• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

The reason people don't like Light is because he has a full-blown god-complex which serves as his primary reason and he's also a huge fucking hypocrite.

And Lelouch doesn't have a god complex? If that's not what he has, he's got something really damn close. I was hoping for everything to come crashing down around him by the end of the series, and only partially got my wish.

cajunator

Banned
I remember MySpace. I don't recall blingee though.

This is a blingee
Wc5zB.gif

yami4ct

I have no delusions of grandeur that it is gonna match the fabulousity of the original cartoon. It's just that Marcal and Akito are the worst "hurdurr I'm cool because I'm stoic and misunderstood" morons since Squall Leonhart.

Where were you yesterday when I needed help backing up my hatred of Akito? Haha.

Narag

To try to explain my hatred of Lelouch some more, it's the same problem I have with Light from Death Note. He's a cocky, over-confident, pushy asshole who happens to be working toward, what he believes at least, is a positive future. He has every unlikeable trait in the book, yet the writers expect me to like him because the people who he's working against are worse.

I never really took this from Geass. He's just as bad, if not worse, given how petty his motivations are to begin with. Stuff like
Euphinator, damning Suzaku with an unnatural sense of self-preservation, interrupting a global status quo due to his sister, his increasing web of lies and the lengths he goes to maintain them, and violating his comrades with his ability
left me with the sense he was so far in over his head. The Light comparison is apt though as I sat through Death Note to see how far desperation would take him and
eventual comeuppance one way or another

Jarmel

Banned
And Lelouch doesn't have a god complex? If that's not what he has, he's got something really damn close. I was hoping for everything to come crashing down around him by the end of the series, and only partially got my wish.

No he really doesn't. He repeatedly showed that he was willing to step aside if a solution could be found without him. I mean the
man sacrificed himself for to create a better world for everyone else.

Yeah both sides are terrible and I hate everyone. I guess the show got its wish. And just because a character is smart enough to test the limits of his power doesn't make him smart. Most of his actions later on just make him seem like an idiot. As for C2 being cliche, she's a magic girl with amnesia that happens to wander into our main character's life. She takes her personality from about every other "mysterious" magic girl in anime. Sure, I've never seen the exact same character in another show, but I've seen close enough ones to be experiencing serious deja vu.

Did CC have amnesia in the beginning?

I never really took this from Geass. He's just as bad, if not worse, given how petty his motivations are to begin with. Stuff like
Euphinator, damning Suzaku with an unnatural sense of self-preservation, interrupting a global status quo due to his sister, his increasing web of lies and the lengths he goes to maintain them, and violating his comrades with his ability
left me with the sense he was so far in over his head. The Light comparison is apt though as I sat through Death Note to see how far desperation would take him and

Some of that stuff you can't really blame him for like the fallout from Suzaku as it was made with good intentions.

yami4ct

Through most of S1 at least, I always felt the writers wanted me to forgive his actions because he was trying to free Japan. I never, ever liked him as a character so I could never identify with that struggle.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Code Geass was the epitome of "WTF am I watching?" Did you want a compelling cast, interesting story, or at least the semblance of a well thought out plot? No? Well that's great, here's some pretty mech action!

Damn, Agito has made me realize how much I hate most Geass season 1 and all of 2.

I like you. I like you a lot.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I didn't make it past the first 2 episodes of Code Geass. I didn't like the MC and the premise seemed really contrived. Just rubbed me wrong, no interest in going back.

yami4ct

I feel like people didn't like Akito cuz it didn't feel like Geass.

It still felt too much like CG for my tastes. It had the same problem of all the characters being either horrible people or stupid and the CGI ruined the pretty mech battles. All the bad, none of the good.

Narag

Through most of S1 at least, I always felt the writers wanted me to forgive his actions because he was trying to free his people. I never, ever liked him as a character so I could never identify with that struggle.

They were never his people though, just a means to an end. That made the Euphie/Suzaku stuff all the more tragic as his arrogance undid a resolution he was content with. His screw-up there just led to more lies as he covered his ass and vilified Euphie.
But enough about that. I keep pausing my movie!

fertygo

Akito is supposed to be different like those gundam OVA anyway. but of course there's crazy and obnoxious guy on everywhere because its Geass.

Unicorn's cast is not much better or even worse than Akito though. and they not even crazy.

yami4ct

But that's what makes it so fucking fun.

Not for me. I don't care if most of the cast is made up of those kinds of characters, but I need someone to latch onto and root for to keep me coming back. Why do I want to watch of show filled with people I hate? It will only make me angry. The only thing that kept me watching week to week was that I really liked the mech designs. Akito doesn't even have that. I think the Alexanders look terrible.

Uchip

Banned
I didn't make it past the first 2 episodes of Code Geass. I didn't like the MC and the premise seemed really contrived. Just rubbed me wrong, no interest in going back.

you're not the only one
I couldn't stand it, and only continued on the promise that shit gets cray
and it does

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nine months was a good run. Ara, ara.

Make me some cute-ass xcom commandos and i'll reconsider
I don't fucking recognise you anymore.

You might as well be Boney for all I care.
Not for me. I don't care if most of the cast is made up of those kinds of characters, but I need someone to latch onto and root for to keep me coming back. Why do I want to watch of show filled with people I hate? It will only make me angry. The only thing that kept me watching week to week was that I really liked the mech designs. Akito doesn't even have that. I think the Alexanders look terrible.
I think it is time to put this junior through the Blood-C initiation passage.

wonzo

Banned
My Little Monster 1

I was expecting pretty good things from this and Brain's Base certainly didn't fail to deliver. The first episode was pretty charming and funny, even if the pacing seemed kinda weird at times. Definitely looking forward to what happens next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom