• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man, its been years since I've watched any anime. I feel so old :(

Luckily I've been getting the itch though. I can't watch to watch Kill la Kill and maybe catch up with Gundam 00. I want to try Yowamushi Pedal, but i'm hoping its not too targeted for "hot guys", I just like cycling.

I just signed up with Crunchyroll hoping this will get me back in the scene. Its still crazy to me there is a service that I can just give money to give me up to date anime that isn't subbed. Its like the future.

Soma

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence or "People Spout Philosophy Quotes at Each Other"

It's exactly like the constantly criticized Ghost in the Shell 2.0, which I suppose isn't a surprise. And CG, CG everywhere, especially in the second half. I think it's telling that my mom asked me "This isn't a video game?" when she caught some of that part.

Huh. I dunno, to me, GITS 2 always stood as an exception to the rule as far as CG usage goes in anime. The parade scene alone, combined with Kawaii's soundtrack, was exceptionally gorgeous to watch.

As for the rest of the film, I can see why many wouldn't like it. The overuse of philosophical quotes were definitely too much but I thought the film was really engaging for the most part. Batou's shootout with the Yakuza and the later Mansion scene were some really thrilling scenes for example. It's unfortunate that you didn't enjoy it as I find this and the first movie much better than the SAC series (which I'm aware is not a popular opinion).

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Or eyecancer inducing.

e: cept for this one

tumblr_mt5ls6cNWH1qm4sm7o1_500.png

tumblr_mt5ls6cNWH1qm4sm7o2_500.jpg

By the way, I've heard that this is what happens every time you mix up the acronyms for KLK and KnK this season.

(original pixiv link)

What is this I can't

Silky

Banned
This is for children and I'm giggling like a schoolboy who made a dick joke during recess. Kenshiro's fists look like log stumps and I love it.

Madoka Magika - 01

Episode was interesting. I do enjoy the modern/futuristic school setting and the ambient mysterious music that played when Homura was on screen. The ending was a bit abstract and weird when the scenery started to change and then blondie (I shall call her that for now) saved the day with her own abstract/weird stuff...

I came into this having watched Mawaru Penguindrum and I hope it will deliver the same feels as I progress through the show. Overall the episode was enjoyable however the plot is still up in the air, hope it is grounded soon so I can hopefully invest into the show.

Kuroko's Basketball 4:
I should probably get caught up on the first season now that the second season is airing (and is going to be covering some of the much more interesting moments of the manga). It's a solid adaptation so far, and this episode had Hyuuga being a badass and some really great hype building moments with the music. The practice match isn't exactly the most interesting part of the series, but I think they did a good job of building up the tension and having some key dramatic moments.

Theonik

It's always good to see a convert to the light of Princess Tutu which is certainly one of my favorite magical girl/post-Utena TV series that is clearly influenced by previous works in the genre but manages to bring a number of it's own ideas to the table. I remember being extremely impressed with the execution of the story, especially the pacing, and how the series handled it's two major arcs. Really good stuff.
It's even more impressive they managed to nail the pacing when you consider how they had to change the episode length for the second and third seasons. (though that fact can actually be noticed)

Gingitsune 1

This episode made me feel all warm and comfortable inside, it's wonderful. I was a bit concerned about having that sort of conflict in the very first episode, but after it ended I felt like I really understood our two main characters Makoto (who is goddamn precious by the way) and Gintaro. These two just have a really heartfelt relation with each other and I'm incredibly eager as to how the show will develop it.

Huh. I dunno, to me, GITS 2 always stood as an exception to the rule as far as CG usage goes in anime. The parade scene alone, combined with Kawaii's soundtrack, was exceptionally gorgeous to watch.

During the parade scene, all I was thinking is that I want to watch the Blue Exorcist film again.

As for the rest of the film, I can see why many wouldn't like it. The overuse of philosophical quotes were definitely too much but I thought the film was really engaging for the most part. Batou's shootout with the Yakuza and the later Mansion scene were some really thrilling scenes for example. It's unfortunate that you didn't enjoy it as I find this and the first movie much better than the SAC series (which I'm aware is not a popular opinion).

The mansion scene was a neat idea, but by then I had already checked out. And if I hadn't, Kim's speeches would have made me do so. The dialogue was seriously difficult to pay attention to. I love the first Ghost in the Shell movie, so it's not like I hate Oshii, but Innocence didn't do it for me.

I'll reserve any statements concerning SAC until I rewatch it, but I did find the first episode of Arise more entertaining than this.

Gintama Episode 29 “Part 1: Don’t Panic – There’s a Return Policy! / Part 2: I Told You to Pay Attention to the News!”
tumblr_mu9wnj0VC71qbxqfpo1_500.png

The Star Destroyer is epic, I see Gintoki in a whole new light now, while part 2 was incredible...it almost felt like it served as some sort of partial inspiration for terraformars (unless roaches invading earth has been done in media before). In any event I did jump when the giant roach appeared by Shinpachi leading to that hilarious line. Unforgettable part of an episode thus far.

Theonik

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still 03
%28g_p%29%20giant%20robo%2003%281080p%2010-bit%29%28b17f2cbb%29.mkv_snapshot_06.21_%5B2013.10.07_00.20.45%5D.png

The curse of 90s anime set in the future.
This episode was pretty damn impressive I found.
Normally a scene like this would be done from a static perspective, what we get instead is a very well laid out pan of the corridor, with some very well made 3D sakuga to go along with it.
This second scene was similarly of note. Stills probably don't really do it justice. I also really liked this transition, which drew my attention mostly because of how detailed the shot they used is considering you'd have a hard time actually seeing any of that detail.
This is an OVA and it shows!
Also I had no idea I'd get such a manly shot in this episode but here it is.

cnet128

Banned
Madoka Magika - 01

Episode was interesting. I do enjoy the modern/futuristic school setting and the ambient mysterious music that played when Homura was on screen. The ending was a bit abstract and weird when the scenery started to change and then blondie (I shall call her that for now) saved the day with her own abstract/weird stuff...

I came into this having watched Mawaru Penguindrum and I hope it will deliver the same feels as I progress through the show. Overall the episode was enjoyable however the plot is still up in the air, hope it is grounded soon so I can hopefully invest into the show.

Ooh, please do go on =D wktk

Monogatari SS 14 (Otorimonogatari 3)

Holy crap.

The shit that went down in this episode took me completely by surprise. That was pretty amazing.

And why did it have to end there?! aaaaagh why is the next episode not here already

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Karin 6

Well, this is the first major deviation from the manga, I think to pick a little story slack from skipping an arc. Zombie Kenta is pretty amusing to watch though.

Oh and here's the anime-only character to end the episode. Wow, what an absolutely shit-tastic design.

Madoka Magika - 01

Have fun. This is a great show.

Syrinx

Haibane Renmei 6

So Kuu reaches the "day of flight" and seems to have left forever, leaving her halo behind. So...where did she go? Is she dead, or has she just been summoned out of the town? And why Kuu? Right now the only thing that I can think it might have something to do with is how...I forget who it was was telling Rakka about how she had grown up a good amount since being born as a Haibane, mainly by no longer trying to be like everybody else. And that the jacket that she gave Rakka was something she had been holding onto for a while. And the Kuu even credited Rakka with giving her some of those "drops in the glass" that she felt she had, letting on that she felt that her time to leave had come.

And Reki had that one mysterious comment at the end about how eventually, "everybody leaves me". Wonder what she meant by that. I don't think it has to do with that guy they were talking about last episode. Sounds a bit more personal and permanent than that.

Madoka Magika - 01

Are you going into this blind?

Aria the Natural 22 (six minutes in)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

PARALLEL WORLD WHERE EVERYONE IS GENDER BENT.

MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT STOOOOOOOOOOOOOP.

Meganebu! 01

This show got a weird style with the transition and the colors which are pretty cool.

The plot is ok but it seems to be really able to just wear thin since I really can't see what you can do with glasses all season long. And it doesn't even seem to be like a slice of life with guys who wear glasses.

Might keep watching but it'll probably be something I'll drop due to lack of time.

Are you going into this blind?

I am going into this blind, my only knowledge of the show is that it sort of has the same theme/genre as Mawaru Penguindrum

Madoka Magika 02-03

I really enjoy the emphasis of wishes and to make it really count and having both Madoka and Sayaka think long and hard on it. I am growing on the abstract scenery whenever they do battle with witches, gives it a more realistic vibe in a sense that not everything is all colorful beams of light when it comes to magic/supernatural. Mami and Homura's interaction led me to believe that Mami has a darker and/or unrevealed side to her, however was a bit alleviated during her moment of vulnerability with Madoka, then the second half/end of Episode 3 happened.

Now here is where I establish my investment into the show. Darker themes are starting to show with Mami's death and I can't wait to see what happens next. Though it was a shock it didn't particular hit me in the feels that much and I was quite disappointed with the lack of blood. I guess Attack of Titan spoiled me in that regard. However with the whole wish-thing up in the air still I'm predicting one of the two girls' wishes will bring Mami back. I hope the show says no to this but I wouldn't be surprised if this hapepned.

Edit: Dat change of ending song is awesome, hope they keep it

Defuser

Phi Brain season 3 ep 1
That first puzzle....how is this a kid's show again? Who the hell thought that kids can solved that puzzle?

Anyway, it's good to see Phi brain make a return for season 3 with a proper sequel to season 1 and the villaness is interesting because she isn't obsessed with Kaito.

Gazoinks

I am going into this blind, my only knowledge of the show is that it sort of has the same theme/genre as Mawaru Penguindrum

Madoka Magika 02-03

I really enjoy the emphasis of wishes and to make it really count and having both Madoka and Sayaka think long and hard on it. I am growing on the abstract scenery whenever they do battle with witches, gives it a more realistic vibe in a sense that not everything is all colorful beams of light when it comes to magic/supernatural. Mami and Homura's interaction led me to believe that Mami has a darker and/or unrevealed side to her, however was a bit alleviated during her moment of vulnerability with Madoka, then the second half/end of Episode 3 happened.

Now here is where I establish my investment into the show. Darker themes are starting to show with Mami's death and I can't wait to see what happens next. Though it was a shock it didn't particular hit me in the feels that much and I was quite disappointed with the lack of blood. I guess Attack of Titan spoiled me in that regard. However with the whole wish-thing up in the air still I'm predicting one of the two girls' wishes will bring Mami back. I hope the show says no to this but I wouldn't be surprised if this hapepned.

It begiiiins. :D

Madoka Magika 02-03

Edit: Dat change of ending song is awesome, hope they keep it

Aww yiss. Keep going, there's a lot more for you to see. That was only the beginning.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
SekaTsuyo - 01

GHYGtao.png
OGaiN5A.png

Sadistic wrestler girl with a tan, yes please.

Idols? Wrestling? Together? Proceed!

Oh man, I really like this. A lot. :sdburton {nsfw) The plot is silly as shit, but damn it with the potential :sdburton moments this show could present I'd be a damn fool to miss out on it. WE IN THERE! (nsfw)

And yes, with those steam glare teases I will buy the fuck outta of the BDs when they're out.

Phi Brain season 3 ep 1
That first puzzle....how is this a kid's show again? Who the hell thought that kids can solved that puzzle?

Anyway, it's good to see Phi brain make a return for season 3 with a proper sequel to season 1 and the villaness is interesting because she isn't obsessed with Kaito.

it's funny because now it's kaito who is obsessed with someone (jin)

Aria the Natural 22 (For real-real)

I never ever want to experience the horrors of that first half in any anime ever again. EVER. That second half thankfully washed the horrors away, Akatsuki's mom is a total hotty.

Idol Wrestling 1

Opening: Completely forgettable.
Ending: Average. Don't really hate it though.

So I went into this series wanting fanservice and nothing but fanservice and by all accounts, it delivered on all fronts.

Boob shots and ass shots galore! Don't even want to post half the stuff that happened in the ring because I don't want deal with an overload of NSFW links.

I am not that happy over the glares that appeared in the shower scene or that I had to lower the sound on my headphones because I didn't want someone listening to the moaning and mistaking me for watching hentai.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Idol Wrestling 1

Opening: Completely forgettable.
Ending: Average. Don't really hate it though.

So I went into this series wanting fanservice and nothing but fanservice and by all accounts, it delivered on all fronts.

Boob shots and ass shots galore! Don't even want to post half the stuff that happened in the ring because I don't want deal with an overload of NSFW links.

I am not that happy over the glares that appeared in the shower scene or that I had to lower the sound on my headphones because I didn't want someone listening to the moaning and mistaking me for watching hentai.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom