• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
It does better than most, anyway, sure. I don't know if that holds up in the manga or season 2 of the anime, but the first season is the only good part anyway, so that doesn't really matter. I thought of mentioning Gunslinger Girl... it has some issues, but certainly is much better than most. Still though, if they didn't tell you that, could you tell it's supposed to be set in Italy?

Gunsmith Cats... :lol

SnW is one of my favorite animes, but the setting? No. It is not accurate. The whole "it's a European village but it's in Japan" element of the setting is pretty silly, and the whole Europe/Japan mixture thing is never competently (or incompetently, even) explained. Another one in a similar place to that is Haibane Renmei; the setting is great, but the part-Europe, part-Japan element to it is weird. Of course Haibane Renmei is even better than SnW and is one of the best TV animes ever, but the setting isn't exactly "accurate".

Haibane Renmei is THE BEST anime series, not just one of the best.

Speaking of getting stuck in games, I bought Kid Icarus Uprising today. I don't get why I need the stand or even how to use it. Pit's a dweeb, but Palutena is fairly on her way to waifu. Here's hoping she doesn't turn out to be another awful JRPG Goddess.

OH MAN KID ICARUS UPRISING

that was my GOTY2012

Gazoinks

Watch Fooly Cooly.

Actually, I thought FLCL had a surprisingly grounded ending despite how completely insane the whole thing is.
By which I mean everything after the pirate king fight. I guess that's more of an epilogue?

I've been feeling like a rewatch of that soon.

Although Corvo, you're watching PS&G, right? Thaaat's Gainax. :p

Grzi

Kill la Kill - 02

Another pretty goid (not great) episode. Everything still feels kind of disjointed and a bit too wacky. I'm guessing it will stay that way but I'm hoping for at least some seriousness, in the fights tok. The tennis match, while fun, lacked the impact if a real fight. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a monster (suit?) of the week show in the vein of Star Driver (and I'm one of the few people that enjoyed thst show). Still, I'll continue to be cautiously optimistic.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
YuuSibu 2

Like others have said, this is a pretty enjoyable show. It's interesting to see a world that's kinda like the real world, but also a fantasy world. Also Fino is super adorable. The whole thing with the
thief
was pretty funny, and
fake Captain Picard
made another appearance too. :lol

As much as I'm liking Golden Time and Kill la Kill, I think this and Strike the Blood may make me look forward to Fridays more than Thursdays if they both keep up this quality.

Articalys

Interesting tidbit from the "From Light Novels to Anime/Manga" panel at NYCC, hosted by Kadokawa managing director Shinichiro Inoue:
Light novel adaptation rates are steadily increasing, Inoue pointed out. While the amount of manga turned into anime series has dropped from 50 percent to 33 percent since 2011, the number of anime based on light novels rose from 42 percent to 56 percent.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2013/new-york-comic-con/6

Outbreak Company 02

I'll like to update my synopsis of this show.

Japan discovers another world and they decide to bring the GLORY OF JAPANESE PRODUCTS to break down the class system and bring equity for all.

Jesus. I went to pick up my Pokemon copy and I got freaked out by the fanboyism of some other college students. Like playing it in the streets and orgasming over the game. Maybe I've outgrown the childish love for the game.

Either ways I judge the franchise via the anime, and the anime has sucked for a whike now, besides Origin. 4 episodes and the guy became more badass than Ash ever did

CorvoSol

OH MAN KID ICARUS UPRISING

that was my GOTY2012

I'm sort of not liking the camera being mapped to the stylus, yet. It feels unresponsive.

Actually, I thought FLCL had a surprisingly grounded ending despite how completely insane the whole thing is.
By which I mean everything after the pirate king fight. I guess that's more of an epilogue?

I've been feeling like a rewatch of that soon.

Although Corvo, you're watching PS&G, right? Thaaat's Gainax. :p

I am. It is.

AD Police OVA 3

I don't get why this is on the list. I mean yeah it's got a horrible fetish of grotesque violence against scantily clad women, but is that? I expected something more from the List. Anyway, according to The List, next up is Angel Cop, but there are caveats. Someone please cite those to me before I start.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AD Police OVA 3

I don't get why this is on the list. I mean yeah it's got a horrible fetish of grotesque violence against scantily clad women, but is that? I expected something more from the List. Anyway, according to The List, next up is Angel Cop, but there are caveats. Someone please cite those to me before I start.
Wait, either Jexhius recommended the OVA or I recommended the TV show. I forget which. Despite starting in the right place, the TV show got boring halfway in so it might not be that.

Anyway, Angel Cop is like 6 eps, but only 3 of those really qualify and the other 3 are more drab. That's the caveat.

Jarmel

Banned
Fujimi Shobo has a special illustration at their Fantasia Bunko 25th Anniversary Festival, though it's a tad less impressive than the one at Dengeki Bunko's:

25 Fantasia Bunko heroines for the 25th anniversary, drawn by Full Metal Panic! artist Shiki Douji. How many can you identify?

I recognize the only three that matter from that image.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
In quality or popularity?
Sales, mainly. When you ask anime companies to go where the money is, they always run to their otaku core.

Regardless, Light Novels prove that there is no such thing as an inverse to Sturgeon's Law- 10% of everything is not good. With LNs it's more like 1%, and that's being generous.
LNs are a biased sample to work with.

Articalys

The official site and first key visual for the Hitsugi no Chaika anime is finally up:

http://chaika-anime.jp/

Director: Soichi Masui (Scrapped Princess)
Character Design: Nobuhiro Arai
Series Composition: Touko Machida (Idolmaster)
Animation Production: Bones
ZclMD5q.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
The official site and first key visual for the Hitsugi no Chaika anime is finally up:

From the same author as Outbreak Company, Sasaki Ichirou brings you another adventure into his mindset.

NOW WITH BONES PRODUCTION VALUES!

wonzo

Banned
Is Galilei Donna any good? I read the description but i am not convinced of starting to watch it.

On the other hand i really like Golden time.
The first episode was pretty decent and had some nice bits of animation. I'd also check out Samurai Flamenco as it's a part of the same TV block.

Interesting tidbit from the "From Light Novels to Anime/Manga" panel at NYCC, hosted by Kadokawa managing director Shinichiro Inoue:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...rk-comic-con/6

Damn you, anime.

Jarmel

Banned
He wrote Scrapped Princess too!

Toru Acura, an incredibly lazy man with some hidden talents, has been forced by his sister Akari to actually go outside and search for work. However, he is in for a big surprise when he meets Chaika Trabant in the forest, and they are suddenly attacked by a monster! How will they survive? Who is this mysterious girl, and why is she being targeted?

This looks more in line with one of those two than the other.

cajunator

Banned

I see a goth loli carrying what appears to be a very overpowered weapon. I love this.

He wrote Scrapped Princess too!

Scrapped Princess was really good.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Galilei Donna 01
this was better than i expected. the music did a good job of creating an air of curiosity at the right moments, helped along by some good sections of slow builds that created at least some kind of tension. the characters were established up front in terms of personalities, and it was fun to watch them bounce off one another as the episode played out. this will at least get by on its panache for a few episodes, so hopefully they can construct something interesting with the larger world here.

Soma

Golden Time Episode 02

Haha damn the Tea Club goes in hard.

I'm sure this is fairly exaggerated and not entirely accurately indicative of how college life really is in Japan but it's still pretty nice to see a slightly different side of the spectrum in these kinds of romcom anime. It's interesting see how chaotic the club recruiting gets. Linda > Kaga obvs even though #TeamLinda is already looking like a lost cause at this point in the game. Even still, Kaga isn't a bad character so I'm a little okay with this. With 24 episodes I can already see these developments have all kinds of twists and turns but for now I'm enjoying this more than I expected I would.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I still haven't seen Golden Boy, and I kinda think I need to lay off bad mecha after Victory for awhile. I really, really need to see Macross, Getter, Mazinger, Patlabor, Giant Robo and the Buster shows. Also I still have to resume and finish Zegapain and Dual! Parallel Troubles.

You need to rectify this situation. Golden Boy is a must. English dub on that as well.

Oooooh boy. Y'all's tempting the giant here. You know how I can't resist a bad show.

Fine, fine.

You will (not) be disappointed.

CorvoSol

Wait, either Jexhius recommended the OVA or I recommended the TV show. I forget which. Despite starting in the right place, the TV show got boring halfway in so it might not be that.

Anyway, Angel Cop is like 6 eps, but only 3 of those really qualify and the other 3 are more drab. That's the caveat.

Ah, the list I was handed said the OVA, which was just violent, but not really insane.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt 6

OH MAN DEMON SISTERS AND THE FIGHT AND THE TRANSFORMATION OH MAN

Haibane Renmei is THE BEST anime series, not just one of the best.
I like Lain better. Nothing else, though.

I will never forget you, Despera...

Did Chicago get shipped to China?
On that note, Miami Guns has perhaps the most comically ridiculously wrong "Miami" ever put to television, I think... good series though, I quite enjoyed it!

Ghibli is cheating, though.
Definitely true, which is why I said they don't count. :)

In quality or popularity?

Regardless, Light Novels prove that there is no such thing as an inverse to Sturgeon's Law- 10% of everything is not good. With LNs it's more like 1%, and that's being generous.
Well, are 1% of American Young Adult novels good? LNs are like those... but maybe even worse, since they seem to be more popular. So yeah, 1% is being generous. LNs, and YA books, are pretty awful almost all of the time, no matter where they're from.

Gazoinks

The Flowers of Evil 11-13 END

New OP again! I like this 'un.

The ending of Episode 11 was great. Loved the dream sequence, and
the essay tying into the very beginning of the show.

Episode 13 was surprisingly sad,
with Nakamura's character
, and was a good finale, even if it had a ton of recycled footage. I liked what they did with the ending too, probably the best way they could've ended it without changing things from the source.

I like that they didn't take the easy way out and give Nakamura some cartoonishly abusive family. The fact that her family is fairly normal makes her a more interesting character, as well as fitting better with the themes and feel of the show. It's impressive they managed to make her a fairly tragic character (although still scary) suddenly without it feeling forced.

Really good show, probably AOTY. People who haven't watched it? Watch it!

Question: If I were to read the manga, should I read what the anime covered or can I just start from the end of the show?

Chuck

Still without luck
Samurai Flamenco 1

Really fun show. Masayoshi is adorable and his relationship with Goto should be a blast.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
On that note, Miami Guns has perhaps the most comically ridiculously wrong "Miami" ever put to television, I think... good series though, I quite enjoyed it!
I just think it's silly to nitpick an otherwise good depiction of Chicago when American productions fudge American locales all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom