the manga.

Yeah I think ultimately it depends on how much they want to charge for the home video release (which could be an indication of how hardcore they think the fanbase would be?) because 7 volumes for 13 episodes is way more expensive than 9 volumes for 25 episodes. Lol.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
yami4ct, you should watch up to episode 5 of AW. That's when the show hits its earliest high point imo.

Steins;Gate 05-06 DUB

Great stuff and the dub is very well done. YAY!

Branduil

Heh, I remember that. lol

All I'll say about From The New World is that I generally prefer introductions to a universe to happen later on... if at all. I'm not sure anything is gained by telling the audience that
people spontaneously exploded
before jumping into the main story. I just think the strength of the story should carry the world, not the other way around.
Then again, I am a fan of Aria and Sora no Woto I suppose.

It's called an opening hook.

I think the purpose of that sequence is to establish that the fictional world presented in From the New World is meant to derive from our present-day reality - it's the point of divergence, as it were. It sets up the central mystery of "What happened to change society from what we know right now to what Saki knows?" That'll be gradually unpacked as the series progresses.

That too. It's the difference between it being sci-fi and fantasy!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
yami4ct, you should watch up to episode 5 of AW. That's when the show hits its earliest high point imo.

Steins;Gate 05-06 DUB

Great stuff and the dub is very well done. YAY!

I wonder how they handle the "I am mad scientist" scene.

cajunator

Banned
I do enjoy mindfucks, but not all mindfucks are created equal. Lain is pretty :cajun, though, right?

She can't stand Japanese music(at least of what she's heard me listening to), and the image she has in her head of anime art is apparently actively repulsive.

She was a big Nip/Tuck fan, as well, so you're probably right about the Murphyism.

Lain is definitely on he :cajun side of things. but not in the traditional sense. She's more artsy cute, if that makes sense.

Oh look, here comes the "it gets better when you watch up to episode [x]" defense force. Lol.

To be fair, a lot of shows are like that.
Accel World seems to be love it or hate it though.

survivor

Banned
Moyashimon Returns 6

Jesus, theses people are so creepy.
Bidding so high for chewed gum, crazy fanbase is crazy.
So I guess now
the retrieval arc will begin? Should be fun but I hope most of the cast will travel there.

It's pretty good that they managed to keep up with the last festival arc. I guess the payoff wasn't as interesting but there was still a lot of crazy and fun adventures happening so it was all good at the end.

duckroll

One episode? Is that at all common?

It's not uncommon for the first volume to be cheaper and include either 1 or 2 episodes. For example if you have a 26 episode series, and you want to sell 3 episodes per volume normally, it'll be a 9 volume series, with 2 episode on Vol1 and 3 episodes on the rest.

kayos90

It's not uncommon for the first volume to be cheaper and include either 1 or 2 episodes. For example if you have a 26 episode series, and you want to sell 3 episodes per volume normally, it'll be a 9 volume series, with 2 episode on Vol1 and 3 episodes on the rest.

Do you know why they do that? I never understood it.

cajunator

Banned
Do you know why they do that? I never understood it.

I dunno, but Im guessing that its to get people to buy in. Once theyre onboard, they can usually be sold followup volumes at slightly higher cost.
The Us market used to work the opposite, with the initial volume having more episodes and an artbox and subsequent volumes being sold standalone for cheaper.

That makes sense, in the whole Japanese DVD market sense.

So, it could either likely be a 13 or a 25 episode series then?

Nafe

Of what's available in English,
she hasn't made another appearance. I have no idea if she will or not, but she did say it was unlikely, so I doubt it beyond small cameos.

Aww, that's too bad.
I definitely liked regular Momoji but honestly I was really getting to like clean Momiji. Well, if there's maybe a cameo sometime in the future I definitely wouldn't mind it.

Since Haruka Tomatsu did the voice for Ranmaru, I wonder what she'll sound like as Mor in Magi.

Sailor Moon R has an planetary body covered entirely in flowers, so it wins in that respect, but Adolescence Apocalypse has all-time best rose scene:

Oh I love that scene! That's
the dance scene right?

I think the stars look so amazing, so any show that has the night sky being reflected in a type of reflection pool like that I love! I'm pretty sure one of the endings to Gundam 00 did a very similar thing with some flowers in the water plus it was also reflecting the Earth because it was on the moon or a ship. Fabulous Max! :)

Hopefully Japan won't miss out on the many merchandising opportunities available to them when the new Sailor Moon hits next year!

I hope so! Hopefully they're more affordable too but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't. :(

Yeah, probably because he directed zero episodes of Revolutionary Girl Utena.

He kinda directed the entire series though. Troll harder next time.

As much as I think of Ikuhara when I think of Utena that is kind of an interesting fact about Utena in that he wasn't actually the episode director of any episodes. He even got in on things in Mawaru Penguindrum and co-directed the last episode, episode 24, along with Nakamura Shouko and Yamazaki Mitsue. That's 1-0 haha.

During the remastering of Utena, instead of fixing any of the many derpfaces in the last arc, they added a few frames of animation to Touga's hand stroking Akio's car. I wish I was kidding.

Alright, I laughed.

Branduil

One of you get banned so I can use this
tumblr_mav05vdaO81qzqnxxo1_500.gif

I just noticed her hyper-extended elbow.

cajunator

Banned
No, I mean... why not just have certain ones have one more episodes. IRCC, certain series in the past did this.

The typical format was something like 5,4,4,3,3,3,4 for 26 episodes (Noir) and 7 volumes, 4,3,3,3 for 13 episodes, and strangely 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3 for maximum fleecing of 24 episode series (Stellvia and Kiddy Grade)

There are other threads?

This is the right attitude to have to minimize your chance of being banned.

duckroll

The typical format was something like 5,4,4,3,3,3,4 for 26 episodes (Noir) and 7 volumes, 4,3,3,3 for 13 episodes, and strangely 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3 for maximum fleecing of 24 episode series (Stellvia and Kiddy Grade)

Erm, you're thinking of the US releases which are completely different. Please don't confuse the matter. Noir was 13 volumes in Japan, 2 episode each. :p

duckroll

For some reason, that at least sets a precedent.

Not like, oh, most of the volumes have 3 episodes but we decided to squeeze more money out of you guys by reducing them just so you have to buy another volume.

Well it's not really any different. The volumes with less episodes are always cheaper, and come with a bit more extras. It would still be cheaper to buy a 9 volume 24 episode series than a 12 volume 24 episode series. So I don't see how it's "squeezing more money" out of someone compared to 12 volumes. :p

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure! 33:

SHUT UP NAO

------

Well, this episode had a fun premise but pretty lame execution. You'll like it if you like Pop or episodes where the characters cosplay. Have some really disjointed picture commentary:

OHGOD

This week's Akanbe was actually pretty hax--it was like something that Soular from Fresh! Precure would have cooked up in his prime. Unfortunately, Akaoni is an enormous dunce and managed to fuck things up so badly that
he got solo'd by fuckin' CANDY of all people
. INFINITE SHAME.
The Precure being stuck in their poses by the Akanbe's power
was good for a laugh.

are we SURE that Ishikawa Goemon XIII invented this? I see it everywhere now.

kayos90

EDIT

Well it's not really any different. The volumes with less episodes are always cheaper, and come with a bit more extras. It would still be cheaper to buy a 9 volume 24 episode series than a 12 volume 24 episode series. So I don't see how it's "squeezing more money" out of someone compared to 12 volumes. :p

Oh... didn't know that. I thought it'd be the same.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I think it was Westlo who mentioned something along the lines of "...the effect of Nyarlko wears off after a few episodes." I'm on episode 3 of Nyaruko and it's already starting to feel like that. Kind of the same jokes every show with only a little development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom