• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Finally Getting Around To Watching These First Episodes Throwdown

Kyokai no Kanata 1

Not actually as bad as I expected it to be, but not great either. The writing's pretty flat so far, and neither of the protagonists interest me much yet. As has been mentioned a lot previously, Mirai's character is sacrificed way too much in favor of fulfilling some kind of moe quota. Also, Akihito's glasses fetish was played up a little too much. Felt like they were trying too hard to give him a character trait. It also feels weird how... almost casual the supernatural elements feel. There's no outsider to them in this show, everyone's already familiar with it, and it's kind of jarring because Akihito is just like "Yup I'm an immortal" and everyone else is just kind of "Yeah alright". Nice animation though. Don't plan on following it, but I'll keep an eye on reviews.

Log Horizon 1

This was pretty charming. It's nice to see a lighter touch brought to this sort of setting, and the protagonist being a strategist is pretty cool. Not mindblowing or world-shaking, but pretty fun and one I'll be watching. The Saturday morning cartoon comparison is apt.

Gundam Build Fighters 1

This show makes me want to buy models and I neither buy models nor know Gundam. This was pretty good, especially for a merchandising show. Cool mech battles, characters seem decent if fairly standard. Probably won't follow this show simply because I feel like there's other Gundam I should watch first if I'm gonna do Gundam, but I might check it out again later. I could see getting tired of it as it goes on if it sticks to the standard Shonen formula for this kind of show.
I thought Sei was a girl for the first half of this episode.

And! finally! I think!

Golden Time 1

Pleasant. College setting is nice, characters seemed likable. I chuckled at some of the jokes, but nothing really hit me. Overall it felt solid to me, but I didn't feel inspired enough to add it to my actively watching list. I'll probably watch the second episode soonish, but unless that one ignites my interest more I'll be watching casually.

I think that's all the shows I was interested in this season down. Except Pupa... So final season list:

Yes Awesome Good Times Tier:
-Kill La Kill
-Kyousougiga

Hey This Is Better Than I Expected Tier:
-White Album 2
-Log Horizon

Watching Casually Tier:
-Gingitsune
-Golden Time

Wait and See Tier:
-Coppelion
-Samurai Flamenco

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh Tier:
-Kyokai no Kanata
-Galilei Donna

GUNDAMU TIER:
-Gundam Build Fighters

Was It Ever Here At All? Tier:
-Pupa

Gundamn Build Fighters 1

It's nice that I can watch it on the PS3 youtube app for what its worth on their official youtube channel. It was a good first episode; as cheesy as it was anyway. Already a Gundam fan so this is up my alley sorta.

I think the biggest thing I want from this going forward is for the Tallgeese and Alex Gundam to show up at some point :x

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
But that's my point! If every uniform two stars and up is based on function then what they look like doesn't matter! It's not a statement.

Further, Ryuko's uniform is still a sailor uniform so she's actually still in proper uniform too!
STOP. I'm not ABF. I'm not going to fill pages of text being led on a rhetorical wild goose chase with you.

Boxing gear isn't lewd because it's the accepted way of dress for a boxer, much like the skirt on the Tennis uniform. All of these uniforms do not clash with norms. You're getting hung up over a total distraction.

CorvoSol

My best friend watched the first ep of Kill la Kill and the first thing she said to me was "Dem Utena vibes."

Hells to the yeah.

Your friend is a good person.

STOP. I'm not ABF. I'm not going to fill pages of text being led on a rhetorical wild goose chase with you.

Boxing gear isn't lewd because it's the accepted way of dress for a boxer, much like the skirt on the Tennis uniform. All of these uniforms do not clash with norms. You're getting hung up over a total distraction.

I'm hung up by sensei's distracting abs. Oh lawdy.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 15

Ojamajo Doremi Mother's Days episodes > Precure Mothers Day episodes. Although that goes without saying I guess.

The way things started off, you think Hasabe's mother was a hooker at night. Well she's not, but it seemed weird at first, but, like other Doremi episodes, context comes in later.

I like how Seki encouraged to kids to beat the shit out of each other... because they weren't going to do it.

ooCjhTO.jpg

HAHAHAHA Oh wow.

Well anywho, that was a good episode
and it was my weakness. I think this is part of the reason why it's hard for me to marathon it. When it hits my weakness, it's like, I need to take a break to regather my composure.

CorvoSol

So I've been playing Kid Icarus uprising and I cannot stand the camera in this game. Like, first it won't move enough, then it moves too much. GUH. I wish it had been better implemented, because half the time I'm so busy trying to get it to cooperate that an enemy is behind me.

Also Magnus is Jecht.

mAcOdIn

Hey now, all my posts have been short! If you want to up it to pages and pages of text that's on you lol.

What I'm getting at is this:
1st) I find it a little silly to associate skin, unwillfully shown skin at that, as a symbol of defiance towards order, especially when the show wants to show the character naked anyways.

2nd) If the uniform's function first and foremost defines what it is allowed to look like then isn't it conceivable then that Ryuko's uniform is actually also acceptable within it's designed purpose and thus within the rules and actually not in violation of the order?

That's my problem with trying to find two tiers of law here. First law of a uniform is that they're uniform but then this show does away with that, or should I say expanded on that when it allowed each role to have it's own uniform(not uncommon) and made that an acceptable school uniform as well(not too uncommon either really although getting to wear them to all classes is unique in some cases).

The theme of the show is clearly chaotic good versus lawful bad, I think that's obvious, I'm in total agreement with you even. But to say that the uniforms represent that I think's taking it too far because the main character is still in uniform herself, and it's design mighty actually be related to its function as much as any of the others.

So I've been playing Kid Icarus uprising and I cannot stand the camera in this game. Like, first it won't move enough, then it moves too much. GUH. I wish it had been better implemented, because half the time I'm so busy trying to get it to cooperate that an enemy is behind me.

Also Magnus is Jecht.

Go to the menu to tweak it?

Andrew J.

Honnouji uniforms are white with some blue, Senketsu is black with some red.

White with blue is law and black with red is chaos, if the boxart of SMT IV is anything to go by.

mAcOdIn

White with blue is law and black with red is chaos, if the boxart of SMT IV is anything to go by.
Err, actually, if Hito's talking about color more than skin I'll agree with him. But don't tell him that, I wanna see if he'll go up to ABF level post lengths.

CorvoSol

Go to the menu to tweak it?

I didn't know I could. I'll have to try.

I always trust box art.

If only I could get an actual response or rebuttal instead of "BUT THE PURPLE ELEPHANT".

Hey I made vital contributions to this discussion by pointing out nothing of importance.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I kinda get what mac is getting at (I think) at how weird it is to have non-standard uniforms. Probably why those people have been club members thus far to justify it.
But that doesn't address my point at all, and furthermore, he doesn't seem to understand the ways a show can comment on an issue.

Samurai Flamenco 01

So I totally enjoyed that. I get when people compare this show to Kick-Ass but right now I'm digging the interactions between the cop and the sort of earnest kid like naivety of the other protagonist. Will continue to watch.

Samurai Flamenco 01

So I totally enjoyed that. I get when people compare this show to Kick-Ass but right now I'm digging the interactions between the cop and the sort of earnest kid like naivety of the other protagonist. Will continue to watch.

Who compared this to Kick-Ass, and can I press charges?

EDIT: Ugh, I feel terrible. Sick to the stomach. Bleh.

Who compared this to Kick-Ass, and can I press charges?

EDIT: Ugh, I feel terrible. Sick to the stomach. Bleh.

Like a bunch of people ...

Image two is where I realized Samurai Flamenco was probably going to be generic garbage/ a less interesting fujoshi-bait retread of Kick-Ass.

Image three is where I put it on the "I guess I'll watch this" list of horror, along with that thing where she eats her nee-san.

Maybe. I'm hoping Samurai Flamenco does a 180 as I don't need Kick-ass-oniIsama.

These are the days I miss my anime lover.

GINTAMA. WHERE ARE YOU.

Samurai Flamenco 1

I thought this was going to be a legit super hero show, not an adaptation of Kick-Ass.

Samurai Flamenco 1

This is so far my biggest disappointment this season. BUT plenty of shows have recovered after a lackluster episode 1. I'm willing to give the show another 2 episodes to hopefully turn into what I thought it would be.

As of right now seeing such a weakling main character is a huge turn off, especially after that intro. If this is gonna be one of those delusion stories where he never achieves the greatness he wants (aka Kick-Ass), then no thanks. Come on Durarara/Baccano guy don't fail me.

Also as much as I love Gintoki's voice actor his voice should be kept strictly for ultra comedy shows.

Samurai Flamenco Episode 1:

Not going to lie, this is my greatest disappointment for the Fall season as I was expecting an over the top action sentai romp or something to do with actual superheroes. What I got was the the incredibility bland adventures of Captain PSA with a quite a bit of UST thrown in the mix. This show is distinctly lacking in both armored troopers from Medieval Japan and exotic Spanish dancing. I may give this show one more chance but dear god is it on thin ice when it is making Kick-Ass look dignified.

and I hope you feel better.
:(

That sucks. :( I just got over about a month of being sick and stuff always goes right to my stomach, and it always sucks. Hope you get better soon.

This one isn't quite as serious
hopefully
, and I think this one was more of my undoing than the acts of the higher ups.

I'll be fine tomorrow, but until then, I just feel terrible, combined with my lack of sleep (due to excitement of Pokemon Y, and staying up to the point of where I was hungry over night), and yeah, might end the night early or something.

Grzi

Kuroko No Basuke S2 - 02

A setup episode basically, but it still managed to be great, we're getting hyped up for new opponents, see glimpses of new techniques, all the makings of a great shounen.
The bear scenes managed to make me laugh, which was nice.
Can't wait for the games to start, it will be glorious.

mAcOdIn

But that doesn't address my point at all, and furthermore, he doesn't seem to understand the ways a show can comment on an issue.
Understand or find relevant? Not sure if relevant is the word I'm looking for her but, to me, I think the importance of her uniform is on par with any other standard hip/cool/toocoolforschool character who wears their uniform with the shirt untucked or some crap. I mean, sure, that's a dig at authority, at expressing your uniqueness in a sea of conformity and meant to establish a bit of the character's rebel personality visually but it's such a standard practice across the board that I wouldn't think to tie it to a grander theme. Since this is a medium that thrives on delivering the same setting over and over, the same characters over and over and providing the viewer with the same fanservice over and over I'm more apt then to say it's the reverse and that the theme just happened to coincide with the fact they were already going to show you a half naked rebellious female character.

Because to me a standard student coming to school with a giant weapon already is a visual and physical representation of chaos. Ryuko's colored streak in her hair is also a visual representation of chaos. Ryuko picking a ifght the first day was pretty chaotic. Ryuko coming to school in her civilian clothes the first episode was a visual sign of chaos. Literally anything short of putting Ryuko into the standard Honnouji uniform is technically a visual sign of chaos. Now, I already said that I do actually agree with it being chaotic good versus lawful evil but here's why I hate trying to say what is and what isn't a visual hint, because of the story in this show Ryuko was not going to get a Goku uniform, right? Just wasn't going to happen. So either she'd have to be uber enough to kick everyone's butt in a standard school uniform or she'd have to get an alternate uniform. The theme already is chaotic good versus lawful evil so at that point any clothing she wears to a school with a uniform dress code would be a check in the chaotic side. The question is is that by design? Did the character design effect the scenario, did the scenario effect the character design and what was the intent? I can't say.

Now, I have already stated that I thought you were originally referring to the uniform's shape, I think there's no connection there, I think they just wanted to show some fan service however I will cede the color suggestion.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
*facepalm*

While the color point is interesting, it's not what I was talking about.

Also, stop basing arguments on the shit translation CR is putting out.

Jex

[Monogatari S2] - 15

Snake girl getting the best arc in a -monogatari series? What the heck is this world coming to!

Anyway, this was certainly the most interesting and well executed arc in some time. Good job SHAFT!

No, seriously, this isn't a joke or anything. This was actually pretty great.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
macodin, so...

...basically you're saying that posters in the anime thread don't use anime avatars because they are already showing their fandom by posting in the thread, and even if they did such avatars wouldn't have anything to do with their fandom.

mAcOdIn

*facepalm*

While the color point is interesting, it's not what I was talking about.
Well, while I don't mind ending this here......
Also, stop basing arguments on the shit translation CR is putting out.
What the heck is this supposed to mean? For one, that's a pretty rude thing to say without saying where to watch or what is wrong, not that I care honestly about being wrong or take offense to that myself but my stance is pretty much not reliant on a text translation anyways so I don't see how my argument is based off of anyone's translation! Unless Crunchyroll visually edited some scenes or something.

Would make more sense if you just told me to STFU or something. :shrug:

Jex

Hajime No Ippo: Rising 2

Oh man, I was almost tearing up after that match. Something about that Shimabukuro, a character who's basically only been in 2 episodes, is just so wonderful.

UNyWGcp.jpg

SO SIMPLE YET SO GEWD!

Edit: It seems as if the pace in this fight was massively rushed from the manga, which is a shame, but the end product here is still good. Believe me, this is no Zetman. Now *THAT* was rushed to the point of ruining the series
Sometimes I'm not that bothered by faster pacing. I don't necessarily need to see one episode of training and one episode of them talking about the fight before they actually get in the ring to duke it out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
[Monogatari S2] - 15

Snake girl getting the best arc in a -monogatari series? What the heck is this world coming to!

Anyway, this was certainly the most interesting and well executed arc in some time. Good job SHAFT!

No, seriously, this isn't a joke or anything. This was actually pretty great.
Liiiiies!

Sadly, I'd rather watch Gravity again than any boring 2d anime. :(

Jex

[Samurai Flamenco] - 1

duckrollwasright.jpg

This was a pretty entertaining first episode. As others, even those who enjoyed the episode, have noted the production values aren't particular strong and I can see why that might put some people off. However, what I really enjoyed was the characters and their humorous interactions with each other. Which is good, because that made up the vast majority of the episode.

I didn't really have any specific expectations for this show because I hadn't really paid any attention to the preview material so I can imagine people who thought this might be a 'real' superhero show might feel disappointed or misled. All I knew is that it was a noitaminA show and that used to mean a certain kind of series, a series that was different to the kind of material you'd find elsewhere in anime and that often. Therefore I was perfectly open to the idea that this might be a series where people just talk to each other and the quality of their interactions will dictate whether or not you like the series. I happened to find the leads to be charming and funny so of course I enjoyed the episode.

I don't really know where the show is going, as such, but that's fine by me too. I'm perfectly happy to sit back and let the series take me where it wants to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom