• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the earlier subject of longer shows: Pretty much none of those shounen nonsense shows other than Gintama since it's more comedy than battle stuff (although those parts are pretty great) can keep my interest for so long, and I've also been watching Space Bros since it aired and I don't think I've ever been disappointed with it so far.

CorvoSol

If you're not interested in watching people talk, I can certainly see why you wouldn't be interested in Samurai Flamenco.

When did I ever say I wasn't interested in watching people talk and why are you so defensive about this? I loved Flowers of Evil and there was basically nothing but talking going on.

I'm not interested in watching people watch TV.

Pooya

Main problem with Samumenco's first episode is... that nothing really happens. It's just a very basic setup, I can't tell what I should expect from this series yet so I'm holding on it. I'm looking at the main cast and we've only seen 2 of them, I can't really tell how one can claim they love it or hate it based on this first episode unless you really really dig certain themes presented like being a super hero?... it's just about two people meeting for the first time.

One episode is just too little to judge it, same goes for other seemingly premature and too harsh impressions I'm seeing for other shows.

Going to stick with "3-episode rule" on this one. Some series do have a strong first impression and you can tell what you're in for just from 1 episode. Like Kill la Kill and Gundam Build Fighters, you either like it or don't and it's obvious what's it about. I can't say the same thing about Samurai Flamenco, there is just too little yet, if that makes it a poor first episode I don't know. I wasn't bored watching it but I'm not terribly excited about it either.

When did I ever say I wasn't interested in watching people talk and why are you so defensive about this? I loved Flowers of Evil and there was basically nothing but talking going on.

I'm not interested in watching people watch TV.

I didn't mean to come across as defensive; sorry if I gave that impression. I was just trying to say that the first episode of Samurai Flamenco is built on the conversations between the two leads, and if you don't find that interesting you're certainly not going to like the show.

LayLa

I can see how people would assess Masayoshi as having delusions of grandeur, but I don't think he's particularly self-absorbed - quite the opposite. If he was self-absorbed he wouldn't be trying to make the world a better place as Samurai Flamenco - admittedly his attempts are ineffectual and somewhat misguided, but his heart is in the right place, as his monologue towards the end of the episode shows.

beating up people who want to smoke on the street or whatever while wearing a fancy costume is all about satisfying his own ego, if it was really all about "justice" he would do it anonymously with no costume or fancy name.

CorvoSol

I didn't mean to come across as defensive; sorry if I gave that impression. I was just trying to say that the first episode of Samurai Flamenco is built on the conversations between the two leads, and if you don't find that interesting you're certainly not going to like the show.

Their conversations would've been more interesting to me if they'd had any real meaning, but basically the first guy's dialogue was lifted entirely from Izuru from MJP and the second guy wasn't much less generic. There was nothing to hook me. As miladesn said, nothing happens, and I don't feel much of consequence was said.

Heh. And thats purely what its about, and it goes for it pretty hardcore. Pulling up this side of hentai. I found it repellant and yet could not look away. I guess like watching a car accident.

image.php

Almost like you're doing on purpose.

beating up people who want to smoke on the street or whatever while wearing a fancy costume is all about satisfying his own ego, if it was really all about "justice" he would do it anonymously with no costume or fancy name.

Considering that Masayoshi is a model, with his name and face prominently displayed in magazines and TV shows, donning the costume and name of Samurai Flamenco makes him more anonymous than if he was doing these things in his street clothes.

Their conversations would've been more interesting to me if they'd had any real meaning, but basically the first guy's dialogue was lifted entirely from Izuru from MJP and the second guy wasn't much less generic. There was nothing to hook me. As miladesn said, nothing happens, and I don't feel much of consequence was said.

That's where we'll just have to agree to disagree! If I'm fine with most people in here liking a show that I don't like, I'm certainly fine with most people in here disliking a show that I like.

Dresden

amusement (and insight into their characters) is what it 'happens,' and is of consequence. It's definitely mundane, but the whole premise of the first episode is easing the viewer into these mundane, ordinary lives, where even the heroism is mundane. i found the pair's banter charming and it's what made me finish the episode, despite some quibbles i have about the rest of the show.

i nearly died of the moe when masayoshi brought back the dry cleaning

Gazoinks

White Album 2 1 - Not an awkward post title at all

A competent lead in a school romance? What is this?!

This was sweet, liked it more than I expected to. As a music nerd, I like the "accompanying each other from opposite rooms" thing. I like that the main character isn't your standard pathetic spineless romance lead, and I like that the whole thing feels pretty low key. Of course we'll see whether or not it stays that way. Will watch second episode tonight.

This is a weird thing to focus on, but I liked the way they animated blinking...

CorvoSol

amusement (and insight into their characters) is what it 'happens,' and is of consequence. It's definitely mundane, but the whole premise of the first episode is easing the viewer into these mundane, ordinary lives, where even the heroism is mundane. i found the pair's banter charming and it's what made me finish the episode, despite some quibbles i have about the rest of the show.

i nearly died of the moe when masayoshi brought back the dry cleaning

I guess? But if the point of the show is to be as mundane as possible, I don't think I'll stay with it for very long. If it's about boring people with boring lives, I can go and find those in the millions outside of my house.

I actually thought the show's production values were great. It was the writing that stunk. Two dudes meet and hang out watching TV. YAY.

I thought the dialogue was pretty good. It's a very solid comedy.

Granted, I probably wouldn't have given this a shot at all if it weren't for the homoerotic undertones. I do, on occasion, need some :DTL to watch. I'm just happy it doesn't suck (so far).

Dresden

I guess? But if the point of the show is to be as mundane as possible, I don't think I'll stay with it for very long. If it's about boring people with boring lives, I can go and find those in the millions outside of my house.

well, hey, that's totally up to you. i think the difference between our receptions of the show is that i didn't find the characters boring, and you did. there's a joy in observing the mundane after all, it's basically modern pop-lit in a nutshell.

Tenumi

Banned
I feel like I may have unintentionally started something with a certain series I began watching today....

Fanservice has no cringing effect on me, nor does the plot premise. I feel broken in a way, in that I have no issues or qualms watching such a series.

Episode 2 should be fun tomorrow.

LayLa

Considering that Masayoshi is a model, with his name and face prominently displayed in magazines and TV shows, donning the costume and name of Samurai Flamenco makes him more anonymous than if he was doing these things in his street clothes.

find it hard to believe anyone would stay anonymous for long in that costume, and of course he was immediately telling his life story to the first person who found out. he could have easily picked something a bit less conspicuous to wear and still hidden his identity. and not told a cop who he was.

CorvoSol

well, hey, that's totally up to you. i think the difference between our receptions of the show is that i didn't find the characters boring, and you did. there's a joy in observing the mundane after all, it's basically modern pop-lit in a nutshell.

Well, I've only seen one episode so far, so I don't want to rush to condemn it as awful. I don't think it particularly appeals to me so far, but I've seen so much bad anime that it'd be unfair of me not to give the show a fairer shake than one episode. I haven't really read anything about this show and I went into it blind, and didn't know anything past the name, so I dunno. Plus since I've never seen stuff like Kamen Rider, I likely won't relate to that.

But yes, I'd say that after one episode I was not really hooked in by the characters or the plot.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I feel like I may have unintentionally started something with a certain series I began watching today....

Fanservice has no cringing effect on me, nor does the plot premise. I feel broken in a way, in that I have no issues or qualms watching such a series.

Episode 2 should be fun tomorrow.
You're not really narrowing it down here.

Dresden

Well, I've only seen one episode so far, so I don't want to rush to condemn it as awful. I don't think it particularly appeals to me so far, but I've seen so much bad anime that it'd be unfair of me not to give the show a fairer shake than one episode

i'm not going to attack you or anything if you drop it now, i'm not in love with it, and i drop things at ep1 all the time. just discussing!

Chuck

Still without luck
Kuroko 27

Little bummed we didn't see much of Tatsuya. Also, Murasakibara creeps me out a little.

Looking forward to Akashi next episode.

CorvoSol

i'm not going to attack you or anything if you drop it now, i'm not in love with it, and i drop things at ep1 all the time. just discussing!

No, I know, it's just in the past I have made some hasty calls on shows and turned out to be wrong. So I'm gonna give this some time.

Ace of the Diamond 2
tumblr_mul2isgE6N1r60zuio1_500.gif

I think the eyes are worth mentioning too in this good episode as whoever is behind the scenes for this makes all the pitching and batting scenes quite intense with the facial expression, the smoke going on, and just how powerful the impact is. The batters face too in the moments was extremely memorable and almost scary even. It was a sight to see.

Only foreseeable issue is that at the rate this is going in terms of progress
he may not even be pitching until way far in the series, especially if hes starting on the bottom of the team based on the preview comments I think. Unless theres some weird circumstance to fast track him up there

Emotion is done well too especially all second half through end.
Best line for personal tastes.

Gazoinks

I'm sure once the drama kicks in he (and the rest of the characters) will have moments of looking pathetic, but right now it's pretty refreshing.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with looking pathetic for dramatic moments, that's just good ups 'n downs. It's just when their whole personality is about being insufferably pathetic. If anything, there's more impact to a fairly straight upstanding guy breaking down than one who's already halfway there.

Kansoku

Pokemon Origins - 1~4

11/10. I wish that the Pokemon anime was like that. The battles were amazing. I could not believe when
,on the Elite 4 summary, Scyther was walking on the roof and the walls. I said holy shit. It was just a second, but oh boy.
If they don't want to make the mainline anime like this, then at least I hope they do more specials covering Gold/Silver/Crystal and Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.
Fuck Diamond and Pearl, and Black and White is too recent

NeonZ

Kyousougiga (TV) Episode 1:

So the show goes and lays all the cards right before the viewer. I suppose it was needed but I protest the notion that Episode Zero lacked sense on its own, you just had to pay attention. Indeed, paying attention is what this series is about, and it makes for some mental exhaustion. This was serviceable episode but I am not super enamored with the series thus far either. A fine show but dear god is it overrated.

What is up with people following the tv series but refusing to watch the ONAs?

Gazoinks

What is up with people following the tv series but refusing to watch the ONAs?

Well, they're covering the same story right? I didn't watch the ONAs (aside from the original) cause I figured if they're going over the same things again I didn't really want to get spoiled.

Back from NYCC. I saw like a jillion Mikasas (alongside a bunch of Asunas from SAO). A lot of them really pulled off the look well and some were super cute. I also got cat ears from Nintendo's booth so I could be moe.

Sorry if I'm unintneilliglbe right now, because I am REALLY tired, which is essentially the same as drunk the way I operate.

Jintor

Okay, Kill la Kill, you are fucking stupid in the most entertaining of ways.

At least your fanservice is equal opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom