• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Seriously, now I know why people complain whenever Funimation gets a show for simulcast instead of Crunchyroll, because it means the streaming quality is going to take a nosedive.

Defuser

Thanks to Solune for showing me this:

aCxtnq6.gif
Mor dance 2.0

Bad drawing week? Bad drawing week.

4lexV58.jpg

(Infinite Stratos 2 ep 1)

Seriously, now I know why people complain whenever Funimation gets a show for simulcast instead of Crunchyroll, because it means the streaming quality is going to take a nosedive.

Though, I rather have Funi get a show I like than Crunchy because it's more likely it'll have a half decent DVD/BluRay release instead of bare-bones release from Sentai.

Infinite Stratos S2 1

Laura x Charlotte HNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. That's all that counts here. I mean, Ichika is still giving a neutron star a run for it's money in the density category, Charlotte is still the best girl, and the harem antics are beyond overdrive. Honestly I think it's even dumber than season one so far. But was anyone really expecting something more at this point? I mean seriously.

Golden Time 1

This is actually pretty damn enjoyable. I can definitely feel the Toradora! writer peaking through it all. It's pretty humorous and the music fucking sweet (thought I don't know if blues-y guitar-and-Hammond-organ music is totally great fit when they use it, even if it pretty good). Though I don't see really the Taiga-Koko comparison as much as I see a Yasuko-Koko comparison.

I'm definitely gonna keep watching.

Boku no Pico 1

So, umm, this is a thing. And I watched it.

I'm considering not watching Infinite Stratos if it's seriously going to join the "guy never chooses a girl" league of bad harems. He clearly has a favorite girl. Just fucking go for it.

As to Golden Time the intro already gave away that the two characters will end up together. Though it's not surprising considering it's by the Toradora author. The master of "they're interested in other people and help each other out, but eventually realize they care about each other"

And that last one I refuse to acknowledge. Why would you do that to yourself?

Pooya

CR is like Steam...
Funimation, GFWL
and Daisuki, Origin.

Viz, uplay?

Quasar

This is like the entire premise of IS.

And isn't it like the main tenet of harem shows? I mean if someone is chosen it more or less disolves the harem (and ends the show), unless you go down the Rosario+Vampire road of all the other girls just ignoring his choice.

Midonin

A pretty good adaptation of the manga so far
The show is adapted from a light novel, so comparing it to the manga is comparing an adaptation to another adaptation. I know that manga is much easier to translate, but it feels like an uneven comparison. Even the manga may change some things to go from prose to sequential.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm considering not watching Infinite Stratos if it's seriously going to join the "guy never chooses a girl" league of bad harems. He clearly has a favorite girl. Just fucking go for it.

As to Golden Time the intro already gave away that the two characters will end up together. Though it's not surprising considering it's by the Toradora author. The master of "they're interested in other people and help each other out, but eventually realize they care about each other"

And that last one I refuse to acknowledge. Why would you do that to yourself?

Oh we all know he's picking
Houki
, they've hinted at that hardcore in the first season. My guess no one will get picked at the end of this season because they'll aim for a season 3 (because they're 2nd years right now right?). And anyways, I see like 90% chance of him picking
Houki
, a 9% chance of him picking no one (Cause, well, i can see them being that stupid) and 1% of them actually not being stupid and picking the best girl
Charlotte. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Well, yeah, but there will probably be more too it than that and the dynamic of their current interests in other people is already different enough to keep me watching.

And...I...don't know...

The show is adapted from a light novel, so comparing it to the manga is comparing an adaptation to another adaptation. I know that manga is much easier to translate, but it feels like an uneven comparison. Even the manga may change some things to go from prose to sequential.

Ah, wasn't aware that it was originally a light novel and the manga is the only thing I have been exposed to so I can't help it!

Quasar

My guess no one will get picked at the end of this season because they'll aim for a season 3 (because they're 2nd years right now right?).

I doubt any choice will be made till its made in the LN series, which I assume means it will never be made in the anime.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I doubt any choice will be made till its made in the LN series, which I assume means it will never be made in the anime.

Well, I mean the anime isn't following the novels exactly, apparently, because the
unmanned drone
thing they fight at the end of season 1 is actually supposed to be
the rep from the USA
, right?

Man I really wish that
they put in the USA rep and then also added the Canada rep as basically her younger, uglier sister :3

tumblr_mudh04Pl7Q1qm5nqro2_r1_500.gif

I just found that while wandering tumblr

I was going to make this gif, glad I don't have to anymore

InuYasha 74

So InuYasha's sword just got upgraded to level 3 tempered where it glows red, if InuYasha gets another upgrade where his sword glows gold he'll truly become Link from A Link To The Past. The episode had a heart warming ending and a good fight, always enjoy seeing the backlash wave.

Phi Brain 3 Episode 1
tumblr_mu98xqQ3xa1r77s58o1_500.gif

Its finally back though I had to quickly reacquaint myself with the JPN voices after listening to the english dub for so long. But that was difficult at all. Rook is just as good as ever and Kaito too (so many smiles to Rook and even Freecell there, it was lovely). Beyond that Enigma is an excellent addition to the cast and has the perfect personality for an antagonist this season. His whole annihilate puzzles mission
with Jin
feels like something that would be massive if he can have the right people under him.
I hope he has actual Phi Brain users under him
. I wonder if he will be a sort of rival to Kaidou Baron as well.

Say Yeah is amazing ending song.

Mushibugyo end

Wonderful ending. Not the most original hot-blooded display I've seen, but damn was it enjoyable to watch.

Everything about this show was super generic, but the soundtrack and bombastic presentation really elevated it to something memorable. I doubt we'll get another season, but I would hold off on reading the manga if we could, which is something I rarely do for adaptations I'm interested in after they end.

Articalys

BlazBlue Alter Memory ep.1

It's been ages since I played Calamity Trigger. Still feels odd to hear all the normal character themes slightly remixed for the anime as BGM though.

Also, it's probably a contracts/licensing issue, but
it's a shame Funi didn't translate Hakumen's speech the same way the game does.

Assuming this doesn't take any wild turns and more or less follows the game series' plot, I might not bother with this weekly and just marathon it at some point later, especially if Funi's video quality remains this bad.

Dresden

Yowamushi Pedal - 01

This was fun. It's sports shonen, meaning that the beginning is predictable stuff, but it's handled with confidence and the lead manages to be dorky without being annoying. With this and Ippo, it's a good season for sports anime.

Gundam Build Fighters - 1

Looks like this should be a fun series to watch. I do rather like the Build Strike, though I've always appreciated the Strike and its variations. Looking forward to seeing more!

cajunator

Banned
Infinite Stratos S2 1

Laura x Charlotte HNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. That's all that counts here. I mean, Ichika is still giving a neutron star a run for it's money in the density category, Charlotte is still the best girl, and the harem antics are beyond overdrive. Honestly I think it's even dumber than season one so far. But was anyone really expecting something more at this point? I mean seriously.

Golden Time 1

This is actually pretty damn enjoyable. I can definitely feel the Toradora! writer peaking through it all. It's pretty humorous and the music fucking sweet (thought I don't know if blues-y guitar-and-Hammond-organ music is totally great fit when they use it, even if it pretty good). Though I don't see really the Taiga-Koko comparison as much as I see a Yasuko-Koko comparison.

I'm definitely gonna keep watching.

Boku no Pico 1

So, umm, this is a thing. And I watched it.

Yeay IS prett much knows exactly what to deliver and how. It pulls no punches.

also...why are you watching boku no pico ?

Roujin Z

Science fiction in the classic sense of the word. It uses technological advances to shine light on a present-day social problem - care of the growing elderly population, a problem which certainly hasn't gone away between the film's release in 1991 and now. It manages to thoughtfully consider what society's attitude to the elderly should be - are they vegetables to be tossed about and forgotten or do they deserve respect and love even after senility sets in - while staying upbeat with humor and eye-catching spectacle. The characters are simple but charming, and it's difficult to not sympathize with Takazawa's desire to just see the beach with his wife again and Haruko's single-minded devotion to her patient.

The mechanical animation was really cool, especially in the action scenes in the later part. The increasingly elaborate design of the bed as it absorbs more and more machines into itself, and the wires which fly every which way as it does so, are a joyous expression of mechanical excess of the kind I associate with Otomo and other animators and artists of the late 80s and early 90s. There's some very expressive character animation too. The music was charming, I don't often like 80s/early 90s synth, but this was quirky enough to appeal to me.

Great stuff.

CorvoSol

Spare time. So valuable. So rare. So precious.

My flow chart

Do you have homework?

Blow it off to play some more Ace Attorney!

Is it something mundane like reading journals?

Blow it off to watch some more anime! REMEMBER: A bad time watching Gundam is still better than a good time doing a reading journal.

Is it due in an hour?

DO THAT SHIT MAN WE CAN'T AFFORD TO GET LESS THAN STRAIGHT A's!

Some impressions of a few first episodes of other series (beyond IS 2, which of course I did previously):

Kill la Kill 1 - So yeah, I watched the first episode of this It's decent; it's all about style and violence and stylish violence. That's pretty much all there is to it -- don't expect any actual depth or substance, at least not so far. It's from the studio who did Little Witch Academia (you did watch that, yes?), except very different in tone of course. Maybe it's a bit like a Go Nagai homage crossed with some touches of Redline, except with their art design style? Anyway, it's okay. Definitely has a lot of style, at least, even if it doesn't exactly make sense. But creating a sensible world is clearly not the point here. The main character is this girl with a scissor-sword (half of a scissors as a blade) and a magical (barely there) uniform she found in a secret area under her murdered father's house (helped out by unknown resistance forces, or something), the world's crazy, the school she's transferring into (in search of her fathers' killer) is run by a group of superpowered evil peoples(because this is anime, so of course it's set in a school!), etc... I could explain more of the plot, but there's not much point. It's all just an excuse to get her fighting with a sequence of badguys anyway, I think. And at that it succeeds. So yeah, it was alright, for something all style and no substance.

Log Horizon 1 - This is another "people stuck in a MMO" series. So yeah, it was obviously inspired by .hack and SAO (which itself was obviously inspired by .hack). However, unlike SAO, this isn't a stupid disaster of a series. Instead, it's acceptably average, somewhat generic stuff. The main character guy is a mage, which is cool; not a common main character class for sure! Way too many warriors get top billing in fantasy series, but mages are better. :) So yeah, that's cool. The other two characters so far are a warrior guy and an assassin girl. None are particularly original, but originality clearly isn't the point here... and I'll take average but competently decent above SAO garbage any day!

Also,
apparently in this series, people who die in the game don't die in real life. No moronic "brain frying tech which of course can't be disarmed from outside even though realistically it'd have been quickly disabled from the outside" garbage like SAO has.
Also, in Log Horizon, it's more in the .hack style of having no explanation for why people are stuck in the world (think of Sign!); it just is. That's probably the better way to set up this kind of story.

So yeah, Log Horizon may have generic characters, a derivative plot, and no particular standout elements, but still I thought it was decent to good. I like the genre in theory (it's an interesting concept), and while this fantasy game seems very generic, with none of .hack//sign's interesting settings or incredible soundtrack, still, it's not too bad. I also like the touch of how the people can access the menu system through an invisible thing that projects in front of them -- it's like sci-fi tech, in a fantasy world. Why not? It's a nice thing to add in. :) So yeah, if you like this kind of thing, go ahead and watch it. It's okay all around, decent middle of the road stuff.

Yuushibu 1 - This is a comedy series set in a store, with another "daughter of the demon lord and a guy who was going to be a hero" setting crossed with "store employee comedy antics" with a lot of fanservice-heavy stuff in it. That may sound interesting, but it isn't. Instead, this series is thoroughly generic, mediocre, and overly fanservicey. There's no reason to consider watching this, there are far better options out there. With less pointless fanservice (and sexism) and better comedy this could have been okay, but it's not, on any front. The demon lord's daughter has a few entertaining moments (her speech from the pretend purchase, most notably), but that wasn't enough to make this at all worth watching, unfortunately.

I still need to watch ep. 1 of Tokyo Ravens. The manga is okay, so hopefully it's decent. I also definitely have to watch Unbreakable Machine Doll. The manga and LNs start off pretty well, but sadly it bogs down into "each haremite gets a story arc in turn" repetition. Maybe the anime will stop before they reach the point where the series starts going downhill... that'd be nice. Anyway, I'm expecting the anime to be about as dark as the previous versions of the story are,

InuYasha 75

Holy crap good shonen filler what is this? Panther demon arc is off to a great start as long as the fights don't disappoint it should be pretty exciting.

Tenumi

Banned
CR is like Steam...
Funimation, GFWL
and Daisuki, Origin.

Viz, uplay?

I never thought I'd miss Novid this much. I'd love to here his statement on this...

Also... While I still remember it....

Revolutionary Girl Utena: 18

What... in the holy.... hell. This Black Rose arc, or whatever you want to call it.... I really don't have the words for the direction this is going. Disturbing, maybe?

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 1

Oh good, they've already introduced
Juri's sister
(AKA the best character).

Definitely entertaining. They definitely reintroduced the audience to the characters without much confusion. In the manga, there's always so many names and stuff to remember along with exposition dumps, that it sometimes overshadows the legitimately impressive action. I'm thinking this will be a more compact and solid experience, even if some vital things get lost in the process. Definitely excited to see where things go, and if the OP is anything to go by, it will be adapting some great arcs.

Syrinx

Spice and Wolf II 7

Holo is one devious fucker, damn. I'm kicking myself for not noticing the message she was sending with the white feathers on her hat. Goddamn she is so fucking awesome. Really carries this whole show.

Madoka Magika 10

This episode was just too good that I had to give it it's own solo reaction post!

So this episode goes into Homura's character arc and reveals her motivations (and past) in the show.
I had some Steins;Gate vibes here when it showed Homura going back in time repeatedly to find a way to save Madoka, just like S;G's Okabe trying to save Mayushi. When Madoka asked for Homura to prevent Kyubei from turning her to a Magical Girl I started to tear up and even more so when she stated that she didn't want to become a witch.

The time travel plot just relates so damn much to S;G but only restricted to one 'wordline'. Can't wait to see how the show implements this in the next three episodes. It was also great to see Mami and Kyouko back even if their stay was short. Just shows how their fates are also tied in altering the past/present.

And so Homura is now in a battle for second-best character with Madoka while bumping down Mami and Sayaka going for third due to this episode.

cajunator

Banned
Spice and Wolf II 7

Holo is one devious fucker, damn. I'm kicking myself for not noticing the message she was sending with the white feathers on her hat. Goddamn she is so fucking awesome. Really carries this whole show.

Remember without wolf this show is just spice.

CorvoSol

A bad time watching Gundam is better than quite a lot of things.

A good time watching Eureka Seven Astral Ocean is still worse than a bad time being gutted by a rusty nail. A good time watching Sword Art Online is still better than a bad time in a lengthy, vicious custody battle of attrition.

CR is like Steam...
Funimation, GFWL
and Daisuki, Origin.

Viz, uplay?

I wanna say Novid would not enjoy the comparison to Steam, but that's entirely too straightforward. Novid would say something way crazier, and I wish I could hear what that was.

CorvoSol

Attack on Titan 25

Oh boy the religious people were killed while they prayed in a humorous fashion.

Oh Attack on Titan you're so fucking shitty edgy.

Madoka Magika 10

This episode was just too good that I had to give it it's own solo reaction post!

So this episode goes into Homura's character arc and reveals her motivations (and past) in the show.
I had some Steins;Gate vibes here when it showed Homura going back in time repeatedly to find a way to save Madoka, just like S;G's Okabe trying to save Mayushi. When Madoka asked for Homura to prevent Kyubei from turning her to a Magical Girl I started to tear up and even more so when she stated that she didn't want to become a witch.

The time travel plot just relates so damn much to S;G but only restricted to one 'wordline'. Can't wait to see how the show implements this in the next three episodes. It was also great to see Mami and Kyouko back even if their stay was short. Just shows how their fates are also tied in altering the past/present.

And so Homura is now in a battle for second-best character with Madoka while bumping down Mami and Sayaka going for third due to this episode.

Episode 10 is the most heartbreaking shit I've ever seen in an anime. Be ready to shed major tears in the finale. I may not care about magical girl anime... but Madoka is the Goku of this anime. Homura is the Vegeta, only they're actually really close friends instead of frenemies.

BTW people I've read the Tokyo Ravens manga. I'm sad/sorry to say that after this arc (will probably end next episode) it turns from a romance with action into a shonen action series that happens to have a bit of romance.

Episode 10 is the most heartbreaking shit I've ever seen in an anime. Be ready to shed major tears in the finale. I may not care about magical girl anime... but Madoka is the Goku of this anime. Homura is the Vegeta, only they're actually really close friends instead of frenemies.

BTW people I've read the Tokyo Ravens manga. I'm sad/sorry to say that after this arc (will probably end next episode) it turns from a romance with action into a shonen action series that happens to have a bit of romance.

Who on earth after the op and end of the first episode thought this was going to be anything other then a shonen action series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom