• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Kill la Kill - 02

Kanada style to the maxxxxxxxxx
I love how 70's this show are.. And Satsuki is frigging awesome, I think the show gonna hitting the gear when the clash between her and Ryuko begin.

Galilei Donna - 1
Wow, that was pretty awesome! It set up the dynamic between the three sisters and their individual quirks well. The first episode looked slick visually for the most part, despite a few discrepancies here and there. Hell, the CG ships looked better than I was expecting. It balanced the more thrilling moments and the slower beats establishing the situation at hand nicely. The only thing I wasn't particularly fond of was that effect where the shot goes out of focus briefly during some more of the kinetic moments. It came off as more distracting than anything, so I hope it gets toned down. Other than that, I really dug it all around.

Articalys

Kill la Kill ep.2

And that was... huh. Very, very over-the-top in pretty much every way possible. Maybe a bit too much.

Now to go back and actually read the thread after that 1.5 hour anime block!

I have to apologize about saying Kaiji was supposed to be all about gambling and going off track in the show, it turns out I was reading the summary for the wrong show before watching it. I was looking at a show's summary called Akagi, not Kaiji.

Akagi is the show about some really good gambler, and is all about gambling. Kaiji is all about a guy taking risks to get money, with some gambling on the side.

I can see how I screwed up. The 2 shows looked almost identical to each other (by the same manga author too).
ib1ssg0bGY5dp0.jpg

Kurita

I have to apologize about saying Kaiji was supposed to be all about gambling and going off track in the show, it turns out I was reading the summary for the wrong show before watching it. I was looking at a show's summary called Akagi, not Kaiji.

Akagi is the show about some really good gambler, and is all about gambling. Kaiji is all about a guy taking risks to get money, with some gambling on the side.

I can see how I screwed up. The 2 shows looked almost identical to each other.
ib1ssg0bGY5dp0.jpg

To be fair, both manga/anime are by the same author :p

Silky

Banned
...It's quirky, I'll give it that. I wasn't expecting a huge focus on a lot of sentai/kamen rider esque action in the beginning, so I'm satisfied with the opening. It's a bad intro, but hopefully it'll pick up soon.

Yo, if you're posting Kill La Kill impressions, consider putting them in its OT as well. For a series that has a lot of hype behind it, we aren't generating enough hype in its OT (that and it's a torrent of posts when we do post about it.)

duckroll

Samurai Flamenco - Episode 1

H26rrTt.jpg
0eDpHAe.jpg

0CdhXYm.jpg
AUheVAH.jpg

These screens are a bunch of lies. :)

I really enjoyed this. It thing it's a really strong start to a show which probably doesn't have a very wide audience. It's not an action series, the art isn't really great, the colors and art direction are pretty poor, but it does have a very snappy script with nice dialogue banter between two leads, and the direction is pretty good. It's very much in the vein of what you might find in a TV drama instead of an anime though.

The themes the series tackles are pretty appealing to me - the concept of justice, working young adults who feel disappointed and put off by how boring society in the real world can be, slipping standards of common courtesy in society, etc - all filtered through the idealistic desire of one man to be more than what society tells him he can be. Is his dream stupid? Certainly, but is it a boring premise? Not at all.

I guess the backlash is a natural consequence of there being too much secrecy over what the series is really about, causing people to have really unusual expectations for what the show is. Considering the director and the premise they put up on the site, it seemed pretty obvious to me that it wasn't going to be a "real" superhero show though.

---

Galilei Donna - Episode 1

Okz69gk.jpg
sCi1ZIL.jpg

DIbxPhL.jpg
bVI84qU.jpg

I think someone has a goldfish fetish...

This is definitely a more mainstream show as far as anime audiences go. There are cute girls, secret technology, various factions with giant mecha ships fighting each other, wacky comedy, and tons of action and explosions. It was a pretty solid start too, with good production values, really nice art direction, etc.

I just wish Umetsu wasn't such a pervert, or rather, I wish I didn't know he was such a pervert from his previous works. It makes certain scenes which would otherwise be rather innocent action scenes of organization grunts trying to capture the girls, more difficult to watch knowing that the director probably has a personal fetish for making the scenes more up close and personal.

On the whole the episode was pretty safe, but exciting enough to get people interested in what could happen next. On its own, it was pretty entertaining too, with well directed action and lots of bright colors.

Jarmel

Banned
Kyousogiga 1-

This somehow makes even less sense due to the ending. Most of this is fine but Koto shows up with the brothers even though in the 4th OVA, she was going to create them in the first place.

Valvrave 13

It's baaaaaack!

Not too much bat shit happened, action was great as always and this episode felt like a good reset point to calm things down before shit hits the fan again. The new OP is bad ass and shows that
Drossia is going to get their own version of the Valvrave to fight the main cast

Jex

Kyousogiga 1-

This somehow makes even less sense due to the ending. Most of this is fine but Koto shows up with the brothers even though in the 4th OVA, she was going to create them in the first place.

The earlier OVA's aren't arranged in chronological order. I think it's pretty clear that this is the beginning of the story.

cajunator

Banned
Samurai Flamenco - Episode 1

I really enjoyed this. It thing it's a really strong start to a show which probably doesn't have a very wide audience. It's not an action series, the art isn't really great, the colors and art direction are pretty poor, but it does have a very snappy script with nice dialogue banter between two leads, and the direction is pretty good. It's very much in the vein of what you might find in a TV drama instead of an anime though.

The themes the series tackles are pretty appealing to me - the concept of justice, working young adults who feel disappointed and put off by how boring society in the real world can be, slipping standards of common courtesy in society, etc - all filtered through the idealistic desire of one man to be more than what society tells him he can be. Is his dream stupid? Certainly, but is it a boring premise? Not at all.

I guess the backlash is a natural consequence of there being too much secrecy over what the series is really about, causing people to have really unusual expectations for what the show is. Considering the director and the premise they put up on the site, it seemed pretty obvious to me that it wasn't going to be a "real" superhero show though.

---

Galilei Donna - Episode 1

This is definitely a more mainstream show as far as anime audiences go. There are cute girls, secret technology, various factions with giant mecha ships fighting each other, wacky comedy, and tons of action and explosions. It was a pretty solid start too, with good production values, really nice art direction, etc.

I just wish Umetsu wasn't such a pervert, or rather, I wish I didn't know he was such a pervert from his previous works. It makes certain scenes which would otherwise be rather innocent action scenes of organization grunts trying to capture the girls, more difficult to watch knowing that the director probably has a personal fetish for making the scenes more up close and personal.

On the whole the episode was pretty safe, but exciting enough to get people interested in what could happen next. On its own, it was pretty entertaining too, with well directed action and lots of bright colors.

Maybe its a goldfish warning.

Kurita

Dunno why I'm so hyped for the next Diamond no Ace episode, I know what's going to happen in the several next episodes. And yet here I am...

Dresden

samurai flamenco - 01

I guess most vigilante stories are going to play out like this, which is fine; the setup builds on the mundane with more mundane, and there's a very grounded feel to the presentation, even if some of that - or perhaps most - may just be due to poor work on the production side. Nothing remarkable, but I'll keep watching. I like Sugita as the straight man in this duo.

Silky

Banned
samurai flamenco - 01

I guess most vigilante stories are going to play out like this, which is fine; the setup builds on the mundane with more mundane, and there's a very grounded feel to the presentation, even if some of that - or perhaps most - may just be due to poor work on the production side. Nothing remarkable, but I'll keep watching. I like Sugita as the straight man in this duo.

I knew I heard Joseph in that show!

LordCanti

Galileo Donna 01

"Honey, we need to have a serious talk about why you built a death machine in the basement and AA weapons into your scooter. This behavior is why you're getting kidnapped."

Hyouka 6

I could watch Oreki spin his pencil all day.

Hyouka 8-11

What I really like about this film arc, besides all the character development for Oreki and company, is its examination of mystery fiction. As a fan of the genre, I'm interested in opinions about the proper construction of mystery plots and what the relationship between the author, the audience, and the narrative should be. Oreki and Chitanda exhibit two contrasting approaches to mystery - Oreki comes at it from the purely mechanical level, of the construction of a clever but fair trick that tries to fool the audience, whereas Chitanda comes at it from the personal level, of trying to understand the heart of the characters and the author, the feeling that motivated their actions. It's the difference between John Dickson Carr and later Dorothy Sayers.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kill la Kill Episode 2:

Well, this show is going mostly all-in on the manic energy, though I noticed it slowed down when it was time to focus on Satsuki and her machinations to conquer Northern Japan. The biggest addition to the show is Mako's family and, as expected, they are all about as insane as she is and clearly there for more comic relief. Quick question, how many people out there are already shipping Maxo X Ryūko? About the only other time a breath is taken is when we get more backstory on the uniform from expounded by the Samurai Flamenco reject. To its credit Kill La Kill has found a way to make Tennis entertaining and watchable. Indeed, we have a sorting algorithm of evil as there is no telling how many club flunkies Satsuki is going to throw at Ryūko before she earns her shot at the four devas. I did like the fact that Satsuki was perfectly willing to throw down and show her power and skill. Next week looks like to promise us more revelations
as we learn Satsuki wears a special uniform of her own.
Anyway, another good episode, but yea, I can see how this is going to tire out a lot of people.

I think duckroll's comments on Samurai Flamenco is why I actually enjoyed the episode despite the amount of secracy about it.

Kill La Kill 2

And it continues with lewd, over the top action, mixed in with limited animation and cuts which really gives it personality, and I was actually laughing my ass off as it goes on.

THERE WAS CAT SEX IN THIS EPISODE! ACTUAL CAT FUCKING (in the background) ! It literally has no shame in its lewdness, even with a showmanship of Matoi the StretchTits. There was some more information provided based on the design of the Goku Uniforms, more about how the uniforms dictate the class of a person (I think this was covered in the first episode).

Holy shit that teacher though. I felt so fabulous during that, and it's even more lewd considering the circumstances in that scene.

cajunator

Banned
I think duckroll's comments on Samurai Flamenco is why I actually enjoyed the episode despite the amount of secracy about it.

Kill La Kill 2

And it continues with lewd, over the top action, mixed in with limited animation and cuts which really gives it personality, and I was actually laughing my ass off as it goes on.

THERE WAS CAT SEX IN THIS EPISODE! ACTUAL CAT FUCKING (in the background) ! It literally has no shame in its lewdness, even with a showmanship of Matoi the StretchTits. There was some more information provided based on the design of the Goku Uniforms, more about how the uniforms dictate the class of a person (I think this was covered in the first episode).

Holy shit that teacher though. I felt so fabulous during that, and it's even more lewd considering the circumstances in that scene.

KLK is everything right (and so very wrong) about classic Gainax. I really missed this kind of anime.

Jex

The issue is that she's already with Myoue when she seemingly first gets her brothers.

Right, but in the 4th OVA she just mentions that she's going to pick up her brothers, not that she was about to create them. They had already been created, they just weren't with her at the time.

The issue is that she's already with Myoue when she seemingly first gets her brothers.

If you pay attention, the two brothers can be seen briefly when the priests in the shrine are discussing Myou's situation, before he leaves to the Mirror Capital. So they must have existed long before Koto.

Galilei Donna 1:
That was a pretty good first episode. I was really impressed with the scenery in the episode. The surroundings of the characters looked great, and you were able to learn a lot about the architecture, technological level, and status of the surroundings without the need to draw excessive attention to it. That's something that really caught my eye during the early scenes with Hozuki on the run. There was some pretty good dialogue, too, especially with several of the scenes between the sisters, and there's some good setup for a story and some mystery here.

I was less impressed with how some of the action scenes in the latter part of the episode looked. There wasn't much of a sense of weight behind the action, and it all looked pretty dull (thankfully it made up a pretty small portion of the episode). Aside from that, I thought the episode was very interesting from both a visual perspective as well as a story perspective.

Tenumi

Banned
Well, after an endless string of OVAs and OADs, apparently we're finally going to get that second season of Seitokai Yakuindomo.

Heck yes! Best news in a while.

This is awesome

Ok, now I'm going to have to check out this series...

But for now...

Galilei Donna: 01

I'll be honest, it really didn't impress me at all at the beginning, but as the episode went on, my opinion improved. I'll give it at least it's 3 episodes.

CorvoSol

So many shows to watch and here i am still at school, waiting for a study group I hope doesn't show up so I can go home and relax for a bit

Jarmel

Banned
If you pay attention, the two brothers can be seen briefly when the priests in the shrine are discussing Myou's situation, before he leaves to the Mirror Capital. So they must have existed long before Koto.

I'm assuming that's a different pair but if it's the same pair, then what about the scene in the 4th OVA?

Edit:
Right, but in the 4th OVA she just mentions that she's going to pick up her brothers, not that she was about to create them. They had already been created, they just weren't with her at the time.

So they just weren't named? Ok, I guess.

Galilei Donna 1

I missed the memo about this being a mecha series, but there it is in the opening few seconds of the show. This was one of my iffy shows going into the season and I'm more then impressed with it. Art and animation is beautiful and the characters seem entertaining enough to keep on watching.

Kill la Kill - 2
The pacing was more tolerable this time around. Don't get me wrong, it's still fast but much more easy to follow. The introduction to Mako's family even seemed self-aware about the chaotic pacing during the dinner scene when it showed Ryuko's stunned expression coupled with that specific Sawano track. Speaking of which, the comedy really worked for me this episode as well. I loved all of the gags with Mako and the fabulous teacher. Good stuff.

e_i

So Gargantia on the Midriff Planet is getting a sequel? What would the plot of this one be? War between the people?

Borrowing from the PokeLeaks thread.

The new opening for the Pokemon X and Y anime is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zH6ZF9Wt6M

Looks like Chespin just got saved from ever having to evolve.

Pleasantly surprised at the choice of song for the OP.

Ash gets the boring frog and the region bird as usual, zzzz.

Well, after an endless string of OVAs and OADs, apparently we're finally going to get that second season of Seitokai Yakuindomo.

That's surprising. I thought they'll do OVAs till the end of time.

Samurai Flamenco 1

This is so far my biggest disappointment this season. BUT plenty of shows have recovered after a lackluster episode 1. I'm willing to give the show another 2 episodes to hopefully turn into what I thought it would be.

As of right now seeing such a weakling main character is a huge turn off, especially after that intro. If this is gonna be one of those delusion stories where he never achieves the greatness he wants (aka Kick-Ass), then no thanks. Come on Durarara/Baccano guy don't fail me.

Also as much as I love Gintoki's voice actor his voice should be kept strictly for ultra comedy shows.

But then we wouldn't have had Chamber. Or his excellent performance as Joseph Joestar. Or, going back several years, Kyon.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nagi no Asukara Episode 2:
Fish Knee aside, this may be the dullest anime of the season, dropped like a bad habit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom