• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
To quote Boardwalk Empire from last night, "What the fuck is life if it's not personal?" I seriously don't get what you mean when you say "it's dimb." I'll tell you straight up that I take that personally.

I think My Little Monster is a good show. If someone thinks it's a bad or mediocre show fine, but at least bring in something substantial instead of dismissive gifs, bologna comparisons, and qualifications that aspects of one of the better made shows of the year is on the level of a "flash animation". The post was actively junk that spread misinformation. I don't have to just let it slide if I don't want to but I'm already giving it too much time and attention now.

Both you and kayos need to calm down. It's a fucking internet forum.

survivor

Banned
Why can't school end already so I can go back home and watch My Little Monster. I have been stuck here for 8 hours already :( The overwhelming positive impressions aren't helping either.

Firemind

If someone thinks it's a bad or mediocre show fine, but at least bring in something substantial instead of dismissive gifs, bologna comparisons, and qualifications that aspects of one of the better made shows of the year is on the level of a "flash animation". The post was actively junk that spread misinformation. I don't have to just let it slide if I don't want to but I'm already giving it too much time and attention now.

Once again, I didn't imply the animation looked cheap. I implied the sound effects sounded cheap. If it's for comedy effect, I'm not laughing.

Am I writing in Chinese or something?

Steroyd

that's good to hear.

So anyway guys I ended up buying KNT a couple of months ago but hadn't opened it yet. How similar is it in tone to this new show? It seems like the sort of show Id really really enjoy regardless.

You know the story of the tortoise and the hare?

Well KnT is the starting line. /troll

Hard to compare them both tone wise outright with only watching the first episode of Tonari, but they look like they're going to be different, Tonari has a more Kare Kano vibe to it.

cajunator

Banned
Why can't school already end so I can go back home and watch My Little Monster. I have been stuck here for 8 hours already :( The overwhelming positive impressions aren't helping either.

Its a lot of fun to watch. The character dynamic is REALLY good so far.

BluWacky

Why can't school end already so I can go back home and watch My Little Monster. I have been stuck here for 8 hours already :( The overwhelming positive impressions aren't helping either.

As you'd mentioned it before, I should also mention that Kami-sama Hajimemashita has exceeded my expectations thus far (halfway through the first ep). It does all sorts of things that the manga can't - playing the opening few minutes as if it's a cheesy 70s B-movie, for instance - and has some nice visual effects that I wasn't expecting. Akitaroh Daichi has done a good job of enlivening the source material (it's many of his usual tricks used in other comedies but they still work well).

I'll get some screenshots up later but I'm hopeful it will continue in this vein.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Once again, I didn't imply the animation looked cheap. I implied the sound effects sounded cheap. If it's for comedy effect, I'm not laughing.

Am I writing in Chinese or something?
I wish you were writing in Chinese because then I wouldn't be able to read your posts. I know you are talking about the sound effects and never said otherwise. They're perfectly adequate. Not only is your complaint pointless but it's lazy and thoughtless if you genuinely believe the sound effects feel like they're from a flash animation. The comparison is insulting.

Campione! 11

8pxkA.jpg

Dullish episode. Mostly introducing the new girl who at least takes no time in throwing herself into the harem, so points for her. But yeah, basically how to spend time with your harem members and what your harem members do when they don't spend time with you.

The random moments of a fight weren't bad but nothing amazing.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1

Ok, so let me get this straight:

Shizuku - Awesome.
Yoshida - Awesome².
Brains Base - Awesome.

The main characters work so well together... Yup, that's all I need.

This season is shaping up to be amazing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
K-ON!! Episode 9

Azusa is a proxy for Mio at this point, pretty much since the Kyoto episode, where she (Mio) suddenly became more free-wheeling, particularly within the confines of the group. So that renders Azusa the most mature (boring) band member, pretty much by default. Seriously though, she is a fine enough character, but she has been stuck filling the role of Ms. exposition lately. I think the balance is due a reshuffle, and I'm sure it'll occur at some point. Um, why else would she top fan-polls? Enough of that!
Mio just hung out so much with Yui her brain started to melt.

Geneijin

I wish you were writing in Chinese because then I wouldn't be able to read your posts. I know you are talking about the sound effects and never said otherwise. They're perfectly adequate. Not only is your complaint pointless but it's lazy and thoughtless if you genuinely believe the sound effects feel like they're from a flash animation. The comparison is insulting.
Hard to see that when you haven't bothered to educate him beyond demeaning his opinion you know.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is hilariously aggressive wording for a discussion over the qualities of a single episode of a brand new anime.
I'm not really super serious about it. You guys need to ease up. I get that the wording is probably too edgy but its genuinely obnoxious to come in here and see people saying some of the better shows from a season that is saving us are flash animation quality.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm not really super serious about it. You guys need to ease up. I get that the wording is probably too edgy but its genuinely obnoxious to come in here and see people saying some of the better shows from a season that is saving us are flash animation quality.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say, even if you aren't serious, if a good deal of people perceive it in such a way, that's not good.

Geneijin

It's equally obnoxious you think people want to listen to someone "super serious."

From the New World is totally flash quality. An obnoxious amount of purple is totally something you see in the early 2000 flash animations.

cajunator

Banned
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1

Ok, so let me get this straight:

Shizuku - Awesome.
Yoshida - Awesome².
Brains Base - Awesome.

The main characters work so well together... Yup, that's all I need.

This season is shaping up the be amazing.

I really feel the same way. Two REALLY fun characters to watch. The "rape" comment surprised me, but given how the guy is just really misunderstood and more than a little socially backwards it felt like a natural line coming from him. It also didnt seem to be genuinely threatening to her. It was more like "Dude, you do NOT say those kinds of things to a girl ever!" His reputation as a misfit kind of reminds me of Seiji from midori Days and now I love the show even more.

While I agree with you thats its kind of an absurd thing to say about what really turned out to be a solid first episode of a Romcom, he is entitled to his opinion of it. As I said earlier to the new guys, this has been a forum open to discussion without a whole lot of bickering, and we should keep it that way. I really hate SAO at this point, so I just dropped it, but ongoing positive discussion of it is bound to continue and its not my right to troll about it. If Firemind doesnt like the show, he doesnt like it. End of discussion. People arent always going to love everything.

My Little Monster / Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1
tumblr_mb8b3jcNlM1qd0gyko1_500.gif

Haru is really amazing, so many wonderful parts. He's already one of my favorite character designs, and all his emotions, I love it so much. He even pulled a Gray Fullbuster so even more points for him. Hopefully others can open up to him and he to they as well, especially just for more of his "friends" moments. His friends look so good too.

Shizuka is a really dull female character, that looks like this whole anime thing is just boring for her as if she doesnt wanna be in it. She's really lacking and looks odd at times, though fortunately, she does bring out a wide range in emotions in Haru, but she seems pretty clueless and not smart.

Ill keep watching, seems pretty fun though isnt it going kind of fast
Already kissing :/

kayos90

While I agree with you thats its kind of an absurd thing to say about what really turned out to be a solid first episode of a Romcom, he is entitled to his opinion of it. As I said earlier to the new guys, this has been a forum open to discussion without a whole lot of bickering, and we should keep it that way. I really hate SAO at this point, so I just dropped it, but ongoing positive discussion of it is bound to continue and its not my right to troll about it. If Firemind doesnt like the show, he doesnt like it. End of discussion. People arent always going to love everything.

Damn. Cajunator. You deserve a sigil and a motto

Cajunator
"Mine is the cute"

When Dinklage was initially cast, people whined that he was too good-looking.
I always pictured him looking like a World of Warcraft dwarf.
Wait what

BluWacky

Kami-sama Hajimemashita 1

So I read the first volume of the manga for this and really didn't rate it much - it seemed like your usual "magical boyfriend" stuff, with Nanami being the plucky (yet somehow useless) heroine and Tomoe being the aloof bishounen love interest (who happens to be a kitsune demon under her control - ring any bells, Inu Yasha fans?). I also thought the PV was incredibly underwhelming.

The anime itself is much more entertaining!

I knew this was going to be better than I thought when I watched the OP. It's not a "great" OP, but the lyrics to the song are all embedded in the frames. It's a nice touch, and a better one than I thought the series deserved, but it's all the embellishments to the manga that make this entertaining. It's seeing things like Akitaroh Daichi's customary SD shots (where the screen shakes and everyone's drawn with giant bold lines), or the prevalence of on screen text - I'm not sure I can describe it all well, but the ambience of the show is generally better than the manga.

The hardest thing to convey about what makes this episode surprisingly good is the use of sound. The episode proper begins with a scratchy 70s movie aesthetic and a ridiculous voiceover from Vanilla Yamazaki, best known for playing the funny bunny thing in PaniPoni Dash. The music is full of traditional instrumental sounds and the sound effects are typical kabuki/noh noises - lots of clacking hyoshigi, you know the ones I mean when you hear them. There's lots of times when the music cuts out abruptly for comic effect - but occasionally the sound effects carry on, so you get ridiculous squeaking noises for running (for instance). Maybe this isn't a big deal to most people, but I don't normally enjoy anime comedy at all and there was a lot that was striking about the use of sound here that I don't recognise often in other shows.

The other thing I can't really talk about is motion. Don't get me wrong - this is no tour de force of animation by any means. However, it's both amusing and entertaining - whether it's Nanami's ridiculous running with an old woman on her back or the "contract" sequence towards the end which is surprisingly well done. The best part is the stack of books above - that enormous stack may only have about three frames of animation as it wobbles, but some poor bastard had to draw that stack of books three times!

TL;DR - better than expected! Worth checking out!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fall season's currently 3 for 3.

Akito the Exiled: Good.
SAO 13: Good.
Shin Sekai Yori: Good.

Hopefully Kaibatsu will continue this trend.

Choice quotes:

Akito the Exiled:
"Europeans are all the same. They're scared of Japanese people because they think we all know karate and are good with swords."

SAO 13:
"If you went and didn't come back, I would kill myself!"

kayos90

Fall season's currently 3 for 3.

Akito the Exiled: Good.
SAO 13: Good.
Shin Sekai Yori: Good.

Hopefully Kaibatsu will continue this trend.

Choice quotes:

Akito the Exiled:
"Europeans are all the same. They're scared of Japanese people because they think we all know karate and are good with swords."

SAO 13:
"If you went and didn't come back, I would kill myself!"

I'm so confused.

Thats not a war worth fighting.

Well... yeah. Cuz you lost. LOLOLOL.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Regardless of the validity of Firemind's criticisms, he's gone out of his way to underscore that his "flash animation" comment only applies to the quality of the sound effects, not the episode as a whole. This is a disproportionate response to a minor technical critique and, furthermore, a bizarre misrepresentation. The "flash animation" thing isn't the main thrust of the argument, it's a single criticism of a specific aspect of the episode.

Firemind

I'll post some examples, since people have the impression I'm lazy (and I am).

3:13: person flying off-screen
3:33: same as above
3:55: gust of wind
4:11: rustling of grass
4:22: sound of glass breaking
6:07: sound of cork getting unscrewed
6:58: shiny sound effect
7:05: barking of dog
7:43: same as above
7:59: same as above
8:10: some kind of ting from a bell
8:24: eerie sound effect
9:18: sparkling sound effect
9:37: throwing
10:32: random sound of keys rustling
10:37: ball flying
11:03: bat hitting
11:07: shocked sound effect
13:26: walking on steps
14:04: wood creaking
14:14: whatever this is
14:34: bottle opening
14:52: munching
15:15: same as above
15:26: same as above
19:46: falling
23:35: unplugging

Some are more inappropriate than others before I'm labeled as someone who's nitpicking. I'm aware it's a romantic comedy, but they're getting a bit overboard with it sometimes.

cajunator

Banned
I'll post some examples, since people have the impression I'm lazy (and I am).

3:13: person flying off-screen
3:33: same as above
3:55: gust of wind
4:11: rustling of grass
4:22: sound of glass breaking
6:07: sound of cork getting unscrewed
6:58: shiny sound effect
7:05: barking of dog
7:43: same as above
7:59: same as above
8:10: some kind of ting from a bell
8:24: eerie sound effect
9:18: sparkling sound effect
9:37: throwing
10:32: random sound of keys rustling
10:37: ball flying
11:03: bat hitting
11:07: shocked sound effect
13:26: walking on steps
14:04: wood creaking
14:14: whatever this is
14:34: bottle opening
14:52: munching
15:15: same as above
15:26: same as above
19:46: falling
23:35: unplugging

Some are more inappropriate than others before I'm labeled as someone who's nitpicking. I'm aware it's a romantic comedy, but they're getting a bit overboard with it sometimes.

How is this different from any other anime series?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
My Little Monster / Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1
tumblr_mb8b3jcNlM1qd0gyko1_500.gif

Haru is really amazing, so many wonderful parts. He's already one of my favorite character designs, and all his emotions, I love it so much. He even pulled a Gray Fullbuster so even more points for him. Hopefully others can open up to him and he to they as well, especially just for more of his "friends" moments. His friends look so good too.

Shizuka is a really dull female character, that looks like this whole anime thing is just boring for her as if she doesnt wanna be in it. She's really lacking and looks odd at times, though fortunately, she does bring out a wide range in emotions in Haru, but she seems pretty clueless and not smart.

Ill keep watching, seems pretty fun though isnt it going kind of fast
Already kissing :/

tumblr_mb3e5itLOJ1r922azo1_500.gif

Geneijin

Entitlement to an opinion doesn't mean a discussion should not be had about said opinion if it's debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom