• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I felt like that was more Kamille's thing. Judau's power was to protect all the imoutos of the world. Haman Khan is secretly an imouto somewhere deep down. And I should note that I actually quite like the beginning of ZZ, but many folks don't. That said, I still prefer the second half, aside from them trying to suddenly make Mondo into a serious character. I thought they did a fine job of doing that to Judau, Roux, Beecha, Elle and Glemy, and seeing how Haman had left Chara and Mashmyre screwed up worked, too.

I'm a rare minority on this, I know, but I honestly think that ZZ does everything Zeta wanted to, but better, and I think that it is precisely that goofiness which enables it to. Zeta gets bogged down in all kinds of problems in the middle that ZZ, because it shrugs stuff off, never falls victim to. I'm crazy, but I legit think ZZ is the better show by a country mile. No Katz, no Sarah, no Reccoa, Char's corpse has been buried, no Poptarts Sriracha. ZZ was great for me, although it took a long while for me to warm up to.

As a Zeta fan I respect this argument. EVEN IF I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH IT

At least we can find common ground in thinking Victory was fucking horrible. Pretty much Tomino hates women the TV series.

I still haven't seen Golden Boy, and I kinda think I need to lay off bad mecha after Victory for awhile. I really, really need to see Macross, Getter, Mazinger, Patlabor, Giant Robo and the Buster shows. Also I still have to resume and finish Zegapain and Dual! Parallel Trouble

YES! Especially if you like Big O and G Gundam

sonicmj1

Kyousougiga 1

I enjoyed this a lot more than the prequel episode. It's amazing what coherent narrative can do!

I guess that's an easy joke to make, but this set of shorts was probably the best thing I've seen so far this season. It didn't lose any of the quirkiness that made the Kyoto setting so interesting, but the individual stories of Myoe and his family were really touching.

If this is the quality of storytelling we're going to get from the rest of its run, then I'm really looking forward to the episodes to come.

It does, though.

Fuck you're kidding me. They kept restarting the fucking timeline and I was all
shut-up-exasperated-archie-o.gif

CorvoSol

Not sure whether I'll finish this show tonight or tomorrow.
The Flowers of Evil 10

:(

The best episode of any anime I've seen this season.

As a Zeta fan I respect this argument. EVEN IF I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH IT

At least we can find common ground in thinking Victory was fucking horrible. Pretty much Tomino hates women the TV series.

YES! Especially if you like Big O and G Gundam

Like I said, I'm in the minority when it comes to opinions on Zeta, and I think that part of my dislike for the show is because I watched the dub, expecting it to be as good as MSG's. I really like Kamille, and the Zeta and Hyaku Shiki are rad. But I dunno about Quattro. I kinda felt like Char post MSG is really wasted. Mostly because of CCA.

But really I just couldn't handle more episodes of people stealing an MS from the hangar and escaping the Argama with it. That Katz let Sarah escape twice pissed me off so much. Katz was probably half the cause of my anger in that show.

Articalys

Fujimi Shobo has a special illustration at their Fantasia Bunko 25th Anniversary Festival, though it's a tad less impressive than the one at Dengeki Bunko's:
25 Fantasia Bunko heroines for the 25th anniversary, drawn by Full Metal Panic! artist Shiki Douji. How many can you identify?

Finding time between school, work, anime, manga, and Pokemon, is going to be difficult.

I think it's universally agreed that Charlotte has the title of "Best Girl"

You would be correct if only Chifuyu-nee didn't exist.

But unfortunately harems tend to end with the guy going for the first girl they met or the childhood friend. Which is a shame.

Good thing the first girl here is one of the best choices :p

I'm not a staff whore, so I have no idea if it's a new director or anything, but season 1 was perfect. Something happened with the two years that they took off because of the rights issues.
IS2, biggest anime disappointment of the year so far? Okay, maybe not, but it's got to be on the list! IS2 is just average... :(

Yes, there is a different director.
It's unfortunate that they apparently couldn't find someone who understood why the first season was so "great". :( Instead, generic is all it aims for now... unfortunate.

I've always disliked the hereditary talent trope in anime, and with their prideful mother continually lording their ancestry over them, I certainly hope that their abilities aren't ultimately implied to exist just because they're Galileo's ancestors rather than that fact simply having served as the motivation for the family to become prodigious engineers. Hopefully future episodes can remedy my concerns with the characterization.
The hereditary talent trope is a very common theme in a lot of fiction, though... it's definitely extremely common in anime, and yeah, it has some troubling issues to it (mostly that the premise is flawed), but it's understandable that it'd be used so much -- people inevitably end up thinking of who someones' parents were, particularly if the person had a famous parent, or even ancestor.

Of course, also, the importance of family is emphasized even more in traditional Japanese culture, too (because of the influence from China probably, which has always strongly believed such things), which probably is a reason why it's so common...

I also see they're taking the Arcana Famiglia route of "we want to give this show an Italian feel but don't actually know anything about Italy so we'll just have characters say 'bambina' sometimes and give them the only globally ubiquitous Italian surname we know" approach to setting.
To be fair, anime virtually never get ANY Western settings right. That includes both fantasy worlds and "real world" settings -- in either case, if it's not set in Japan (or maybe ancient China), and wasn't made by Ghibli, it's almost certain to be ludicrously inaccurate. It's extremely annoying though, certainly. "Omnipresent and really frustrating" is a good way to think about it, I think. Of course the fact that I'm a history major amplifies how much this bothers me versus other people, but yeah, it's a big problem.

Finding time between school, work, anime, manga, and Pokemon, is going to be difficult.

You would be correct if only Chifuyu-nee didn't exist.

Good thing the first girl here is one of the best choices :p

Chifuyu-nee is his sister though. And I say that well aware of anime shows lol. He hasn't shown any interest in her as a woman, which again is surprising for a male lead in anime.

And Houki has no personality besides "childhood friend". That's literally her personality.

Viva la France

Speaking of getting stuck in games, I bought Kid Icarus Uprising today. I don't get why I need the stand or even how to use it. Pit's a dweeb, but Palutena is fairly on her way to waifu. Here's hoping she doesn't turn out to be another awful JRPG Goddess.

You're in for a great game. The characters are hell of enjoyable to listen to. Make sure you watch the SHAFT animated short on the game!

dr_shaft.gif

Gazoinks

Great write-up, there. Your analysis of Kasuga really brought out why he was such an interestingly characterized character. It's really hard to make this sort of sniveling pathetic dweeb work as a character, but they managed it. And yeah, the utter rawness of Episode 10 was just... Oof. Especially Kasuga's
admitting that he doesn't understand The Flowers of Evil.

Y'know, it's kind of funny coming to this show right after The Tatami Galaxy, because they're both about pathetic "empty" people who just need to get their act together and actually go for the things they want. Except Tatami Galaxy is quirky and touching and The Flowers of Evil is like submerging your face in acid (okay that's probably an extreme comparison, but still). :D

That's why I love Monster. The only Japanese guy was the weirdo in it.

How's the anime? I love the manga, but I've never seen the show.

As far as good non-Japanese settings in anime, the only thing that really comes to mind is Baccano. A big part of what made that feel so good was the dub, though.

How's the anime? I love the manga, but I've never seen the show.

As far as good non-Japanese settings in anime, the only thing that really comes to mind is Baccano. A big part of what made that feel so good was the dub, though.

Forgot about Baccano, that was another great western setting anime. Same with the first 1-2 episodes of Eden of the East in Engrish America.

As to Monster, the anime is fantastic. Though I'm not sure how much enjoyment you'd get out of it with already having read the manga as the plot is 90% of the enjoyment, with the other 10% being the amazing german locales and backgrounds. They did great research.

I can't wait for the HBO live action Del Toro version

cajunator

Banned
You're in for a great game. The characters are hell of enjoyable to listen to. Make sure you watch the SHAFT animated short on the game!

dr_shaft.gif

It is a great game. Bit challenging for us lefties though!

Is it in the game? Cuz my animue/game waifu at the moment is still Shoko from Liberassion Maiden. Hometown the size of the moon.

They arent but footage is all over youtube. Shaft Palu is REALLY cute.

Chifuyu-nee is his sister though. And I say that well aware of anime shows lol. He hasn't shown any interest in her as a woman, which again is surprising for a male lead in anime.
Fortunately, yeah, in this series the incest option isn't happening anywhere outside of the minds of those crazy incest fans... but I don't think I need to say anything about incest in anime again. I've done that before. :p I'll just say that I think it's clear that Chifuyu is as she is as bait for incest fans, but the author doesn't actually want to GO that route, so it's kept at a very low level compared to all of those super-creepy incest-obsessed animes out there, thankfully.

And Houki has no personality besides "childhood friend". That's literally her personality.
Hey, she's also "tsundere"... though almost the whole main female cast is tsundere, but that's part of IS's charm!

Also Houki has a bit more to her, mostly revolving around her somewhat tense relationship with her sister. But that's about it.

Viva la France
Char is the best character by far, of course, but the ending of ep. 12 of S1 suggested that if anyone "wins" it's going to be Houki... :(

Forgot about Baccano, that was another great western setting anime. Same with the first 1-2 episodes of Eden of the East in Engrish America.

As to Monster, the anime is fantastic. Though I'm not sure how much enjoyment you'd get out of it with already having read the manga as the plot is 90% of the enjoyment, with the other 10% being the amazing german locales and backgrounds. They did great research.

I can't wait for the HBO live action Del Toro version
I haven't watched either of those series, but they don't seem like things I'd like that much I think...

As for animes with Western settings which actually have competently thought through settings, outside of Ghibli, The Sky Crawlers had a good setting... though of course that was a movie, not a TV series, so it had a lot more budget and attention. Too bad about how unbelievably, numbingly boring the movie was, though... Anyway, there are a few examples of good, accurate Western settings in anime, but they are EXTREMELY rare.

Baccano and Monster are two must watch animes if you haven't seen them, definitely should be on the list of everybody.

As to Eden of the East I'm not sure. It's like a more mild/less gory Mirai Nikki and very seinen in its depiction of a competition of this sort and characters. But I always thought it was really well rated and it ended up being only ok rated among anime fans.

CorvoSol

AGEtory Gundam 38

Honestly at this point I only know that the Zanscare are the bad guys because they're employing Chumpicle Asser and Bitchijina Loser. Otherwise, I wouldn't know because what these people are fighting over is a complete fucking mystery. What even is the Zanscare platform? Like, Zeon were for spacer independence, Cosmo Babylonia for aristocracy, and Jovians for the subjugation of Earth for materials. Zanscare is to promote the wheel?

Odelo wants to handle Ms. Marbet's body if things get too tiresome for her. Olha olha!

SHOW ME YOUR BIKING DREAM, SIR! WE SHOULD KILL PEOPLE SO WE CAN RIDE MOTORCYCLES

"Your lips! I can help you wet them!"
"Not right now."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL SHUT DOWN ODELOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I swear half the things that Uso says have no-HOLY SHIT BLADES ON A WHEEL OH MY SWEET GOD OF MECHA THESE ZANSCARE ARE PLAYING FOR KEEPS NOW THEY PUT SWORDS IN WHEELS! Has science gone too far!?

I will give 10 dollars to the man who can find a scene in this show where Karlman isn't trying to shit down Shakti's back. You can't do it. It can't be done. "We should focus on finding my sister who is in mortal peril!" "You're right, so instead let's chase Uso!"

You would think that it goes without saying that bicycles are not suited for flying, but as a proud member of the Zanscare Motorad Regiment of fucking idiots, Colonel Dumbfuck has to point out that these particular bikes are not suited for flying. This is a franchise that used to attempt to make an attempt at being scientifically believable. Now you better fucking buy my motorad toys or so help me there won't be another Gundam again.

HOLY SHIT FLANDERS FACE I CAN'T BREATHE OH DANG

Yuushibu 02

This show is really enjoyable. It's odd how we have another hero and dreams series yet this works just as good. I really do like the world they got going on here and all the characters are pretty fun.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Strike the Blood 2

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit this was so good. Strikes a perfect balance between slice of life stuff and action. And the action scenes were really, really well animated, too.

Can't wait until next episode to see
Akatsuki really let loose with his powers

Seriously, this episode just moved StB waaaaaay up in my rankings for this season. This show is great.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Good western locales in anime?

Gunsmith Cats
Mad Bull 34 (110% accurate)
Red Garden (although they cheated a bit with the private school)
Baccano
Monster (kinda)

Jarmel

Banned
Patlabor OVA 2 [12]- The Dungeon Again

~Welcome to the jungle, we got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want, honey we know the names
We are the people that you find, whatever you may need
If you got the money, honey we got your disease

In the jungle, welcome to the jungle
Watch it bring you to your kn-kn-knees, knees
I wanna watch you bleed~

Gazoinks

Gonna finish Flowers of Evil tonight. But first. Mech break!

The Big O 1

This is like what'd happen if you outsourced Batman: TAS to Japan and it is awesome. Roger's eyebrows are legendary.

Cliffhanger ending not good for one-off episode watching. :x

CorvoSol

They were briefly 3DS downloadable around the launch window.

Ah, youtube's got me covered, it seems.

Great write-up, there. Your analysis of Kasuga really brought out why he was such an interestingly characterized character. It's really hard to make this sort of sniveling pathetic dweeb work as a character, but they managed it. And yeah, the utter rawness of Episode 10 was just... Oof. Especially Kasuga's
admitting that he doesn't understand The Flowers of Evil.

Y'know, it's kind of funny coming to this show right after The Tatami Galaxy, because they're both about pathetic "empty" people who just need to get their act together and actually go for the things they want. Except Tatami Galaxy is quirky and touching and The Flowers of Evil is like submerging your face in acid (okay that's probably an extreme comparison, but still). :D

I feel that the point of the show is what Nakamura says: to break down your barriers. The whole town has this oppressive atmosphere, and that atmosphere has made Nakamura, Kasuga, and Saeki miserable and lonely. Destroying the town, at least in Nakamura's eyes, would set them free of that.

Welp, time to play some more Liberassion Maiden, it seems.

It is a great game. Bit challenging for us lefties though!

They arent but footage is all over youtube. Shaft Palu is REALLY cute.

I still have no idea how to use the stand.

Not in game, was on Nintendo Video (that thing I don't use anymore).

Maybe it's on Youtube???

Yeah, gotta find a good quality one, tho.

Gonna finish Flowers of Evil tonight. But first. Mech break!

The Big O 1

This is like what'd happen if you outsourced Batman: TAS to Japan and it is awesome.

Cliffhanger ending not good for one-off episode watching. :x

CAST IN THE NAME OF GOD YE NOT GUILTY

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gunslinger Girl.

It does better than most, anyway, sure. I don't know if that holds up in the manga or season 2 of the anime, but the first season is the only good part anyway, so that doesn't really matter. I thought of mentioning Gunslinger Girl... it has some issues, but certainly is much better than most. Still though, if they didn't tell you that, could you tell it's supposed to be set in Italy?

Good western locales in anime?

Gunsmith Cats
Mad Bull 34 (110% accurate)
Red Garden (although they cheated a bit with the private school)
Baccano
Monster (kinda)
Gunsmith Cats... :lol

Aria (Mars Venice, real Venice, whatever!)
Sora no Woto.
SnW is one of my favorite animes, but the setting? No. It is not accurate. The whole "it's a European village but it's in Japan" element of the setting is pretty silly, and the whole Europe/Japan mixture thing is never competently (or incompetently, even) explained. Another one in a similar place to that is Haibane Renmei; the setting is great, but the part-Europe, part-Japan element to it is weird. Of course Haibane Renmei is even better than SnW and is one of the best TV animes ever, but the setting isn't exactly "accurate".

Gazoinks

I feel that the point of the show is what Nakamura says: to break down your barriers. The whole town has this oppressive atmosphere, and that atmosphere has made Nakamura, Kasuga, and Saeki miserable and lonely. Destroying the town, at least in Nakamura's eyes, would set them free of that.

That actually brings up another point I like about this show: How much of a dead end the town feels. It just feels so secluded and oppressive. When Nakamura says that maybe there's nothing beyond it, you can almost believe it.

CorvoSol

That actually brings up another point I like about this show: How much of a dead end the town feels. It just feels so secluded and oppressive. When Nakamura says that maybe there's nothing beyond it, you can almost believe it.

That would be one crazy Gainax ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom