• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Kill la Kill definitely wants to be a comedy. Unfortunately the humor all just strikes me as infantile rather than actually funny. It's the same problem I had with Panty and Stocking.

I kinda don't get the same infantile vibes from Kill la Kill I do Panty and Stocking. I do get the same vibes I got from TTGL's comedy bits.

I really need to get around to watching Utena one of these days.

Is that day RIGHT THIS SECOND? Because it should be.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
KLK ep2 gave me Inferno Cop vibes more than any of those shows, but maybe that's just because of the way they do stuff on the cheap.

But yeah, another important point is that KLK has an Akio.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Actually, the speculation earlier that KLK is chaotic good vs lawful evil makes a lot of sense at this point, and it would be represented in their suit styles.

Kill la Kill definitely wants to be a comedy. Unfortunately the humor all just strikes me as infantile rather than actually funny. It's the same problem I had with Panty and Stocking.

Yep, felt the exact same way with both shows. The humor in both falls flat most of the time so they bore me.

No. Oreimo the mildest thing ever compared to this.

http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=7593

Given the pure rage things like SAO and Oreimo generate on animegaf, I've so wanted to see the animegaf reaction to this.

Yeah, because something like that is so much more straightforward about it, people who wouldn't want to watch that (like me) would never watch it in the first place. I thought that Oreimo was that straightforward from the beginning as well, but a lot of people didn't for a long time, which is why it became so controversial. But Kiss x Sis? In some ways it's worse, but it's also so much simpler and more obvious in its point that only people who want to watch that kind of thing would ever start it in the first place. That doesn't apply to SAO, and only partially to Oreimo.

Also, Kiss x Sis the stupidest you can think of, anime incest-wise? Try Angel Sanctuary. It's one of the worst animated things I've ever seen, and it's several levels above Kiss x Sis on the incest-meter. Or there's also that twincest anime (I forget the name offhand), of course. Etc etc etc.

And like "gamers stuck in a game" anime from back in the days, this one also doesn't really bother explaining why they're stuck. SAO tried their best and I applaud them for it, heck the first story arc was fantastic, but then they recycled the idea over and over again (FOR YOUR COUNTRY KIRITO-KUN!)

Like I said the change in protagonist class does wonders for this to feel refreshed. It's by no means amazing but like others have mentioned, it's like an enjoyable cartoon you watch saturday morning and then go on with the rest of your day.
I know it was said before, but yeah, you should not be applauding SAO for that, or anything else. That disaster of a series deserves no praise...

As for that specific point, though, that Log Horizon and .hack have unexplained "stuck in a game" settings is a plus for them. Since it's left unexplained and semi-mystical, you don't have the problem that SAO has. I mean, in SAO, there's no actual plausible reason to beleive that scientists or something couldn't have figured out -- and probably fairly quickly -- how to detach people from those headsets and disable the kill system. Only very flimsy bad writing (which the whole series is, of course) explains that away, but in reality, that would NOT happen, they'd have saved most of those people. But in .hack or Log Horizon? Who knows how it happened! It's basically magic. When you're dealing with this kind of premise, that's the better way to keep people stuck in the game long term, I think.

mAcOdIn

Actually, the speculation earlier that KLK is chaotic good vs lawful evil makes a lot of sense at this point, and it would be represented in their suit styles.
That's only if you:
a) pick and choose which of the bad guy's uniforms you compare Ryuko's to, as some are more clothed than others

and

b) actually associate skin with, uh, morality, alignment, or whatever.

I do think that the school's standard 1 star uniform is in line with your theory somewhat, it even fits into the concept of a uniform really I just don't think it fits well because outside the idea that they are in uniforms I think the individual uniforms are done mostly for design purposes.
When you're dealing with this kind of premise, that's the better way to keep people stuck in the game long term, I think.
Does it even need to be long term? Think about it, if you don't show the outside world and the passage of time is it not possible that their brains are running through the days ingame at a much faster rate than the standard 24 hour clock? In other words, how fast do you dream?

Articalys

I hate how noitaminA started in the second week of the season. If it wasn't for that, I would have a nice Wednesday-to-Tuesday weekly run of series to keep them all at the same episode number.

Well, I guess Kyosogiga technically would have ruined that anyway, but I hadn't seen the original pilot episode in so long that it counted as new enough for me so to hell with their official numbering.

Does it even need to be long term? Think about it, if you don't show the outside world and the passage of time is it not possible that their brains are running through the days ingame at a much faster rate than the standard 24 hour clock? In other words, how fast do you dream?

That is true, but these shows usually show the outside world once in a while too, and make it clear that time seems to be passing at the normal rate. I guess that could be different in Log Horizon though, I don't know. But sure, that is something a series could do sometime, potentially, I guess. I don't really know how fast people dream, though...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's only if you:
a) pick and choose which of the bad guy's uniforms you compare Ryuko's to, as some are more clothed than others

and

b) actually associate skin with, uh, morality, alignment, or whatever.
It's undeniable where Ryuuko's suit stands from a traditionalist perspective. The point is that she's disregsrding that in total contrast to Satsuki.

I do think that the school's standard 1 star uniform is in line with your theory somewhat, it even fits into the concept of a uniform really I just don't think it fits well because outside the idea that they are in uniforms I think the individual uniforms are done mostly for design purposes.
Satsuki DID make that speech about the meaning of militaristic school uniforms. :p

Hajime no Ippo Rising 2

Well that was a short fight, but damn, those punches weren't pulled... mostly. Maybe.

Not feeling the soundtrack very much though.

Madoka Magika: Hajimari no Monogatari (Movie 1)

So after watching the series I couldn't just leave it at that knowing that there's already two movies out plus a third one on the way.

For being two hours long the movie did a great job in covering eight episodes in a condensed format. Being a movie the animation was superb and the background scenery was very detailed throughout. The series was already fluid imo and the movie is just so much better in that regard.

There was things left out of course but they were very minor and nothing of importance (or even semi-importance) was cut out except the particular scene of
Sayaka's turning into a Magical Girl where in the series it had the shadows of both Sayaka and Kyubei extended to the setting sun with Kyubei's shadow resembling a nine-tailed fox of sorts.
In the movie this entire scene is left out.

Music was great though I was surprised they changed it regarding
Sayaka's transformation into a witch scene. I prefer the one in the series but the musical piece in the movie matches up to where the grief seed is formed.

Anyways with only 4 episodes left and another movie to cover it, can't wait to see how it is done.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel bad for skipping like 30 pages of the thread, but c'est la vie... of course, I still haven't really watched any new anime, so that probably doesn't help matters.

Anyhoo, Space Brothers answered the language question this week:
mdKIqNel.png

I can't remember if the NASA lunar program is working with the Russians though, because otherwise, there'd be no reason for Hibito to learn Russian or train on a Soyuz unless he was doing an ISS mission. Also, I guess because of Gravity, it's weird how China has basically been absent in this universe.

And because this is anime, here's hoping he doesn't hook up with the 16 year old. lol

---

KKK fin
joWGB0ul.png

Ah, fake lesbians.
aY6R0Pnl.png

Meta jokes about production.

I'll miss the show. It's not perfect, and I actually think the cast might be all amateurs or something, but short of Gintama, I haven't really had this much "random" fun with a gag anime. Even trolling with episode 11 being the "final" episode was cute.

The three people here who watched it definitely can back me up anyway. lol

---

Also, I just want to say, if all shounen sports shows were like Ron Howard's Rush, I would like them so much more. It's hilarious how shounen it is, complete with the how the two "shounen leads" fall into particular tropes and have non-homoerotic brolust for each other. Perhaps being a movie helps with allowing them to focus on the drivers being human beings and not have 90 minutes of races. :p

CorvoSol

KLK ep2 gave me Inferno Cop vibes more than any of those shows, but maybe that's just because of the way they do stuff on the cheap.

But yeah, another important point is that KLK has an Akio.

If there's an Inferno Cop character thrown in I will put forward that all Imaishi shows are in the same continuity: Panty and Stocking failed to help the Real God stop the Southern Cross from turning Inferno Cop into a Real God. As the peak of human evolution, Inferno Cop's ascension drew the attention of the Anti-Spirals. The Anti-Spirals fail their first attempt to destroy humanity, which a young Lord Genome witnesses. All of Earth begins developing into a militaristic, Spiral society, hence the spiral towers from the start of Gurren Hen, and also the Spiral nature of the city in Kill la Kill. Eventually, Satsuki and her kind manage to lift a successful number of humans to the status of Spiral Warriors, including a student at one of the academies, one Lordgenome. He rises to the rank of greatest Spiral Warrior, has his mind blown by the Anti-Spiral Life Form, and ends the Spiral resistance. His memories of Satsuki's rhetoric concerning humans being pigs in men's clothing leads to his creation of Beastmen, and the stage is set for one Simon the Digger to start clawing his way up.

YES. IT IS ALL CLEAR TO ME NOW.

Bellydancing.
Nope! I've got The Big O and some new shows right now. :p

Dude, if I saw the end of Utena and the end of the second season of the Big O on the same night, I don't think I would still be sane. You should do it.

It's also a recurring theme in Imaishi's stuff. The daemon sisters in Panty and Stocking are evil, and yet are all about RRrrrrrules. Inferno Cop is the hero and we all know how he feels about logic and coherence. In Gurren Lagann, the villains are the ones who are trying to impose order onto nature: the Anti-Spiral Life Form, Lord Genome, and to a much lesser extent, Rossiu.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's also a recurring theme in Imaishi's stuff. The daemon sisters in Panty and Stocking are evil, and yet are all about RRrrrrrules. Inferno Cop is the hero and we all know how he feels about logic and coherence. In Gurren Lagann, the villains are the ones who are trying to impose order onto nature: the Anti-Spiral Life Form, Lord Genome, and to a much lesser extent, Rossiu.
Yup, was just thinking this. It really shouldn't be surprising.

cajunator

Banned
I feel bad for skipping like 30 pages of the thread, but c'est la vie... of course, I still haven't really watched any new anime, so that probably doesn't help matters.

Anyhoo, Space Brothers answered the language question this week:
mdKIqNel.png

I can't remember if the NASA lunar program is working with the Russians though, because otherwise, there'd be no reason for Hibito to learn Russian or train on a Soyuz unless he was doing an ISS mission. Also, I guess because of Gravity, it's weird how China has basically been absent in this universe.

And because this is anime, here's hoping he doesn't hook up with the 16 year old. lol

---

KKK fin
joWGB0ul.png

Ah, fake lesbians.
aY6R0Pnl.png

Meta jokes about production.

I'll miss the show. It's not perfect, and I actually think the cast might be all amateurs or something, but short of Gintama, I haven't really had this much "random" fun with a gag anime. Even trolling with episode 11 being the "final" episode was cute.

The three people here who watched it definitely can back me up anyway. lol

---

Also, I just want to say, if all shounen sports shows were like Ron Howard's Rush, I would like them so much more. It's hilarious how shounen it is, complete with the how the two "shounen leads" fall into particular tropes and have non-homoerotic brolust for each other. Perhaps being a movie helps with allowing them to focus on the drivers being human beings and not have 90 minutes of races. :p

Dead eyes and faux yuri. Its moe by the numbrrs.

Gazoinks

If there's an Inferno Cop character thrown in I will put forward that all Imaishi shows are in the same continuity: Panty and Stocking failed to help the Real God stop the Southern Cross from turning Inferno Cop into a Real God. As the peak of human evolution, Inferno Cop's ascension drew the attention of the Anti-Spirals. The Anti-Spirals fail their first attempt to destroy humanity, which a young Lord Genome witnesses. All of Earth begins developing into a militaristic, Spiral society, hence the spiral towers from the start of Gurren Hen, and also the Spiral nature of the city in Kill la Kill. Eventually, Satsuki and her kind manage to lift a successful number of humans to the status of Spiral Warriors, including a student at one of the academies, one Lordgenome. He rises to the rank of greatest Spiral Warrior, has his mind blown by the Anti-Spiral Life Form, and ends the Spiral resistance. His memories of Satsuki's rhetoric concerning humans being pigs in men's clothing leads to his creation of Beastmen, and the stage is set for one Simon the Digger to start clawing his way up.

YES. IT IS ALL CLEAR TO ME NOW.

It almost makes too much sense!

Dude, if I saw the end of Utena and the end of the second season of the Big O on the same night, I don't think I would still be sane. You should do it.

Kind of want to do this now.

CorvoSol

Yup, was just thinking this. It really shouldn't be surprising.

And at last a justification for watching Panty and Stocking has presented itself to me.

It almost makes too much sense!

Kind of want to do this now.

Also watch all of Evangelion. If you watch the last two episodes of EVA or End of Evangelion, the last two episodes of Utena, and the last two episodes of The Big O all in one night, nothing will be real to you.

DO THIS FOR SCIENCE.

mAcOdIn

It's undeniable where Ryuuko's suit stands from a traditionalist perspective. The point is that she's disregsrding that in total contrast to Satsuki.
But is she? Is either of them? Satsuki's handing out equally "lewd" uniforms here.
Satsuki DID make that speech about the meaning of militaristic school uniforms. :p
What I mean though is that that their school uniform's are based on military uniforms is kind of irrelevant because you can't even have a uniform without order or "law" in this case so by default they represent order, if there was no order there'd be no uniforms at all.

But really, the series has been hitting everyone over the head with fascism since the first episode, even the sparkly teacher talked about it twice in the first episode. I don't think your interpretation of the theme is wrong I just don't think the design of the uniform's are a factor.
That is true, but these shows usually show the outside world once in a while too, and make it clear that time seems to be passing at the normal rate. I guess that could be different in Log Horizon though, I don't know. But sure, that is something a series could do sometime, potentially, I guess. I don't really know how fast people dream, though...
Hmm, see, I don't watch those type shows. Oh well.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
And at last a justification for watching Panty and Stocking has presented itself to me.
In my opinion, PSG was fairly hit and miss. Pretty much on the same level as Nichijou.

Also watch all of Evangelion. If you watch the last two episodes of EVA or End of Evangelion, the last two episodes of Utena, and the last two episodes of The Big O all in one night, nothing will be real to you.

DO THIS FOR SCIENCE.
You forgot the Utena movie.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
But is she? Is either of them? Satsuki's handing out equally "lewd" uniforms here.
Which ones are these?

What I mean though is that that their school uniform's are based on military uniforms is kind of irrelevant because you can't even have a uniform without order or "law" in this case so by default they represent order, if there was no order there'd be no uniforms at all.

But really, the series has been hitting everyone over the head with fascism since the first episode, even the sparkly teacher talked about it twice in the first episode. I don't think your interpretation of the theme is wrong I just don't think the design of the uniform's are a factor.
It's all about emphasis. :p

CorvoSol

In my opinion, PSG was fairly hit and miss. Pretty much on the same level as Nichijou.

You forgot the Utena movie.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii am still not that big on the Utena movie. I prefer the series, although I guess the ending of the Utena movie would be pretty great for a crazy break down.

CorvoSol

AnimeGAF you are a bad influence on my innocent soul.

If we were trying to corrupt you, we would have recommended you watch School Days and Sword Art Online.

Instead we're recommending things that will make you better, stronger, a more viable member of the species.

mAcOdIn

Which ones are these?
Well the first boxer dude's uniform was actually more revealing but I guess because of gender roles that's more acceptable or something? But that's the problem I have with trying to tie the uniform's design into a representation of chaos versus law when the character representing law is the one handing them out and they seem to be based on function, well, an exaggerated stylized type of function. Makes me think that if there was a "hooker" club and Ryuko was a member that Satsuki'd have given her an outfit not unlike the one Ryuko's already wearing!

If, on the other hand the uniforms were more, uh, uniform, then I would find your argument more powerful.

CorvoSol

Well the first boxer dude's uniform was actually more revealing but I guess because of gender roles that's more acceptable or something? But that's the problem I have with trying to tie the uniform's design into a representation of chaos versus law when the character representing law is the one handing them out and they seem to be based on function, well, an exaggerated stylized type of function. Makes me think that if there was a "hooker" club and Ryuko was a member that Satsuki'd have given her an outfit not unlike the one Ryuko's already wearing!

If, on the other hand the uniforms were more, uh, uniform, then I would find your argument more powerful.

Barring the Club Leaders and Student Council, though, the uniforms she shows the sewing club working on are very uniform. The one-star or whatever the dude steals at the beginning is very uniform. Char's custom Zaku is still a Zaku, though.

Gazoinks

Barring the Club Leaders and Student Council, though, the uniforms she shows the sewing club working on are very uniform. The one-star or whatever the dude steals at the beginning is very uniform. Char's custom Zaku is still a Zaku, though.

It seems like the One-stars are all the same and only two and up get custom uniforms.

If we were trying to corrupt you, we would have recommended you watch School Days and Sword Art Online.

I like to think I wouldn't fall for such an obvious trap. You'd have to recommend something obscure and horrible. :p

Think of us like Ozu from The Tatami Galaxy.

Well, as long as you're just teaching me to enjoy life.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Dude, it's boxing gear. Boxing. Not even with the robe off. Your objection here makes no sense.

mAcOdIn

Dude, it's boxing gear. Boxing.
But that's my point! If every uniform two stars and up is based on function then what they look like doesn't matter! It's not a statement.

Further, Ryuko's uniform is still a sailor uniform so she's actually still in proper uniform too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom