• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyoukai no Kanata - 2

This is one of the most frustrating series I've seen this year. I want to like this; I really do. It feels like it has actual potential, but it keeps wasting it with awful writing. They hypothetically could have gone for a looser adaptation, possibly yielding a decent, if not particularly original, series, but they apparently have not (with the exception of changing Mirai's characterization to make her more of a typical moeblob).

It's incredibly frustrating to see something with so much effort put into it end up being bad. I'm watching this mainly for the sakuga and action scenes, and I'm gonna try to hang on as long as I can, but I have a feeling I'm just going to get sick of the series halfway through. Maybe I'll hatewatch it if that happens.

I mean, it's not like I hate it right now; I'm just disappointed.

Tokyo Ravens 1 - Decent first episode here. Since I've read some chapters of the manga it's hard to say much without spoiling stuff that happens a little later in the story, but I'll try... suffice to say that yes, this is more of an action-focused series than romance. Harutora, the main character, is your generic "wants to be normal" guy who has no ambitions and is oblivious to love. He's not the worst such character, but in this episode and later, he is kind of annoying sometimes... such as the end of this episode. I mean, what he said is true, but come on, how can you be so dense? At least the other major characters that have been introduced so far are much better. They're quite stereotypical, but within that they're fine.

But of course, if he wasn't so dense, the plot wouldn't be able to keep going for so long without much progress on the romance front, right? And you can see that even just in this episode. Also, the art in this anime is only average, and the CG (those cars, for instance, and the robot...) is kind of mediocre. Still, I don't mean to be too critical; I did like this episode overall. The story and characters aren't original, but it's a solidly done series anyway, and it's decent enough to watch for a while anyway. It's got some amusing moments, too. :)

Also, poor Harutora, his ambitions to be a forgotten nobody are sure to soon be dashed... and
poor Natsume too...

Unbreakable Machine Doll 1 - A decent start. The art and animation here are even worse than Tokyo Ravens, I think, unfortunately, and so is the CG... not good. The story starts off well, though. The series should have stayed with only a few girls, later on the harem grows and it does nothing good for the plot... though none of the girls will ever get far with Yaya around, of course. This is a alternate history fantasy harem action anime set in the "Early 20th century" in a school in Britain that uses early 21st century Japanese-style school uniforms, naturally. No, in the "early 20th century" no one would possibly have dressed like that. "Early" me make me think "pre-1920", and pre-1920 these kinds of outfits would never have happened. Yes, this irritates me. But even if it IS set in the 1930s or something, those uniforms are way too Japanese... I know British schools use uniforms, but the designs... yeah.

One more complaint -- any train wrecked like that one gets wrecked in this episode would have had people dying in that crash! Those cars were tossed all over... but no, everyone is fine. Yeah, sure. It was a decent way of introducing the main characters and some of what they can do, but that strained credibility there. The plot of the rest of the episode was just okay as well. This episode was decent, but nothing great.

Anyway, the main character, Raishin, in this series can control a magical "living" doll, since this is an alternate-history Earth. He's from Japan, but is in Britain because this is the best school in the world where people can learn to control these fighting dolls. He's good at fighting, but poor at academics... so he's fortunate that this series focuses heavily on action, now isn't he. :p
He's here for vengeance, so he can get the power to defeat whoever it was who attacked his village in Japan.
Yaya is his doll; she may look and act like a person, but she's not, and is extremely strong. She's also in love with Raishin and is a very jealous yandere. So yeah, he meets plenty of other girls in this series... but don't expect them to get far, as I said. Yaya doesn't like competition for Raishin's affections, even though he doesn't return her favors at all. That is to say, it's a setup for a long series with little romantic progress. Her reactions are definitely funny, though... she makes a solid case for the yandere option, I think. Though of course, he'd have a hard time staying alive if he chose anything else, I think. :)

Also in this episode we meet the other major female character, Charlotte, or Char/Charl. Of course IS Char is the best Char, but this one's okay too. She's tsundere, naturally, and is quite a good fighter. I like her dragon summon, he's kind of cool, in both his small form and his big one.

Still though, overall, this was just okay. It could have been better, both visually and in terms of the story. Ah well, it was decent enough to keep watching, at least. We'll see how it ends up overall.

Dresden

yozakura quartet - hana no uta - 01

Not that I'm invested in the series or anything, but the OVAs were fun and this is no different. Rather slow start, but it quickly picks up and ends with some really fun action. Animation is good as expected, stuff you'd expect from the director.

Best girl:

nXkymga.jpg

Miss Monochrome
Holy crap is this show depressing.
First the loli basically steals everything she owns and runs off, then Ru-chan dies D':

Think about the show in relation to the nature of that list.

It has fucking Mars of Destruction in it

Isn't the point "so bad they're entertaining" shows? I know that that's a very subjective question, but that one... where was the "entertaining" part? When Ryu was charging his hadouken for several episodes?

Isn't the point "so bad they're entertaining" shows? I know that that's a very subjective question, but that one... where was the "entertaining" part? When Ryu was charging his hadouken for several episodes?

There's a lot of stuff on the list that is up there cause someone added them and not enough people have watched them to say otherwise.

JCG

There's a lot of stuff on the list that is up there cause someone added them and not enough people have watched them to say otherwise.

One more reason why it seems much easier to get something on the list than off it, regardless of any questions raised.

Imouto Paradise 2: 2

Pink Girl gets the lovin this episode, of course my forgetfulness here made me think she took up both episodes which would've irritated me. And honeslty, I like the blue girl more. Somehow more natural when it comes to sensual activities with your older brother.

No, like the last episode, there was no sakuga lovefests, which makes this inferior to the first one, and I doubt the others will get any screen time either. What a shame. I liked them more.

wonzo

Banned
Kyokai no Kanata 2

kyoukaikanata2.jpg

I don't think I've ever dropped an incredibly amazing looking show like this for such a terrible script before but this may be a first.

gg kyoanus

There's only one thing on that list that really doesn't belong and it's Kuttsukiboshi.

This season is a sports anime fan's wet dream. Ace of The Diamond's first episode was disappointing, but Kuroko, Ippo and Yomaushi Pedal were all great.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Man, I haven't even watched KnK2 but I'm not really motivated to. Found ep 1 boring but I feel one must follow the three episode rule, but honestly the opinions I've glanced over are not filling me with confidence.

And I hardly ever drop a show.

cnet128

Banned
I need to create some sort of fuwa fuwa scale where the units are Yukaris.

This doesn't seem like the most sensible choice of unit, since I can't imagine anything that isn't called Yukari even reaching a value of 1 Yukari. We'd have to start measuring things in microyukaris instead.

Pooya

Coppelion - 2

This show looks like to be in episodic story format, it's all slow and quiet walking through beautiful scenery and with the melodrama in this episode I don't think it appeals to many around here or myself, the main characters are somewhat weird emotionally, intentionally so, I'm sure they'll become more human as story progresses. There's been very very little story after two episodes, next episode sounds to be more significant.

I've been told the story is very much about anti nuclear power messaging (and there are some hints of it already in this episode; meltdown, using solar panels etc) which is kind of lame to me, with current situation in Japan I understand but this manga is from before 2011 and was even halted because of the earthquake. I'm not sure what kind of message it has though so I'm not judging that yet.

With that said, I find it very appealing visually! so rest of this post is purely about the visuals!

the OP is... interesting. Too bad it has ugly grain all over it and the song sucks! it has a cool action scene which makes me excited to see this other new girl! it's many things not sure if good is one of them, it worth checking out

Then we get to backgrounds, I really dig it. They look like some 'old' animes, very detailed 'dirty' look in particular.

though I might dislike filters, in dark scenes it makes for some moody lighting at times.

and like I said earlier, next episode looks interesting...

There are sometimes thick black outlines around the characters, sometimes not. I'm not if there is any logic or stylistic choice behind it yet (it happens only outdoor?!! dunno )or it's just lazy inconsistent work. It looks solid otherwise.

I know there are like two other people who watch it here beside me, and it probably doesn't appeal to many but you might like the visuals. If it wasn't smeared somewhat by the filters I think more people would have checked it out, shame.

omake

i8iEtisA5V9id.gif

Speaking of baseball anime, how is Oofuri? I've been meaning to watch another sports series after finishing Cross Game awhile ago. Major's crazy length is a turn off here.

fertygo

I loved Major. The first OP was amazing. Other than the protag, the other characters weren't that interesting. It was only the first episode and I'm not going to drop it.
Well its only first episode, if we liking the protag already its a good sign!
Speaking of baseball anime, how is Oofuri? I've been meaning to watch another sports series after finishing Cross Game awhile ago. Major's crazy length is a turn off here.

My favorite sport title. SDBurton liking it despite its pretty much in :DTL territory telling a lot!

wonzo

Banned
Gingitsune 1

gingitsune1.jpg

This started off rather nicely with the introduction of Makato and the Herald of the Shrine nameec Gintaro but the central conflict in this episode felt really dumb and certainly knocked off some of the shine of this. Still, I liked it overall so I'll give this show the benefit of the doubt for the next few episodes to see just what it doesn with this rather interesting premise.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you're going to write such a title at least show what the muscly anthropomorphic character looks like.

Taruranto

Started watching Suisei no Gargantia

Anyone have any suggestions for other scifi animes?

Fantastic Children and Terra e....

Speaking of Psycho-Pass, what's with all the hate I've seen for it on here?

Underdeveloped cast, boring first half in which we see the main characters run in circles, predictable twists and pretentious script that thinks its deep for namedropping books and explaining everything to its audience.

Called it.

The question now is, will they re-enact episode 33?

It should actually be scrubbed from the list given that I ran it by a few people, none of whom found it funny in the way that I did.
Watching Yugi-oh S0 is supposed to be fnny ? It's not..it's a mix of drama, DARKNESS, evil crushing mind gaming and bad animation.

I welcome a new season of SAO. Praise our A-1 overlords.
I welcome a new season of SAO , but i certainly do not praise A-1 for what they did with the anime.
Gokudo 1-26 END

What happened when Cajunator decided to do a Slayers-type show that was more like Bastard! but with more Japanese supernaturalism. Insufferable protag, but decent supporting cast. In short, it was watchable enough without ever being good.

Also, most if not all scene transitions featured this bunny girl who does not appear as an actual character:
I don't understand , the main character is a assh*le , but Everyone in the show is too... The second you think something good is happening , the show trully change his setting to bring back the crazyness andmock something else.It's a great fantasy ...it doesn't take itself seriously and that's why it's great IMO.
Gokudo is : "what happens when 4 *ssh*les decide to go on an adventure, in a fantasy setting".
It's awesome.

No. This is definitely not the case. So bad so good would be Valvrave. If I had to put it properly I would say Valvrave isn't good by any standards honestly. There are no redeeming elements of that show that makes me care about it at all. The theme it presents, the events that happen, and the characters do not make me care.

Sword Art Online is different though. While I think the way the episodes were laid out and the events executed were cheesy, poor, and completely unrealistic I think there are redeemable elements in there. I can understand being stuck in a video game that has aspects of real life can make it appear as though your life in the video game is actually real. I can understand that sometimes people get desperate and try to look for things to attach themselves to. I can also understand and believe that, despite the ludicrous romantic background Asuna and Kirito have, their interactions are genuinely sweet for the most part. There are many aspects of SAO that scream out potential and that fascinates me. Even if the show fell flat on its face I enjoyed it because those sparks of interest still exist. With Valvrave, it's just a roller coaster ride of stupidity. That's all it'll be known for. With SAO I can go on and on about why it's neat.

Lol. I'll pay for the medical bill.
I agree 100 % , the execution is not there but the setting is intresting ... Not to mention that the setting is changing each time or the POW , making it intresting to follow.Many people are just stuck with suguha antics when it's just a bad part of the show and it's solved within the same arc... Bring me more SAO i won't be satisfied untill they adapt the best arcs

What is there to recommend about SFII V? I've watched through the whole show, but wouldn't recommend it... it's just so boring, slow, and tedious, it's not really worth it.

I agree ...but some people seems to enjoy the fact that the plot is very very stupid and doesn't make sense

sonicmj1

Kyoukai no Kanata 2

Not too much has changed from the last episode. The fight scene looked excellent, and I like the direction a lot in the more subdued scenes. Mirai's loneliness was shown really well. I liked the scene at the train crossing, for example, or the juxtaposition of the beef bowl with the episode's final revelation. Kyoani is absolutely at the top of their game here in terms of production.

But every conversation outside of solo Mirai/Akihito interaction makes me long for just about anything else. Mitsuki's Senjougahara impression is utterly unconvincing, that male dude has nothing going for him, and Yacchan is the absolute worst. I never want to see her again. I dread every time a character speaks.

Their technical skill allowed them to bring out greatness in Hyouka, but I don't know how anyone can salvage material this poor.

EDIT: Even Mirai has issues. I can't figure out how to reconcile her immediate desire to cut every youmu she sees with her apparent revulsion towards the act of actually slaying them. It's the character-motivation equivalent of her comically-convenient clumsiness.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Actually stuff has been taken off, but sometimes titles get put back in because older versions are easier to find. There are also borderline cases that are marked as such.

It's really more meant to provide suggestions to somebody open to the idea in the first place, rather than a definitive list for any viewer.

wonzo

Banned
Little Busters! ~Refrain~ 1

lbr1.jpg

It's back and this time not even the ~dark and mysterious~ quasi-lesbian is safe from the holy KeyStick™ wielded by none other than Jun Maeda. How fitting that even she'd be afflicted in the season when Maeda's gonna let loose and fling shit in every single direction humanly possible.

The
bullying
aspect of this was just as ridiculously played up as it was deftly brushed aside in the space of a single episode though it looks like her troubles haven't ended there
(and may even lead to some "bonding" with Kiri~)

Still, all of this pales to the one that's truly suffering. I am of course talking about everyones favourite Wafuu and her newfound coke habit to dry and dull the pain of the horrors she experienced in the last season.

lbr1a.jpg

It truly breaks your heart. wafuu~ (╯︵╰,)

Thanks to MC's appearance and voice, when watching Gingitsune all I could think of was Kotoura-san.
That explains quite a bit actually.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't understand , the main character is a assh*le , but Everyone in the show is too... The second you think something good is happening , the show trully change his setting to bring back the crazyness andmock something else.It's a great fantasy ...it doesn't take itself seriously and that's why it's great IMO.
Gokudo is : "what happens when 4 *ssh*les decide to go on an adventure, in a fantasy setting".
It's awesome.
Watching him get trolled was funny, but he needed to be funny on his own more. Rubette and the others did a better job of this.

I agree ...but some people seems to enjoy the fact that the plot is very very stupid and doesn't make sense
If you're watching the English dub, the first third and the final third are pretty amusing in unintended ways, but the middle does slow down by a lot.

After all, a show where Ryu takes a full episode of swinging his arms to do one hadouken can't be taken too seriously. Also, Bison is still choking Chun-Li, and Cammy is still waiting to make that kill.

duckroll

Kyousogiga TV - Episode 1

A pretty nice start to a franchise which seems to be more about tweaking and re-iterating on a base concept rather than continuing an actual narrative. The first episode is pretty much what I expected: an expansion on the backstory which we have seen bits and pieces of in the previous entries.

I have to say, it's not really the most interesting part of the story for me, and I felt that the second series actually did a better job in terms of emotional direction by making the story a music video rather than a story with dialogue. Still, the direction here was pretty strong, and for a TV series I guess the extra exposition and detailing is necessary if they want to develop a deeper overall narrative arc this time round.

Definitely looking forward to the rest of the series though, especially to see how the other supporting characters are fleshed out and their roles and stories expanded on. :)

Momoko's VA actually learned English abroad, so while the lines she's given aren't always the best you can clearly tell she knows what she's doing, most notably the change of accent.

Yeah, it will.

It's kind of funny, how much love the others VAs seems to have for Momoko's VA. In the interview with Doremi's VA in the first ln and the free talk in the drama CD.

Grzi

Log Horizon - 01

Not bad at all. A bit generic, but not in a bad way, it's very reminiscent of a bunch of JRPGs, which is great IMO, a lot of .hack vibes too. The simplistic designs are not that bad and look decent in motion, the music was really good (that surprised me), and I think this could be a fun little show, I'll keep watching.

Too bad we'll never see Tanken Driland fully subbed :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Nichibros 5

A lot of jokes in this one about people not being able to "read the atmosphere" of a situation. And they were great, of course.

Also, the Literary Girl skits will never get old. So good.

Pooya

4:30 until Galiei Donna opening on CR and Valvrave second season
4h until Samurai Flamenco opening on CR
5h until Kill La Kill ep2 on CR
30m until possible new Gargantia announcement

and other stuff

all that anime in your face all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom