• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
detective conan 710-711

Fun arc. cool they involve modern stuff like tablets in the crime even though getting to that resolution was iffy.

Also best ending.

cn.jpg

Kazuha's voice actor sounded odd that episode. Don't think it was a different person doing it though.

Jex

It's sort of a cumulative process now. I finish a show, I stick it on there. Unless it's a long runner, then I decide at 25 episodes, and adjust when I finish the show. I have it saved in a word file on my computer, so I just crack that open and jot down the new shows I finish. I also have my backlog in another word file.
I basically have a word file with all the anime I've ever seen in it but that's as far as I've got.
Also Jex, I really do need to see Getter. Once I finish Victory, Zegapain and Dual, I'm gonna sit down and watch Getter, Mazinger, and Macross. I might rewatch Zeta, too, but in Japanese, to see if I cannot improve my opinion of it.
Mhmm now that sounds like a good list. I can understand why you've invested so much time in the Gundam franchise, as many have (you gotta chatch 'em all) but overall I don't think the payoff is really worth it which is one of the reasons I've never even considered watching Victory Gundam.

Tenumi

Banned
*Sigh* Sometimes, I just have to give in to the ridiculous.

Kiss x Sis TV: 01

The story of the actually-not-blood-related sisters and their love for their younger(?) brother, Keita. 100% Parent approved. Yup, its one of those shows.

This should be fun...

Log horizon - 02

Well , one good thing about this show is that it's self aware of plenty of things.

I liked the fights , it was alright ...with plenty of explanations on how the game works ... i liked the fact that those characters are aware of some Real things on how humans behave within a game ...

This episode was indeed better than the first

Also :
tumblr_mujsdehlSO1sq9yswo1_r1_500.gif

Yeah this was alright ..

I must admit that i know about half of them , only ...

BluWacky

I'm hoping it'll get better on that regard, because it reminds me of ROD TV and my affection for it, although the comparison doesn't do much else in the way of favors for Donna.

That's a really apt comparison, except the characters are IMO a little less "extreme" than in ROD TV. I hope that, unlike ROD TV, it doesn't take half the series to become gripping while wallowing in irritating moe slice-of-life hijinks...

fertygo

Hajime no Ippo : Champion Road

As I thought they fucked up the event order, first minute of Kimura OVA already show this.. still good though, but what funny the refine of Sendo match frrom this movie looked better than the actual main match lulz.. oh well that fight was awesome afterall.

cajunator

Banned
That's a really apt comparison, except the characters are IMO a little less "extreme" than in ROD TV. I hope that, unlike ROD TV, it doesn't take half the series to become gripping while wallowing in irritating moe slice-of-life hijinks...

Oh man do I love that series, flaws or not. The slice of life stuff was just as enjoyable as the rest of it!

DiGiKerot

My Little Girlfriend Can't Possibly Be The Upside Down was... OK. I was expecting to be a little more overwhelmed, I guess, but a villain who comes across about as one-dimensional as Hamdou from NTHT kinda, errr, weighs proceedings down somewhat. It's a little odd given how overly hard it seems to be trying in some other elements.

The sense of weight in the animation is pretty well handled, though, even if the animation in general isn't particularly spectacular.

cajunator

Banned
My Little Girlfriend Can't Possibly Be The Upside Down was... OK. I was expecting to be a little more overwhelmed, I guess, but a villain who comes across about as one-dimensional as Hamdou from NTHT kinda, errr, weighs proceedings down somewhat. It's a little odd given how overly hard it seems to be trying in some other elements.

The sense of weight in the animation is pretty well handled, though, even if the animation in general isn't particularly spectacular.

Which show?

Jex

You're literally killing my buzz, man.

DiGiKerot

You're literally killing my buzz, man.

I don't know what to say - it's one of those things where it feels like they had a really good idea for a 30 minute short, and once they get out of that first twenty minutes, they struggle to find anything particularly meaningful to fill it out to movie length with up until the ending, so stick an almost comically evil antagonist in there just to pad the length. There's some really great visual gags and a few other neat moments, but it's just way longer than it probably needed to be.

CorvoSol

Mhmm now that sounds like a good list. I can understand why you've invested so much time in the Gundam franchise, as many have (you gotta chatch 'em all) but overall I don't think the payoff is really worth it which is one of the reasons I've never even considered watching Victory Gundam.

I feel like half the Gundam series is excellent and the other half is shit. And there're very little in the middle. Like, I think that MSG, 08th MS, 0080, ZZ, Unicorn, Turn A, G, Wing and SEED are worth watching. Stuff like Zeta, first season of 00, and the movies are okayish. No one should have to watch Victory, 00 S2, AGE, or SEED Destiny (although I have a soft spot for that last one.)

Like, I think Gundam has made its case to me and half the series will rank high with me forever. Once Victory is done, though, it's time to move on the rest of the pantheon.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know what to say - it's one of those things where it feels like they had a really good idea for a 30 minute short, and once they get out of that first twenty minutes, they struggle to find anything particularly meaningful to fill it out to movie length with up until the ending, so stick an almost comically evil antagonist in there just to pad the length. There's some really great visual gags and a few other neat moments, but it's just way longer than it probably needed to be.

The girl looks like Ranka Lee. Im interested.
Or a green haired Nagisa

LayLa

awww man, i had such high hopes for this after the preview ;_;

Monogatari Second Season 15

best arc since the original series,
Nadeko's spiral into outright insanity
has been fascinating to watch

If true that most of the film is banal, that would be unfortunate. I was hoping for a sci-fi character piece as thoughtful as Time of Eve was, and I found the Beginning of the Day segments intriguing, though they didn't reveal what the bulk of the film would be concerned with.

As a side note, it does feel like I see you say some form of "it was longer than it needed to be" about most films you watch.

DiGiKerot

If true that most of the film is banal, that would be unfortunate. I was hoping for a sci-fi character piece as thoughtful as Time of Eve was, and I found the Beginning of the Day segments intriguing, though they didn't reveal what the bulk of the film would be concerned with.

I didn't see any of the promotional material for Patema, and I've still not seen Time of Eve (got the KS BD coming at some point, so I'm holding off on it until then), so I can't really make a content comparison. I think some of the other guys I was with thought a bit more positively about it than I did, but no-one particularly digged what they were doing with the antagonist.

-edit- Yeah, taking a quick scan through the Beginning of the Day segments, they look to be literally the first twenty or so minutes of the movie, which is by far it's best content. Not to say that there's nothing of worth in the rest of the movie, but that's definitely the best of it.

As a side note, it does feel like I see you say some form of "it was longer than it needed to be" about most films you watch.

I am not unaware of the fact that I seem to say this a lot about new anime movies. I'd raise the same complaint about Eva 3.0 and Yoyo and Nene, if I'm honest (well, in the case of Eva, it's more that 2.0 would have covered the same content better in half the time). I sometimes wonder if, by the time people manage to work themselves up to movie director level in the anime business these days, people are just afraid to tell them to more aggressively edit their scripts. I don't really mind things being contemplative (I love stuff like Honneamise and mid-career Oshii), but when things start reiterating themselves or dragging out scenes to the point of being heavy handed, I think it's a bit of a problem.

Strangely enough, though, I was totally OK with the running length of the Haruhi movie, and that was, what, almost three hours long? Conversely, the Index movie was probably too short, given it feels like they forget to include half the cuts from the movies climax.

Finalow

KLK 2
yeah, it's stupid (or funny, you could say) but I'm liking it. I don't even mind all that fanservice.

Samurai Flamenco 1
meeeh.

Valvrave 13
boo, that fight with Cain was shit and not much has happened after that. anyhow I'm waiting for haruto to rape l-elfu.

Dokidoki precure - 35

Daily reminder that you all need to brush your teeth, otherwise you'll get cavities.

DokiDoki%21_Precure_35.jpg

makopi actually acting like a normal girl

It's now painfully obvious that

Aguri is the queen soul, while ai is the queen powers , all separated from her body ..

At least be a little more stuble in your hints , toei ...

I didn't see any of the promotional material for Patema, and I've still not seen Time of Eve (got the KS BD coming at some point, so I'm holding off on it until then), so I can't really make a content comparison. I think some of the other guys I was with thought a bit more positively about it than I did, but no-one particularly digged what they were doing with the antagonist.

-edit- Yeah, taking a quick scan through the Beginning of the Day segments, they look to be literally the first twenty or so minutes of the movie, which is by far it's best content. Not to say that there's nothing of worth in the rest of the movie, but that's definitely the best of it.

Well, thanks for the info; good to have proper expectations, at least. This is Yoshiura's first true feature film, since Time of Eve was originally a series of shorts, so I can see him stumbling in constructing a narrative over a longer length than he's used to.

I am not unaware of the fact that I seem to say this a lot about new anime movies. I'd raise the same complaint about Eva 3.0 and Yoyo and Nene, if I'm honest (well, in the case of Eva, it's more that 2.0 would have covered the same content better in half the time). I sometimes wonder if, by the time people manage to work themselves up to movie director level in the anime business these days, people are just afraid to tell them to more aggressively edit their scripts. I don't really mind things being contemplative (I love stuff like Honneamise and mid-career Oshii), but when things start reiterating themselves or dragging out scenes to the point of being heavy handed, I think it's a bit of a problem.

No, I get where you're coming from, I just found it a bit funny. Honestly, I feel like bloat is something of a problem in Japanese long-form narratives in general, at least from my experience with them. Concise, precise storytelling isn't that common.

I think the recent film that impressed me the most in terms of being exactly the right length was the Blue Exorcist movie.

Strangely enough, though, I was totally OK with the running length of the Haruhi movie, and that was, what, almost three hours long?

Now this I find really funny, since I find Disappearance to be a quintessential example of a movie that goes on for way too long. Pretty much the whole hour after
Kyon presses the Enter key
feels anticlimactic and draggy. Redline is another example of a movie that went on for way too long, though that had more severe flaws.

Dresden

hajime no ippo rising - 02

These first two episodes really would benefit from being shown at once. Together it's one solid hour of drama, action, etc. I appreciate the way it's structured, how the bout at the end loops back into the introduction, but it loses some of its impact when the episodes are spaced apart by a week or more.

Still, good stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, she looks pretty Ranka-ish. She's pretty "moe", as some might say, as well.

Moe is good. Moe is life.

Movie lengths seem to be increasing a lot lately. Maybe its more epic movies and such but it seems a lot more normal to have a 2.5 hour movie than a 1.5 hour like used to be standard.

Guys help I keep spending money on trainer things and not Pokemon things.

You need to post a pic of the trainer.

tumblr_static_tumblr_muh413h6ua1rfyejmo4_r1_250.gif

Kill la Kill 2

Opening: Poor
Ending: Okay.

It's becoming pretty apparent two things that I'm starting to hate about this series. First, is some of nonsense that's supposedly funny, but it really isn't. The biggest offender to this and the worst of them currently, is Mako. I said in my first impression that she could become one of the funniest characters in the show, or one of the worst. Unfortunately, it seems she's becoming the latter. That entire scene with her family in the first half and her antics in this episode, was just not that good nor was it a pleasure to watch. There really isn't a point to her character besides being the friend to Ryuko.

Another problem I have is with the unnecessary Ryuko fanservice. I'm all for watching shows that have ass shots in front of the screen and skimpy outfits, but in a show like this, it really is out of place.

Still enjoyed the episode mostly because of the stellar second half that consisted of that amazing tennis match and the best character in the show/newest husbando of the year candidate: Sensei.

White Album 2 2

I continue to be pleasantly impressed by the protagonist. In these sorts of stories the male lead is usually a hapless pervert, or an indecisive wimp, or an insensitive jerk, or some combination of the above. It's rare that I can look at him and see why the girl would fall for him.
That stunt he pulled at the end was idiotic, but I have to admire his gusto.

Hiding Touma's face from the audience until the end didn't actually hide any information for the audience, since any half-observant viewer will make the connection, but it did make for a strong emotional moment when it's finally revealed at the end, almost as strong as the end of the first episode. As a musician, I find the idea of meeting by accompanying each other through the walls of adjacent practice rooms very romantic.

So yeah, this is a familiar kind of storytelling but so far it's quite well done for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom