• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Kanon (2006) 17

Kaori's mindset is really fucking bizarre. I mean, your only sister is dying ffs.

Though to be honest, they really haven't show that Shiori is that sick, side from all the melodrama with her sister.

Welp, here probably come another feel filled goodbye.

LayLa

Non Non Biyori

slowjo to the core.
this wasn't very funny but made up for it by being v charming.
the girl with the recorder is Chiaki from Minami-ke.
the last episode is going to make me blub i suspect ;_;

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Haha, I didn't think you were referring to me with that statement, I was just trying to play along. Ultimately I guess you could say you were just...ki ni narimasu?
Whoops, I was being intentionally vague but then I thought you picked up on it. lol

Haha, you sound like cajunator.
My sleep schedule is probably just as bad.

CorvoSol

What? Sugu is what made the second half bearable. Best girl.

I can't.

Gundam Build Fighters 1

Kid's mom is hot.

God DAMN the mechs are hot.

Music is hot.

HOT HOT HOT.

Fuck you Gargantia and Valvrape, there's a new Mecha show in town. Goddamn. I'm loving the Turn A stuff, and the Wing stuff. This and Unicorn restore my faith in modern Gundam.

HOLY SHIT IT'S
RAMBA RAL
! WHAT THE HELL!? Best Gundam show since Unicorn confirmed.

Metrotab

Banned
Ugh, finally my throat infection has ebbed away. Autumn really is the worst season.

Gingitsune - 1

This is gonna be my 'soft' show for the season. A very relaxing tone seems to be emitted by the material.

I'm pretty impressed with the exposition for this first episode. We see the ruling dynamics between the main characters, and we see what the Fox does at the shrine: solve problems and tell fortunes.

Gintaro is pretty awesome, and his personality plays well with the girl's.

cajunator

Banned
With me seeing the title of that new anime "My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy." I thought I'd make a list of the 2013 anime with long title's so far.

1) I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job
2) No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
3) My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy
4) My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong As I Expected (SNAFU)
5) Problem Children are Coming from Another World, Aren't They?
6) Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3

Who makes up these names!? Did I miss any?

Japan LN's have some of the craziest titles I have ever seen. they seem to be getting worse too.

Non Non Biyori 1

Relaxed country girls doing relaxed country things. Also girls who don't look their age, but I ain't care because this show is so fuwafuwa.

Sold. I believe in the me who believes in you!

Whoops, I was being intentionally vague but then I thought you picked up on it. lol

My sleep schedule is probably just as bad.

You have troubles sleeping?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova/Arpeggio of Blue Steel:Ars Nova Episode 1

Well then, this show fills me with supreme ambivalence, there is a lot I like and there is a lot I am loathing. I like the naval warfare gimmick, it is not one we often see in anime. Kind of iffy on the heavy use of CGI, although we have clearly come a long ways from Blue Submarine Number 6. I like the Fleet of Fog, well for the most part, I like this badass mystery fleet of unknown origins that has the world in its clutches. I like the main cast, in spite of the fact that they are teenagers, I am going start calling this shit Coppelion Syndrome for how big of pill this is to swallow. Yes, yes, I know because anime dictates that our heroes must be teenagers. We do not know the full story on this crew, but we are given the reason why Gunzō Chihaya has been given captaincy of the I-401.

Right, so no use dancing around things anymore, the potential deal break here is
the fact that the Fleet of Fog is represented by god damned computers that have been anthropomorphized into cute high school aged girls. The worst of which is Ionia who is just fucking creepy with her I live to serve captain bland and nothing else routine.
This irritates me, this irritates me quite a bit since like Coppelion this seems to exist for the sake of fulfilling anime tropes at the expense of any kind of logical sense but I hold off on dropping it for now as I really, really want to like this show.

InuYasha 66

Koga vs Kagura? Ick, who'd want to watch a battle between them. The only positive is that Koga lost his shards so now he shouldn't be in the series much anymore.

Nice twist at the end

Quasar

Non Non Biyori

slowjo to the core.
this wasn't very funny but made up for it by being v charming.
the girl with the recorder is Chiaki from Minami-ke.

If I wasn't sold already (I need a Tamayura replacement) this would have sold me alone.

sonicmj1

Gundam Build Fighters

My Gundam franchise experience is just G Gundam and 08th MS Team, so I don't get any of the references in this show. But it's still a great slice of youth-oriented toy promotion programming. Nice mech animation.

I wonder how long it'll take until it's revealed that Reiji is Sei's split personality.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Kanon (2006) 18

what is this i can't even

Yuichi, you player, you.

Whoa what.
That's quite the bombshell there, kiddo.

Yeah, here are the feels again. :'/

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighters

My Gundam franchise experience is just G Gundam and 08th MS Team, so I don't get any of the references in this show. But it's still a great slice of youth-oriented toy promotion programming. Nice mech animation.

I wonder how long it'll take until it's revealed that Reiji is Sei's split personality.

It would be odd for Gundam to reference Madlax of all things.

I am a huge sucker for KEY anime.
IAx0cYQ.png

01 - When does the love story even begin?

I like the new OP, even if it's not as rock awesome as the first season's. It'll better suit the INEVITABLE DEPRESSING CONTENT later in this season.

Wait, Kyosuke can play the guitar? Why did this not show up before?
haha, there's something about this scene playing out after the crying and depressing OP.

Aw yeah, the drama's starting. This is what I was waiting for. And finally Kurugaya is going to have a story arc focused on her! I was hoping we'd get one in the first season... but I'm glad we're getting to her right away.

Anti-blackmail Kurugaya is awesome.

Angry revenge girl (Takamiya?) is strangely well animated-- HOLY WOAH THAT POOR DESK
EJfQsh5.png

Well this is exciting. I wonder when they're going to explain exactly why Kurugaya even became friends with Riki in the first place. Also aww, they're holding hands. I wonder if they will play up romance (even though Rin is predestined love interest) Wow, things are getting weird now...!

CorvoSol

Gundam Build Fighters

Reiji is the ghost of Sei's father. Think about it, why else would he be so set on caring for this kid and also his mom? Well okay who wouldn't care for Rinko.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Though I'm certainly open to and often enjoy incest themes in works, I don't know that I want to be associated with that exclusively >.>

I mean, I enjoy an awful lot of different tropes and fetishes, controversial and otherwise. Incest isn't even particularly high up on the list.
Don't worry, no one wants to follow my jokes anyway so that :name association will likely never get referred to outside of that post.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Montages are one of the best ways to express the development of a relationship though (see Up).
Of course, but it's still a cheat.

Ben and Leslie in Parks and Recreation = best couple on TV
#TruthBomb
I'm almost cried when he proposed her, I'm not kidding
Only took 5 years? lol

I'm hoping this final season will redeem the show; it long went off the boil but I'm quite enjoying it so far...
I hope it turns out that the mother isn't the mother but the guy's first wife or something. :p

Well, indeed. Mature relationship stories don't appeal to the target audience of most late night anime, so... they don't make them!
This is the truth. :(
I'm still wondering why there hasn't been an anime procedural, since they are imminently popular as jdrama staples (even if the jdrama versions have to rely on comedy to cover up their inherent shittiness lol).

Ai yori Aoshi says hello
Wasn't that just a harem?

If you want an example as a decent mature love story read the Korean manwa Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan.
Funny books don't count, because most of the broader appeal ones get made into dramas or are ignored altogether!

Mason ikkaku (fuck apple word correction) is defiantly one the better slice of life but it's romance plot is full of silly flaws (series of silly misunderstandings) that make it dumb but more entertaining at times.
Maison Ikkoku.
a) Doesn't it take forever the romance to resolve?
b) Of course there are exceptions! Last season we did have Servant x Service after all. Even though none of the couples are actually together. lol

Articalys

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta ep.1

Man, there's like twelve main characters to keep track of right off the bat here. This could get complicated really fast.

Enjoyed the episode though. Looks like I really can follow along without having seen anything from the franchise before.

Pooya

UNMARKED SPOILERS for FIRST episode within.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel - 1

well maybe my eyes were tired or something while watching this, it didn't look that bad to me. Action scenes and explosions, ships themselves and all the water effects look good to me, I don't think you can have large action scenes like this on average anime TV in traditional form anymore.

What looks bad of course is the characters. They look like video game characters and move just like some video game character. If you played something like Tales of or idolm@ster games you'd probably find this looking similar albeit with more detailed models. Low frame, robotic character animations look distracting and bad. If you're going full CG, I'd say just mocap everyone and be done with it. Other side characters or should I call them NPCs now? look a LOT worse than main characters, they're indeed like generic video game models.

CG aside, it features that post apocalyptic destroyed civlization set up that I dig very much, I like that. That about sums up the visuals.

It has pretty good sound effects, the battles sound like a battle coupled with orchestrated music, feels 'epic' and everything which seems appropriate here.

The set up, looked a lot like Evangelion clone at first but now it's with a mysterious fog fleet. (Now that I mention Evangelion, I think the creators really like Eva 3.33, it uses very similar looking hexagon pattern CG field effects that there was in the beginning of the movie, which seemingly work like AT fields or shields here in Arpeggio? dunno.)
Too bad the mysterious invading forces don't remain mysterious for long and turns out they're normal looking human made ships but controlled by beings manifested as.. loli cute girls.. which as they say "we're the ships". Looks like moe girls as ships really is a thing, as with uber popular Kantai Collection game. man dunno.

What I like was Iona having the same voice actress as Miho from Girls und Panzer and saying all the military babble and orders during the battles felt a lot like GuP, she's like a robot here though.

I was half interested in the premise but when moe girls showed up as enemies, I gave up, that ruined all the tension and seriousness I'm looking for in anime like this. Maybe this could be this year's GuP, be surprise hit, very entertaining show with girls piloting battle ships and submarines, I doubt it very much right now.

Quasar

But college kids and adults don't watch anime.

Unless it's noitaminA, and even then college kids probably don't watch it any more.

Don't watch or don't buy? I'm guessing its the latter. Which I guess for anime makers means exactly the same as they get little or no income from those people.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
UNMARKED SPOILERS for FIRST episode within.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel - 1
I was half interested in the premise but when moe girls showed up as enemies, I gave up, that ruined all the tension and seriousness I'm looking for in anime like this. Maybe this could be this year's GuP, be surprise hit, very entertaining show with girls piloting battle ships and submarines, I doubt it very much right now.

Why, why, why did they do this? I really want a reason other then because anime.

Metrotab

Banned
Non Non Biyori - 1

First of all, this show is ridiculously comfy to watch. It's just a couple of easy-going girls in the Japanese countryside living regular lives. But what's this? A Tokyo city dweller coming to live here? Looks like we're gonna see all facets of the countryside life in Japan! Amazing setup and execution of the idea, already.

This show shares the same kind of situational humor with Joshiraku, to my perception, and that is awesome!

I hope more people are gonna enjoy this show alongside myself.

InuYasha 67

Koga got his jewel shards back fuck me

Naraku needs to make some more incarnations so that we don't have to see Kagura always be the foe everyone fights.

Ace of Diamond 1
The main protagonist seems very dumb, but good baseball action

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta 1
Seems very interesting and action orientated

This is the truth. :(
I'm still wondering why there hasn't been an anime procedural, since they are imminently popular as jdrama staples (even if the jdrama versions have to rely on comedy to cover up their inherent shittiness lol).

For the same reason there aren't American animated procedural shows - the audience interested in TV procedurals aren't interested in animation.

This thing goes both ways, remember. It's true that fans of anime aren't typically fans of certain types of adult-oriented subject matter, but at the same time fans of those types of adult-oriented subject matter aren't typically fans of animation.

Don't watch or don't buy? I'm guessing its the latter. Which I guess for anime makers means exactly the same as they get little or no income from those people.

Only crazy collectors buy anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For the same reason there aren't American animated procedural shows - the audience interested in TV procedurals aren't interested in animation.

This thing goes both ways, remember. It's true that fans of anime aren't typically fans of certain types of adult-oriented subject matter, but at the same time fans of those types of adult-oriented subject matter aren't typically fans of animation.
The Otona Joshi no Anime Time specials were an attempt anyway, but yeah, that's true. There are those super long running family shows, but we basically don't see them here so I don't really know much about them, but I have to imagine that they're as bland as The Simpsons are to an American audience.

Pooya

Why, why, why did they do this? I really want a reason other then because anime.

well, like I mentioned there is this social game Kantai Collection, which is exactly that, moe girls are battleships... it's super popular. Though the source manga here precedes that game. Maybe it's a thing for them dunno. What pissed me off is the bait and switch, at first it looks very serious then... shit.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Kanon (2006) 19

And then there were but two, but it's quite obvious that he'll never return Nayuki's feelings. It's always been Ayu

Is the doll what Ayu lost or was it Yuichi?

Ah my poor heart. That was really heartwarming.

InuYasha 68 7minutes 49seconds

Nope bailout

Can't handle Shippo filler episode fighting thunder got loli with a more manly voice then Shippo.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Technically the joke referred to the GameBoy Camera.

The GameBoy Player on the other hand could play GBA quality and since videos were released for it we know that they would look like this:
zbwCvQM.png

Just a highly compressed tiny video.

But to be more specific since they were not compatible with the GBPlayer itself due to copyright prevention bollocks they actually looked like this.
f3wXYIJ.png

Yes, I'm being a bit of a bastard over this.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel 1

I needed to see something like this after the avalanche of cute this season seems to have been so far. Although there's more moe here (which is dangerously close to this Kantai [anthropomorphized warships] fad going on), I'm still digging the war-story aspect of it. Would have liked it a bit more if they opted not to go with moe characters to represent the warship AIs, but whatever. I'm in.

cnet128

Banned
Gingitsune 1

So this is a pleasant enough watch. I dunno, it's not really doing anything to excite me, but I'd say it's still one of the more enjoyable first episodes I've seen so far this season. Which probably says more about the general quality of this season than anything, but meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom