• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
According to Rumiko Takahashi, it grants you immortality, so might be worth a try...

Eating mermaid is never a good idea. NEVER.

Well, I've now looked through the fall chart of anime. And I'm pressed to find something that personally interests me. Gingitsune was the first that caught my attention. But upon a closer look, there isn't much else that sticks out to me as interesting.

I think that most people here know my taste. Would someone here please recommend me an anime?

If you watch one anime this season, watch Kill la Kill.

It's, like, a no-brainer.

Not watching Kill la Kill should be some kind of crime.

(Also, I think you like cute things? So check out Non Non Biyori.)

Articalys

Yu-Sibu ep.2

Still fun to watch. They even managed to make someone trying to remember stock convenience store phrases look endearing and cute.

By the way, this show has some of the most ridiculous character names. Raul Chaser, Fino Bloodstone, Visor Crossroads, Nova Luminous...

Tenumi

Banned
The iDOLM@STER: 05

hfM8aGd.jpg

Beach episode!

kill la kill
kill la kill
I loved Little Witch Academia. And I can definitely expect high production values out of Studio Trigger.

Unfortunately, I've been a little turned off by some of the screenshots I've seen. Particularly some of the 'practically naked' ones out there.

Exactly how much giggle physics can I expect out of Studio Trigger for this anime?
Because I don't like jiggle physics.

Actually, what is it I ought to look forward to out of Kill la Kill in general?

Joe Molotov

Kill La Kill, the newest anime by the creative minds behind over the top mecha hit Gurren Lagann, is all about a girl searching for the person who killed her father. To do this she has a giant scissor-blade and a transforming school uniform. That's where things get troubling.

In the series' lore, she slits her wrist to transform because the living uniform feeds on her blood. Thus the time limit for her transformation is until she passes out due to blood loss.

That explanation, however, doesn't change the fact that slitting one's wrists is one of the most common ways to attempt suicide (or at the very least self-mutilation) and the anime purposely evokes that image. This is all the more shocking considering that, according to the latest reported figures, Japan has one of the highest suicide rates in the world—21.7 suicides per 100,000 people. (For comparison, the last measured US suicide rate is only 12 suicides per 100,000 people.)

Yes, Kill la Kill is an action-comedy and of course, it is far from the only popular Japanese property to use suicidal images for shock value—Persona 3 and it's pistol-like evokers comes to mind, for example. But just because it's been done before doesn't make it any less disturbing when you remember that, by associating the images with awesome, action packed fights, Kill la Kill is basically making slitting your wrist seem like a “cool” thing to do. And I admit, that worries me a bit.

Kotaku stahp :(

Well, I've now looked through the fall chart of anime. And I'm pressed to find something that personally interests me. Gingitsune was the first that caught my attention. But upon a closer look, there isn't much else that sticks out to me as interesting.

I think that most people here know my taste. Would someone here please recommend me an anime?

Besides the obvious Kill La Kill, I trully enjoyed nagi-no-asukara; thought it was good as a complementary series.

Jarmel

Banned
I loved Little Witch Academia. And I can definitely expect high production values out of Studio Trigger.

Unfortunately, I've been a little turned off by some of the screenshots I've seen. Particularly some of the 'practically naked' ones out there.

Exactly how much giggle physics can I expect out of Studio Trigger for this anime?
Because I don't like jiggle physics.

Actually, what is it I ought to look forward to out of Kill la Kill in general?

If you're already having issues with the fanservice, I wouldn't recommend it.

cnet128

Banned
Recommendations don't have to be from this season, by the way. There's loads of previous aired anime out there I've missed out on.

In that case... I don't see anything in your post history about Kin'iro Mosaic. If you haven't watched it yet, that's a problem that you should probably fix.

I love all the small background details that trigger hides in plain sight. I did not catch these my first time through and I'm sure there's a lot more. Like:

Why were they eating the grub croquettes when they could being that chicken?

uhhhhhhhhhh i wonder what mermaid tastes like

The sight gags are quite possibly my favorite thing about the series.

I'm only being a little bit hyperbolic. They really add a lot.

nagi-no-asukara
I'd skimmed over that entry on AniChart and didn't give it much more look.
There wasn't a description of the anime, and nothing seemed particularly striking about the promotional graphic.

But now that I've done more reading and researching into the title, it does sound a lot more interesting to me now.

UPwd3jB.png

This is also a much better promotional graphic than what they're using. It communicates the setting a lot better than a bunch of kids jumping.

I like the description of the lore or background of this world. People living in the ocean an so forth.

In that case... I don't see anything in your post history about Kin'iro Mosaic. If you haven't watched it yet, that's a problem that you should probably fix.
Wow, that's perfect. I can't believe I haven't seen this anime before.

This is definitely an anime I would have already watched if I had been better keeping up with anime rather than video games lately. Thanks for that recommendation. I'll go watch that immediately.

cnet128

Banned
Forget keeping up with anime, it's all about the games.

My copy of Pokemon X just finished downloading a few seconds ago.

Why do I have the feeling that trying to find time to play this is not going to do wonders for my efforts to keep up with far too many anime.

Jex

[Galilei Donna] - 1

This is a well made, good looking, and generally enjoyable first episode that utterly failed to garner my interest. I have no interest in the characters or the setting based on what Umetsu displayed here. This mix of adventure and light heated banter is giving be bad Fractale flashbacks.

I do think the Umetsu's direction of this episode was praiseworthy. I loved the fetishistic attention to detail on mechanical objects and the logical coherence to all the action sequences and it all moved along at a fair pace but I just didn't care for any of it.

I probably won't be bothering to watch another episode.

Yu-Sibu ep.2

Still fun to watch. They even managed to make someone trying to remember stock convenience store phrases look endearing and cute.

By the way, this show has some of the most ridiculous character names. Raul Chaser, Fino Bloodstone, Visor Crossroads, Nova Luminous...

Those sound like rejected Gundam character names.

santeesioux

Golden Time 2

Big improvement over the first episode, but you can already see where it's going, of course the opening ruins that already.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Note sure who you are but I will recommend Log Horizon.

I'd skimmed over that entry on AniChart and didn't give it much more look.
There wasn't a description of the anime, and nothing seemed particularly striking about the promotional graphic.

But now that I've done more reading and researching into the title, it does sound a lot more interesting to me now.

This is also a much better promotional graphic than what they're using. It communicates the setting a lot better than a bunch of kids jumping.

I like the description of the lore or background of this world. People living in the ocean an so forth.

to be honest I stumbled upon it @ cr, description looked ok, has a nice sense of style and the set up is kinda interesting, like it so far.

LayLa

Samurai Flamenco 1

really mixed feelings about this, loved the cop but loathed the model. if the show was about the cop's life i'd be 100% on board, but given the show title it's going to heavily feature the asshole model guy isn't it. will give it a couple more episodes to see which direction it goes in but expectations are now low.

Would I be an animu heathen if I said that 90% of the anime about cute girls doing badass shit would be better if you replaced those cute girls with badass characters?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Would I be an animu heathen if I said that 90% of the anime about cute girls doing badass shit would be better if you replaced those cute girls with badass characters?

Plenty of anime like that in the world actually. That is anime like Fairy Tail, Bleach, One Piece, Soul Eater, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball Z and so on and so forth.

Any thoughts about Log Horizon? I thought it was aight, had a nice sense of self awareness; not sure about long term potential but the first episode was good, liking the characters so far.

Any thoughts about Log Horizon? I thought it was aight, had a nice sense of self awareness; not sure about long term potential but the first episode was good, liking the characters so far.

After the first episode it seems like one of those anime that will be considered decent but forgettable. Animation is eh, character design is eh, story is eh, but somehow in the first episode it added up to: eh not bad.

over-all it'll be one of those 70s rated anime.

It was pretty fun and lighthearted, thankfully differentiating itself from SAO. Plus Akatsuki is adorable.

DiGiKerot

Maybe this is the mystery film? IG is showing a large number of works at SLA after all...

For what it's worth, it's on the list of things that Andrew P said it's definitely one of. I'd kind of ruled it out by virtue of the fact that it's not out until next year, but the screening is supposed to be of a non-final edit, and the festival has, traditionally, had pretty good ties with Production IG (their first mystery film was Oblivion Island, and their second was supposed to be 009 Re:Cyborg).

Much as I'd like to see Yoyo and Nene, I wouldn't feel too ripped off if Giovanni no Shima was the mystery film.

Speaking of SLA, I guess it's actually started. Enjoyed Eva 3.0 more on the big screen than I did at home, part of which is probably knowing what to expect this time, but I'm still largely ambivalent towards it.

Perfect Blue in a couple of hours. I don't think I've seen that movie since 1999...

My copy of Pokemon X just finished downloading a few seconds ago.

Why do I have the feeling that trying to find time to play this is not going to do wonders for my efforts to keep up with far too many anime.

:l

Well it's nice that I'm not keeping up with much right now anyway...

Felt like a morning cartoon that one watches while waiting for their time to walk to the school bus, that is to say, watchable and decent though nothing special beyond enemies dropping loot. Could be flashier and have some element of surprise and suspense.

duckroll

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta - Episode 1

I liked this more than I expected. I'm no fan of the franchise, but since the episode didn't really require much knowledge of the setting to enjoy a random action packed set piece involving giant goldfishes, it was pretty fun. I dunno if I'll keep watching every week, but as long as the antics are fun and the animation is top-tier, it should be enjoyable. The end of the episode sets up an interesting longer term goal for the series' story arc too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom