• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Someone on my feed is doing work or something. Anyway, here are the new girls in Date A Live.

1379661_517648098313326_142737107_n.jpg

1qf9KTt.gif

cajunator

Banned
It's unusual for me to say something like this about Tsunako's art, but I find their appearances more appealing here than in the LN.

Also contractual duties, doing god's work, etc:

Good god...
Thank you Tsunako!

And sure enough, as predicted by many, Non Non Biyori is the last Crunchyroll simulcast announcement for the day. Mondays at 1:05pm PDT.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/10/07-1/crunchyroll-to-stream-non-non-biyori-anime

Yeah it was to be expected.

Too perfect.

Rest assured you'll be able to purchase the continuing adventures of Ichika and company, as Sentai Filmworks has licensed Infinite Stratos 2.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/sent...s-licenses-infinite-stratos-2/719245488102566

I will buy this and I will hate myself for it lol.

Except for Kyousogiga and Yozakura, everything I wanted to watch has been legally picked up, and I'm suspecting the latter may be picked up yet. I love living in the future.

Silly enough those two plus Pupa are the only shows that haven't had some announcement for streaming this season.

Mushibugyo 26

So that was a pretty predictable end to the show. Kuro is still cute as ever and Jinbei is still an idiot who still doesn't realize who she really is.

I want to say I liked the series but there was some problems that I had that became pretty apparent during the second half of the show. Aside from Kuro (who is by far the best character), Mugai and maybe Haru (fanservice), none of the other characters were compelling enough to hold any interest, let alone an episode to themselves. Jinbei's idiocy was honestly too much, and while I will admit that I found it pretty amusing during the beginning, it just became a chore to watch him being so goddamn stupid each and every episode.

Another issue I have is that some of the battles were really mediocre. You can basically see how some of the fights (Almost all of the ones vs Sanada's Ten Crucifix) were done pretty poorly. This is incredibly disappointing since the battle vs the Insect Hunters, which was arguably the highpoint of the series, was so good. Guess whatever budget they had was put into those particular episodes.

I will say this about the second half. It gave us more Kuro screen-time, which is one of the best decisions this show has done.

6/10 Okay. Would recommend to anyone who wants to watch a generic action show without expecting anything special from it.

Chuck

Still without luck
Am I the only person who doesn't watch EDs? That's when I go to post my thoughts on gaf/twitter/etc.

I usually skip OPs and EDs. I'll watch them once and if they're really good I'll check them out again like Watamote's ED in which Tomoko sings the whole thing and it's fantastic. But like, when I marathoned Kuroko, I probably skipped 45 minutes of OPs, EDs and previews in the 12 episodes I blew through.

cajunator

Banned
Got a Best Buy gift card as a birthday present, Wonderful 101 or Zelda WW HD?

Im currently playing WWHD and its one of the highlights of my young life, but I would recommend W101.

I love Platinum Disco far too much. This rendition is no exception.

happy bite is better though. why no full version until christmas?! ;_;

Platinum Disco is a perfect song/video. Everyone should like it unless they are cold and dead inside.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Call of Duty?

Wolf Children.
Well that sort of illustrates the problem doesn't it. When you can establish, develop, and resolve a believable love story within ten minutes it makes it kind of hard to build even a whole movie around, much less an entire series!
Sure, it basically cheats with the montage. lol

BluWacky

I want to believe that Japan can handle a mature love story where people do more than exchange furtive glances and put letters in each other's shoeboxes!

Of course Japan can handle mature love stories - just maybe not in anime, and not as the focus of the story. In live action, one of the main subplots of Departures (Okuribito) is the effect that being an undertaker has on the main character's marriage.

What kind of story are you thinking of, firehawk? Can you give an example of a mature love story in Western media of the kind you want to see? Most romances in mass media I can think of are melodramatic or sappy. Is it "mature" as in "adult characters" you want, or just one that has a relationship with realistic ups and downs?

Did you watch Itazurana Kiss back in 2008? That covered a fairly long period of time at least for a relationship -
from first love through to marriage and then pregnancy
- although it's got a klutzy ditz for a heroine and a vaguely abusive bishounen hero.

I've already got something of an idea. Koiwai was Kigurumi in Joshiraku, and she nailed that role.

Joshiraku is sadly(or happily when I get to it?) part of my infinite backlog. Good to know that she's got the skills though, despite the relatively small list of credits.

Wind Waker HD is pretty great, but if you've played Wind Waker before, I would suggest W101 instead... provided you can handle over the top gameplay and leaving you on your own to really figure things out.

Actually chances are, I'd say W101 either way. The game needs more support.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wind Waker HD is pretty great, but if you've played Wind Waker before, I would suggest W101 instead... provided you can handle over the top gameplay and leaving you on your own to really figure things out.

I like games like that. It's how I approached the Prison Architect alpha and games like Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis.

BluWacky

But there are more single people in highschool than college and above!

But college kids and adults don't watch anime.

Unless it's noitaminA, and even then college kids probably don't watch it any more.

In fact, that reminds me - firehawk, have you watched Nana? Not noitaminA because it aired on NTV but I'm sure that's the kind of thing you'd be looking for.

>My Little Sister Can Read Kanji

>The year is 2202, and the 200 year war is finally over. Moe, a narrow sub culture started in the early 21st century, has won its war against classical literature. As ’1984′ said, ‘Those who control the future controls the past, and those who control the present controls the past,’ moe literature (to be more exact, imouto literature) has become a synonym for literature, and has erase all traces of old Japanese literature. Fanservice is seen as essential in any composition. Kanji is deemed needlessly complex and replaced with Hiragana. Novels are sprinkled with symbols such as ☆, !, @ .

>But more importantly, 2D characters have finally taken over the entire world. No longer are there 3D celebrities or famous people- all celebrities are replaced with 2D loli characters. Boring politicans are replaced with charming imouto loli. Moe was abundance, and there was much rejoicing. Loli figurines from the 21st century are seen as precious artifacts that are to be treasured and remembered. Moe is now the only genre, the One True Way. People looked back to early 21st century and wondered how on earth did those barbarians live in that dark age.

There is a point where this needs to stop and we have clearly passed it.
ibrsTy8ZQwYOPJ.jpg

I like games like that. It's how I approached the Prison Architect alpha and games like Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis.

Good! I had to try the demo again just to be sure, and I got the hang of it. Although apparently there was more to it than it really tells you. Granted, it at least gives you more than what the Metal Gear Rising demo did.

Midonin

Ah, almost forgot, Voicetorm 7 and Tesagure! Bukatsumono. Would like it if both of those were picked up. I was thinking CR would, but I don't know the chances of that now. As both are dialogue-heavy, subs are a necessity.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Stop watching/reading stuff taking place in high school!
That's all they make! Golden Time seems like an exception, not a rule!

Of course Japan can handle mature love stories - just maybe not in anime, and not as the focus of the story. In live action, one of the main subplots of Departures (Okuribito) is the effect that being an undertaker has on the main character's marriage.

What kind of story are you thinking of, firehawk? Can you give an example of a mature love story in Western media of the kind you want to see? Most romances in mass media I can think of are melodramatic or sappy. Is it "mature" as in "adult characters" you want, or just one that has a relationship with realistic ups and downs?

Did you watch Itazurana Kiss back in 2008? That covered a fairly long period of time at least for a relationship -
from first love through to marriage and then pregnancy
- although it's got a klutzy ditz for a heroine and a vaguely abusive bishounen hero.
I'll agree that with long form serial entertainment, it becomes basically impossible to do an actual "romance". If your show is hinged on whether or not two people will get together and mash bits, then you run into the terrible, terrible problem that How I Met Your Mother found itself in (as dakku would attest to!).

That said, I also understand that otaku probably don't want to see stories about people in relationships or whom have been married for years, which forms the basis of the majority of sitcom/drama relationships.

But, I'll admit, when I say "Japan", I basically mean sadlife nerds who watch TV at 26:35 because they have nothing better to do with their lives. I'm sure "real" Japan are watching fine Jdramas that aren't strictly set in high school. lol

Gazoinks

The Tatami Galaxy 9

No one said there would be FEELS!
This episode had some surprisingly sad bits with Akashi slapping Watashi and the whole ending.

Higuchi laying down the life advice.

Articalys

Arpeggio of Blue Steel ep.1

Purely a setup episode, but I liked it. The CG animation works well enough for me. Looking forward to more.

BluWacky

I'll agree that with long form serial entertainment, it becomes basically impossible to do an actual "romance". If your show is hinged on whether or not two people will get together and mash bits, then you run into the terrible, terrible problem that How I Met Your Mother found itself in (as dakku would attest to!).

I'm hoping this final season will redeem the show; it long went off the boil but I'm quite enjoying it so far...

But, I'll admit, when I say "Japan", I basically mean sadlife nerds who watch TV at 26:35 because they have nothing better to do with their lives. I'm sure "real" Japan are watching fine Jdramas that aren't strictly set in high school. lol

Well, indeed. Mature relationship stories don't appeal to the target audience of most late night anime, so... they don't make them!

Kurita

Ben and Leslie in Parks and Recreation = best couple on TV
#TruthBomb
I'm almost cried when he proposed her, I'm not kidding

Pooya

GBF isn't as silly as I thought, good stuff. Also yeah, there is gonna be a twist, Sunrise can be very creative at times.

Nerawareta Gakuen

This is one of the most overly post-processed anime I've seen outside GoHands. I hesitate to make that reference, since certainly Ryousuke Nakamura's aesthetic sensibilities are superior to anyone working at GoHands, but that almost makes it worse, as you've got attractive art and lots of pleasantly cartoony animation that often gets completely overshadowed by more lens flare than a J.J. Abrams movie. In almost every scene there was some element that made me go "Why the heck is that there?" Some of the color work gets to be overbearing as well. I also had to laugh when during the first half-hour pretty much every scene was filled with floating cherry blossoms, no matter the location. "Sunny with a chance of flower pedals" indeed.

The excesses in the visuals are mirrored by excesses in the storytelling, mostly at the end. For much of the movie the narrative proceeds logically, developing the character relationships on the one hand, and gradually building up the tension in the school on the other, but just when things come to a head everything immediately collapses. The progression of events, the character motivations, it all becomes extremely muddled and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Especially with the cheap way the pre-credits and post-credits scenes were handled. The theme of communication is an interesting one, and there were a few thoughtful tidbits on the subject, but making its primary exploration be through familiar romantic comedy tropes made it less interesting than it could be, and of course the end completely obscured whatever the film had to say on the subject. Maybe Nakamura made the film for physics!

My favorite part of the film was that, when Kyogoku was playing Clair du Lune, the animators actually bothered to animate the real movements and keystrokes that would be necessary to play the piece instead of faking it. Big props for that!

Branduil

Hyouka 18-22 END

For all the extensive treatment the other characters got, Ibara kind of got shortchanged, but that's probably because she's simply the most normal one of the group.

But yeah, as much as I disagree with Branduil on NTHT, I'll cosign his enthusiasm for this show. Terribly underrated.

I think Mayaka got a lot of development in the second half, especially during the school festival arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom