• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That fantasy anime trend of suspiciously modern "fantasy" worlds is a definite part of that problem; somehow anime/manga writers don't seem to understand that you can't have feudal Middle Ages stuff and modern technology ("it's magic" or "it's technology", either way the tech is the same) happily co-existing... but somehow they write things that way, again and again and again. It's really, really stupid.

So its only anime that can't have this modern tech/medieval hybrid theme?

Games such as Warcraft, Guild Wars, and League of Legends would like a word with you.

Someone should send a letter to Blizzard.

Warcraft 1 was fine, no out-of-place technology there, but yeah, they did start running into trouble when Warcraft 2 added warships with cannons on them, but somehow there were no cannons or guns on land other than cannon towers... now, early guns were big and bulky and were more likely to be cannons, but they DID start doing small hand-cannons and the like from fairly early on. So WCII was somewhat defensible... as long as you ignore those blimps and flying machines and submarines. "Gnomes and dwarves and goblins have better tech than humans" may be true, but that's one big tech gap! :p WC3 was only slightly worse on these respects than the first game, but I'd imagine you're referring to something in WoW... never liked that game enough to play it much, though, so I don't know what.

On that note though, yeah, most fantasy worlds are stuck in something like a fantasy 15th century, with random bits added in from the last 500 years as well... unless they're basically just modern-day settings with a "fantasy" veneer over the top, as you often see in anime, as I said there. They're in this moment where medieval civilization is at its peak, but also have modern elements, and cannons, and the like, most of the time. The problem is, while the Middle Ages were a thousand years long, that part of them was actually pretty short, only the last century or two of the period. The first 80% of the Middle Ages is something you extremely rarely see in games or anime, Western or Eastern, maybe some grand strategy games aside.

So its only anime that can't have this modern tech/medieval hybrid theme?

Games such as Warcraft, Guild Wars, and League of Legends would like a word with you.
I think Guild Wars 1 was fine... the second one's pretty sketchy, though. That Charr civilization is WAY too high tech to still be using edged weapons. But GW1's the far better game anyway, so oh well. :)

As for Warcraft they did add more anachronistic stuff over time, but still, yes, I absolutely do think that Japanese things with fantasy settings are far less accurate than Western. Sure, you're right that Western fantasy games are sometimes pretty silly too, but it's not quite as bad, and it's not as uniformly bad either. That last point, "uniformly bad", is an important one...

Log Horizon 2

A better episode than the first. The choice to make Shiroe a support class and strategist begins to separate the show somewhat. He's also the character that raises the most interesting questions and has the best lines. The other characters unfortunately remain pretty bland and difficult to care about. I appreciate that the show addresses the lack of a greater goal and integrates it into the story, but self awareness only affords so much leeway and time will tell if the show manages to hold interest plot-wise. The action was enjoyable, genuinely reminiscent of MMOs and featured tactics and a variety of spells. It's immediately more engaging than any of the poorly directed action scenes that I fell asleep to in SAO.

Despite the positive aspects of the show and it's potential, it's still basically hanging on by a thread for me. I'll give it one more episode.
Yeah, having a support-mage hero definitely gave it a very different feel for sure, and that's great! Ep. 2 of this show was quite good, and I agree that it was better than the first episode. I hope that the show stays this good, because it could be something pretty interesting if it does.

Also, he said that people thnk that there isn't a greater goal, not that there isn't a greater goal. There's a difference. Remember that a new addon was supposed to go live, so the world could be different in some unknowni ways... we don't know if that will lead to a goal or not.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Non Non Biyori 02
This felt like a completely different show than the first episode. Previously measured and quiet with a focus on nature, it seems like the show is kind of just devolving into an awkward adaptation where shorter stories and scenarios are all stuffed into an episode. The first episode also really refrained from overblown anime reaction faces, and now that they've popped up they're just running wild, and it really kills any hope for the series to be more relaxed.

As for Warcraft they did add more anachronistic stuff over time, but still, yes, I absolutely do think that Japanese things with fantasy settings are far less accurate than Western. Sure, you're right that Western fantasy games are sometimes pretty silly too, but it's not quite as bad, and it's not as uniformly bad either. That last point, "uniformly bad", is an important one...

Sure it could be said that a good amount of anime utterly fail/dissappoint in that regard, but then you have gems like Fate Zero show up (unless you see Fate Zero as a fail to which I can't wrap my head around such an opinion).

Defuser

Unbreakable Machine Doll ep 2

This episode is slooooooow, hopefully this cannibal candy case will be finish next week.

Yaya continues to be cute and hnnnngggh.

Sure it could be said that a good amount of anime utterly fail/dissappoint in that regard, but then you have gems like Fate Zero show up (unless you see Fate Zero as a fail to which I can't wrap my head around such an opinion).
The Fate/ serieses happen in the present day, though, not in fantasy middle ages settings... I haven't watched fate/zero, but I know it's set in recent times...

Vecks

Yowapeda 1
This is nice. A fun, simple shounen sports anime. I like that there isn't any bullying in this as a motivation, even though the character looks the type to get bullied. Also, lol@ that ending after the ED.

I wonder how many eps this is gonna be.

Yowapeda 1
This is nice. A fun, simple shounen sports anime. I like that there isn't any bullying in this as a motivation, even though the character looks the type to get bullied. Also, lol@ that ending after the ED.

I wonder how many eps this is gonna be.

It was confirmed 39 I believe.

Pooya

Gundam Build Fighters - 2

shiiiit! glorious gundam battle!

j6YEqgPufAhWx.jpg

that youtube compression

THAT OP! even that ED, great stuff.

There is no "dumb shit' in this indeed, the plot seems awfully suspicious, there must be more to it... that ending.

Seriously, what are you doing here Ral?

didn't know China actually pilots the Bearguy, nice!

next episode preview too.

The only thing I don't like somewhat is the character designs, but even that seems fitting here.

Unbreakable Machine-Doll 02

So an episode with no action but a bit of character development and humor, and oooh investigation starts. I don't mind, animes where lead character dabbles in detective work tends to really work for me (cough cough Hyouka cough)

The show's leads really do make the show. While what's-her-face blonde girl is a cliched tsundere (only not as much HMMMM as just being cocky), Yaya and Raishin are really great as protagonists. Especially Yaya she makes this show. Never fully watched the ED but apparently he's eventually getting 2 more dolls if the video playing during the song is to be believed.

Articalys

Just saw an alert come in from WTK that right now both halves of Sentai's Amagami SS release had their prices slashed to $14.99 each on Right Stuf, meaning you can pick up the entire first season for only $30. Sure, they're barebones releases, sub only and no real bonus features besides creditless OP/ED, but still a good deal if you want all 26 episodes at a lower price.

Syrinx

Diabolik Lovers 3

I don't even know what to say anymore. This show wears its misogyny on its sleeve unlike few things I've come across. The onl reason to continue at this point is to delve further and further into the disturbed mind of whoever created this...thing.

Dresden

yowamushi pedal - 02

This is a pretty good show, and I'm enjoying it and all, but it surprised me that the lead's anime fandom turned out to be of the more esoteric sort - mecha, staff, etc - than the things we usually see in anime (pillows, butts, etc). Not sure why I found it so interesting.

so moe said:

Definitely has that shonen pacing. We'll see the conclusion of the race in episode 3, and that high episode count doesn't feel so large anymore.

I don't think I've ever asked, but what's the general consensus of AnimeGAF on Zetsuen No Tempest? I really loved it, but I know some who dislike the second story arc.

I don't think I've ever asked, but what's the general consensus of AnimeGAF on Zetsuen No Tempest? I really loved it, but I know some who dislike the second story arc.

Combined one of the best anime studios with my personal choice for best writer of manga. Really great music, visuals, and storytelling made it one of my personal favorite series. Its unfortunate, that the series had to get DVD sub only treatment here though, but Ill always cherish BLast of Tempest.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 16

Might speed up at the rate Dokkaan! is being finished, but we have a second test, with the strictest examiner in the Witch World!

So like, clearly we didn't learn much about her, but I have a feeling we could possibly learn more in the future if Sharp has told me anything. Their trying hard at pleasing a customer, despite their failures, also brought back a recollection of their failures and successes as Hana's mother, which is rather similar to how they treated their customer (without the coddling obviously). Well, Momoko is a bit of an exception since she wasn't in Sharp, but she pretty much got the speed up of things earlier on in the season.

wonzo

Banned
Combined one of the best anime studios with my personal choice for best writer of manga. Really great music, visuals, and storytelling made it one of my personal favorite series. Its unfortunate, that the series had to get DVD sub only treatment here though, but Ill always cherish BLast of Tempest.
dtl pls

Gundam Build Fighters 1-2
I guess Strike is the go-to Gundam? I love Strike, so I'm okay with that.

It seems interesting and i'll watch it for the crazy match ups. I know how stupid it sounds, but I have a hard time with the whole game technology, but I know if I was a kid, I would have eaten this shit up.

Pooya

I like the music a lot, actually managed to watch all of it eventually after stopping somewhere in episode 10-12, when they were stuck on that rock, talking and talking nonsense for several episodes. There were some nice action scenes! otherwise it was really dumb and bad for the most part and not dumb and insane(ly fun) like something like Valvrave.

Narag

Gundam Build Fighters 1-2
I guess Strike is the go-to Gundam? I love Strike, so I'm okay with that.

It seems interesting and i'll watch it for the crazy match ups. I know how stupid it sounds, but I have a hard time with the whole game technology, but I know if I was a kid, I would have eaten this shit up.

Just usual silly gundam science transfered to a game board. Think of it that way.

CorvoSol

Sounds like a victory
over you.

Victory Gundam 39

I quit. I fucking quit. This show is shit. It's boring, it's dumb, and it is shit. Holy fuck, I hated Princess Ismail's shitty, shitty, shitty song in 00 and HEY GUESS WHAT STRAW BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK? Shakti singing. There's no fucking direction to this show. It meanders like a fucking glacier if glaciers were drunk and obsessed with wheels. And then they make me listen to Shakti screech a song out? OH FUCK NO.

I can't do this any more. Gundam was good, once. The first three shows were REALLY solid. Then the two movies were meh, and at long last Tomino shat out Fucktory.

This show is AGE bad. This is 00 S2 bad. This is an awful Gundam show and I desperately urge all within the sound of this post to avoid Victory like the plague that it is. Oh, no doubt Flit was a Nazi, Shinn was a shit head, and Setsuna a walking yawn, but Uso is a goddamn shrieking dope. Why is everything in this show so fucking SHRILL? Shakti, Karlman, Uso, Katejina, Chumpicle Asser, all of them.

I'm FORTY FUCKING EPISODES INTO THIS SHOW AND NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. Unless you count a bunch of shit heads dying as "something" which you shouldn't, since people dying has no consequence or meaning. They just die. Oh boy. They don't even die in significant ways, just "Shakti fucked up and now ten people have to die." Why or how did Shakti fuck up? Not even God could solve that for you.

This is a horrible Gundam show. It's droll, offensively stupid, and even the inane Zanscare mechanical designs are not enough to keep me going. The villains have NO clear motive, the heroes are aimlessly wandering doing NOTHING, there is no tension to the fights, just Uso crying at Katejina as she says things increasingly disconnected from reality. I'm going to be honest, "they're newtypes!" has always been a bad excuse for the wacky things people say during fights in Gundam, but it is stretched positively translucent here.

What a fucking waste. Of time, of money, of paint, of space, of memory, and of lives. No one involved in this project or who has watched this show has used their time in any beneficial way. Victory Gundam is the equivalent of staring into the sun while listening to leaves dry. It's painful and the longer it sits there, the more it begins to stink.

I wish I had not ever known of the existence of this show, but now that I have, let it bear the distinction of the only Gundam show I feel no desire to finish. Not even as a hate watch. Not even for a bargain. I watched AGE. I watched 00. I sat through THIRTY FUCKING NINE of these episodes and I cannot do this anymore.

There is no excuse, no reason, no defense for a product as hideous, repulsive, repugnant and positively awful as Victory Gundam. What a rancid, rancorous, wretched note to end the Universal Century on, and my viewing of Gundam in general. Thank GOD there is still Gundam Build Fighters to buoy my interest in the franchise, because Victory is a shit so positively odious and odorous that its stench burns my eyes even as my lids close.

Thank you, Tomino, for proving that Garzey's Wing is not ever going to be the stupidest thing you made.

What utter filth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom