• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 1

More wall to wall stylish nonsense, this time capped off with a
Witch.
I'm a fan of the art and music, and I enjoyed the episode about as much as Hoshi no Umi, so I'll keep watching for now.

Funimation finally ahead of the game -- to avoid anything else being leaked, they've announced their entire Fall season simulcast lineup:

Freezing Vibration will be simulcast Fridays at 12:30pm PDT, with episode 1 going live today to catch up
Unbreakable Machine-Doll will be simulcast Mondays at 12:00pm PDT
Tokyo Ravens will be simulcast Tuesdays at 10:00am PDT
BlazBlue: Alter Memory will be simulcast Tuesdays at 11:00am PDT

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=2237

Will check out all of these thanks for the update.

So is that everything now or are there still some series that don't have confirmed simulcast yet?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
That it did.
1319213562238.jpg

Perfection.

Nordicus

Oh ok so youve seen it.
FOr some reason I stopped watching S2 at episode 8 or so and never went back to it. Maybe I just got tired of how ridiculous it was. But Season 1 was definitely marathon material.
Get back in there and finish it!

I saw Code Geass for the first time during a 2-season overnight marathon at my local anime club. The first season was solid quality, the first half of Season 2 felt so fillery and sharkjumpy that I could barely stay awake. 2nd half of season 2? Some of the most amazing stuff that I've seen. The entire series was building up to those last few episodes.

That ending, man, that ending

Jarmel

Banned
Gingitsune 1-

I liked this a lot. I'm not a fan of some of the work done in the lighting field or some of the shots though. I also think the character designs are ok, not spectacular. What is great though about the show is the core relationship between the two leads.

Jarmel

Banned
Let get real, the writing is bad even or bunko standard.. I mean watch some random Railgun eps and its not felt as janky...

It's a different type of writing. It's not supposed to be 'naturalistic' dialogue like Railgun. It's closer in tone to something like Monogatari or Whedon. It's supposed to be banter. It should be compared against those two rather than something like Railgun.

cajunator

Banned
Yay, Tohka!

45KZ0Aw.jpg

Nice.

Now I just need to know whose going to voice the newly established third best girl Miku.

Tohka is love.

I saw Code Geass for the first time during a 2-season overnight marathon at my local anime club. The first season was solid quality, the first half of Season 2 felt so fillery and sharkjumpy that I could barely stay awake. 2nd half of season 2? Some of the most amazing stuff that I've seen. The entire series was building up to those last few episodes.

That first half of S2 is just not entertaining me. Im sure it gets better. the challenge is getting there.

Nafe

Hyouka 18-22 END

For all the extensive treatment the other characters got, Ibara kind of got shortchanged, but that's probably because she's simply the most normal one of the group.

But yeah, as much as I disagree with Branduil on NTHT, I'll cosign his enthusiasm for this show. Terribly underrated.

Ah, I was just about to ask if you were still watching the show or if I had somehow missed some comments by you. It's good to know that you can see Hyouka is a good show. :)

For example, once when I expressed interest in checking it out a couple months ago, the person I was talking to at the time didn't even have any hope that I would like it. "You'll probably think it's just boring." :(

tumblr_mca0mxi6qn1qh4v10o1_500.png

yami4ct

Gundam Build Fighters 01

Man, that was great. So much fun. The lighthearted tone works so well. I love the way it takes traditional Gundam tropes but puts a lighter spin on them. The series even has its own Char, and actually a pretty interesting one all things considered. It also really captures the joy of model building quite well.

One of the things I noticed most was how much better it capitalizes on nostalgia than Pokeon: Origin did. A lot of great classic suits are there, complete with signature poses, but it never feels tied down by it. Heck, there's even a great cameo by an old character. It uses nostalgia without being completely beholden to the series it's cribbing on.

So many great moments, too. The hand animated battles are beautiful. Such great colors and cool style. Not going to lie, I did enjoy the fact that they sort of completely tore down Gundam Wing this episode. Not only is the Wing Gundam not remembered, but it gets absolutely demolished in battle by a Gyan of all things. It was sort of hilarious. I was also kind of surprised Bandai let the blessed Freedom Gundam actually get taken down by a grunt suit during that tournament commercial.

Just a great premiere. Show promises to be a lot of fun, if only for the beautiful battles. I kind of hopes this convinces Sunrise to give another hand animated proper series a shot, but if not at least we get to see these great suit designs realized to some of their fullest potential without CG.

Nafe

speaking of which, I thought you ought to know that this is a real cap from Vibration 1:

ZnRA2ccl.jpg

It doesn't even make any sense contextually or even grammatically, but there you go.

Actually it does. What she's saying there is correct, it's not some troll sub or something. I figured she was referring back to near the end of the first season where
there's the first Pandora girl in stasis underground and the East genetics girls were being possessed by the Nova to attack and the West Genetics girls like Satellizer and Rana were mobilized to intercept them so they didn't reach her.

Taking a quick look and it's in Episode 10 of the first season the one higher up girl radios them to head to "Ravensborne Nucleotide". Rana hears the ravens part as lesbians and the nucle as nude. Since there's no "ti" in Japanese but you pronounce in more like "chi", she hears that as ochichi or breasts. Her mishearing the name of the facility then is where that comes from.

She's basically saying then "I remember you from that time we fought you at (facility whose name I'm mispronouncing)"

GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS Ep1
This show did not disappoint.
It kind of reminds me of G Gundam, only with plastic models and no pressure of ruling the world.
It almost makes me want to built a model of my own.

yami4ct

GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS Ep1
This show did not disappoint.
It's almost like G Gundam, only with plastic models and no pressure of ruling the world.
It almost makes me want to built a model of my own.

Do it! There's so much joy in putting together your own models, even if you're only snapping them off of trees and stickering them. That's kind of one of the things I thought the show did really well.

The one problem with model building is how much of a money pit it is, haha.

Hm, haven't watched a thing in weeks, though I did at least manage to finish the two things that I was remaining current with.

[Watamote]:

Perhaps it did stray a little too much with its message, and overall, probably acted a little too jovially for the tone it often implied it was reaching for, but if offered enough to see me through to the end. Though, Tomoko wasn’t really what kept me watching, because truth be told, her character was entirely deplorable, and it wasn’t hard to see that her situation was more a factor of her poisonous personality, than it ever was due to her hobbies/interests. For as much as the central theme is loneliness and isolation, she both laments and embraces her position in equal measure. When any kind of narrative crossroad is reached, it ultimately leads to a minor fix, with Tomoko’s conviction (or lack thereof) being the one thing that maintains the status quo. That, in essence, is her character, so I was never going to be surprised that the anime would take that tact - I just would have liked for it to offer more at its conclusion. As it stands, it just sort of stumbles through the last couple of episodes, before setting right back where it began. Not that I have a problem with that being the ending, rather how it arbitrarily settles there.

The show schizophrenically portrays Tomoko, simultaneously wanting us to (mockingly) laugh at her, while also feeling sympathy. Ambivalence is how I would ultimately describe my feelings towards the story, as it never manages to quite strike a balance, and so those moments of poignancy, largely come across feeling wrought. If it had existed purely as self-contained episodes of sketches (which pretty much what the first half was), I probably would have enjoyed of it a lot more. I just ended up confused as to what it was trying to achieve. Dramatically, it was far too broad to ever really hit, and as mentioned, erratic. It essentially began as a comedy, that wasn't all that funny, and ended up quite maudlin.

Enjoyable, all the same, but I feel as though it squanders itself.

So from a score between 2 to 7, what would you give it?

Funimation finally ahead of the game -- to avoid anything else being leaked, they've announced their entire Fall season simulcast lineup:

Freezing Vibration will be simulcast Fridays at 12:30pm PDT, with episode 1 going live today to catch up
Unbreakable Machine-Doll will be simulcast Mondays at 12:00pm PDT
Tokyo Ravens will be simulcast Tuesdays at 10:00am PDT
BlazBlue: Alter Memory will be simulcast Tuesdays at 11:00am PDT

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=2237

Cool, BlazBlue and Tokyo Ravens then.

Will check out all of these thanks for the update.

So is that everything now or are there still some series that don't have confirmed simulcast yet?

KYOUSOGIGA TV, YOZAKURA QUARTET: HANA NO UTA, PUPA (if that is still even airing, lol), NON NON BIYORI, ARPEGGIO OF BLUE STEEL

Today's simulcast announcement from Crunchyroll: they're going to stream My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy (also known by the short form of its Japanese title, NouCome). Wednesdays at 11:00am PDT.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...erfering-with-my-school-romantic-comedy-anime

What a literal name.

Today's simulcast announcement from Crunchyroll: they're going to stream My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy (also known by the short form of its Japanese title, NouCome). Wednesdays at 11:00am PDT.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...erfering-with-my-school-romantic-comedy-anime

Is there a Light Novel generator out there that authors use to just generate their books whole cloth from every other light novel in existence?

Jex

Golden Time feels more like a Pet Girl set in college more than something resembling Toradora. The really blatant harem set up is kind of pushes it more in one direction than the other. But hey, hopefully the show doesn't squander the fact that the characters are adults and not high school students anyway.

Your heart is filled with too much hope.

-Minsc-

Do it! There's so much joy in putting together your own models, even if you're only snapping them off of trees and stickering them. That's kind of one of the things I thought the show did really well.

The one problem with model building is how much of a money pit it is, haha.

I am now reminded of that model building episode of Genshiken. :)

duckroll

Let hope its not just because Obari heavily involved in this episode.

Obari only did the flashback scene with the original Gundam. This series has everyone who is anyone in mecha animation involved all the way through to ep9. Hiroshi Arisawa and Se Jun Kim are the main mecha animators on the show.

The known mecha animation director line-up so far:
Ep1 = Hiroshi Arisawa
Ep2 = Se Jun Kim
Ep3 = Munetaka Abe
Ep4 = Shinya Kusumegi
Ep5 = Ken Ootsuka
Ep6 = Kenichi Shido
Ep7 = Masami Obari
Ep9 = Hiroki Mutaguchi

If anything, the show is just going to keep looking better and better. Lol.

Pooya

Jex

Hello all,
I'm fishing for recommendations of a specific variety. I'm looking for epic giant robot animes (preferably TV series but I'm not opposed to movies and OVAs) in the vain of Lagann and Gun Busters. I've seen tons of good mecha and giant robo series but I have a craving for following:
  • Epic Story
  • At least a hint of romance
  • Large Robots that are epic on near or larger-than planetary scale
  • Physics be damned!
As people have mentioned, your best bet is easily Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stoold Still which is not only of the best robot anime ever made but one of the best anime ever produced.

G Gundam and Shin Mazinger Z are both also excellent works from the same director. G Gundam has some pacing issues and Shin Mazinger Z was made on the cheap but they're both still great.

LayLa

Gingitsune 1

For some reason the fox spirit's design really creeped me out, i spent most of the episode horrified by its huge man hand/paws. The plot was painfully by the numbers too, although I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as it's the first episode. Basically this is no Natsume so far.

One of the reasons I actually kinda like S2 is because of how ridiculous the whole thing is. I suppose seeing shows really jump the shark is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Taruranto

Hyouka 18-22 END

For all the extensive treatment the other characters got, Ibara kind of got shortchanged, but that's probably because she's simply the most normal one of the group.

But yeah, as much as I disagree with Branduil on NTHT, I'll cosign his enthusiasm for this show. Terribly underrated.

How many times did you fell asleep through it? You can tell us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom