• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Hey cosmic, what was the One Piece turnaround episode you usually mentioned? I think I'm nearing it but I can't remember the exact number.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I didn't get anything particularly incendiary from Firemind's original post, save perhaps for the dismissive gif, and at least in that case it was accompanied by a written explanation. It's like when cosmicblizzard posts his opinions on Mushishi or w/e. He's not trolling, he's just cosmic.
Well, as instro said it'a the kind of thing he's known for. I don't care one way or a other though. I personally find his schlock amusing.

cajunator

Banned
I've seen, and sort of liked, Blood+ and didn't like the original film. Is Blood-C really that bad?

Blood-C is that good.

Space Bros 26

What was that about a mothership I heard? Did they take a sound clip from some alien movie and use it for a news report scene?

Just looked up some Blood-c images. Holy hell, what did they do to Saya? That design is awful.

Thats part of what makes it work.
Its a terrible show, but it crosses that rareified boundary back into so awful its good.
It trolls the fuck out of the audience with no mercy.
The ending is one of the most magnificent things in anime history.

Soma

dln39.png

Blood-C

So great I refuse to rate it because it transcends simple ratings.

Hey cosmic, what was the One Piece turnaround episode you usually mentioned? I think I'm nearing it but I can't remember the exact number.

You mean the cutoff for people that don't like it to stop? I'd just say Arlong arc in general. It kind of sets the tone for what the future brings. Nami's flashback shows how dramatic things can get, the themes presented (slavery, stuff like that), and the fights show that each Strawhat member will find themselves in their own personal battle frequently. Things escalate further obviously (and exponentially), but it's essentially the climax of East Blue, so if you aren't feeling it by then, I'd say just stop.

If you do plan on continuing, I'd let you know about filler and all that stuff because it starts around that point.

Narag

You mean the cutoff for people that don't like it to stop? I'd just say Arlong arc in general. It kind of sets the tone for what the future brings. Nami's flashback shows how dramatic things can get and the fights show that each Strawhat member will find themselves in their own personal battle frequently. Things escalate further obviously (and exponentially), but it's essentially the climax of East Blue, so if you aren't feeling it by then, I'd say just stop.

If you do plan on continuing, I'd let you know about filler and all that stuff because it starts around that point.

Oh I'm likely to continue. Really enjoying the world and the slow buildup to the Grand Line what with the little hints and throwaway lines that's built it up before I've even seen it. Also can't get enough of Zoro/Sanji/serious Luffy.

My Little Monster 1

Wow that was something special. It hit all the right notes with me. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, though I do agree with the sentiments that the pacing felt a little off. If Kimi ni Todoke is Slowjo, this felt like Warp Drivejo. Dude moves fast.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
My Little Monster 1

Wow that was something special. It hit all the right notes with me. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, though I do agree with the sentiments that the pacing felt a little off. If Kimi ni Todoke is Slowjo, this felt like Warp Drivejo. Dude moves fast.

Haha! It's puppy love. :D

Code Geass had an amazing cast and you sure as hell can't say the story was boring.

Its amazing that its full of assholes and people I hate. I didn't mind it though and even enjoyed it. Its fun watching assholes be assholes to other assholes...assholes!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As I was watching Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, in my mind I was thinking it was Kimi ni Todoke + Tsuritama. And by the end, I was wondering why I thought that until the next-episode preview reminded me of the opening introductions:

Lcwecl.jpg

To be serious about the analogy for a moment, I do like how it has the care of KnT but also the visual energy of a show like Tsuritama (or UtaKoi come of think of it). It's nice to break out of the slow, ponderous "thinking" shots that plague the inner-monologue ridden shoujo (and since this episode had a lot of it, they could have went to that well pretty easily) but still find a way to use them. Certainly I miss the inner-monologing shoujo heroine telling me exactly how she feels at any given moment. But then I guess I'm a shoujo-reader at heart. lol

My only worry is that Haru seems to be yet another perfect-guy-who-is-better-than-the-girl-so-that's-why-she-loves-him love interest since he happens to be the smart kid in school. I hope that it doesn't become another Special A or Maid-sama or whatever, but that's just a fear based on that one scene.

I hope the other two shoujo shows turn out to be just as good!

Soma

I'm considering it. Honestly, this feels like getting jumped in by a gang.

Consider it an initiation.

But seriously don't feel obligated to watch it if you don't want to but not gonna lie it is pretty entertaining at the very least.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, the dude in Maid-sama is 100% USDA Prime Gary Stu, while Haru has a pretty big flaw.

He's socially retarded.

Also as long as he keeps up the antics I don't mind a little Stu. It comes with the territory.

Oh I'm likely to continue. Really enjoying the world and the slow buildup to the Grand Line what with the little hints and throwaway lines that's built it up before I've even seen it. Also can't get enough of Zoro/Sanji/serious Luffy.

Okay cool. Might as well post the filler list since you're coming up on the first few, which includes the worst filler arc ever.

50-51
54-60
98-99
101-102
131-143
196-206
213-216
220-225
279-283
291-292
317-319
326-336
382-384
406-407
426-429
497-499

So yeah, feel free to skip those. 54-60 is especially bad. Though there is a tiny reference to it in the episode after I think, but it's incredibly insignificant.

There may be some filler you do want to watch based on staff or something (including a Hosoda episode which I think is 196 or something), but that's not for a while and I'll let you know when you get to those episodes if you make it that far.

Narag

Okay cool. Might as well post the filler list since you're coming up on the first few, which includes the worst filler arc ever.

50-51
54-60
98-99
101-102
131-143
196-206
213-216
220-225
279-283
291-292
317-319
326-336
382-384
406-407
426-429
497-499

So yeah, feel free to skip those. 54-60 is especially bad. Though there is a tiny reference to it in the episode after I think, but it's incredibly insignificant.

There may be some filler you do want to watch based on staff or something (including a Hosoda episode which I think is 196 or something), but that's not for a while and I'll let you know when you get to those episodes if you make it that far.

That's a hell of a list. I'll probably watch them all and consider it training for the Island episodes of Nadia that Jexhius warns against.

So I Can't H 12

Censorship at its finest. In a show where boobs are barely given a glace to.

So, mehish ending. More boring than anything really. Some sparse fighting, feelings are revealed, bunch of sparkles or whatever and yeah.

At least I finished this.

One Piece 197 - 206

Finally managed to seal the gap in the dub episodes that Ive seen. Now Im completely caught up with the funiDub up to their recent set so episode 217. This filler arc between Skypeia and the Davy Back was actually really enjoyable and fun. Lots of fun moments all around for just about every crew member with Sanji and the cooking captain being my favorite one, Zoro had a few cool moments, and Luffy was just Luffy so there was nothing to dislike. Overall fun and a nice recovery from the Skypeia arc.

Just realized I never ordered the next set, so cant wait for end of this month to come for more One Piece.

Maedhros

50-51
54-60
98-99
101-102
131-143
196-206
213-216
220-225
279-283
291-292
317-319
326-336
382-384
406-407
426-429
497-499

Ist 54-60 Aspis arc? GODDAMIT, I FUCKING HATE ASPIS!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
My only worry is that Haru seems to be yet another perfect-guy-who-is-better-than-the-girl-so-that's-why-she-loves-him love interest since he happens to be the smart kid in school. I hope that it doesn't become another Special A or Maid-sama or whatever, but that's just a fear based on that one scene.

Oh, yeah, my first thought when after the revelation that
Haru was Shizuku's academic rival
was "it's Maid-sama all over again!". Fortunately, Haru already exhibited more personality in this episode than Usui did in whatever portion of Maid-sama I ended up watching, so I'm okay with the concept in this instance. I presume that Haru's academic talent exists primarily to serve as an amusing incongruity with everything else that defines his character, where Usui is simply supposed to be "Usui-sama suteki~".

Narag's about 400 episodes from Little East Blue, though!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ist 54-60 Aspis arc? GODDAMIT, I FUCKING HATE ASPIS!

Come to think of it, no one considering marathoning the One Piece anime should ever watch the Warship Island arc regardless of quality because, due to recent events, it now creates a plot hole at the beginning of
Punk Hazard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom