• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Being afriad and staying away from someone because they look like someone from The Ring is a bit stupid.

Its silly when you think about it, but thats how real society is with certain types of people. Maybe its a subconscious thing, but appearances matter in society and if you look or act a certain way, you are gonna get pigeonholed.

yami4ct

Tsuritama 3-6

Man, can't believe I'm half done already. It's been fun. Sure, the story can be a bit cliche at times and the drama feel a bit forced, but the characters are all super lovable and the comedy is better than ever. The animation style remains stunning, especially when taken with the ocean fishing the characters have been doing lately. The way water is drawn is super artful and interesting. It's also interesting how seamlessly the story moves from one small plot to the next. Everything is very well connected. Half way done and I like it as much or more than when I started.

DUCK!

Branduil

Haibane Renmei 13 [End]

This episode was excellence. The direction for this final confrontation with
Reki's inner demons
was rock solid. Reki's
submission to darkness and Rakka's extended hand demanding trust
were showcased with such power.

Reki's
"chasing" of Rakka outside of her "dream room" is a type of confrontation that has been done before in media. The character who deliberately scares away a helpful party in order to face something alone. In a way, they create themselves as a pure antagonist to the forces of the other party.
However, it is executed here in a notably skillful fashion that I do not usually witness in anime because
the harsh words were Reki in her most primitive form. They were the truth, or at least, they were before her actions of turning others into mere means ended up changing her into a figure of genuine support. It was not simply a tactic temporary facade, in fact the mask was taken off to present Rakka with "the beast."

Recalling my previous impressions, I wanted Reki and Rakka to have the final "tango" of this production. This entire episode not only handled it optimally, but, again, conveyed it with a grand emotional impact. The scene mentioned previously only being one of the segments that made the episode give a potent message.

Conclusively, the strong characterization (notably from
Rakka
and
Reki
) and dramatic events surrounding these characters is what makes Haibane Renmei a very good watch. This is aided by the world-building and constant air of mystery surrounding the environment shared by the humans, Haibane and Toga/Communicator. The honing on a couple of characters in the latter stretch while further constructing the environment for the viewer was the best direction this story could have taken. Mind you, the characters are fair in general, but Rakka and Reki take the crown for the most interesting by far. This conclusion was a naturally guided development and it functioned smoothly.

While I believe Haibane Renmei is an exceptionally well told story, I couldn't promise a percentage on how many people would be open to the pacing at the start of it. A basis is created for the world and characters, but I could see a moderate number of potential viewers not open to the direction. An issue that could never be fixed for everyone, even with explanation, I'm afraid. Nonetheless, I would recommend it to those that can take a very good paced story that knows how to present drama in a manner not matched by many dramatic animated works I've watched.

This title I will not forget.

Excellent, another Haibanakama.

Firemind

Its silly when you think about it, but thats how real society is with certain types of people. Maybe its a subconscious thing, but appearances matter in society and if you look or act a certain way, you are gonna get pigeonholed.

Except that Sawako is a stunning woman when she doesn't have her face covered with hair.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The whole "why is she wearing her military uniform" thing kind of falls flat when it's more fabulous than all the dresses there.

EDIT: Oh lord, incest.

EDIT 2: Fake incest, worst incest.

EDIT 3: ALL JAPANESE ARE GREAT WITH KNIVES.

Campione! 10

9iFda.jpg

So, so episode. Action was decent, wikipedia fight wasn't bad. For a show where people communicate by kissing, the girls need to hurry up and get over that cause watching them blush and be all should I or should I not is getting boring.

At least Athena is a go-getter. She even double dips!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm not saying it's bad. I'm simply subduing the hype it's generated to and not praise it as some kind of revelation in romcoms.
I am at a loss to the deflation of hype here, particularly when I look on the fruits of this year. Last season was just loaded with trash, and even the "good" shows were inconsistent or shadows of a previous season.

So if you are uninterested in the pacing or super shoujo nature of My Little Monster that's fine. If the way it is written does not appeal to you, also fine. But to say that the "the production is nothing special," when it brings in some stellar voice work, some superb writing, and excellent talent on the animation side is just dumb, especially after what I put up with last season.

jman2050

People talking about My Little Monster Pony being the new Toradora! are gonna see some shit when I catch up with you in a week.

The two shows aren't really alike outside of being romcoms, and I think that'll be even more true since I expect this show to start employing some of the usual shoujo trappings as it goes.

I'm not expecting greatest love story ever told. That's too high an expectation :p

Branduil

Just "a bit"?

I don't know, if there's anything anime has taught me, it's that bullying and the pressures of conformity are a huge problem in Japanese schools.

Now, you could say it's ridiculous how easily she solves her problems by being the sweetest girl ever.

Steroyd

You'd be surprised how people react to unkempt appearances actually.

If I'm remembering correctly, wasn't the only thing "wrong" with Sawako's appearance her smile?

Jarmel

Banned
My Little Monster-

Not going to lie, this was really fucking good. Of course I have a feeling it's all downhill from here. The blonde guy is going to come in as another love interest and we're going to have a triangle. Production values were absolutely outstanding and the background tracks were superb. The track around the 3 minute mark is heavenly.

jman2050

My Little Monster-

Not going to lie, this was really fucking good. Of course I have a feeling it's all downhill from here. The blonde guy is going to come in as another love interest and we're going to have a triangle.

The law of shoujo dictates this will happen but hey, maybe it'll surprise us!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The two shows aren't really alike outside of being romcoms, and I think that'll be even more true since I expect this show to start employing some of the usual shoujo trappings as it goes.

I'm not expecting greatest love story ever told. That's too high an expectation :p

ToraDora is a high bar, that's true. ^^

Anyway, I'll write more later, but I absolutely loved the first episode of My Little Monster. I really liked all the musical cues through out the episode, and I also realized the significance behind Haru discovering the dog, which I had missed when I read the manga. I think certain elements of the series are a lot more noticeable when animated, which really added to my enjoyment.

Solune

Being afriad and staying away from someone because they look like someone from The Ring is a bit stupid.

It's a common trope, so I'm not sure how it makes it wildly more stupid than Kare Kano. If a kid looks funny, no one wants to interact or hang out with that kid as a gut reaction.

Branduil

Remember, it's not just Sawako's appearance, she has incredibly awkward social skills as well. Anyone who has trouble communicating is going to get teased in school.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Remember, it's not just Sawako's appearance, she has incredibly awkward social skills as well. Anyone who has trouble communicating is going to get teased in school.

Yes, I just watched the first ep of KnT yesterday, and she really does come across as that socially awkward kid who desperately wants to make friends but is somewhat clingy and so eager to please they'll do anything.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The whole "why is she wearing her military uniform" thing kind of falls flat when it's more fabulous than all the dresses there.

EDIT: Oh lord, incest.

EDIT 2: Fake incest, worst incest.

EDIT 3: ALL JAPANESE ARE GREAT WITH KNIVES.

At first I was wondering what you were watching. Then i realized. Akito.

Firemind

I am at a loss to the deflation of hype here, particularly when I look on the fruits of this year. Last season was just loaded with trash, and even the "good" shows were inconsistent or shadows of a previous season.

So if you are uninterested in the pacing or super shoujo nature of My Little Monster that's fine. If the way it is written does not appeal to you, also fine. But to say that the "the production is nothing special," when it brings in some stellar voice work, some superb writing, and excellent talent on the animation side is just dumb, especially after what I put up with last season.

If you read my post, I actually praised the writing and to a lesser extent the animation. I'm just not as impressed with some of the visual and audio components as the rest of you are.

I'm also not sure what's so stellar about reading out monologues, but opinions and all that!

jman2050

Maybe I just got lucky cause High School was easymodo as far as using interpersonal skills goes.

cajunator

Banned
My Little Monster 01

OHMYGOD.
I don't know how the rest of this show will play out but that was one of the most enjoyable Romcom episodes of any anime I have ever seen.
The ska opening that wont get out of my head. The art style. The really fun BGM. The way the characters have really rough edges. The naive brutal and cruel nature of the guy and a girl who will put up with it because she likes him. Its all the right stuff. This was highly enjoyable. I can definitely see comparisons to Toradora and maybe a bit of the quirky fun of Kare Kano. This is exactly the kind of show I love to death.

kayos90

If you read my post, I actually praised the writing and to a lesser extent the animation. I'm just not as impressed with some of the visual and audio components as the rest of you are.

I'm also not sure what's so stellar about reading out monologues, but opinions and all that!

It's dimb. Try not to take it personally.

Go_Ly_Dow

My Little Monster 01

OHMYGOD.
I don't know how the rest of this show will play out but that was one of the most enjoyable Romcom episodes of any anime I have ever seen.
The ska opening that wont get out of my head. The art style. The really fun BGM. The way the characters have really rough edges. The naive brutal and cruel nature of the guy and a girl who will put up with it because she likes him. Its all the right stuff. This was highly enjoyable. I can definitely see comparisons to Toradora and maybe a bit of the quirky fun of Kare Kano. This is exactly the kind of show I love to death.

BELIEVE!

cajunator

Banned
In High School I was known as that little asian dude who likes Origami.
I was always a small guy with a heavy backpack on that seemed like it weighed more than me, and it probably looked hilarious. But School wasnt difficult to deal with for some reason.

kayos90

Well... I watched it due to the hype, staying because of the show's potential, but not staying with the hype though.

jbug617

Banned
I'm looking forward to Lovely Complex home release. Sounds like Discotek is setting up dates for it in the next couple of weeks.

Kingdom 18

Xin is hilarious and still has that awesome jumping ability loved it. I could watch him swing his sword all day really cool.

Best moment
When he listened to Qiang's advise and went and stuck the pole in the chariot, loved how the chariot just completely collapsed flying into the air, was so epic and amazing.

I cant wait to see Bi's and others reactions when the dust clears.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
My Little Monster-

Not going to lie, this was really fucking good. Of course I have a feeling it's all downhill from here. The blonde guy is going to come in as another love interest and we're going to have a triangle. Production values were absolutely outstanding and the background tracks were superb. The track around the 3 minute mark is heavenly.

That's what I'm afraid of. Because then we'll have 10+ episodes of misunderstandings because people can't come out and say what they feel in their heart.

*cough* KnT *cough*

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's dimb. Try not to take it personally.
To quote Boardwalk Empire from last night, "What the fuck is life if it's not personal?" I seriously don't get what you mean when you say "it's dimb." I'll tell you straight up that I take that personally.

I think My Little Monster is a good show. If someone thinks it's a bad or mediocre show fine, but at least bring in something substantial instead of dismissive gifs, bologna comparisons, and qualifications that aspects of one of the better made shows of the year is on the level of a "flash animation". The post was actively junk that spread misinformation. I don't have to just let it slide if I don't want to but I'm already giving it too much time and attention now.

cajunator

Banned
I don't really care which direction it goes as long as its entertaining.
I don't expect episode two to really live up to that first episode. That was just amazing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"the warrior blood of the Orient flows through your veins."

LOL.

kayos90

To quote Boardwalk Empire from last night, "What the fuck is life if it's not personal?" I seriously don't get what you mean when you say "it's dimb." I'll tell you straight up that I take that personally.

I think My Little Monster is a good show. If someone thinks it's a bad or mediocre show fine, but at least bring in something substantial instead of dismissive gifs, bologna comparisons, and qualifications that aspects of one of the better made shows of the year is on the level of a "flash animation". The post was actively junk that spread misinformation. I don't have to just let it slide if I don't want to but I'm already giving it too much time and attention now.

I'm saying that he might come across in a way you don't like it so don't take it as a personal attack is what I meant. If you misunderstood I apologize, otherwise, get off my back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom