• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonari no Kaibutusu-kun 01

NAM1P.gif

Fall Season Redeemed! I don't care how the rest of the shows end up being, this episode was amazing and it can totally be my base for the rest of the season.

So, everything is so colorful yet, all it does is add to the setting and the characters. This adaptation was really well done and the pacing was amazing. I feel like so much stuff happened midway through the episode and still couldn't believe that the episode wasn't over yet. Yet, nothing felt rushed. They weren't running through the material as fast as they could, everything felt covered, nothing really felt glossed over. Yet, they still managed to cover two chapters of the manga.

If anything, they done a really good job for the early chapters where the background stuff was quite a blur. They added quite a lot of polish to the already good series and I can't wait to see where they will take this.

My Little Monster - Episode 1

But the real winner here that elevates the entire work from "great" to "amazing" is the script. I'm not familiar with the manga, so I don't know how faithful this is, but it definitely can't be easy to pack the sequence of events in the introductory episode into a normal runtime while still feeling like everything has space to breath. Nothing felt rushed, the characters were developed well, the jokes were funny, and they explored an entire spectrum of emotions. Really amazing stuff.

It's basically a faithful adaptation of the first 2 chapters of the manga, but the anime really tightened things up. The manga had some confusing time skips and Shizuku's inner monologue rambled a bit, while the anime's script left out and added in just the right things to make everything flow briskly and smoothly. I'm really impressed by how it handled the pacing.

I loved the rooster-focused next episode preview, BTW.

LXEo5.jpg

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I threw into the Kick-Heart kickstarter, though I have to admit, the only Yuasa anime I've seen in the past was Tatami Galaxy (which, admittedly, was fabulous). I should probably watch his other stuff at some point.

Aww man you're missing out. One of the only directors worth getting excited about these days

Kaiba is one of my all time favorites. All of his directorial works are good though

I'd donate to this if I had the cash. Hopefully I can scrounge up something by the end of the month

I understand that some shows do, really truly, improve as they go along. Hyouka is a fair example of this, as is Towards the Terra/Terra e.... However they always seem like the exception to the rule - it's far more often that a show will start out promising and fall apart a few episodes on.

I wouldn't consider them exceptions at all. Slow starts are prominent in all mediums, and they have a harder battle fighting for your time than other stuff because all you have to go on is the word of fans.

I think people here have gotten too used to 1 cour shows, many of the good ones needing bombastic openings or they won't feel worth it.

duckroll

It's basically a faithful adaptation of the first 2 chapters of the manga, but the anime really tightened things up. The manga had some confusing time skips and Shizuku's inner monologue rambled a bit, while the anime's script left out and added in just the right things to make everything flow briskly and smoothly. I'm really impressed by how it handled the pacing.

I'm like, totally fucking impressed with the show. Maybe not reading any of the manga beforehand or knowing what would happen helped, but I'm over the moon here. Everything just worked. It was charming, funny, the characters are great, and everything is so "pretty" in this comforting and appealing way. The color design for the show is amazing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 01:

Damn, that was superb. It was colorful, energetic, and, most importantly for a relationship story, I can't adequately relate just how great the character chemistry is. Shizuku and Haru already feel wonderfully intricate after a single episode, and I don't think that I've ever been able to understand so thoroughly why two characters complement each other after so short a time. I don't watch much shoujo so this may be par for the course, but I'm highly impressed. This was a total joy to watch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thanks for the late notice.. buddy. >:I :lol
You're the one who should have them on your RSS feed. :p

Catching up on some anime shopping.

cidq0.jpg

Final volumes of Bodacious Space Pirates, Waiting in the Summer, and Haganai.
Also the Haganai OVA, which seems to be getting pretty positive impressions so looking forward to that.
At this point, I would consider buying Space Pirates if it came out on disc. That's how starved I am for simple scifi content lol.

I don't think anyone is ever going to pick up AnoNatsu though. :(

---

Oh, and since Jexhius reads every post - the Yuasa kickstarter prices include shipping.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tonari no Kaibutusu-kun 01

NAM1P.gif

Fall Season Redeemed! I don't care how the rest of the shows end up being, this episode was amazing and it can totally be my base for the rest of the season.

So, everything is so colorful yet, all it does is add to the setting and the characters. This adaptation was really well done and the pacing was amazing. I feel like so much stuff happened midway through the episode and still couldn't believe that the episode wasn't over yet. Yet, nothing felt rushed. They weren't running through the material as fast as they could, everything felt covered, nothing really felt glossed over. Yet, they still managed to cover two chapters of the manga.

If anything, they done a really good job for the early chapters where the background stuff was quite a blur. They added quite a lot of polish to the already good series and I can't wait to see where they will take this.

This is a RomCom right? I may jump on this train.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1-

Wow. Just wow. I was already hyped for this show but that was even better than I imagined. Superb visuals and likeable characters, and dat OP. I seriously love how this show looks. Did not expect that at all. I hope the rest of the show can live up to this introduction.

jman2050

My Little Monster 1

I give. Duckroll wins this round.

So yeah, basically everything about this show was awesome. And not awesome in a "haha that's so dumb it's silly" type of way, I mean legit awesome. I can only hope it stays this awesome as the show goes along.

And this was especially a breath of fresh air after...

Sword Art Online 11+12

It's remarkable how little I care about Kirito and Asuna and their relationship. And the whole thing with Yui in the end was just... come on, really?

I like the show overall but 11 and 12 was legit bad.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1

Wow, this was an excellent, surprisingly impressive introductory episode.

Shizuku and Haru are great characters, and their growing relationship is quite engaging so far, as they have really excellent, believable chemistry, which is likely benefited by the very good voice acting on display. I'm really looking forward to see how these characters and their relationship develop.

The direction was terrific, as it handled the pacing of the episode with a confident ease, never feeling rushed or particularly hurried in the covering of any of the various developments. The humor was refreshingly quick-paced and rarely failed to deliver a laugh, which is quite uncommon for a show of this nature. The art is superb, particularly in how vivid and colorful the backgrounds are. The animation is quite good as well.

Also, the OP was amazing.

All in all, this is definitely one of the most promising romantic comedies I've seen in quite some time.

I'm like, totally fucking impressed with the show. Maybe not reading any of the manga beforehand or knowing what would happen helped, but I'm over the moon here. Everything just worked. It was charming, funny, the characters are great, and everything is so "pretty" in this comforting and appealing way. The color design for the show is amazing.

Oh, absolutely.

QaIXc.jpg

In shots like this, it kind of reminds me of Tsuritama.

I also feel like posting my favorite shot of the OP:

FLF6H.jpg

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 01:

Damn, that was superb. It was colorful, energetic, and, most importantly for a relationship story, I can't adequately relate just how great the character chemistry is. Shizuku and Haru already feel wonderfully intricate after a single episode, and I don't think that I've ever been able to understand so thoroughly why two characters complement each other after so short a time. I don't watch much shoujo so this may be par for the course, but I'm highly impressed. This was a total joy to watch.

It certainly is not. It is much brighter and high-energy than is typical for shoujo romance, and it may be the best looking anime in the genre that I've seen - with the caveat that I haven't seen Kimi ni Todoke, which is generally praised for its production values (and also directed by Hiro Kaburaki!).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sword Art Online 11+12

It's remarkable how little I care about Kirito and Asuna and their relationship. And the whole thing with Yui in the end was just... come on, really?

I like the show overall but 11 and 12 was legit bad.

Is there a specific reason you hate their relationship? Other than you know... it coming out of the blue.

Kazzy

K-ON!! - Episode 7

J9nbA.jpg

Beware the quiet ones

Only in K-ON! would the premise of a stalkerish fan-club turn out to be a sweet episode! I often think she is the crazy one, but Mio's dislike of having her own dedicated fan club seems completely legitimate. Especially when they are willing to follow you around over something as frivolous as a sticker.

Ritsu also makes a great case for the unreliable narrator, and it seems as though, Mugi isn't the only one with yuri-goggles.

85P40.jpg

The show was a self-fulfilling prophecy, they already had the merchandise ready to go!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
K-ON!! - Episode 7

Only in K-ON! would the premise of a stalkerish fan-club turn out to be a sweet episode! I often think she is the crazy one, but Mio's dislike of having her own dedicated fan club seems completely legitimate. Especially when they are willing to follow you around over something as frivolous as a sticker.
It's not sexual harassment if there's no touching involved.

Jex

I wouldn't consider them exceptions at all. Slow starts are prominent in all mediums, and they have a harder battle fighting for your time than other stuff because all you have to go on is the word of fans.

I think people here have gotten too used to 1 cour shows, many of the good ones needing bombastic openings or they won't feel worth it.

There's a different between a slow start and a bad a start. I don't consider a slow start to be a negative, but if I can spot that the characters are dumb, the script is awful and the plot is nonsensical in the first couple of episodes it's usually the case that the rest of the show follows suit.

Hmm, if Kaze prepared this boxart for the French release of Mawaru Penguindrum, I wonder if Sentai's final cover will be similar.

Then again, theirs is a full series set, while Sentai split their release into two halves, so...

Kaze does a nice job of bringing anime in france and this box looks genuily cool .. I'll wait because sometimes nfor no reason they aren't using the video quality i want ( i honnestly see no reason why but sometimes it doesn't look as good ). Hoping this is not the case this time.Will wait on their foroms if this release is "safe" to buy it .

While waiting , it's time to buy "Hoshi o Ou Kodomo" ..
My wallet is crying but screw it

Branduil

We should have an AnimeGAF raffle. Everyone contributes towards a $10,000 pot that we then use to fund the kickstarter. We would then have a drawing to determine who receives the trip and the other prizes.

Note: If this is somehow illegal or against the kickstarter rules I don't endorse this.

duckroll

We should have an AnimeGAF raffle. Everyone contributes towards a $10,000 pot that we then use to fund the kickstarter. We would then have a drawing to determine who receives the trip and the other prizes.

Note: If this is somehow illegal or against the kickstarter rules I don't endorse this.

But it's not a free trip. It would mean that on top of putting money into the pot, everyone involved also has to consider the possibility of spending another few thousand dollars to travel to and back from Tokyo. :p

Branduil

But it's not a free trip. It would mean that on top of putting money into the pot, everyone involved also has to consider the possibility of spending another few thousand dollars to travel to and back from Tokyo. :p

Well, it says the traveling and accommodation in Tokyo will be provided, so I guess the question is how much does a round-trip ticket to Tokyo cost?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shin Sekai Yori:
Good stuff.

Needs more rape and background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom