• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HXnNc66.png

Bite the Pillow Onii-chan. I'm going in raw.

Branduil

Galilei Donna 1

The strongest first episode of the season, so far. Sharp direction, effective editing, visually competent in all areas(except for the ugly CGI, sigh), and an intriguing enough premise, with some amusing characters. The storyboarding is confident and constantly interesting, with smart use of the depth of the frame, including photographic effects like depth of field.

Unlike a lot of the shows this season, the pacing was just right, spending sufficient time to let scenes breathe despite introducing a large cast with a lot of events occurring at once. The characters are all amusingly quirky, but there's reason to think they won't all just be one-note stereotypes. Although, no one ever got rich betting on anime writing.

Overall rating: fun things are fun.

T7ZnGfa.png

Episode 2 - It Means Kill The Prey

The OP to this is kinda underwhelming... I mean, we're all going to draw endless comparisons to Gurren Lagann, but here you've got the KLK sorta generic OP vs TTGL's Sorairo Days.
8icV235.png

Oh hey,
this show apparently takes place in post-apocalyptic (or something) Japan. I really was not expecting that. Feel kinda stupid for not expecting it. hehe
LOL what the eff, there is a random dog/cat just humping on a rooftop. What is this, GTAV?
uUGhbnE.png

avatar-sized mako for whoever wants it
dQBInAQ.png

Satsuki's black katana looks epic as heck. I can't wait till they have a true battle. Also, it doesn't look like Ryuuko's going to have a suit upgrade for a while... at least at the rate she's gathering fibers or whatever.

I promise my next post won't be so image-laden

Tokyo Ravens Episode 1 SHAMAN CLAN -Promise-
tumblr_mufzq5LuYJ1rip19bo9_500.jpg
tumblr_mufzq5LuYJ1rip19bo10_500.jpg

Good strong start and nice pick up by Funimation. Touji and Harutora are excellent leads already with interesting motivations and aspirations. With this magical world getting a bit to hitting closer to home, will be interested how they deal with it and if they can too use powerful magics like that.

OP is really good, I needed the full song JPN.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Russia from IS is just the girl from Bento Box.
She's BETTER than that girl. Russia is pure troll.

You can try to catch lightning in a bottle twice, but it rarely works out just as well the second time as it did the first... but it could have been a lot worse, at least.
I'm not a staff whore, so I have no idea if it's a new director or anything, but season 1 was perfect. Something happened with the two years that they took off because of the rights issues.

Defuser

Valvrave Season 2 ep 1

E2TvoRq.png

The comedy action trainwreck has return and it's bringing more mystery shit coming out of Ichiro Okouchi's ass.

As usual T.M.Revolution x Mizuki Nana's OP song is awesome as usual.

Nafe

Congratulations to JCG for becoming a full member.

---

I'm going to watch the first episode of Kamen Rider Gaim tonight, and then something like this can never hurt me again.

What did you think of it? I thought it was so-so. I think my favorite part was the fight near the end and how he was kind of figuring out how things worked during the fight. It even seemed to have that PreCure jumping really high during your first battle thing, although obviously not as high though.

Those image responses would work even better if you returned to your previous Irisu avatar! :p

Haha, true. I'll probably go back to that at some point.
You can still refer to me as "Empress" if you want though, haha. ;)

Say it with me: "Yamato Takeru no Mikoto"

The Mystical Laws and, "I'm Konohana-no-Sakuya-Bime.", reminded me of this.

It should actually be scrubbed from the list given that I ran it by a few people, none of whom found it funny in the way that I did.

I still have to get back to watching the second half but I think we were thinking along similar lines in what we liked/found funny about Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 0.

AKB0048 Second Stage 1-13 END

This was only disappointing when you consider how much more Kawamori it could have been, but otherwise it went along as much as one could expect. Props for the
Night on the Galactic Railroad
reference.

Yeah, I felt similarly in that it actually could have been crazier. Some of the end developments felt more or less fairly obvious as well as you say. I still wouldn't mind a third seaso though. Keep that Rainbow Train going!

I think the show left some things open though if I recall. There really wasn't any answers to
who shot Chieri's father for example, was there?
Unless I've just forgotten.

It's actually kind of funny/scary to think that the elections are probably even more melodramatic in reality. Did AnimeGaf get together and watch them this year? I don't recall seeing that.

Gazoinks

The second part about an old dude trying to make ends meet was super depressing.

Oh yeah, that was one of more out-of-nowhere segments. I like that they occasionally throw out these bits that seem almost kind of maybe earnest though, it throws you for a loop with the nature of the show.

FUCK

Gundam Build Fighters 1

Was gonna watch it when it came out, but was waiting for something else to be ready for viewing which it wasn't.

Soundtrack is rather funky, and the main character is a dork with a bro at the end, but I love how the fight went about. Fuck yeah close combat!

CorvoSol

Oh yeah, that was one of more out-of-nowhere segments. I like that they occasionally throw out these bits that seem almost kind of maybe earnest though, it throws you for a loop with the nature of the show.

I think the best part was how visually speaking, Panty and Stocking did not change at all. Like even to the fanservicey pole dance versions from the first episode.

golden times 2

not sure why but i'm really digging this show. sure its just your typical school life crap, but college setting helps and them parties with crazy girls i can relate to.

also the art is quite pleasant in a generic pleasant way.

ibwvpmrvkdLk4k.gif

Mik317

KLK 2

Show is still awesome. Very Very Stupid but awesome. WTF is up with the teacher? It's like they saw the criticism of the suit and said here..eat this. This show goes 120% at all times. Really enjoying this.

Gallieo Galliei 1

You know how some can't get into KLK because of the fanservice? This show is giving me the same thing...except with Lolis. I probably will never get past the main lead. At least She isn't a complete Moe Blob so there is that. Lawyer Sis is pretty awesome too. Other than that....no clue wtf is going on..but it's pretty. I probably will stick around to see wtf the actual plot is tho...but dat loli man.

Samurai Flamenco 1

I didn't know what to expect but that wasn't it. It wasn't bad tho. I liked the speech at the end. Because of my ADHD, I don't know if it will keep my attention week to week but I enjoyed watching it at least. This by the Baccano/Durarara guy right? so maybe there is a twist or something. Also Based Sugita is based.

Gazoinks

I think the best part was how visually speaking, Panty and Stocking did not change at all. Like even to the fanservicey pole dance versions from the first episode.

Panty & Stocking Episode 5 spoilers maybe? Tagged just to be safe.

Yeah, I found that episode to have this weird sort of anticipation. It starts and you're like "What the heck?! What show is this?!" and it goes on and it's just depressing and then Panty & Stocking get mentioned! And then they finally show up... and they're exactly the same as normal even though they don't fit in with the art shift. It almost feels like how the rest of the world views P&S, compared to how they view themselves, but that doesn't actually make sense since the rest of the world seems to love them in the rest of the show. It's like they simultaneously deconstructed their own show, made a parody of jdramas, made a jdrama played straight, and made a story about vomit monsters at the same time.

RIP Gainax, you crazy bastards.

Two things

1. What the FUCK is up with that PUPA preview. When I first read the synopsis I would not have guessed it was a cannibalistic incest story. Speaking of such, what's Japan's fascination with incest?

2. I've seen enough people in this thread with Kamina glasses that I'm jelly.

jman2050

Damnit Shana's combo breaker in that fighting game is her yelling "URUSAI URUSAI URUSAI". Go figure.

*Throws money at screen*

jgminto

Gallieo Galliei 1

You know how some can't get into KLK because of the fanservice? This show is giving me the same thing...except with Lolis. I probably will never get past the main lead. At least She isn't a complete Moe Blob so there is that. Lawyer Sis is pretty awesome too. Other than that....no clue wtf is going on..but it's pretty. I probably will stick around to see wtf the actual plot is tho...but dat loli man.

But there wasn't really any fanservice of her was there? She's just supposed to be a kid.

Mik317

But there wasn't really any fanservice of her was there? She's just supposed to be a kid.

As long as she doesn't fall into that and becomes a solid character then cool.. I'm just apprehensive is all. I don't mind fanservice (KLK is probably gonna be my AOTY and I watch One Piece...so yeah)...it's just normal Loli led shows aren't normally my cup of tea.

Syrinx

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 4

Doremi's head is kind of shaped like Mickey Mouse. Maybe they should use that as a selling point for her cookies if she continues to make them look like herself going forward. Japan knows who Mickey Mouse is, right?

Onpu continues to be a master businesswoman. Still a shame they didn't have Pop there to open the store. She's also a master businesswoman and has almost as many loyal followers as Onpu.

So Seki-sensei is still in contact with that dude. That's good. Seki-sensei deserves happiness. Is the other teacher living with her or something?

Crocodile

Gallieo Galliei 1

Not going to lie, that was kind of triggering my internal "Oh Japan!" response :/

Maybe my eyes were deceiving me but in the OP and ED she looked to be strolling about wearing nothing under her overalls. Again, maybe my eyes aren't working correctly but that's what it looked like to me :/

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What did you think of it? I thought it was so-so. I think my favorite part was the fight near the end and how he was kind of figuring out how things worked during the fight. It even seemed to have that PreCure jumping really high during your first battle thing, although obviously not as high though.

My take is that live action makes the absurdity of characters who are clearly intellectually and emotionally below their physical age and entire settings built around the rampant commercialization of a few products even more intense, both for good and bad. When the plastic shit in the show is literal plastic and you have these belts and swords and whatever spouting out tinny sound effects and Sharknado-tier CG and adults in dance gangs settling disputes with belligerent virtual pets, it makes me realize just how much more easily I take really stupid crap for granted in cartoons that I have more difficulty abiding with in live action.

Seriously, some of this CG, man...

gaim1-28ps5o.gif

This could be something that goes away with more exposure, or it could just be a double-standard that I can't move past. I'll only know with time, but more than anything, I'd just describe it as.......kind of weird and awkward but not necessarily unenjoyable. Some of what makes magical girl good isn't reproducible outside of the medium of animation, like antics episodes with their secondary purpose as platforms upon which directors and animators can go wild with the full extent of their cartooning skills. If there's a toku equivalent to this that shines in its actor performances or technical merits I'd love to see it, but with its disposable bishounen actors and combat heavily reliant upon really jarring CG, I have a hard time imagining what form this equivalent would take. I expect to follow Gaim to completion, though, so I suppose we'll see.

All Aboard KaminaGAF

sadly I cannot add you to the big post with the other pictures but
KsuXpcJ.png

I less than three you.

Mine shall be the military ranking that will pierce the heavens.

Golden Time 2
Two episodes in and this is still one of the better animes this season imho. It's incredible what the change of setting to university does to liven up a slice of life anime. Girl protagonist looks like a more beautiful and tall Taiga and male protagonist is already beating 90% of slice of life/romance guys because he's not a total spass. As to this episode it was enjoyable. We saw our two protags getting a bit closer also some comedy and character development. The pacing has been slow but steady, which was the same with Toradora.

Shergal

Panty & Stocking Episode 5 spoilers maybe? Tagged just to be safe.

Yeah, I found that episode to have this weird sort of anticipation. It starts and you're like "What the heck?! What show is this?!" and it goes on and it's just depressing and then Panty & Stocking get mentioned! And then they finally show up... and they're exactly the same as normal even though they don't fit in with the art shift. It almost feels like how the rest of the world views P&S, compared to how they view themselves, but that doesn't actually make sense since the rest of the world seems to love them in the rest of the show. It's like they simultaneously deconstructed their own show, made a parody of jdramas, made a jdrama played straight, and made a story about vomit monsters at the same time.

RIP Gainax, you crazy bastards.

That segment is also an obtuse reference to a 20 years old OVA where they did the same stuff with the artstyle for one episode. So Imaishi!

Gazoinks

Man, I want the next episode of Kyousogiga already. Why couldn't it have started earlier? >.>

Coppelion 2
: Revenge of Mixed Feelings

I feel like this is one of those shows where I like what they're trying to do more than what they're actually doing. This episode had some nice emotional bits, but it felt kind of... manipulative.
Having a tragic child is the easiest possible way to make people sad, you know?
Also, while the theme of the girls' humanity is interesting, it feels too on the nose:
"You are just a cold-blooded doll!"
I'm also still not really getting much interesting characterization on the girls themselves. There was some, but, eh... My main issue right now is with the writing, really, it just feels kind clunky and lacking in subtlety, which it could really use. I think I'll put it on-hold for now and come back to it later, I really would like this show to iron out its kinks.

That segment is also an obtuse reference to a 20 years old OVA where they did the same stuff with the artstyle for one episode. So Imaishi!

Oh wow, that's one hardcore in-joke reference.

Jarmel

Banned
IS 2- 2

Charlotte again establishing herself as best girl by telling the others to shut up. Also new girl is nice but there's obviously some twist with her.

Oh and lol at Japan being irrevelant.

jbug617

Banned
IS 2

He was dreaming about his
sister and not Japan
right? I like the new girl she is more playful compared to the other girls. I will not give up on Japan though.

Also lol at the last shot.

tumblr_muh0qlR9gz1s989wqo1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom