• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hyouka 18-19

JXDVQ0n.jpg

The romantic tension between Oreki and Chitanda is heating up!

Is this a rewatch or are you watching for the first time?

This is one of those shows that could have really benefited from a second season to expand on these relationships, but from what I hear it wasn't too popular and (more importantly) the source material is slower than a constipated turtle in coming out.

It was popular enough. The problem in making more anime is that pretty much all the source material has been adapted.

Is this a rewatch or are you watching for the first time?

I only got up to episode 16 in my initial viewing of Hyouka when it aired, so these episodes are new to me.

Syrinx

It was popular enough. The problem in making more anime is that pretty much all the source material has been adapted.

I only got up to episode 16 in my initial viewing of Hyouka when it aired, so these episodes are new to me.

Did something happen that made you put the rest to the side for so long that you just decided to start over? It's a bit odd to hear somebody speak so lovingly about a 22-episode series and call it a masterpiece without actually finishing it.

Unbreakable Machine-Doll 2

Opening: Don't really like it.
Ending: It has Yaya.

Still enjoying this mostly because of the splendid music and the character interaction between Raishin, Yaya, Charl, and Sigmund.

Visually it was at least a little less brighter than the first episode, so I'm thankful for that. Though I'm not really over the character designs, especially after catching a glimpse from the manga, and realizing how superior the art looks compared to this and the novel its based on.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just saw this pop up via WTK -- the recent Gintama: The Final Movie has started screening in Singapore today.

http://www.cathaycineplexes.com.sg/m...vie_id=%201109

I don't really know how it works having both English and Chinese subtitles, like if some screenings have one or the other, but whatever. Just an alert for anyone out there.

If it's like an HK movie, they'd just have both on screen at the same time.

Saint Seya Omega - 75

An episode without subaru is a great episode ... and this rule is still true.

Ryuho needed some time on screen , so they went and made the yandere paradox back

Are yandere popular or something ? Anyway .. if you look at the dialogs or the special effects this episode was quite good, nothing ground breaking , but it was a pleasant time.

Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2075.jpg

Well considering she was wrong last time , it's not hard to figure this out.

So full yandere paradox was a nice touch , the twist of this episode was predictable since it got spoiled in last episode preview ( thanks Toei ) , but at least the execution was there ...

Next episode will BE 300% HYPE as
Phoenix Ikki
will be back ...
Mark your calendars , guys , even current toei can't fuck this one up ... Next week episode will be good.

Did something happen that made you put the rest to the side for so long that you just decided to start over? It's a bit odd to hear somebody speak so lovingly about a 22-episode series and call it a masterpiece without actually finishing it.

Not really. I just stopped watching it. It was difficult for me to keep the motivation to watch an entire TV series for a while.

jbug617

Banned
KnK 3

I laughed at the club room scene with
Hiroomi who has a sister complex and Akihito with a glasses complex.

Also did the preview basically spoil how that incident going to end?

duckroll

Saint Seya Omega - 75

Next episode will BE 300% HYPE as
Phoenix Ikki
will be back ...
Mark your calendars , guys , even current toei can't fuck this one up ... Next week episode will be good.

Looks like the next episode is yet another episode directed by the original director of SSO. I guess he has to come back from time to time to clean the shit up. Lulz. He directed ep65 and 69 so far. Were those the good ones recently?

Anohana 04-06

Everything just revolves around Menma doesn't it? Well that's to be expected but damn the death is just so intertwined with everyone's life/story. I'm calling Jintan x Anaru ship. Show is still giving the bittersweet feels but nothing of the sort to make me tear up or anything. Nonetheless I'm really enjoying it.

CorvoSol

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt 12

Man, when this show gets serious, it gets really, really weird. Like,
Panty and Brief? And it was even sorta cute? The Mayor freaking out the Demon sisters while they had off-screen sex? Stocking admitted to Heaven. CORSET?

This show is weird when it gets serious.

Brief's dick is the keyblade

Kazzy

I think that I might finally be ready to resume watching some anime, after my GTA-induced leave of absence. In a weird way, I'm thankful that the online is almost completely botched, otherwise I'd likely continue to throw away what little free time I have.

Syrinx

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 16

At first I thought Majo Saliban was being a bitch trying to sabotage them, but what she was trying to do actually makes sense.

Next episode: Reika vs. Pop. Holy shit, that's going to be amazing.

Soma

Kyousougiga Episode 02

It's been really interesting to see how fleshed out the previous material has gotten. While many pieces of the previously fragmented puzzle are slowly coming together to make the overall story make more sense, there's still plenty of mystery introduced to where it's been fun trying to connect the dots especially in this episode with
the Inari/Myoue connections
. The nods to the Alice in Wonderland story are really nice and I feel that these references are starting to have more meaning as this story goes on.

I don't think it was as visually exciting as the previous episode but the direction sure didn't let up and there were some interesting scene transitions such as
the flowers changing as Koto passed by table twice
which kinda played with my head a bit. Good episode and still staying strong as one of my favorite shows of the season.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
KnK 3

I laughed at the club room scene with
Hiroomi who has a sister complex and Akihito with a glasses complex.

Also did the preview basically spoil how that incident going to end?

Yes it did. Note that I've not read the book(s?), but yeah they basically gave it away.

Looks like the next episode is yet another episode directed by the original director of SSO. I guess he has to come back from time to time to clean the shit up. Lulz. He directed ep65 and 69 so far. Were those the good ones recently?

65 was alright.. lot of talkings and just an "ok" battle , it was a fairly standard saint seya episode. Main focus was koga & ryuho + a little of pegasus seya kicking ass because ... well just because.
SSO-65.jpg

Best way to summarize ep 65
69 was mostly the same .Main focus on Yuna & soma

Those were episodes focusing on expanding the old cast characters by flashbacks and other trivia.
SSO-69.jpg

Best way to summarize ep 69
They were "mostly" good.
They clearly weren't the worst ones of the second season , far from it.

Who made episode 70 ? That one was quite good and in the same mold.

Actually those episodes are totally in my top 5 for the second season.

CorvoSol

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt 13

So for the entire duration of humanity's second history, post End of Evangelion or whatever, God has been sending Garterbelt
pictures of a dick.

Kill la Kill is gonna get weird isn't it?

Joe Molotov

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt 13

So for the entire duration of humanity's second history, post End of Evangelion or whatever, God has been sending Garterbelt
pictures of a dick.

Kill la Kill is gonna get weird isn't it?

You did watch the post-credits scene, correct?

duckroll

65 was alright.. lot of talkings and just an "ok" battle , it was a fairly standard saint seya episode. Main focus was koga & ryuho + a little of pegasus seya kicking ass because ... well just because.

69 was mostly the same .Main focus on Yuna & soma

Those were episodes focusing on expanding the old cast characters by flashbacks and other trivia.

They were "mostly" good.
They clearly weren't the worst ones of the second season , far from it.

Who made episode 70 ? That one was quite good and in the same mold.

Actually those episodes are totally in my top 5 for the second season.

Hmmm, 70 was directed by another series regular. He did 75 too. He worked on a lot of episodes from both seasons though.(2, 7, 11, 16, 23, 26, 30, 34, 38, 43, 46, 50, 55, 57, 59, 64, 66, 70, 75).

Hmmm, 70 was directed by another series regular. He did 75 too. He worked on a lot of episodes from both seasons though.(2, 7, 11, 16, 23, 26, 30, 34, 38, 43, 46, 50, 55, 57, 59, 64, 66, 70, 75).

An "alright" track record i guess .

What ??? episode 66 ? it almost managed to outrun the worse sain seya omega episode EVER that was ep 16 ..i guess that was the same guy .. Was ep 70 a fluke or something ??

I guess he is just "directing" and not the one responsible for the horrible plot ...Judging by ep 70 , he does know how to make battles intresting ... i'm not worried as ep 75 was perfectly fine.

不死鳥!鳳凰座(フェニックス)の一輝、見参!
Damn i'm hyped for ep 76 .. my disapointment will be huge if they messed this one up but ..that won't happen , right ? They can't do that , right ?

Geez. Being without internet for five days really makes me realize how many posts come in this thread. It took awhile to get caught up on everything.

I confess that I cannot sympathize with those who didn't like the first episode of Samurai Flamenco. The production values might be mediocre, but the direction is solid and the character writing is great. Both the leads are charming, and I'm really interested in seeing how their relationship develops. (It's unfortunate that it seems a lot of people throw friendship between two men into the "That's so gay!" pile.) It's also really funny - which is admittedly a very subjective assessment, but it hit all the right buttons for me, despite not being a tokusatsu fan. Either it or White Album 2 are my second-favorite openers of this season, with Kyousougiga of course being my favorite.

I certainly agree about how people treat guy relationships, because I think that's just a bad attitude to take, and it's annoying to constantly reduce anything with guys down to being 'fujoshi bait'.

However, I have to really disagree about the characters being charming and that the character writing is great. The model dude is pretty much insufferable, and I never even got the feeling that something interesting was on the verge of happening with him. The cop guy was less annoying, but basically felt like he was just kind of wandering through plot points and getting to the 'point' scene at the end of the episode. I felt like the show completely failed to engage his character, aside from the scene debating if Kamen Rider is breaking the law. And the way I see it, both characters have already entered fully into cliche territory by the end of the episode, and their arcs can't go anywhere but down from there.

I get that humor is subjective, but for me I don't just find a bunch of quirkiness and repetition funny, and I need to have at least some emotional investment in the characters before I can find something really hilarious (unless it's just going completely nonsensical and tossing all that to the wind).

For me, I found the writing to be a far bigger issue than the production values were. I can forgive bad production values when they're backed by strong writing, but in this case the writing feels at an equally low level. At least on my end, I find the characters to be written in a fairly obnoxious way, and the show isn't doing anything interesting with the setting (which is a waste, as there are much more interesting ways to take a wannabe hero who decides to start fighting injustice like their fictional idols did).

As I happened to re-watching the original Hajime no Ippo series I thought it might be interesting to briefly compare it to the new installment, Rising, in terms of both series visual presentation.
(snipped for brevity, because I'm not cajun)

The real differences lie in the character animation. The characters in the new series have fairly wooden expressions, except during battle, where as the original characters were far more expressive:

There's an exaggerated, cartoony quality to the expressions in the original series which make the characters more interesting to look at.

Anyway, perhaps the most importance difference lies in the musical score and that's something I can't demonstrate in my post. The original soundtrack is excellent and I've found the most recent Ippo series so be sorely lacking in the sound department.

This was a very nice analysis of some of the big differences. I definitely miss seeing more expressive character faces. Hopefully they can at least improve the score on Rising as they get further along, even though it probably won't be in the same style as the original series had.

There's a lot of stuff that goes into achieving a great look, and Rising seems to be a little bit behind the original series so far in a few different categories, but there's still reason to have hope, I think. I'm looking forward to some of the bigger moments later in this season which I hope they can really knock out of the park.

Hey, I've just been images from the current season! I can't even remember much about New Challenger.

New Challenger is definitely worth remembering for having two of the most iconic fights in the series.

I mean the spoilers statute.
how long a show can run before its ok to reveal spoilers.

I feel like for notable spoilers, there's never really an okay time. Even in this thread we constantly have people watching shows from the 90s and earlier for the first time.

Now at a certain point, I think a lot of smaller things certainly cease to be really 'spoilery', but for big moments I don't think there's ever really an acceptable moment.

Ookiku Furikabutte 03

And so starts our first game. And also starts Mihashi's panic attack or whatever. While I get his character, I was never a big fan of it.

Mihashi can certainly be frustrating at times, but I feel a lot of empathy towards him. I think he's a very effective and realistic portrayal of how someone with his insecurities would act, in that he continues to have doubts and is afraid of speaking up, even as he gets positive encouragement (as opposed to many stories where a little bit of encouragement and some good breaks might completely change a character). So his progressions is a lot slower, but it also feels more genuine (and you can understand why he's so reliant on Abe, because he's afraid that otherwise, he'll go back to being worthless and no one will care about him).

I feel the same way about Samurai Flamenco, though I have already dropped it, Anime Kick-Ass is not what I wanted.

Samurai Flamenco may not be good, but I wouldn't compare it to Millar's trash. At least not until they
have a gang rape scene or shoot up an entire funeral

Anohana 07-08

Alright the feels finally hit me, ending of episode 8 made me tear up. I really enjoy how the show is working the ghost vs realism concept here and how Jintan is struggling between the two. And the fucking ED beginning in the background was fucking perfect for that scene.

duckroll

Damn i'm hyped for ep 76 .. my disapointment will be huge if they messed this one up but ..that won't happen , right ? They can't do that , right ?

Well, judging from how your impressions of the second season has changed over the months, I'll say that the series probably hit a point where it really couldn't get any worse. So you should be fine. :)

duckroll

I certainly agree about how people treat guy relationships, because I think that's just a bad attitude to take, and it's annoying to constantly reduce anything with guys down to being 'fujoshi bait'.

However, I have to really disagree about the characters being charming and that the character writing is great. The model dude is pretty much insufferable, and I never even got the feeling that something interesting was on the verge of happening with him. The cop guy was less annoying, but basically felt like he was just kind of wandering through plot points and getting to the 'point' scene at the end of the episode. I felt like the show completely failed to engage his character, aside from the scene debating if Kamen Rider is breaking the law. And the way I see it, both characters have already entered fully into cliche territory by the end of the episode, and their arcs can't go anywhere but down from there.

I get that humor is subjective, but for me I don't just find a bunch of quirkiness and repetition funny, and I need to have at least some emotional investment in the characters before I can find something really hilarious (unless it's just going completely nonsensical and tossing all that to the wind).

For me, I found the writing to be a far bigger issue than the production values were. I can forgive bad production values when they're backed by strong writing, but in this case the writing feels at an equally low level. At least on my end, I find the characters to be written in a fairly obnoxious way, and the show isn't doing anything interesting with the setting (which is a waste, as there are much more interesting ways to take a wannabe hero who decides to start fighting injustice like their fictional idols did).

Do you think Clerks is a poorly written movie?

Syrinx

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 17

So I figure if Pop really wanted to play basketball, it would maybe take her a few years before she's styling all over LeBron James and making him her bitch on a leash.

Ahahaha Reika's cousin ate too much and fucked up her performance. That's what you get for smack talking Pop. Eat a dick.

Well, judging from how your impressions of the second season has changed over the months, I'll say that the series probably hit a point where it really couldn't get any worse. So you should be fine. :)

Actually it can get worse ... there is stain on screen that won't come off , as if the writter for season 2 decided to use it , even if it's crap . At least the old cast is still kicking ..i wouldn't be able to watch this mess if this wasn't the case.

The first 10 eps of the second season were REALLLLLLY bad , however ..it's almost incredible how they managed to recover a bit from that .

Do you think Clerks is a poorly written movie?

Well, I generally found Clerks to be hilarious, and thought the main characters felt completely believable, so I think it's a pretty different situation from Samurai Flamenco in just about every way.

It was also significantly less cliched in most elements. So, I wouldn't say that I found it poorly written at all. I thought it was quite smart and funny, with some great timing and execution.

I can understand why people would disagree with me and find Flamenco to be funny. I don't have the same sense of humor as a lot of people, and I can understand that some people don't mind obnoxious characters as much.

Gazoinks

Kyousougiga 2

This show continues to be a major highlight of the season for me, along with KlK. Also probably favorite OP of the season so far.

Good second episode, even if it's still basically set-up. Had a similar dynamic to the first: A focus on the charming and sweet family interactions (Koto's in this case), but with an undercurrent of melancholy. It was maybe a little less visually arresting, but it didn't need to be, and it still looked good. Looking forward to the next episode and some stuff taking place in the present.

Sooo... Is Inari Myoe (the first)? Seemed like they were heavily impying this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom