• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Why stop at just Kirito when he would improve the likability of every character?

I think I'll take it to the SAO OT if I can get a rant going, hahah.

Why? I think it'd be good discussion and further expand upon why AnimeGAF truly hates Asuna and prefers other characters that gets less screen time.

duckroll

I'm surprised they can afford anything with such little money.

I'm wondering if the music video was ever completed. Updates seem to have stopped at some point (presumably going to backers only), and there is no recent mention of the project anywhere online. Did anyone help fund this? Has anyone seen the video? Are there credits? How long is it? Is is any good?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Why? I think it'd be good discussion and further expand upon why AnimeGAF truly hates Asuna and prefers other characters that gets less screen time.

Well, in that case, give me a few more episodes so that I can better pin down her essence.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
We can only hope.

For a sec I thought they were going to use the tear/"heart" to revive her like he did with Silica's pet. But I guess it only works for pets? :lol

Well, she was basically a pet, so... Uuuuugh.

Jex

Maybe. It's been awhile and I have a compulsion to finish shows I get more than halfway through.

Judging by how often someone in this thread states that they have to finish shows they start, I wonder if large amount of us have slightly more OCD than the average slice of society?

jman2050

Haha. I stopped watching SAO after ep 4, but this sounds like exactly what I'd expect from it.

SAO almost feels like one of those fictional satirical shows that appear inside another show.
I can just see the Haganai crew gathered around the TV watching this. Kodaka's face is twitching in disbelief. He turns to Sena to comment on how ridiculous it is, only to find tears are pouring down her face and she begins gushing about how much of a masterpiece SAO is.

You managed to express everything that is wrong with SAO in one succinct analogy. Kudos to you.

I still enjoy it though, so I guess I'm more Sena than Kodaka

Well, enjoy that.

... because that's all you're getting!

zbxKG.png

Kazzy

Judging by how often someone in this thread states that they have to finish shows they start, I wonder if large amount of us have slightly more OCD than the average slice of society?

SAO is the exception, it can cut right through those tendencies!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

There's an unfortunate amount of people who encourage this by saying "It gets good when you get to episode 12/the culture festival/skypea/etc so just stick with it through the boring and bad parts!"

On the other hand, I have watched a few shows that began poorly but did end up worthwhile - I think it's that constant hope that a show may turn around that really keeps people trying to stick with something they don't enjoy.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

The seventeen times that I selected "preview post" before submitting this reply would suggest yes.

DiGiKerot

I threw into the Kick-Heart kickstarter, though I have to admit, the only Yuasa anime I've seen in the past was Tatami Galaxy (which, admittedly, was fabulous). I should probably watch his other stuff at some point.

I've no desire to throw in $10,000, though - even if I could spare the funds, I'm pretty sure that dinner with Yuasa and Oshii would be an amazing way of making me feel as thick as two short planks.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There's an unfortunate amount of people who encourage this by saying "It gets good when you get to episode 12/the culture festival/skypea/etc so just stick with it through the boring and bad parts!"

On the other hand, I have watched a few shows that began poorly but did end up worthwhile - I think it's that constant hope that a show may turn around that really keeps people trying to stick with something they don't enjoy.

To be fair, One Piece gets good way before Skypiea!

/XX/

I'm wondering if the music video was ever completed. Updates seem to have stopped at some point (presumably going to backers only), and there is no recent mention of the project anywhere online. Did anyone help fund this? Has anyone seen the video? Are there credits? How long is it? Is is any good?
I don't think it has been completed yet.

Articalys

Hmm, if Kaze prepared this boxart for the French release of Mawaru Penguindrum, I wonder if Sentai's final cover will be similar.
Then again, theirs is a full series set, while Sentai split their release into two halves, so...

This was me with Gundam AGE :(. At least until the point where I finally accepted that wasn't going to happen but decided to stick with it anyway because I'm stubborn and/or so I could warn future generations.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hmm, if Kaze prepared this boxart for the French release of Mawaru Penguindrum, I wonder if Sentai's final cover will be similar.

Then again, theirs is a full series set, while Sentai split their release into two halves, so...
Lucky Frenchies.

Jex

I understand that some shows do, really truly, improve as they go along. Hyouka is a fair example of this, as is Towards the Terra/Terra e.... However they always seem like the exception to the rule - it's far more often that a show will start out promising and fall apart a few episodes on.

Grzi

Star Driver - Vague random final impressions or something

I ended up enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would, given how largely formulaic and repetitive it can be. I think a lot of this is due to the show's design choices, particularly character and mechanical. I loved the Kiroboshi versions of all those characters and their associated Cybodies were all very unique and interesting. I'll admit that way back when I watched one episode and put it on hold that I wasn't crazy about Tauburn's design, but it really grew on me when I watched it through this time.

The story, while not perfect, was more than serviceable. Everything that took place in Zero Time was probably my favorite part of the show. The Cybody fights were all entertaining and well choreographed, especially as the series progressed.

I should also mention that I really like the soundtrack, especially Monochrome (though I really prefer the version that leads into the Cybody fights but couldn't find it). The second OP (Shining Star) really grew on me as well.

Glad I picked up the BD's for this...a very enjoyable series indeed.

Next up is Fantastic Children thanks to recommendations from duckroll, among others.

Welcome to the club of people who liked the show!

There's me, you, DTL, maybe Envelope and two or three more people :(

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I understand that some shows do, really truly, improve as they go along. Hyouka is a fair example of this, as is Towards the Terra/Terra e.... However they always seem like the exception to the rule - it's far more often that a show will start out promising and fall apart a few episodes on.

Eureka Seven AO is one good example of the latter.

/XX/

This comment:

Cristina Vee's animated music video! Studio A.P.P.P Japan by Cristina Vee » Quick update for June~! — Kickstarter said:
Zachary Lewis on September 8
So much anticipation ... so much suspense!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ated-music-video-studio-appp-jap/posts/257415

Poor guy was still waiting as of 3 weeks ago, and I haven't seen anything more recent.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1

Pretty fun! It did a good job of capturing the manga's blend of humor and sweetness, and smoothed out some of its rough edges through sharp direction and storyboarding. Shizuku and Haru have good chemistry together, and I think the voice actors did a pretty god job of portraying their characters. Haru's quirkiness and how people react to it was brought out nicely. The show is quite pleasant to look at; the animation, if not outstanding, is solid with some nice cuts for the comedic moments, and I like the bright colors and art. Promising start.

duckroll

My Little Monster - Episode 1

Holy fucking shit. Brains Base isn't just back, they've gone beyond my imagination. This is by far the most impression first episode of this genre I have seen in years. Romantic comedies aren't really my genre, but I do give the ones which look interesting a try, especially those with shoujo elements. Here, I was totally blown away. I didn't really know what to expect, but boy.... that was so fucking good.

The production here is top notch. Everything from the backgrounds, to the character art, to the animation, it just pops out. Bright colors, nice lighting, really charming atmosphere. It definitely feels like something like Jellyfish Princess, rather than Penguindrum or Sengoku Collection. There's a real sense of polish in the visuals which gives the solid direction that extra push.

But the real winner here that elevates the entire work from "great" to "amazing" is the script. I'm not familiar with the manga, so I don't know how faithful this is, but it definitely can't be easy to pack the sequence of events in the introductory episode into a normal runtime while still feeling like everything has space to breath. Nothing felt rushed, the characters were developed well, the jokes were funny, and they explored an entire spectrum of emotions. Really amazing stuff.

P.S. Oh and the OP rocks too. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom