• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

Why would you care about any series where you know the main characters aren't going to die (ie most anime)? The tone here is nothing like SAO.

Because it's still a show about battling. Usually there is at least an illusion of risk. Here there's squat so it's just flat out boring.

Because it's still a show about battling. Usually there is at least an illusion of risk. Here there's squat so it's just flat out boring.

I don't mind the illusion not being there, it's not like most action shows actually convince me that the main characters are ever in danger of dying. SAO certainly didn't.

jgminto

Log Horizon 2

It's neither adventurous enough or fun enough. It's just mundane, much like an mmo. Also apparently PKers are the worst people ever...even though they just established that players aren't dying. Don't get me wrong, getting PKed is annoying but talking about them like they're a pack of brutal murderers is just dumb. There's also apparently no big quest, so not really anything to strive towards. One will probably be introduced soon or they'll make their own but I don't care. Dropped.

Kagami

My roommate just got done reading all of the current Log Horizon novels and says it's a really interesting story about NOVEL SPOILERS
politics, scientific progress through practical application of magic, clever abuse of game rules, MMO tactics written by someone who's clearly played a lot of MMOs, and the gradual erosion of the game rules as the world "takes back reality" and NPCs starting acting smarter, monsters start acting smarter, people's minds start adjusting to match their characters
...apparently it's a pretty neat series.

Whether the anime adaptation will capture any of that is another matter, though.
It seems the anime already changed
the monster deaths in the first battle from gory realistic to merely poofing into coins and treasure like a video game
, so I dunno what that means for the future.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Nichibros 7

Oh god, best episode yet. The Dragon Quest skit, the gag skit, Literary Girl, "MAKE A JOKE", Mitsuo...the whole episode was just gold. This show, man. So good.

Theonik

Infinite Stratos 2 02
iR6HBW9LzXRiR.png

:public Toilet
OK this episode was a great improvement. Less dumb as bricks antics and more Ichika suffering plz.
It's only a matter of time before the president joins the harem. Germany was the same.
I know I'll regret saying this.

cajunator

Banned
Log Horizon 2

It's neither adventurous enough or fun enough. It's just mundane, much like an mmo. Also apparently PKers are the worst people ever...even though they just established that players aren't dying. Don't get me wrong, getting PKed is annoying but talking about them like they're a pack of brutal murderers is just dumb. There's also apparently no big quest, so not really anything to strive towards. One will probably be introduced soon or they'll make their own but I don't care. Dropped.

I like Ragnarok the animation a lot more than these because its more of a typical fantasy story, even though its based on an MMO. But its the actual characters in game so theres danger and such without the usual trappings of idiocy. I just dontl ike these "real world characters playing an mmo game" with the exception of Accel World, because that show had a certain something to it that was really fun. And KYH.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Episode 2:

If you die in the game you, er, are sent back to a spawn point with little penalty? So death does not currently apply, torn on that, on the one hand, stakes have been removed but on the other hand, I like it because it plays into this world playing out like an actual MMO. I also like that is having an actual effect on the world because the old standby trope of PKing comes up and is at first treated as a bit overwrought but thankfully is also not going to be taken to preposterous MURDER CULT levels either. I can see myself sticking with this show in spite of its bland presentation, characters and annoying attempts at humor. In spite of of those flaws I have never seen a show get being trapped in an MMORPGish world this right before and there is enough action and world building to keep me tuned in even if this show never rises above average. After fucking god damned Sword Art Online, I can take average. Though, on the other hand, something larger is needed and needed soon.

Valvrave the Liberator Second Season Episode 13 – A Cursed Bond

Oh yes its finally back and actually delivered on one of the things I wanted to happen first half. It may have taken 13 episodes but it was well worth it in the end. Truly whoever penned this series knows exactly what I want and really makes this the de facto contemporary mecha anime.
Still using the school as a base, combined with great mecha action, a bit of budding friendship and extremely close ties, to know fully canon EruHaru action for permanent, wow (also showing how strong L-elfs energy is if its able to excite Haruto enough to powerup every single unit at once
Best episode one premiere thus far this season. And the bonus ED shots of L elf and Haurto!

I hope that ending moment at least means, Q-vier, H-neun, X-eins, and A-drei will get some powerup boost now and also become the same type as everyone else to give them a winning edge now without it being fully reliant on just more technological prowess (those electromagnets of season 1 for example.

I AM NOW LESS DRUNK. But still in love with you all.

In other news, I decided that being intoxicated would be a good time to watch the Little Witch Academia documentary.

What a fantastic look into the production process. The mook the BD set comes with does a great job complimenting a lot of the stuff covered in the 60+ minute feature.

Everybody should watch this, fo sho.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kyousougiga (TV) Episode 0:

Right, with everybody raving about this show, today is the day I take it for a test drive, starting with the Episode OVA. Yea, this is certainly very random and surreal, but I can tell there is also a lot of stuff going on narrative and a bunch of dense symbolism is being thrown my way. Basically this show is the end result of FLCL and Utena The Movie having a progeny. Outside of that, I am uncertain what to think other then it actually took quite a few mental resources to pay attention to what is actually going on and now I am sleepy. I will watch Episode 1 later on today.

cajunator

Banned

In other news, I decided that being intoxicated would be a good time to watch the Little Witch Academia documentary.

What a fantastic look into the production process. The mook the BD set comes with does a great job complimenting a lot of the stuff covered in the 60+ minute feature.

I just preordered it finally. So excited for the release here.

Lain

Kill la Kill 2

First episode was crazier imo, but this was good still. I can see it as being one of the best show of the season.

Valvrave s2 ep1

Ahahaha, intergalactic
Vampires
uh. Dumb shit as the first season, but I'll keep watching.

Coppellion 1-2

I sort of like-dislike this. It really bothers me when the black lines become really thick. It makes me go WTF?!

Phi-Brain S3 ep1

Why a third season of this shit? "Why the hell are you watching it?" Because I'm a moron.
They could have picked better OP/ED for this, the ones in here are downright awful.

sonicmj1

Glad you got to check it out too. The documentary is a fun look at five aspiring animators realizing that they'll never match up to Yoh Yoshinari's unparalleled genius.

I need to take a closer look at the book again. It's loaded with stuff, but I just kinda looked at the pretty pictures for a while.

7Th

People wondering why the KLK OP was so cheap? Because it was missing half of it.
Otsuka revealed in his MachiAsobi talk that they cut footage from the version airing in episodes 2-3 because they wanted Satsuki's super-costume to debut in the show first; the full version will be shown on episode 4.

Samurai Flamenco Episode 1 – Debut of the Samurai Flamenco!
tumblr_muhcxplt0D1sydzi6o1_500.png
tumblr_muhcxplt0D1sydzi6o3_500.png

Perfect prompt...

There are actually people in this world who dont like to smile and stuff? How could anyone dislike a legit good anime?! This first episode was so good and left me all smiling and such the whole way through. Masayoshi has such high energy and is purely exciting all the time, and extremely sincere, and the way Goto is there to render commentary and start to somehow looking like he's feeling alive and changing his views made it a blast. I hope we keep getting his calls about screwing up and needing for Goto to help him out.

There were also no bad scenes, the opening scene, then apartment invitation, and sharing the secret with Goto and Goto alone. I was pleased. Also, the animators obsession with continuously giving them up close and personal encounters
more curry lines please

I think its really raised the bar for quality this season wherein nothing else can really compare on the same level as this and with 21 more episodes it will be the definitive anime of both seasons. I hope Aniplex USA definitely brings it to BD for us, looking forward to it and of course Valvrave.

cnet128

Banned
Fujimi Shobo has a special illustration at their Fantasia Bunko 25th Anniversary Festival, though it's a tad less impressive than the one at Dengeki Bunko's:

J8v3t6q.jpg

25 Fantasia Bunko heroines for the 25th anniversary, drawn by Full Metal Panic! artist Shiki Douji. How many can you identify?

Initially I thought I didn't recognise anyone in this picture. Eventually I managed to identify a few (I think that's Fino from YuuShibu over on the right, with Ai from KamiNai above her, and Natsume from Tokyo Ravens above her. Oh, and Tohka from Date a Live in the middle), but the artist's style is certainly obscuring them a lot more than in the Dengeki Bunko version.

Of course it doesn't help that I'm far less familiar with Fantasia Bunko series than Dengeki ones...

Theonik

People wondering why the KLK OP was so cheap? Because it was missing half of it.
Otsuka revealed in his MachiAsobi talk that they cut footage from the version airing in episodes 2-3 because they wanted Satsuki's super-costume to debut in the show first; the full version will be shown on episode 4.
So I was right in thinking this was not the final OP. HA.
They already showed the costume on the preview though.

Kaiji S2 - Episode 15

This was the most cringeworthy episode yet. Kaiji had to have
a needle go under his finger nail
... ouch. Kaiji definitely needs to kick Icijou's butt for that. That's some painful torture right there, I was
holding onto my fingertips
the whole episode because of that.

Galilei Donna Episode 1 – Galileo DNA

Decent at best, only picked up once the Bambina calling dude showed up, but even then never really took off. Confused on if this is supposed to be some serious sci fi affair or just some random
search for the treasure/inheritance comedy. If it can somehow work to bring Family Values involved and make this disjointed family closer somehow, then maybe it will be somewhat memorable at EoD.

Narag

Excellent because the OP presented was really lackluster.

DiGiKerot

The SLA mystery Film was
Yoyo and Nene
, if anyone is curious. Fuse is starting soon, though, so I'll write something a bit later.

fertygo

Excellent because the OP presented was really lackluster.

Eh, I think we already see the presentation.. 2-3 unveiled cut won't change the fact its pretty generic OP.

I have no problem tho its growing on me, n the final version even will a bit cooler.. its good.

Defuser

Outbreak Company ep 2

Wow this show is actually interesting if you ignore the silliness and it have some serious focus on the impact and exchange between the two cultures but the main problem is that the content of that exhange is Otaku culture.

Kill la Kill Episode 2 – So Sexy She Might Pass Out

Much better than first episode, the teacher scenes were most memorable, wow, and the lighting in that only enhanced it even more. Only issue I have with this anime is the outfit unfortunately and main character's best friend is utterly aggravating, thankfully, lady satsuki is there to get tons of time to immediately make me forgive them for having such an awful best friend in this.

Tennis match was good only for the sake of the Attack on Titan inspired from Guilty Crown song playing, and then that one that sounded like it was pulled right from Sengoku Basara s2 (same vocalists it seemed even), which made it more epic than it needed to be.
too bad we never get to see Uzu do anything :(

Grzi

BlazBlue Alter Memory - 01

Boring, stupid and extremely ugly. I'm mildly interested in the world (and also a masochist it seems), so I'll give it a few more episodes.

Silky

Banned
This is exactly what I expected: An MMO-Anime focused on the theme of being in an MMO.
I had a feeling there were no really big consequences regarding death
, and
the idea of the Player Killers being the real threat (for now)
will lead to a lot of good battles. This second episode feels more like a compliment to the intro where they introduce the viewer to the mechanics, compared to SAO where they constantly blazed through a lot of mechs for the sake of "story."

I'm really loving this. The battles are immensely satisfying even though it's basic introductory stuff. The trio cast has the right amount of chemistry when communicating so it doesnt feel like forced on slapstick/fanservice.

I think Shiroe is a very cool protagonist. He's an extremely stoic, and kind of 'blunt/to the point' person a good 80% of the show.

Shame the music doesn't develop anymore other than the OP of the show. (Which is pretty much summing up what you get from the show.)

I can't call it a guilty pleasure because...well, I genuinely enjoy it! :D

tumblr_mujsdehlSO1sq9yswo1_r1_500.gif

Akatsukiiiii <3

--

BlazBlue Alter Memory - 01

Boring, stupid and extremely ugly. I'm mildly interested in the world (and also a masochist it seems), so I'll give it a few more episodes.

Well the anime is covering Calamity Trigger, right? Calamity Trigger's plot is so fucking stupid.

Strike the Blood Episode 2 – The Right Arm of the Saint II

Fairly interesting action, but it really sticks close to being like A Certain Magical Vampire of sorts. Dont think Id fully have a positive or negative opinion on this yet until at least next week. Still worth watching.

cnet128

Banned
Kyousougiga TV 0

Even after watching the other ONA shorts that came after it and provide some background on the characters, my overwhelming impression here is still "I have no idea what the fuck is going on, but it looks cool".

The OP is pretty nice. Nothing amazing, but pretty nice. Likewise for the ED.

At the end of the day, this was totally worth it because it meant I got to see Random Passerby Little Girl again =p

...Now here's hoping the new material helps this show to actually make some kind of sense >.>

Jarmel

Banned

LOLOLOL

Well they did modify the TTGL OP a lot so I can't complain. Still doesn't fix the shit song though.

Shergal

Kyousougiga TV 0

Even after watching the other ONA shorts that came after it and provide some background on the characters, my overwhelming impression here is still "I have no idea what the fuck is going on, but it looks cool".

The OP is pretty nice. Nothing amazing, but pretty nice. Likewise for the ED.

At the end of the day, this was totally worth it because it meant I got to see Random Passerby Little Girl again =p

...Now here's hoping the new material helps this show to actually make some kind of sense >.>

Actually, I thought it made enough sense after the ONAs, but I went back to this after watching the first new episode and now I can tell what every scene is about. Pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom