• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well, I guess that leaves me as one of the few remaining consistent contributors to AnimeGAF who recognizes SAO has faults but still thinks of it as having more good than bad overall.

If I had to give a numerical attachment to SAO it'd be like a 6. It's above average but I don't think it's necessarily great. It has a pretty neat soundtrack, cool visuals, cool animation (when it actually happens), and an interesting premise. That number stands even after Fairy Dance. lol.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Planetes
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Space Battleship Yamato 2199

You fell into the same trap I did reading that post :) I started thinking of space as a theme rather than a background.

Started watching Suisei no Gargantia

Anyone have any suggestions for other scifi animes?
If you'd rather go for something more fantastical in the realm of space sci-fi, try:
  • Z.O.E Dolores,i (this isn't conventional and it's awesome)
  • Infinite Ryvius (sort of a downer)
  • Stratos 4 (the only anime named Stratos you should be watching *bitter*)
  • The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (its funny)

Kyoukai no Kanata 02

I'm still finding this enjoyable. It still looks great, that action was pretty amazing and I'm enjoying the back and forth between Akihito and Kuriyama.

• Sword Art Online S2 01
DcwzDr6.png

TL21xx

Banned
[*]Z.O.E Dolores,i (this isn't conventional and it's awesome)

So true. Also watch Z.O.E 2167 Idolo if you're in the mood for something that's a bit more of a downer (it's on the total opposite side of the coin from Dolores in terms of tone). It ties in directly to the first game and explains the backstory for Viola.

cajunator

Banned
You fell into the same trap I did reading that post :) I started thinking of space as a theme rather than a background.

If you'd rather go for something more fantastical in the realm of space sci-fi, try:
  • Z.O.E Dolores,i (this isn't conventional and it's awesome)
  • Infinite Ryvius (sort of a downer)
  • Stratos 4 (the only anime named Stratos you should be watching *bitter*)
  • The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (its funny)

Stratos 4 and Tylor.
thumbs up!!

Kyoukai no Kanata 02

I'm still finding this enjoyable. It still looks great, that action was pretty amazing and I'm enjoying the back and forth between Akihito and Kuriyama.

Yeah, this is one where I'm not really getting the majority of the criticism being thrown at the show. Echo on loving the back and forth between Akihito and Kuriyama and the action sequences continue to impress.

Probably right behind Kill la Kill in terms of how much enjoyment I'm getting out of the series so far.

Coppelion 2
Sort of a disappointing progression from the first episode, the leader of the group
breaking down and crying at the idea of not being allowed to save someone came off as really weird to me. I feel like the whole attempt at trying to portray the 3 characters as inherently vulnerable was pretty poorly done and felt shoehorned with characters taking complete 180 mood swings at really random moments. Didn't really fit with the way the characters were presented in the first episode.
Not enough for me to drop it as of yet but I'm hoping the next couple episodes turns it around ...

Gazoinks

I am watching a lot of anime today apparently! Wrapping up:

The Flowers of Evil 4

OH GOD WHY EVIL CIRCUS MUSIC WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHEERFUL OPENING.

I am amazed Kasuga worked up the nerve to ask Saeki. Of course there's basically no way it won't end poorly, but... Progress!

Still though. Dude should just return the gym clothes after school or something. Or just.. get rid of them somehow! come on!

Nakamura's slasher smile is terrifying.

I swear the ending song gets creepier every time I hear it. Especially the way they fade it in.

The Flowers of Evil 5

Well that... could have gone worse?

This was probably the best episode so far. Tense! also Nakamura's ninja run.
test3q.gif

It's interesting how a lot of Japanese media seriously idealizes the high school years and this show basically does the opposite and makes it the most unpleasant thing ever.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

The Flowers of Evil 4

OH GOD WHY EVIL CIRCUS MUSIC WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHEERFUL OPENING.

I am amazed Kasuga worked up the nerve to ask Saeki. Of course there's basically no way it won't end poorly, but... Progress!

Still though. Dude should just return the gym clothes after school or something. Or just.. get rid of them somehow! come on!

Nakamura's slasher smile is terrifying.

I swear the ending song gets creepier every time I hear it. Especially the way they fade it in.

The Flowers of Evil 5

Well that... could have gone worse?

This was probably the best episode so far. Tense! also Nakamura's ninja run.
test3q.gif

It's interesting how a lot of Japanese media seriously idealizes the high school years and this show basically does the opposite and makes it the most unpleasant thing ever.

REAL TALK! Was the live action actors they used for all the female character's actually male?

EDIT: Sorry if it was revealed later in the show or something... I stopped watching the series two episodes in because it was so terribly ugly.

Gazoinks

REAL TALK! Was the live action actors they used for all the female character's actually male?

EDIT: Sorry if it was revealed later in the show or something... I stopped watching the series two episodes in because it was so terribly ugly.

The height of femininity.

The animation has actually improved a bit, but I definitely understand how you could be totally turned off by it.

Serial Experiments Lain.

Although it's extremely slow-paced, and is probably not what you're looking for. Unless you're looking for a really weird French New Wave-influenced hodgepodge of ideas with a story that may or may not make sense packaged as a sci-fi anime series.

I just feel compelled to recommend it to anyone who asks for sci-fi anime, as it's my favorite for all of those reasons.

cajunator

Banned
Gokudo 1-26 END

What happened when Cajunator decided to do a Slayers-type show that was more like Bastard! but with more Japanese supernaturalism. Insufferable protag, but decent supporting cast. In short, it was watchable enough without ever being good.

Also, most if not all scene transitions featured this bunny girl who does not appear as an actual character:

AKB0048 Second Stage 1-13 END

This was only disappointing when you consider how much more Kawamori it could have been, but otherwise it went along as much as one could expect. Props for the
Night on the Galactic Railroad
reference.

Ive...never heard of this. Its relevant to my interests.

Planetes, Kiddy Grade, Stellvia, Nadesico

Plastic Little

:D

Serial Experiments Lain.

Although it's extremely slow-paced, and is probably not what you're looking for. Unless you're looking for a really weird French New Wave-influenced hodgepodge of ideas with a story that may or may not make sense packaged as a sci-fi anime series.

I just feel compelled to recommend it to anyone who asks for sci-fi anime, as it's my favorite for all of those reasons.

I'll list stuff off the top of my head, which usually is shit everybody and their mums has already seen

- Cowboy Bebop [derr]
- Ghost in the Shell [hurr]
- Psycho-Pass (Urobutcher involved in both, you've probably already seen it)
- Speed Grapher (underrated but it isn't exactly the best anime either. though it has an awesome opening song and great villain)
- Ergo Proxy
- Texhnolyze

LordCanti

Kyousougiga 01

Yay it's pretty good! The animation can't compete with the short obviously, but the story seems interesting and the animation is still nice. I'll be watching this one for sure.

anybody watches White Album? what's it like? I have no idea.

White Album 1 is not to my taste. Basically it's a melodrama/semi love triangle/harem about students in a university. Main character is a university student and the girl he loves the most is an idol, but she has to choose between him and her job and tends to lean for the job, etc...

White Album 2 tbh looks like it's showing more promise.

Speaking of Psycho-Pass, what's with all the hate I've seen for it on here? It's no masterpiece, but it's not bad. I will say that I strongly preferred the first half to the second half, though. The twist was pretty obvious and the ending was sort of anticlimactic, but I enjoyed the series as a whole.

I would've loved the whole series to be a cyberpunk police procedural.

anybody watches White Album? what's it like? I have no idea.

White Album 1 was a godawful story about a loser cheating on his idol girlfriend with a ton of girls. White Album 2 is unrelated story wise to the first show and the first episode was pretty good, but it's a romance about a love triangle, so I'm sure the drama will get heavy.

Of all the unrealistic things I've seen in anime, an idol in college takes the cake. What has the industry sunk into.
IIRC she basically stops going to college. She was his girlfriend before she became and idol, and then he starts cheating on her because she's not around anymore.

Speaking of Psycho-Pass, what's with all the hate I've seen for it on here? It's no masterpiece, but it's not bad. I will say that I strongly preferred the first half to the second half, though. The twist was pretty obvious and the ending was sort of anticlimactic, but I enjoyed the series as a whole.

Well it's getting a second season and a movie. So we'll probably see the story end properly.

Well it's getting a second season and a movie. So we'll probably see the story end properly.

I'm honestly not looking forward to the second season. It just doesn't seem like a very good idea. I felt like the first season was self-contained, and while there are a number of things they could expand upon for a second season, I don't have all that much hope that it'll be all that good.

The movie could be a prequel, which would be cool.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/10/09-1/little-busters-ex-anime-cast-announced

News out of last month's "KSL Live World 2013 way to the Little Busters! ~Refrain~" event was that a Little Busters! EX anime is in the works. Little Busters! EX refers to the Ecstasy version of Key's light novel. Unlike Kanon and Air, in which adult content was removed for later ports, Lilbus added it for the 2008 Windows game.

Now, Animage has revealed casting for the anime.

Sasami Sasasegawa - Sora Tokui
Kanata Futaki - Keiko Suzuki
Saya Tokido - Harumi Sakurai
bfda430a834fdd32da9f38313db14b6d1381372757_full.jpg

if they put in the adult content...
Z5Qr5Lv.gif

JCG

I don't think its a matter of being good or bad. The List transcends such silly classifications.

That's pretty much the whole point. It's a list of shows that transcend ordinary discussions of objective quality. By all rights, Garzey's Wing is an absolutely awful production, but it's also some of the most fun you'll have watching anime. How does that even compute? It doesn't, so it goes on the list.

Yet the List is still mostly full of anime that would be overwhelmingly considered either uniformly or primarily bad, which follows Hitokage's reasoning more than zeroshiki's.

Code Geass goes ridiculously crazy but still has enough good elements mixed in, including an ending which arguably salvages the second season in the eyes of many.

Unlike most of the stuff on the List, you can easily recommend the show based on more traditional parameters and, quite probably, not be accused of "trolling" someone.

tl,dr: Ideally speaking, there should be more "dual-purpose" shows on the list. But for whatever reason there aren't.

I'm honestly not looking forward to the second season. It just doesn't seem like a very good idea. I felt like the first season was self-contained, and while there are a number of things they could expand upon for a second season, I don't have all that much hope that it'll be all that good.

The movie could be a prequel, which would be cool.

I have a bad relationship with anime movies that get announced too soon after a new season or simply announced while a new season is expected. The reason is because it'll most likely be a retelling of the first season.

As to a second season, I don't mind. While the ending was self-contained, it still left the possibility of a second season as nothing really got solved in the large scheme (though repeating hells are a big theme in sci fi).

If Urobutcher is involved though the second season will most likely involve
Kou vs unit 1. I can really see him coming back as a neutral chaos antagonist.

Though I wouldn't mind if he came back and they started to work with each other to take down the system

As to the hate online, I really don't see it. People call it the Ghost in the Shell for the mentally challenged but I really liked it.

They're not really "recommended" because they're good, but because of other reasons. You've been warned.

• AD Police OVA
  • Angel Cop (dub) (caveats)
  • Bagi, The Monster of Mighty Nature
  • Baoh (dub preferred)
  • Black Lion (dub)
  • Blood-C
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
  • Crystal Triangle
  • Cyber City Oedo 808 (dub)
  • Dark Cat (dub)
  • Dog Soldier
  • Dracula: Emperor of Darkness (dub)
  • Earth Maiden Arjuna
  • Garzey's Wing (dub)
  • Glass Fleet: Legend of the Wind of the Universe (dub a plus)
  • Golden Laws
  • Goku: Midnight Eye (tentative)
  • Hermes: Winds of Love
  • ICE (footnote: most incomprehensible ever)
  • Kenya Boy
  • Kuttsukiboshi OVA
  • Laws of Eternity
  • Laws of the Sun
  • Mad Bull 34(dub a plus)
  • Mars of Destruction
  • Melody of Oblivion
  • Musashi Gundoh
  • Rebirth of Buddha
  • School Days
  • Shuffle (major caveats)
  • Street Fighter 2 V (with caveats)
  • Sukeban Deka (dub)
  • Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 0 (Madpierrot personal recommendation but nobody else has seen it)

What is there to recommend about SFII V? I've watched through the whole show, but wouldn't recommend it... it's just so boring, slow, and tedious, it's not really worth it.

I gotta watch Kyousougiga. I don't think there was any info in the OP so I just skipped it. The glowing reception in here has caught my eye though. Gotta make room for this.

Flowers of Evil 7-13

The show ended on a high note. I'm amazed that someone could make a main character as hopeless as Shinji. This is definitely a very different school anime from the rest and I would absolutely love to watch a second season. The "preview" sounded very interesting and leads me to believe that Kasuga grew some balls.

Saeki
is totally not what I expected her to be which makes her all the more interesting.

Hajime No Ippo: The Fighting!

The waves of feels washed all over me on this one. I didn't see such a speedy episode coming. They really just want to breeze right by this particular fight. Makes me feel kinda bad for Ippo's opponent, but I'll take it since people are saying that a lot of good stuff is coming up.
Time of Eve (Especially if you're into Asimov)
Steins;Gate
Planetes
Serial Experiments Lain
So what did you think of Gargantia on the Verdurous planet? Did you see that tweeeest coming or what?
Kyoukai no Kanata 02

Yeah, this is one where I'm not really getting the majority of the criticism being thrown at the show. Echo on loving the back and forth between Akihito and Kuriyama and the action sequences continue to impress.

Probably right behind Kill la Kill in terms of how much enjoyment I'm getting out of the series so far.
I'm glad to see that other people are enjoying it. Some gaffers absolutely tore this show a new one and now those inconsistencies are gonna stay in the back of my mind. Kyo Ani is kinda carrying the show with all the action tbh. They really do need to tone down Mirai's clumsiness. I still like her a bunch though. She awakened a megane fetish in me that I never thought I had. It was blinding before criticism on gaf woke me up. Akihito's mom is also milf of the century thanks to KyoAni animation goodness. Stahp KyoAni pls.

fuuuuuuuu-

Definitely the creepiest track of the year.
Yeah, this is definitely the show's hook. No one sees it coming. It's a shame people can't get past the art because this is one unique show no matter what angle you look from.

I forgot this anime even existed. I don't think I've ever experienced such a lack of interest. This is different from actually dropping the show. That's how boring it was.

ouch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom