• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Kill la Kill 02

Man, I'm getting more and more split on this show. On the one hand, the style is undeniable. Great action. The tennis match fight was way more exciting than the boxing match last week. I also really like the over the top nature of the fascist themes. I think there's a genuinely interesting world at work here.

On the other hand, the humor in this episode managed to get even worse. The ADD and perverted jokes didn't make me crack a smile. The only thing I thought was funny the entire episode was when the tennis girl got smacked in the face. Everything else was a miserable flop. The show really needs to tone it down, especially with the pervert jokes. Mako continues to be a worthless trope. The one thing I'll give them is that they didn't turn Sanketsu into a perverted character. Given the nature of him, it would have been really easy/boring to do that.

So, yeah. Overall, not sure how to feel about this show. Great world, great style, some interesting overarching story going on ultimately undermined by an over reliance on sex and a terrible sense of humor. I'll keep watching, but if it keeps up like this the chances of it living up to it's anime of the year hype are slim to none.

Kill La Kill - 2

That is one lewd OP.

The hilarity in this episode aside (don't get me wrong, it was absolutely amazing), I am really interested in seeing Satsuki's backstory. She really gives off a good Lordgenome vibe. Though judging by the preview for episode 3, we might get a bit of an insight into her backstory sooner than I expected. Not a problem, as I can't wait to learn more about the setting of this show.

Dresden

his chest

is a face

your arguments

are invalidated

zatOMXJ.jpg

Hattori

Banned
Kill la Kill
Episode 2

Haha that was so ecchi and funny in a very old school way, I love it. Satsuki is badass hope to see her character get more fleshed out.

yami4ct

his chest

is a face

your arguments

are invalidated

I take some of my criticism back. There were two moments in the episode that made me laugh. The tennis girl getting her face pounded in by the tennis ball and the whole sexed up homeroom teacher scene.

Galilei Donna 1

This is a sexy show. Good designs, art and animation, with minimally intrusive CG. I like the writing and despite the humour being wacky, it didn't feel out of place. We are dealing with european sky pirates from the future after all. That's probably why the thriller angle of this episode caught me off guard. There's more tension than I had anticipated, but I think it kept things exciting in between the quieter moments.

The limited interaction between the sisters made them feel kind of apathetic about one another. I look forward to seeing how their relationship works once they begin to adventure. It'll also be interesting to see what the older sisters bring to the table, since the first episode ends up really showcasing the youngest sisters ridiculous level of ability. Hopefully the family situation is played well and doesn't bog the show down, but I'm a fan so far.

Main staff for Nobunagun:

Director: Nobuhiro Kondo (Valkyria Chronicles 3 OVA, Kekko Kamen)
Series Composition: Hiroshi Yamaguchi (Gingitsune, Argento Soma)
Character Design: KAZZ T, Hiromi Matsushita
Mechanical Design: Kenichi Takase, Hirofumi Nakata
Animation Production: Bridge

My reaction to these names is "Who?", so we'll see how this goes!

I actually forgot about this show. Thanks for the reminder.

fertygo

Samurai Flamenco - 01

I guess people already forgetting what noitaminA anime used to looked from the complain that this show had, one comment even saying the same old "RIP noitaminA" regarding this show.

Now that post totally looked silly to me, because this show have spirit that "old" noitaminA used to have.. This kind of show that made many of us saying "Man.. I miss the old noitaminA" when this channel producing more otaku-directed show, instead show that feel more like TV Show than anime, but that what make it unique experience.. Like old noitaminA have, like this show have.

Its not the greatest premiere, but mannnnnnnnn... this is noitaminA show that I used to love! The old noitaminA.

Syrinx

Kill la Kill 2

Man, Mako's family is just as crazy as she is. Got a laugh when her back-alley-doctor father said "the dead ones don't sue you". And how Mako almost seemed proud that her father butchers his patients more than he cures them. Would like for this show to continue to delve into the contrast between the upper society where the higher-ups reside and life in the slums like it was illustrated a bit here.

Not too much new information on the uniform. Well except for
it being created by Ryuko's father.
The flashback to her talking to it the first time definitely hints that we'll get more backstory on the thing.

Tennis fight was fucking amazing. Girl's face when Ryuko pelted that ball in her face was classic. Also Ryuko using the handle of her blade as the racket and actually wielding the sword by the blade! Shit! And the ending was great as well; it's exactly how you'd think this show would end a contest like that and it's perfect.

Lady Satsuki is intriguing. Can't wait for her inevitable battle with Ryuko.

This season is a sports anime fan's wet dream.
Dont you mean last season?

Dunno why I'm so hyped for the next Diamond no Ace episode, I know what's going to happen in the several next episodes. And yet here I am...

I hope its of good length so we get a serious game (or tourney even) animated, episode one and all that happened gives me the impression that it is slightly slower pace than other series.

GJS

If you pay attention, the two brothers can be seen briefly when the priests in the shrine are discussing Myou's situation, before he leaves to the Mirror Capital. So they must have existed long before Koto.

The only familiar I see is the black one the head priest uses to send the message.

With all the masks, head priest etc, those guys are probably an early formation of jinja/shrine. The building is even labelled as that.

The head priest is also wearing the same fox mask that inari
(myoue after leaving mirror kyoto )
and female inari
(Future/alternate koto)
wear, and the black familiar is the same as the familiar these inari's have. The head priest in this ep is also probably the person inari and koto report to in the 1st ep of the 2nd OVA when koto is being punished for fighting, the voice sounds the same to me. So the fox mask and familiars were passed on somehow, fitting with the "bearer of the fox mask" that was mentioned before.

Of note with A and Un's creation. They are shown as much smaller familiars when koto was younger and in the first ep of the 2nd OVAs and are a different colour obviously to the black and white ones.

Kill La Kill 2

First few minutes of the episode didn't do too much for me, went by a bit too fast for my liking. Every part after and including that sexy specimen of a sensei was great though, that tennis match was incredible and lots of great leg and midriff shots, so goooooood. Now that introductions to the supporting cast are done AFAIK, I hope next week's episode has a better first half.

CorvoSol

Awright, time to watch some animu. First up is Shitory Gundam, so I'll just post my preemptive review of that now, and save actual rage for the Gundam thread:

Shitory Fuckdamn 37

SHIT. FUCK. DAMN. ASS. BASTARD. BITCH. WHORE. PISSANTS. ASS HATS. FUCK USO. SOMEONE PLEASE KILL KARLMAN AND KATEJINA AND SHAKTI.

Marbet lookin' fine.

CorvoSol

Wait, you're going to rampage straight through the "list"?

You are one courageous and reckless soul.

I've already seen a bunch of stuff on it. I might as well just finish the thing off. Besides, nothing on there will make me as angry as any of the shitty Gundam shows I've had to watch lately.

cnet128

Banned
NouCome 1

DAMMIT. Why do the shows I want to be eminently droppable keep entertaining me?! The girls aren't even cute in this! But the concept alone is just so effective that it manages to keep me interested. It's fun when you don't know what stupid thing the MC will be forced to do next.

If this show stops bringing the amusing random choices at every turn, I will drop it in an instant. But for the moment, the random-choice antics are entertaining me, so I must place this tentatively in my "continue watching" list.

Jex

[Crunchyroll] - 13

vvv13azupt.png

Valvrave is back and it's pretty much exactly how you remembered it. Picking up pretty much from where we left off last time stuff happens and then, more stuff happens and then some other things happen. As always with this series I spend a fair amount of time going "What the hell is happening" and the rest of the time I spend marveling at how surprisingly competent the series is at storytelling. I'm genuinely satisfied with how things have turned out and look forward to seeing how it progresses!

So yeah, it's still pretty good.

Jarmel

Banned
Kill la Kill 2-

Duckroll described this as a stupid show and he's absolutely correct. This feels much more like a successor to PS&G than anything TTGL related. There is no sense of atmosphere and mostly just shit happening.

There was a lot of Inferno Cop level animation and Sawano is proving to be just as bad a fit as I thought. There were a couple of songs that really stuck out in a bad way this episode.

CorvoSol

I can't decide if time has worn away the stings of AGE and 00 or if Victory really is the single worst Gundam show ever made. I hate it so much. I can barely force myself through an episode, even by skipping through it. The show's music is amazing, but fucking Japanese Uso is screaming even when he isn't. The fights are animated well enough, I suppose, but the Zanscare MS designs are so fucking retarded I find it hard to care. OH NO A HELICOPTER AND A TIRE AND A MOTORCYCLE.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, aside from the seeming vaporware that is Pupa, I believe this is last day of premieres, so let me tally up the watch list right now, this will be adjust after the 4 episode cut off point.

Coppelion
Kyoukai no Kanata
Kill La Kill
Yuusha ni Narenakatta
Log Horizon
Ace of Diamond
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta
Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!
Walkure Romanze
Gingitsune
Gundam Build Fighters
Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova
Tokyo Ravens
Noucome
Galilei Donna
Koroshiya-san: The Hired Gun (Pending)

16 titles for the season, I suspect this list will be parsed down in the next few weeks.

CorvoSol

Oh boy guys another anime thread on the OT!

Nothing new for Corvo. Going through the entire list seems like the kind of thing which will be perfect for him.

I'm like those dudes in the middle ages who tried to purge their sins with pain. Except instead of like, a whip or whatever, I use bad anime.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Valvrave 13

Oh hey. They finally explained some shit. DTL is going to flip shit after seeing this episode. I don't think he'll be able to make it back alive.

InuYasha 81

InuYasha and Sesshomaru just rocked Naraku's world, fantastic battle. Also seeing the look on InuYasha and Kagome's face when Rin walked off with Sesshomaru was very entertaining.

duckroll

Wow, it's Yamaguchi. He's the creator of Gatekeepers! I remember when he used to write for a bunch of Gonzo stuff. Brings back memories. Not necessarily good memories, but memories none of the less! :)

Branduil

Beyond the Boundary 2

iMR7lPA7KMZdN.jpg

I watched KyoAni's new show and all I got was 1000 yen. Wait, I didn't even get that.

Yeah, so this was rather dreadful, writing-wise. I don't know how much longer the KyoAni polish will be able to keep me from dropping this turd.

InuYasha 81

InuYasha and Sesshomaru just rocked Naraku's world, fantastic battle. Also seeing the look on InuYasha and Kagome's face when Rin walked off with Sesshomaru was very entertaining.

The reaction of other people to the Rin/Sesshoumaru stuff was definitely great. Especially given how they hadn't seen any side of him like that.

Midonin

Chronicles of the Going Home Club
Such as Seals

I really could've done without the delays. I had no idea what was going on on NTV's end, but now that all 12 episodes are there, it's going to be a moot point for anyone who chooses to watch the series from this point on. One of the last one cours to finish up from the summer, and also one of my favorites, a must see show just below Neptunia, likely on par with Kin-iro Mosiac, though for its own wonderful reasons.

I'm always curious when a show is filled with newbie voice actresses. In this case, other than a few lines by Sachika Misawa and Ibuki Kido in the lead role, I had no familiar voices to latch onto. While this decreases my potential for jokes by a fair bit, it means I have to take the characters on their own merit, not colored by any past roles or habits of their actors. A show's mood can also make me forget who's playing who, but that's another topic for another day.

For starters, I must congratulate Mao Ichimichi for her fine performance as the seal. I know SeraphisCain was on the fence when I mentioned there being a cute mascot, but the seal turned out to be very Ume from HidaSketch-like. I would've loved the thing for its interjections even if it wasn't voiced by Gokai Yellow, but I have to admit that's a nice bonus.

A lot of the show's humor did rely on Natsuki retorting everybody, but as the show went on, that wasn't the only thing it relied on. Any comedy takes a few episodes to establish its stable of running gags before variations, repetitions and personalities are there and can be messed with. There were even segments like the Four Kings that didn't involve Natsuki at all. And then there are things that relied on her, but not entirely on her comebacks, like the nearly episode long shiritori game, which was incredible.

From the choice of OP singer to the network, it's clear it was trying to catch a similar audience as GJ Bu. However, the tendency towards metahumor (on a level comparable to Nyarko or first season Hayate which is, once again, my favorite of its four) means it can also be seen as closer to SeiZon with less drama. Whatever it is, it built up its own identity very quickly. The gag about Karin being the only one to know what episode it actually was was wonderful, and the show knew how to hold off on jokes for long enough to make them returning (such as the early ED theme in the final episode) feel welcome back.

The conversational humor had a nice mix between puns, observational humor and character gags, and the translators at CR made all of them work in English perfectly. Some of them didn't even require that. The Bear Kings gag was the hardest I've laughed at an anime in a long time. Even other little quirks like the use of live photography or the random animal facts gave the show enough off-beatness that it feels new, even as it works with familiar archetypes.

And a lot of this credit goes to the writer of the original manga - I only now realized why Lloyd's name is a joke. Andou Lloyd. That is so obvious it flew right over my head. Everyone else's names, while acknowledged, were no less hilarious. Japanese humor can be a bit of an acquired taste, but it takes a fair bit of localization between languages and the right mix of performance and animation to carry off, and did this show carry it off.

The animation in the Chibi Theater segments was also cartoony enough to be endearing instead of creepy (I still have a problem with poorly rendered CGI humans), and often made great supplements to the episode.

The opening theme was catchy and mood-boosting, and each of the various EDs was nice, especially how each of them was introduced with a knowing wink at the audience. I can tell whoever worked on this show had a lot of fun, and also took a lot of pot shots at themselves.

Final Thoughts: One of my top shows of the summer. A fantastic sense of humor with a lovable, quirky, but not acquired taste quirky set of characters, coupled with a dedication to metahumor and LukaSeal. I just didn't want it to extend into October.

fertygo

Kill la Kill 2-

Duckroll described this as a stupid show and he's absolutely correct. This feels much more like a successor to PS&G than anything TTGL related. There is no sense of atmosphere and mostly just shit happening.

There was a lot of Inferno Cop level animation and Sawano is proving to be just as bad a fit as I thought. There were a couple of songs that really stuck out in a bad way this episode.

Saying its doesn't have sense of atmosphere a bit much.. Show feel a lot like 70's anime atmosphere, rough but genuine.. even the lack of animation feel like crafted into that.

For me KLK feel like mish mash of Go Nagai stuff for the bizarreness (and pervert), Bakabon and other old family show for sense of nostalgia, and stuff like Utena that introduce many familiar trope for modern title. Creating bridge between modern and older anime age.

I think they want create something that make you want check the old stuff, Dezaki stuff, Kanada stuff,Nagai stuff and those older anime again.

cnet128

Banned
Coppelion 2

Drama drama drama drama drama drama drama drama.

This show certainly likes its drama.

I kind of like its drama too.

(This episode contained a loli suffering from
three parental deaths
. Now that's what I call going the extra mile.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom