• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

Valvrave - 13

Still very much using the patented insanity formula that worked so well the first time around. Thankfully, they didn't mess around with resolving the cliffhanger. Haruto himself is still bland, but at least he's more proactive this season. I like that. Can't say no to more ERUERUF or more Saki either. Also, Beast High was pretty funny. I enjoyed the brief mecha battles too.

Syrinx

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 5

Satojun would join the SOS trio...

What exactly are cold jokes? I can gather that they're incredibly stupid and lame, but I really don't get what they're going for other than looking and sounding silly. Is that it? Or does it mean something else? I probably should have asked this at a much earlier point.

Flowers of Evil 1:
Right from the beginning, this show wows me with all the great backgrounds and scenery It's incredibly striking and detailed, and they build up a unique look from the outset. What really got me was the scene early on when the characters are walking with that music playing. It just felt so perfect, being both ordinary and oppressive. And the walking felt right. The arrangement of books in the room later on was another small moment that really told me a lot about the character, his interests, and the way he lives.

It might take me a little bit of time to fully accept the rotoscoping look (although I already found it was working fairly well by the end of the episode), but one place I really appreciate it in is the movements. The characters are constantly moving, rather than just having a few static positions they cycle through.

In the second half of the episode, things start to feel a bit more oppressive, and the atmosphere changes. I really have to applaud both the scoring of the episode, as well as the direction of it in this regard. Even though nothing crazy was happening, I felt like it was really choking energy out of me. Plus, how great was that whole scene shown from the mirror? And then the ending comes along and things really get weird.

Plus, that ending sequence was just bizarre. One of the more unique ending songs I can recall.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Valvrave the Liberator S2 1

it's back baby!

Infinite Stratos S2 2

hwdy.jpg

o.0
i...i...i can't...

student council pres shaking shit up like a total troll.

Gazoinks

Flowers of Evil 1:
Right from the beginning, this show wows me with all the great backgrounds and scenery It's incredibly striking and detailed, and they build up a unique look from the outset. What really got me was the scene early on when the characters are walking with that music playing. It just felt so perfect, being both ordinary and oppressive. And the walking felt right. The arrangement of books in the room later on was another small moment that really told me a lot about the character, his interests, and the way he lives.

It might take me a little bit of time to fully accept the rotoscoping look (although I already found it was working fairly well by the end of the episode), but one place I really appreciate it in is the movements. The characters are constantly moving, rather than just having a few static positions they cycle through.

In the second half of the episode, things start to feel a bit more oppressive, and the atmosphere changes. I really have to applaud both the scoring of the episode, as well as the direction of it in this regard. Even though nothing crazy was happening, I felt like it was really choking energy out of me. Plus, how great was that whole scene shown from the mirror? And then the ending comes along and things really get weird.

Plus, that ending sequence was just bizarre. One of the more unique ending songs I can recall.

That ending song is becoming the bane of my existence. Every time I hear it it gets creepier. "Ordinary and oppressive" is a pretty good description of the series as a whole. I'm just under halfway through this series myself, so I'll be curious to compare my impressions with yours.

Infinite Stratos 2 02

aka

Ichika: Why is my life so hard?!

Every girl in this school: Ichika I want you to plow me so much it turns into a dust bowl.

Ichika: UGH IT'S SO HARD BEING LOVED BY EVERYONE A BLOO BLOO

Jarmel

Banned
Golden Time 2-

This was a much better episode actually. Main character is already fucking up though.

I was close to dropping the show last week but this definitely felt closer to Toradora than a work by Okada-san.

Gazoinks

Galilei Donna 1

GOLDFISH EVERYWHERE.

Anyway this was pretty alright. It didn't light fire to my imagination, but it was solid. I'll keep an eye on it, but I probably won't actively watch it in favor of other things.

Nafe

My take is that live action makes the absurdity of characters who are clearly intellectually and emotionally below their physical age and entire settings built around the rampant commercialization of a few products even more intense, both for good and bad. When the plastic shit in the show is literal plastic and you have these belts and swords and whatever spouting out tinny sound effects and Sharknado-tier CG and adults in dance gangs settling disputes with belligerent virtual pets, it makes me realize just how much more easily I take really stupid crap for granted in cartoons that I have more difficulty abiding with in live action.

Seriously, some of this CG, man...

http://abload.de/img/gaim1-28ps5o.gif

This could be something that goes away with more exposure, or it could just be a double-standard that I can't move past. I'll only know with time, but more than anything, I'd just describe it as.......kind of weird and awkward but not necessarily unenjoyable. Some of what makes magical girl good isn't reproducible outside of the medium of animation, like antics episodes with their secondary purpose as platforms upon which directors and animators can go wild with the full extent of their cartooning skills. If there's a toku equivalent to this that shines in its actor performances or technical merits I'd love to see it, but with its disposable bishounen actors and combat heavily reliant upon really jarring CG, I have a hard time imagining what form this equivalent would take. I expect to follow Gaim to completion, though, so I suppose we'll see.

Yeah, I personally wasn't really big on the whole dance gangs and kind of pseudo Pokemon battles in the first episode. The CG I'm not sure will improve much. Watching all of Wizard and there were still things, like seeing the dragon, that seemed really jarring even at the end. It will probably be like anime in that it's always jarring or maybe you'll just not hate it as much or something,haha.

It's actually kind of funny though seeing civilian people not being able to put up any kind of a fight against someone in a big mascot uniform where it looks like they can barely move,haha.

I agree about the antics episodes. Sentai and Kamen Rider can sort of do that in that characters maybe just act a bit out of character or the monster just has some silly way they need to be beaten or something. Yeah, basically they have they're similarities but they're also different. I guess it's kind of like watching the Sailor Moon anime and the live action show, except Sentai and Rider have MUCH better battles. Sailor Moon also feels more like a "my first toku" type of show in ways.

Galilei Donna 01

I wasn't expecting mecha right from the start or hell mecha anywhere in this show.

It wasn't bad and it does have potential with the plot, but I'm not so sure how willing I am to want to keep watching.

Conan-san

Gundam Build Fighters
Really, this is what Gundam AGE should have been; Level 5 letting go of all restraints and going crazy (as it stands, it's basically Sunrise going crazy and coping LXB, oh well).

Everything from random cameos from Gundam chracters, Wing geting the slag beaten out of it to a genuinely enjoyable cast (though If I never see annoying Screws-light boy ever again outside of the context of "Working for evil organization that's using Gunpla for evil evily that will be a thing because cardgames on gundams" that'd be nice)

cajunator

Banned
I'm watching Kill La Kill, That Kyoani Show, and Golden Time... But only because they look pretty. Someone help me !! What are the story focused shows this season? I already have Coppelion chalked up.

I like pretty shows too. Tsuritama for example !

Looks like they'll be livestreaming loctest footage from Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax over the weekend at this Ustream channel. At the moment I'm posting this no one seems to be around so it's just CPUs fighting as part of the demo reel, but later in the day when people start showing up there'll probably be some actual matches.

edit: looks like the first players showed up, though they're just testing out moves for now.

edit2: I just saw Shizuo charge straight through Mikoto's railgun attack using a van door as a shield, so I'm satisfied for now.

Based Kuroyukihime ♥

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Golden Time 2

this show's pretty damn enjoyable. Nothing too fancy, but it does put a nice smile on my face. The college atmosphere is really a good way to add a fresh twist to the generic school romance show format.

So now that every anime I cared about has aired (not sure about PUPA anymore) I gotta say that none of them have been amazing as of right now. They've all been ok to good. Spring had Gargantia and me Yamato 2199. So maybe I'm biased and not being fair.

Gazoinks

So now that every anime I cared about has aired (not sure about PUPA anymore) I gotta say that none of them have been amazing as of right now. They've all been ok to good. Spring had Gargantia and me Yamato 2199. So maybe I'm biased and not being fair.

The only shows that really grabbed me from the first episode were Kill La Kill and Kyousogiga. Still, it's pretty early in the season and there's still plenty of time for the shows out to develop into something cool.

The only shows that really grabbed me from the first episode were Kill La Kill and Kyousogiga. Still, it's pretty early in the season and there's still plenty of time for the shows out to develop into something cool.

Maybe. I'm hoping Samurai Flamenco does a 180 as I don't need Kick-ass-oniIsama.

These are the days I miss my anime lover.

GINTAMA. WHERE ARE YOU.

Ookiku Furikabutte 01

LU0Oq3Vl.jpg

Base Ball Bear OP, amazing.

I guess I can finally finish this show after I stopped somewhere.

Watching something over again lets you appreciate the dialogue that's going on and catch little hints that are dropped here and there. Still an enjoyable show though that's before any real long baseball matches actually happen. Abe's still the best of course.

B.O.O.M

Samurai Flamenco 01

It's ALL KINDS OF KICKASS! Love this show

Machine Doll 01

A disgrace compared to the manga..hopefully will get better

Strike the Blood 01

Not bad so far. Hopefully it has a lot of action in it...don't want too much vampire drama

Tokyo Ravens 01

Excellent. The anime is making some changes to the story or at least how it's told, compared to the manga too. Good stuff

Gazoinks

Aight, uncomfortableness time.

The Flowers of Evil 6

You had your half episode of happiness Kasuga, back to the emotional torture!

Well, he's sort of growing a spine. Sort of.

The Flowers of Evil 7

Back to another cheerful opening! Alright.

So things actually came to a head in this episode. Rapidly! The whole ending scene was intense, yo. Pretty curious to see what's going to happen next.

katsu-rap-o.gif

joi ga joy

joy ga joi

:

Read or Die Galileo Edition

Getting that vague ... vague ROD feel. But younger sister needs to pack it up, she can't hang with paper ninja girl. Alright this scooter is some type of Borderlands shit. Goldfish ... aka ROSEBUD. This all makes sense now.

Nevermind. What the hell did I get myself into...

Defuser

Samurai Flamenco ep 1
At least the guy wasn't wearing hockey pads.
I can't seem to get Gintoki's impression out of my head considering the way Sugita voices the character.

Overall interesting premise but the hero monologue is too long and dragging.

Samurai Flamenco ep 1
At least the guy wasn't wearing hockey pads.
I can't seem to get Gintoki's impression out of my head considering the way Sugita voices the character.

Overall interesting premise but the hero monologue is too long and dragging.

I have the same problem, and I blame it almost entirely on the fact that he starts talking about Kamen Rider right after the OP. I can almost imagine Gintoki saying those exact words.

So I finally ordered the Little Witch Academia BD set off of TRIGGER a couple of days ago, and it arrived not more than ten minutes ago.

HOLY SHIT THIS THING IS HUGE I HAD NO IDEA.

This is the cover of the mook that comes with it. Easily worth $30 on its own IMO. The insides are super classy.

This is the back of the mook. The full artwork is really beautiful. The text on the slip goes around btw. It says "Never forget, a believing heart is your magic."

This is the front of the BD/CD box. It's the same size as the mook, so it's pretty goddamn big.

Next up is the back of the box. Looooooooooove it.

Lastly is the inside of the box and a look at the two discs. Haven't actually popped these in yet.

Bless TRIGGER. This set is definitely worth the $60 they're charging.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 5

What exactly are cold jokes? I can gather that they're incredibly stupid and lame, but I really don't get what they're going for other than looking and sounding silly. Is that it? Or does it mean something else? I probably should have asked this at a much earlier point.
It's just a description used in Japanese, like "lame" in English, but it lends itself to visual representation. I guess an equivalent in that respect would be tumbleweeds, leaves in the wind, or crickets.

Thoraxes

So I finally ordered the Little Witch Academia BD set off of TRIGGER a couple of days ago, and it arrived not more than ten minutes ago.
This is the back of the mook. The full artwork is really beautiful. The text on the slip goes around btw. It says "Never forget, a believing heart is your magic."

This sold me more than the rest of the stuff. Those people having fucking soul and heart like nobody else and BELIEVE.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
kill la kill 02
well, that was more fan service than i could have possibly anticipated.

Kill la Kill 02

The tennis gags left me in fucking stitches. Mako's family is also amazing.

But the winner here is sexy teacher. Come on TRIGGER. Put him in a car and call it a day.

<3

cnet128

Banned
Looks like they'll be livestreaming loctest footage from Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax over the weekend at this Ustream channel. At the moment I'm posting this no one seems to be around so it's just CPUs fighting as part of the demo reel, but later in the day when people start showing up there'll probably be some actual matches.

edit: looks like the first players showed up, though they're just testing out moves for now.

edit2: I just saw Shizuo charge straight through Mikoto's railgun attack using a van door as a shield, so I'm satisfied for now.

I'm seeing Kirino vs. Kirino, and one of them has Leafa as a support.

It's Taketatsu Ayana overload!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom