• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Steins;Gate 3

I have to say, I'm rather curious how Okabe's character is handled in the VN when you play as him. It seems like a lot of his personality comes from him acting in weird, baffling, paranoid ways, and that wouldn't really work when he's the player avatar and you're inside his head.

I really like the interaction between Kurisu and Okabe, they play off each other really well. This series basically continues as it has been going: Good funny bits, good mystery. I like that both John Titor and CERN (don't know why it's spelled with an S in the show, I assume a translation quirk) are real things, makes it feel a bit more grounded.

Are there any other shows that have a kind of combined slice of life and mystery feel like the first half of this show does?

Articalys

Also, for Kurita, the MAN WITH A MISSION opening song for Log Horizon sold 34,325 copies for its first week on sale, which I think is pretty good. Dunno how well their singles usually sell.

Gazoinks

well it helps battle tendency is awesome so any trailer for it will be mega-hype

Yeah, I'm not sure how it'd be possible to make a Battle Tendency trailer that isn't. There isn't a single moment of that arc that isn't fabulously over the top in some way.

Also, for Kurita, the MAN WITH A MISSION opening song for Log Horizon sold 34,325 copies for its first week on sale, which I think is pretty good. Dunno how well their singles usually sell.

This song keeps getting stuck in my head out of nowhere.

Kurita

Oh, nice.
That's what they usually sell so I'm not that suprised. I guess Log Horizon + the fact that it's a featuring with a popular dude gave it a little boost. (and yes it's really good for a non-idol/mainstream pop band)
And the song rocks so... yaaay.

This song keeps getting stuck in my head out of nowhere.

DATABASE DATABASE

Start with the original Mobile Suit Gundam, and work your way through the UC time line in chronological order. It's the best way for any of it to make sense if your new to the series. If you get tired of the UC time line you can always drift off to other Gundam series for a bit like G-Gundam or Gundamn Wing-though you might wanna be weary of Gundam X. I enjoyed it but I don't know many that did.

I loved X. Jamil makes that show worthwhile.

Narag

With JoJo, presentation>animation for me. David Production blew the OVAs out of the water in that aspect.

Really, I just need the Pet Shop and magnet girl fights animated and I'll be happy.

It's difficult animating gratuitous amounts of fabulous and manly.

God I can't wait for the Hol Horse episodes. ;~~~~~;

I'd just like a happy medium is all!

More like episode 19, less like episode 15.

Reknoc

Well at least when they get to the later parts they have less to animate as 90% of arcs are people standing/laying around posing explaining their stands.

Too bad KyoAni seems to have vindicated the other side of that argument with their subsequent output, and the success of said output. :p

Yes, I couldn't help meta-thoughts about KyoAni's current state arising when I was watching Hyouka 17. They created expectations in me about themselves with their work on that show, expectations that they have not been able to meet since. I know they had and still have the talent to create something as good as if not better than Hyouka if they really wanted to, talent that few other studios can boast, but they haven't shown any interest in doing so. Although in their case, it's not that they're not serious about animation, but rather that they're too serious about it in the wrong way (from my perspective): they're more interested in being a successful business than creating art. It's hard to blame them, since they are a business after all. It's just sad that creating masterpieces does not bring you financial or popular success.

Still, if nothing good comes from the studio again, we'll always have Hyouka.

Gazoinks

Well at least when they get to the later parts they have less to animate as 90% of arcs are people standing/laying around posing explaining their stands.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll do something about some of Araki's mad retconning. Like how Annasui's stand does something completely different the first time he uses it, before Araki apparently changed his mind. Of course that's Part 6 so it's a long way off, but it was the first example I thought of.

7Th

Is KyoAni really interesting in being a business? How can anyone read the KnK script and think "I'm sure people will buy this shit"?

cnet128

Banned
Jojo part 3 amazing! Now we just need part 4-8 animated as well

There are two unnecessary characters in this post. I'll give you a clue: they're the ones that come immediately after the number 4.

But that's the best part xp

Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll do something about some of Araki's mad retconning. Like how Annasui's stand does something completely different the first time he uses it, before Araki apparently changed his mind. Of course that's Part 6 so it's a long way off, but it was the first example I thought of.

Anasui is made of retcon though.

Yozakura Quartet -Hana no Uta- 2

Not as crazy and awesome as the first episode, but it's kind of fun getting to know these characters. Looks like we may be getting moar action next episode so that's nice.

Also: an ED featuring just the male characters? That's a new one.

Is KyoAni really interesting in being a business? How can anyone read the KnK script and think "I'm sure people will buy this shit"?

I don't see why KyoAni would have focused so heavily on Mirai's clumsy "moe" factor without thinking they could use it to draw in viewers and buyers. And the script does follow in the tradition of other LNs which have been financially successful, even if it is an especially poor example of the type.

Jex

So I was listening to the series of Fast Karate for the Gentleman podcasts where they discuss the Jo Jo's TV series. Everything seemed to be going fine till they called Joseph Joestar the worst Joestar and they complained how ludicrous it was that they he kept coming up with all these plans. Also, apparently they didn't like how there was an exaggerated explanation for everything in the series.

Now, I know there's no such thing as a wrong opinion but...

I only really listen to Fast Karate for their entertainment value and not their insight but this is just going too far! I guess I should have been suspicious when they took Mardock Scramble seriously and thought that it had some actual weight to the messages that it espoused.

7Th

I don't see why KyoAni would have focused so heavily on Mirai's clumsy "moe" factor without thinking they could use it to draw in viewers and buyers. And the script does follow in the tradition of other LNs which have been financially successful, even if it is an especially poor example of the type.

I was making a joke about how unappealing and poorly conceived the characters are.

Dresden

2Vb1Itz.gif

So I was listening to the series of Fast Karate for the Gentleman podcasts where they discuss the Jo Jo's TV series. Everything seemed to be going fine till they called Joseph Joestar the worst Joestar and they complained how ludicrous it was that they he kept coming up with all these plans. Also, apparently they didn't like how there was an exaggerated explanation for everything in the series.

Worst jojo related opinion ever.

Gazoinks

I only really listen to Fast Karate for their entertainment value and not their insight but this is just going too far! I guess I should have been suspicious when they took Mardock Scramble seriously and thought that it had some actual weight to the messages that it espoused.

That's just wrong. Wrong! Joseph is probably one of my favorite Joestars, for just how fun he is. It was also kind of the turn of the series towards more intelligent battles. You don't see battles that consist entirely of xanatos gambits like in Part 2 much.
tumblr_mqen8eNTwu1rl0mapo1_400.png

It also helps that Joseph is incredibly refreshing after the boredom that is Johnathan.

Kurita

SMH
S M H

Worst JoJo? My god, he's far and away the BEST JoJo. Jotaro is such a massive step down in pretty much every way, and the rest are various levels of bland with the possible exception of Jolyne.

True, but I rarely find that Gundam is poorly animated. Even AGE and Victory were well animated. Though their mechanical designs left much to be desired.

Victory's lack of shading killed the visuals for me. It looked so terribly cheap. Backgrounds were okay, but that doesn't save it.

Gazoinks

Worst JoJo? My god, he's far and away the BEST JoJo. Jotaro is such a massive step down in pretty much every way, and the rest are various levels of bland with the possible exception of Jolyne.

I'd say that Jolyne, Joseph, Johnny, and Josuke (Part 8) are probably the least bland Jojos for various reasons. Jolyne and Johnny get some nice development, Joseph is cool and fun, and Josuke is just a weirdo. Part 4 Josuke's alright and Jotaro and Johnathan are both boring. Haven't read Part 5, but I hear Giorno is dull as well.

jgminto

Josuke, Johnny and Jo2uke are in no way bland. And Jotaro worked for SC's group focus.

Caesnd

Yes, I couldn't help meta-thoughts about KyoAni's current state arising when I was watching Hyouka 17. They created expectations in me about themselves with their work on that show, expectations that they have not been able to meet since. I know they had and still have the talent to create something as good as if not better than Hyouka if they really wanted to, talent that few other studios can boast, but they haven't shown any interest in doing so. Although in their case, it's not that they're not serious about animation, but rather that they're too serious about it in the wrong way (from my perspective): they're more interested in being a successful business than creating art. It's hard to blame them, since they are a business after all. It's just sad that creating masterpieces does not bring you financial or popular success.

Still, if nothing good comes from the studio again, we'll always have Hyouka.

I don't believe it's about lack of want or not having any interest. Certainly, people in the animation industry tend to lean towards creative endeavors, but inspiration is not something it's necessarily always at your beck and call. Great ideas in group projects requires peoples thoughts and feelings to coalesce. It's a "the right people at the right time and place" sort of thing.

These are my thoughts about your misgivings about the lack of good reception as well. The determination to stay away from thoughts about money and fame etc is what gives rise to some of this sort of inspiration, I feel.

Metrotab

Banned
Non Non Biyori - 2

I am completely in love with this show already.

This show is small in its ambitions, scale and in what it sets out to do, but I feel a great sense of craftsmanship behind it. Like the team is really trying their best.

The atmosphere is so relaxing, like a warm blanket. A perfect medicine for cold and gray Autumn weather. The Japanese countryside forms a beautiful backdrop, cozy and inviting.

This has potential to become one of the best slice-of-life viewing experiences.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Non Non Biyori - 2

I am completely in love with this show already.

This show is small in its ambitions, scale and in what it sets out to do, but I feel a great sense of craftsmanship behind it. Like the team is really trying their best.

The atmosphere is so relaxing, like a warm blanket. A perfect medicine for cold and gray Autumn weather. The Japanese countryside forms a beautiful backdrop, cozy and inviting.

This has potential to become one of the best slice-of-life viewing experiences.
Really what all anime should be.

I'm also enjoying the new new kyoani anime. I really like the main girl's look. Although I wish it was a straight up school anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom