• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We should have an AnimeGAF raffle. Everyone contributes towards a $10,000 pot that we then use to fund the kickstarter. We would then have a drawing to determine who receives the trip and the other prizes.

Note: If this is somehow illegal or against the kickstarter rules I don't endorse this.
We can't even get GAF to contribute to the Project Eternity Inn project. lol

So I watched Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. And dunno I can't share the same opinion as the others here.
The pacing was all over the place. I have no idea how much time has passed in the first episode. The characters, even the interaction between Mizutani and Haru is great, are kind of non-characters without motives.
Well, the comedy parts were great, so that's reason enough to watch more of it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wouldn't say no to an anime adaption of Game of Thrones.

It could be like endless shounen, except it's endless politics!
Given that no one in anime has sex, how do you handle sexposition?

Also, I like that sexposition isn't a spelling error according to Chrome now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They could hold hands while filling us on needed backstory.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
冬が来ている.

It certainly is not. It is much brighter and high-energy than is typical for shoujo romance, and it may be the best looking anime in the genre that I've seen - with the caveat that I haven't seen Kimi ni Todoke, which is generally praised for its production values (and also directed by Hiro Kaburaki!).

Thanks for your insight. Now I don't know whether or not I should hope for this to be so good that all of my future shoujo experiences are less enjoyable in comparison, hahah.

Jex

So I watched Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. And dunno I can't share the same opinion as the others here.
The pacing was all over the place. I have no idea how much time has passed in the first episode. The characters, even the interaction between Mizutani and Haru is great, are kind of non-characters without motives.
Well, the comedy parts were great, so that's reason enough to watch more of it.

You're not alone on this. I really was not a fan of the way they handled the progression of time. I'll write a more thorough write-up later but that's one of my main take-aways from the episode.

Jarmel

Banned
Just how bishie would Jaime Lannister be? Just how loli would Arya be?

game-of-thrones-japanese-cover-manga-4.jpg
game-of-thrones-japanese-cover-manga-2.jpg

game-of-thrones-japanese-cover-manga-1.jpg
game-of-thrones-japanese-cover-manga-3.jpg

Kagami

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun / My Little Monster 1

The characters and events are very by-the-book cliched girls' comic stuff, but the way this show presents them in animated form is fresh.
It looks like it'll be delivering a high volume of cute-blushing-and-flustered which always makes me grin.
I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said--it's very satisfying in its visuals, dialog, and pace.
Definitely going on the list.

Stoof

So Tonari and Shin Sekai Yori are both good so far? Well that's two for two on my list already. I can't wait to watch them and I hope there's even more goodness to come this season.

Kazzy

K-ON!! Episode 8

Cdspx.jpg

Big-head mode enabled.

Yui is usually so lackadaisical , that I enjoy watching her react to any sort of pressure. Ritsu shares a similar sentiment, as we found out that she enjoyed torturing a younger (and even shyer!) Mio. And for as much as Yui seems to be portrayed as the most listless of the group, I couldn't see how Mio would function without Ritsu continually pushing (or is that dragging?) her out of her shell. That said, it is nice to watch the dynamic that they have.

Turtles, turtles, everywhere! One of those idling shots that like KyoAni like so much, makes a return. I like that they have become a recurring theme, without it ever being highlighted all that much. And what is this? A cliffhanger in K-ON!?

Also, Azusa has literally just sat around for the past two episodes.

Narag

Is Japan not terribly familiar with what dwarves actually look like? Tyrion looks like freaking Chucky.

Well, he's supposed to be misshapen and ugly so that's kinda close. Dinklage nailed the character in what little I've seen but never really looked the part to me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, he's supposed to be misshapen and ugly so that's kinda close. Dinklage nailed the character in what little I've seen but never really looked the part to me.

Ah. I'm a TV series-only peon so I don't know these finer nuances.

yami4ct

Since I've been using the past month to catch up on One Piece, and I just finished a mini-arc, thought I might as well throw up a short review.

One Piece Sabaody Archipelago-Duvall Mini-Arc (Episodes 382-390)

In true Oda fashion, after the major (and kind of overlong) Thriller Bark arc, we get to settle down with a nice small comedy arc. Like the Davy Back Fight arc before it, this arc sort of hinges on one joke. If the fact that Duvall
's face looks like Sanji's wanted post
falls flat for you, you probably aren't going to enjoy this much. Unlike the DBF arc, though, at least we get some nice action to fall back on. Brook is given a moment to prove his place in the crew with an awesome fight, Franky is fun as always, and Sanji gets a ton of focus. The fact that Sanji is my favorite character right now made this arc a ton of fun. The other strawhats are kind of just left dangling and given not much to do. We are reintroduced to
Hachi
and given two new characters who's purpose seems to move our pirate crew ahead on their journey. Unfortunately, while these new characters have some fun moments, I don't find them to be very interesting. It could change, but both tend to be more annoying than funny.

Still, this arc was a nice little breather. I like that we're given these occasional cool down arcs to break up the pacing. They do exacerbate one of the series' main problems, though. Pre-Thriller Bark, we are treated to the great cliffhanger fight between
Blackbeard and Ace
, and yet almost 80 episodes later have seen almost zero progress in that plot. I feel if you're going to keep a major hanging plot thread like that, you need to come back to it fairly quickly. Here, we have had a major and minor arc go by with zero sign of resolution. If Ace was a favorite character of mine, I'd be really upset. Overall, this arc is inessential fun and sometimes that's just what a series like One Piece needs.

Reknoc

Since I've been using the past month to catch up on One Piece, and I just finished a mini-arc, thought I might as well throw up a short review.

One Piece Sabaody Archipelago-Duvall Mini-Arc (Episodes 382-390) Overall, this arc is inessential fun and sometimes that's just what a series like One Piece needs.

I have to disagree about it being completely inessential.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Everybody holds hands. Handshots for all!
They could hold hands while filling us on needed backstory.
Rinne no Lagrange paved the way with finger-sex.

冬が来ている.

Thanks for your insight. Now I don't know whether or not I should hope for this to be so good that all of my future shoujo experiences are less enjoyable in comparison, hahah.
If the show is by the same dude who did KnT, then it's probably just him and not shoujo in general. lol

The OVA one-off he did for that shoujo manga is quite good as well!

Jex

Click on your link again, and you'll see how silly this was at the time. With less than 12 hours of data, it's STILL too early to tell anything though, and the current trend could easily be much higher than reality.

All I can see by clicking on that link is that everything is going to be a-okay!

yami4ct

I have to disagree about it being completely inessential.

Besides the one character it reintroduces and the two new people, the Duvall arc doesn't do much that I can see. I mean, it's a completely out of left field random conflict. Maybe it will go somewhere, but it doesn't really present itself as important as it's happening.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - 01

Amazing.

This felt like a 40 minute episode and I loved every second of it. Their choice of colors made each setting look so active and engaging, and fit well with the characters that were part of it. The chemistry between Haru and Shizuku is really, really good(I just can't find a suitable word for it. God damn!), Haru's smile is contagious, and his attachment/puppy-dog love towards Shizuku is simply adorable.

Maybe I'm just in a good mood or something, because I just find it ridiculous that I could fall for these characters so early (or maybe it's not ridiculous at all). Keep this up and KnT will have some competition for my #1 RomCom of choice.

Oh and that
kiss
at the end? Wow!

Ultimadrago

Haibane Renmei 13 [End]

This episode was excellence. The direction for this final confrontation with
Reki's inner demons
was rock solid. Reki's
submission to darkness and Rakka's extended hand demanding trust
were showcased with such power.

Reki's
"chasing" of Rakka outside of her "dream room" is a type of confrontation that has been done before in media. The character who deliberately scares away a helpful party in order to face something alone. In a way, they create themselves as a pure antagonist to the forces of the other party.
However, it is executed here in a notably skillful fashion that I do not usually witness in anime because
the harsh words were Reki in her most primitive form. They were the truth, or at least, they were before her actions of turning others into mere means ended up changing her into a figure of genuine support. It was not simply a tactic temporary facade, in fact the mask was taken off to present Rakka with "the beast."

Recalling my previous impressions, I wanted Reki and Rakka to have the final "tango" of this production. This entire episode not only handled it optimally, but, again, conveyed it with a grand emotional impact. The scene mentioned previously only being one of the segments that made the episode give a potent message.

haibane2b4u7v.png

The facial expressions were not only paramount to the scene, but novel to a couple of the characters using them up to this episode. It definitely added a special element to this finale.

Conclusively, the strong characterization (notably from
Rakka
and
Reki
) and dramatic events surrounding these characters is what makes Haibane Renmei a very good watch. This is aided by the world-building and constant air of mystery surrounding the environment shared by the humans, Haibane and Toga/Communicator. The honing on a couple of characters in the latter stretch while further constructing the environment for the viewer was the best direction this story could have taken. Mind you, the characters are fair in general, but Rakka and Reki take the crown for the most interesting by far. This conclusion was a naturally guided development and it functioned smoothly.

While I believe Haibane Renmei is an exceptionally well told story, I couldn't promise a percentage on how many people would be open to the pacing at the start of it. A basis is created for the world and characters, but I could see a moderate number of potential viewers not open to the direction. An issue that could never be fixed for everyone, even with explanation, I'm afraid. Nonetheless, I would recommend it to those that can take a very good paced story that knows how to present drama in a manner not matched by many dramatic animated works I've watched.

This title I will not forget.

Reknoc

Besides the one character it reintroduces and the two new people, the Duvall arc doesn't do much that I can see. I mean, it's a completely out of left field random conflict. Maybe it will go somewhere, but it doesn't really present itself as important as it's happening.

It's important.

Without it there would be no Motobaro support in Gigant Battle!

yami4ct

It's important.

Without it there would be no Motobaro support in Gigant Battle!

Ok, like I said, it may become important later. The arc first time through, as it stands, feels like complete fluff. Not as much fluff as Davy Back Fight, but still not majorly important.

I mean Mirai Nikki is a series that relies on shock value still, I don't mean to steer you wrong necessarily.

LOL... I meant "No..." as in you weren't spoiling it for me and I'm actually greatful you let me know there wasn't anthing darker than that left in the series. It's information I needed to power through the series.

There's a different between a slow start and a bad a start. I don't consider a slow start to be a negative, but if I can spot that the characters are dumb, the script is awful and the plot is nonsensical in the first couple of episodes it's usually the case that the rest of the show follows suit.

I'm not familiar with it, but based on what everyone said, I figured Hyouka doesn't fit any of those, yet you used it as an example. I was just told it's boring. Wouldn't that be a slow start?

Also, in my opinion, a slow start IS a bad start.

Jex

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1

Pretty fun! It did a good job of capturing the manga's blend of humor and sweetness, and smoothed out some of its rough edges through sharp direction and storyboarding. Shizuku and Haru have good chemistry together, and I think the voice actors did a pretty god job of portraying their characters. Haru's quirkiness and how people react to it was brought out nicely. The show is quite pleasant to look at; the animation, if not outstanding, is solid with some nice cuts for the comedic moments, and I like the bright colors and art. Promising start.
I actually feel like that's underselling the quality of the animation a little. Outside of big show case titles like Fate/Zero and Hyouka I can't think of too many works that looked as good overall as the first episode of Tonari. There were, as you say, a number of 'stand out moments' but even the 'regular' sequences had quite a bit of character too them.

7Th

I actually feel like that's underselling the quality of the animation a little. Outside of big show case titles like Fate/Zero and Hyouka I can't think of too many works that looked as good overall as the first episode of Tonari. There were, as you say, a number of 'stand out moments' but even the 'regular' sequences had quite a bit of character too them.

Don't oversell it, either:

-Eureka Seven AO 1 and 2
-Smile Precure 23
-Umakoshi episodes of SSOmega
-SSY 1
-Zetman 1
-Driland 1
-Certain episodes of AnoNatsu
-YuruYuri S2 1 and 12
-Idolm@ster 26

All were definitely better, animation-wise, than Little Monster 1. A few of these were also better than anything in Fate/Zero, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom