• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
Walkure Romanze 2

A lot of accidents like this.

tumblr_mumjdv9USN1qzk4cro1_500.png

Show is okay.

Meganebu! Episode 2
tumblr_mumldfYTEO1syb4mfo5_250.gif

First Beyond the Boundary, and now Meganebu! with the dudes placing their hands on each others sides, please deliver more this season, canon otp even here. Then again both Hayato and Mitsuki are obsessed with Soma still, so that route :( First half was hilarious because Im a Hayato fan and he is just amazing. His voice actor really delivered in this one since it was so wordy and his laugh is just amazing. I could listen to it all day.

Second half was alright though carried well by its music, the ost is a must have as the vocalists are amazing. Tempted to use the All you need is M E G A N E song for a ring tone...

Jarmel

Banned
Giant Robo-The Day the Earth Stood Still
They chocked so bad in the last few minutes. Everything about this show was amazing. The art direction was a throwback to the 70's and 80's, which was interesting. There were some references to Egypt as well, which is highly unusual in anime, such as Big Robo's design and the Big Sphere. The direction itself was phenomenal with great use of certain visual styles such as plentiful use of postcard moments to highlight either historical events or at the climax of certain moments. It never feels out of place and doesn't distract from the show itself but it does highlight certain things and really adds a certain level of flair to the production.
There was really solid use of depth of field during the production. For example there was a shot in one of the earlier OVAs where an out of focus street is used for transition purposes into another shot. The transitions themselves were overall amazing throughout as well. It helped add a good sense of control to the show from a directorial standpoint. Then there was the fantastic storyboarding such as the shot below:
The show above obviously representing the character's desire to destroy the Giant Sphere not only through his words but also visually through the representation of the sliced Giant Sphere reflection. There were also shots like this:
This being another metaphor for the destruction of the Giant Sphere's Eye through the representation of Genya covering his left eye.
The animation itself really was spectacular all throughout as it's pretty fluid and there's a good sense of weight to the stuff with the mechs such as Giant Robo. It feels really dynamic in the battle scenes while also still maintaining a lighter tone despite the material it covers, mostly due to the lack of gore and blood.
I'll be frank, I'm not a fan of the character designs mostly because I don't really like the designs pre-80s. That said, they utilized the character designs and the expectations of the audience in a very clever way with the design of Professor Franken Von Vogler.
He looks like a traditional mad scientist so the audience assumes that along with the information given, there is no reason to suspect an 'unreliable narrator' type scenario to occur.
I really liked the story, up until the last ten minutes. Then things become much more messy in regards to character consistency and incomplete storylines. They introduced certain things in regards to Big Robo and it's pretty much just dropped. We also get the traditional nonsense of 'Wait till next time where the true plot occurs'. I liked a lot of elements of the story prior though such as the expansion of both sides of the conflict such as with Big Fire. I just viewed this as another traditional world domination group and the internal struggle displayed in episode 6 really helped to flesh them out especially in regards to Alberto. There was also a good sense of death around the show that helped to give stakes to the battles as a whole. You got a good sense of the characters and their personalities in the time amount slotted. They even touched on nuclear fears, something central to Japan, in the show and it's interesting is that it's used in a juxtaposition manner portraying it in a positive light. I thought the two main themes central to the story such as growing up and idealization of fathers was handled fairly well although I do think the latter was a bit too 'happy'. The show was mostly about family, both blood related and not, and it raised certain questions on both sides that didn't have a clear answer(which is good). It helped to paint the whole thing in a tinge of grey although some of the latter stuff, due to the consequences of Genya's actions, pretty much still makes Big Fire the clear villains. There was also some really good character development and growth of not just Daisaku but some of the other side characters as well.

I also never got a good solid answer as to why nobody didn't crack the the third sample the moment they thought they knew what it could do or even prior.

I went in expecting not to really like this due to the designs and came out with a very good impression of it due to the great directorial work and some of the story beats. It's just the ending left a somewhat sore taste in my mouth.

Also I picked up on this Star Wars throwback:

Jarmel

Banned
based imagawa

It's really solid visual work. Some of the transitions blew my mind. Just there are some writing issues that I have qualms with.

Edit:Ah I see, he did Berserk.

Well that explains the ending. I'm going to be pissed if he pulls this shit with Shin Mazinger Z though.

Narag

Well that explains the ending. I'm going to be pissed if he pulls this shit with Shin Mazinger Z though.

Well, read at your own risk:
He does but it's a call back to the original show where Mazinger gets replaced by Great Mazinger. Every day I pray he gets to make a Shin Great Mazinger but as they say, it's nice to want things.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
At a time when most animes character design celebrated Arian beauty, Utena's design flexed its unconventional chops by embracing and exploring the dark and exotic. There's a concept floating around there that I which I could source correctly but it escapes me at the moment but the gist of it is that people tend to admire those who have dominated them. I've heard the idea used to describe many societies with predominately dark skin who are obsessed with (or even just favorably accept) the idea of bleaching one's skin for beauty being linked with western colonization. The Japanese twist on this is less skin-focused and more hair and eye color focused. I can think of a literal handful of anime that try to buck this trend but it seems to be diminishing by the decade.

What do you guys think on the subject?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It's a harem anime, what do you think? lol

Well, I mean sometimes they put real effort into these "accidents". Then there's Mayo Chiki where the main dude falls on Subaru and it's like her clothes exploded open for no reason whatsoever. XD

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, I mean sometimes they put real effort into these "accidents". Then there's Mayo Chiki where the main dude falls on Subaru and it's like her clothes exploded open for no reason whatsoever. XD
Oh man, I wish someone would gif this moment, but there's a really stupid scene in the anime where the girl is running around with a jousting lance and basically upskirts all the other girls at the school. It's so dumb. lol

Defuser

Thanks for reminding me there's no second season for Mayo Chiki.

Gazoinks

Gingitsune 2

This show continues to be a good feel-good show. I liked that the problem in this episode was a very mundane one. The writing was a little obvious in places: "Oh hello I am Saeki's father let me tell you the moral of this episode", and I've never liked the trope of the pure evil group of school bullies (although it wasn't terrible in this episode, it just stood out a little to me). Overall though, a nice episode.

Plot twist:
It goes A Beautiful Mind and it turns out Saeki is schizophrenic.

RurouniZel

Oh man, I wish someone would gif this moment, but there's a really stupid scene in the anime where the girl is running around with a jousting lance and basically upskirts all the other girls at the school. It's so dumb. lol

Wait, what? LOL

Thanks for reminding me there's no second season for Mayo Chiki.

I know, I'm sad too. :/

I believe those are known as "happy accidents"

Indeed. XD

The novel ends in the most stupidest way possible anyway. :p

Oh man, did it pull an OreImo?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, what? LOL
Maybe you should watch episode 2. Although I'm sure someone will gif it eventually. It makes the accidents in To Love Ru seem plausible. :p

Oh man, did it pull an OreImo?
Naw, nothing that bad, as you can see:

spoiler tags please. I need to know how that ends.
Basically, the guy ends up working as a Butler for the ojou so that the harem can continue and nothing is really resolved. I believe the sister ends up working as a maid too. lol

mAcOdIn

So, now that my vacation has officially started, yay, I decided to watch more crap because I got nothing fun to do but get a hiarcut and clean. Boo. Anyways, this time I really watched some freaking crap.

Infinite Stratos 2 - 2 I think the first episode was a slap in the face to fans of these characters but this was a return to form for the characters so I guess all is well in the IS universe, or as well as it could be considering the show sucks. Moving on, we're introduced to a new hot shot pilot girl who's actually amusing in some ways and manages to push Charlotte down a ranking to claim the number two spot for best girl in IS right behind Ichika's sister. That's about the only positive thing in the episode. On the flip side seems that Ichika's class is going to do a maid cafe next episode and these dweebs think Ichika could be a butler. Right.....

Moving right along the crap tier

Galilei Donna - 1 Is this the unofficial anime sequel to Johnny Mnemonic I never asked for? Seems like it with it's talking goldfish as a spaceship copilot. I don't really get the opening, they wanted to destroy this facility so they deploy some giant robots from way high up to crash down, shoot some missiles and then fly back up. Couldn't they have just bombed it from the air? It's like the show just wanted to show some crappy mechs. After that stupid scene we're introduced to the three sisters who are all silly, some lame villains and then the talking sentient goldfish. It's good to have an imagination but seriously, some things should just stay there.

My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy - 1 Man these titles are getting lazy! The Yukihira girl's pretty cool but this idea will seriously be wasted if the ending of the first episode is indicative of the direction. This is probably the best worst show I've watched this season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Infinite Stratos 2 - 2 I think the first episode was a slap in the face to fans of these characters but this was a return to form for the characters so I guess all is well in the IS universe, or as well as it could be considering the show sucks. Moving on, we're introduced to a new hot shot pilot girl who's actually amusing in some ways and manages to push Charlotte down a ranking to claim the number two spot for best girl in IS right behind Ichika's sister. That's about the only positive thing in the episode. On the flip side seems that Ichika's class is going to do a maid cafe next episode and these dweebs think Ichika could be a butler. Right.....
Even mac loves Russia. lol

My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy - 1 Man these titles are getting lazy! The Yukihira girl's pretty cool but this idea will seriously be wasted if the ending of the first episode is indicative of the direction. This is probably the best worst show I've watched this season.
What is the premise of this show anyway? "Mental choices" seems vague!

RurouniZel

Maybe you should watch episode 2. Although I'm sure someone will gif it eventually. It makes the accidents in To Love Ru seem plausible. :p

Naw, nothing that bad, as you can see:

Basically, the guy ends up working as a Butler for the ojou so that the harem can continue and nothing is really resolved. I believe the sister ends up working as a maid too. lol

Um... wow. To Love Ru plausible by comparison? Goddaaaaamn.

And yeah, sounds like typical LN ending alright.

mAcOdIn

Even mac loves Russia. lol
She's supposed to be Russian? Well, she's a troll so she's cool.
What is the premise of this show anyway? "Mental choices" seems vague!
Basically, this guy proceeds through life like normal but every once in a while his brain gives him two choices to choose from that are usually both bad and unless he goes through with one of them he gets a sharp pain in the head. Well, until the end of the first episode then it gets dumber when
he gets a choice between an ugly girl and a pretty girl to fall from the sky and one actually does so it's implying now that his condition isn't a mental disorder really and something more, which makes the series a little more boring to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Basically, this guy proceeds through life like normal but every once in a while his brain gives him two choices to choose from that are usually both bad and unless he goes through with one of them he gets a sharp pain in the head. Well, until the end of the first episode then it gets dumber when
he gets a choice between an ugly girl and a pretty girl to fall from the sky and one actually does so it's implying now that his condition isn't a mental disorder really and something more, which makes the series a little more boring to me.
I guess I shouldn't ask for logic in anime. lol

Gazoinks

She's supposed to be Russian? Well, she's a troll so she's cool.

Is it based on a VN? It seems like it's kinda spoofing that whole mechanic.

Silver fox - 02

My mind is now full of good feeligns..

There is just too many moments where i smiled during this episode.

This anime is really nothing special , but i sure need a good dose of gentle feeligns once a week ...

MOAR

cajunator

Banned
Silver fox - 02

My mind is now full of good feeligns..

There is just too many moments where i smiled during this episode.

This anime is really nothing special , but i sure need a good dose of gentle feeligns once a week ...

MOAR

Her seiyuu is the one from Kotoura isnt it?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Non Non Biyori - 01

Maybe it's due to the recent shows we've been getting that had high energy and constant gags that caused me to take some time to open up to this. The beginning felt really slow at first, and honestly continues that way throughout the rest of the episode. It wasn't until I was halfway done did I get some HidaSketch vibes from the pacing and general manner of its presentation. At that point I realized this is a kickback show, something to marathon while you relax in a nice comfy chair or bed. Characters are interesting (youngest girl is absolutely adorable) and love the visuals. Will continue watching.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
See, this is typical haremshit that's just terrible for the sake of being terrible. IS season 1 thumbed its nose at this bullshit...
I think these shows have probably driven you mad if you think IS wasn't the same.

Strike the blood - 01

It's alright .

It's not cute , it's not great , it's not that original , it's not that greatly animated.

But it's not bad (yet)....

I feel like this anime will only manage to hold me long enough if the first arc trully show some potential in the mecanics and the character relationships.

Actualy aside from the flashback confirming the initial premise , i haven't learned much ... so here we go episode 2 i guess ?

Gazoinks

The Big O 5

I can't get over the OP being "inspired" by the Flash Gordon theme. It's great.

This was a good episode, getting in some feels at the ending there. This is another case where I'd have liked to learn a little more about Bonnie, because
the switch from vengeful killer to softie
seemed a little sudden. Good all in all though.

The Big O 6

This was also a good 'un. Finally got a Dorothy episode like I wanted, and it was also good on them feelings. The whole giant robot thing seemed sort of... out of place here? I like what they did with it and how it was Instro's conflict, but I wasn't sure why it was there in the first place.
So did Amadeus build it to attack Paradigm? Or did the other scientist build it?
It seemed like it was missing clarification about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom