• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
OniAi? Which was that? *looks it up* Oh, that 'My little sister is among them' thing.

Nonono, "My little sister is among them" was NakaImo. OniAi is the "He's my brother, but as long as there's love it's OK right?!" one.

Not that I can blame you for getting confused. These incest shows do blur into each other a little =p

but AO aside I got Kokoro Connect finally and this is really the greatest thing :D

Trufax.

Nonono, "My little sister is among them" was NakaImo. OniAi is the "He's my brother, but as long as there's love it's OK right?!" one.

Not that I can blame you for getting confused. These incest shows do blur into each other a little =p
Oh, okay... they definitely blur together. The absurdly long LN names combined with confusing short abbreviations doesn't help either, for sure... but as for OniAi, I don't think I watched it at all. Not interested. I may have read a chapter of the manga version, not sure. These things are too similar to tell apart easily...

Jex

Looks more like a lighting issue.

I dunno, compare the building here

oldippo141qsg0.jpg

and here:

Drawing background art for and interior or exterior is one thing, but making it looked live and real, with dirt and rubbish and use, takes for more effort. You have to go in and add lots more detail than simply having a clean box.

As I happened to re-watching the original Hajime no Ippo series I thought it might be interesting to briefly compare it to the new installment, Rising, in terms of both series visual presentation.

The original Ippo series aired in 2000 and was produced by Studio Madhouse. By the looks of it they were sill animating it on cells. The new series, Rising, is also produced by Studio Madhouse but as it's been over a decade since the original series it would come as no surprise to find that there's not much staff overlap between the two works.

In terms of background art, both shows look fairly attractive:

The real differences lie in the character animation. The characters in the new series have fairly wooden expressions, except during battle, where as the original characters were far more expressive:

vs.

There's an exaggerated, cartoony quality to the expressions in the original series which make the characters more interesting to look at.

In terms of action, both shows use speed lines and shading in the place of fluid animation for budget considerations. The new series also uses motion blur to imply movement which I'm not a huge fan of.

The original series also makes use of high detailed close ups for important actions which I find to be very effective:

Anyway, perhaps the most importance difference lies in the musical score and that's something I can't demonstrate in my post. The original soundtrack is excellent and I've found the most recent Ippo series so be sorely lacking in the sound department.

You know, I never really noticed the whole facial expressions thing, but then again, it's been almost a year since I watched Ippo (wow, it has really been that long...) I would think part of it would be more due to how it was cartoony due to Ippo's growth and placements in the boxing world or whatever, but then I recall it still being rather cartoony even in the manga, so I'm not sure about that.

The lines do give it that rush of intensity that motion blur just doesn't give, and instead gives it that hot steamy look of two men going at it in the ring in front of a lot of people.

But yeah, that musical score.... wasn't a fan of New Challenger's score, not fond of Rising's score right now.

Oh, okay... they definitely blur together. The absurdly long LN names combined with confusing short abbreviations doesn't help either, for sure... but as for OniAi, I don't think I watched it at all. Not interested. I may have read a chapter of the manga version, not sure. These things are too similar to tell apart easily...

The main difference is that "Oniai" is totally self aware and isn't trying to hide his intentions behind some stupid justification that bring the show down ...as a result oniai is actually enjoyable... totally different than the other anime that i couldn't watch past ep 1.

The real differences lie in the character animation. The characters in the new series have fairly wooden expressions, except during battle, where as the original characters were far more expressive:

There's an exaggerated, cartoony quality to the expressions in the original series which make the characters more interesting to look at.

I think it'd be difficult to do the kind of expressions you extract from the original series today without being a self-conscious throwback to the 80s and 90s. For whatever reason, that cartoony style has been out of vogue for a long time now.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm not a fan of how clean the art in the new series looks, nor do I like how harsh the colours are. There's no warmth to them at all.

Look how shiny and new the gym looks in RIsing compared to the original series where it's dirty and gritty. Even the punching bags are shiny.

This is the expected result of comparing cels vs. digital. The industry in general has gotten much better at digital composition since those awkward early years, but it'll still naturally come across as more shiny and artificial. You have a make a strong effort in art direction to avoid that, either by taking advantage of how bright and clean digital art is to create an eye-catching visual style (Eccentric Family) or by having very detailed and subtle art direction that softens the overall look (Hyouka).

Jarmel

Banned
I dunno, compare the building here

and here:

Drawing background art for and interior or exterior is one thing, but making it looked live and real, with dirt and rubbish and use, takes for more effort. You have to go in and add lots more detail than simply having a clean box.

Well in that comparison, the top image has more uniform lighting throughout compared to the bottom image where the light source is coming from the top. The lighting looks fairly artificial on the bottom image. I do agree that the first image looks more worn down such as the paint falling off on the walls.

It's bad in video games too.

Depends on who is using it. Stupid shit affecting the camera is a bigger issue (like blood splatter crap).

Always hated the blood splatter on screens in video games as well. Makes me feel fat because they keep slathering jelly on the fucking screen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can't work up the energy to watch something legit, so I scrubbed through one of the haremshits from this season, Walkure Romanze.

YDYur6Ul.png

Pqsr9Mkl.png

fASsqSHl.png

f9GYLzIl.png

See, this is typical haremshit that's just terrible for the sake of being terrible. IS season 1 thumbed its nose at this bullshit, but IS season 2 is steeped in this crap. I think the guy in this show also got slapped like 5 times this episode, because double entendres and misunderstandings are really the only "beats" a haremshit is allowed to have.

I really, really want to watch Gravity again :(

Branduil

Can't work up the energy to watch something legit, so I scrubbed through one of the haremshits from this season, Walkure Romanze.

See, this is typical haremshit that's just terrible for the sake of being terrible. IS season 1 thumbed its nose at this bullshit, but IS season 2 is steeped in this crap. I think the guy in this show also got slapped like 5 times this episode, because double entendres and misunderstandings are really the only "beats" a haremshit is allowed to have.

I really, really want to watch Gravity again :(

So what is actually happening here?

The main difference is that "Oniai" is totally self aware and isn't trying to hide his intentions behind some stupid justification that bring the show down ...as a result oniai is actually enjoyable... totally different than the other anime that i couldn't watch past ep 1.

On the note of self-aware, even though I think incest as a theme is unbelievably stupid, I did find Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne kind of amusing. It was bad, but it was kind of funny-bad, and did seem at least somewhat self-aware of itself... at least the anime did, anyway. That anime I actually finished.

Jex

I think it'd be difficult to do the kind of expressions you extract from the original series today without being a self-conscious throwback to the 80s and 90s. For whatever reason, that cartoony style has been out of vogue for a long time now.

At least Doremi has filled that whole in my heart that crazed interesting expressions.

Nordicus

The real differences lie in the character animation. The characters in the new series have fairly wooden expressions, except during battle, where as the original characters were far more expressive
I'm sorry, but there's no way you're not cherrypicking here. If you're going to use Takamura as comparison for facial expressions, then at least use Takamura from scenes when he's supposed to have an expression of any kind

Hajime No Ippo: Rising's art is pretty much identical to the art they used in New Challenger, you'll find plenty of comparison material there. I agree with your general opinion but c'mon man. you've got Takamura and gang being calm/serious in one, then intently watching something and/or shouting in another

On the note of self-aware, even though I think incest as a theme is unbelievably stupid, I did find Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne kind of amusing. It was bad, but it was kind of funny-bad, and did seem at least somewhat self-aware of itself... at least the anime did, anyway. That anime I actually finished.

Pretty much that ... it wasn't the brightest anime of his season but there was clearly moment of fun to be found inside. The fact that the MC is purposely hidding information to his sister was the proof needed to know that they clearly knew ( the writters ) what they were doing .

----------------
Phi brain S3 - Kami no puzzle - 02

Phi%20Brain%20-%20Kami%20no%20Puzzle%20S3%20-%2002.jpg

Loving this eye catch

It's not easy for a female character to just punch her entrance in such a casting the way ratsel did , and she did beautifully ...
I was actually quite happy that my prediction on the room puzzle was wrong ... i'm very happy because i didn't pick the 2nd set of hints and it was actually clever.

As for the other puzzles , i think they need to stop on the english hints ..it's clever , especially for the japanese that don't know english , but 2 episodes in a row ? Don't over use that guys.

Other than that , the rest of the episode was perfect , from Ana & cubic having "fun" after the puzzle to gaimon realising (again) his shortcomings.

i wonder how much bounty is on freecell or rook ? Lol gaimon , you sure have some mountain to climb.

Jex

I'm sorry, but there's no way you're not cherrypicking here. If you're going to use Takamura as comparison for facial expressions, then at least use Takamura from scenes when he's supposed to have an expression of any kind

Hajime No Ippo: Rising's art is pretty much identical to the art they used in New Challenger, you'll find plenty of comparison material there. I agree with your general opinion but c'mon man. you've got Takamura and gang being calm/serious in one, then intently watching something and/or shouting in another

Hey, I've just been images from the current season! I can't even remember much about New Challenger.

Mature

Light dilapidation on walls being "too much effort" is a sad prospect.

Gingitsune - 02

I'm giving a chance to this series, but nothing, surely I will drop it in the third episode.
It's SoL, which isn't my favourite genre, but the problem here is the execution, it just not good enough. The direction is plain and boring, the characters are predictable and their problems mundane and empty, the dialog is mostly unengaging, the setting just doesn't feel special or noteworthy.

Ace of Diamond - 02
It's looks like a really average sport (baseball) series. It smells like one, it behaves like one, it sounds like one. Friendship, shounen spirit, rough character but with promising talent, characters crying and being exaggerated in general, and I suppose in the future we will have training episodes, stern trainer, conflicting characters, budding friendship and teamwork, and tense baseball matches.
It's not like the series is bad, but it also doesn't give me any reason to watch it.

In both cases, there is a lack of comedy that would make them more appealing and more easy going, instead of trying to focus so much in very silly dramas in the first episodes already.

Articalys

Phi Brain S3 ep.2

Man, I really hope Minori Chihara is actually the final boss and they won't pull a bait-and-switch with Jouji Nakata, awesome as he is.

Looks from the preview we're going to get
some psycho Jin
next episode, which should be interesting (and
give Takehito Koyasu a chance to show off
).

cnet128

Banned
Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono 2

So I actually paid attention to the OP lyrics this time and realised that they're kind of like an anime OP version of this song. This show is definitely the successor to Kitakubu's "lol that's so meta" crown.

As for the actual content of the episode, it followed almost exactly the same formula as the last one, except this time on the topic of football clubs. Formulas are good when they work, and I think this one does. I feel quite confident that this show will continue to amuse me for the remainder of the season.

(And the hole-digger position on a football team should totally be a thing XD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom