• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, it's just one of those things that annoys me slightly. That's not how semicolons work! :p Are Chaos;Head and Robotic;Notes any good? Are they actually connected story-wise at all or is it just a same universe kind of thing?

Steins;Gate 9

I was wondering whether Faris would become a lab member, since she shows up in the OP. Also she's apparently responsible for the rise of moe. Disgruntled anime fans, you have your target.

So getting the butterfly effect in here. Not really a surprise, but yeah. Each time they do something, something bigger changes. Which is weird, actually, since they haven't necessarily been trying bigger things each time. Now I wonder what Faris sent in her text? I'm guessing it had something to do with her dad. Was her dad dead previously, maybe? The ending sequence of the episode with the ED while Okabe was freaking out over what happened to Akihabara was very cool.

Mayuri talking about Okabe becoming more and more distant was very interesting. He's not really the Okabe of their timeline, after all. Each time a timeline changes he gets farther from his own timeline, and has all these memories backed up that no one else shares.

Butterfly effect is what makes it soooo good :D

Kyoukai no Kanata - 3

This show is insulting to my intelligence, but I still feel like I should watch it to completion. I blame the fact that it's pretty.

I want a three-way between Akihito, Mitsuki, and Hiroomi.

I don't see how yet another show about the navel-gazing "awesomeness" of otaku culture is fresh. There are shows like that every season.

Yeah, but they're never combined with the "journey in another world" trope. Well, I guess Ixion Saga kind of is, but the concept itself is still relatively original even if the execution isn't.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 26

*sees preview* AIKO EPISODE! FUCK!

Indepth preview and reactions

Sees the "Hey my folks got back together" preview.

Immediate reaction: NO! NOOO! FUCK YOU TOEI! I WON'T FALL FOR YOUR LIES! I WATCHED ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF SHIT YOU'RE GOING TO PULL HERE! ITS FUTILE FOR ME TO SAY THIS BUT YOU BETTER NOT PULL ANY FUCKING SHIT HERE!

*finishes episode*

YOU FUCKING DID, YOU TOTALLY FUCKING DID! I KNEW YOU'D FUCKING DO IT! YOU JUST HAD TO RUIN IT BY HAVING SOME JACKASS CALL HER TO RUIN HER PLANS! THAT RIGHT THERE WAS ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT GOOD ENDING ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN! FUCKING DYING PERSON, YOU HAD TO MAKE HER LOOK BAD EVEN WHEN SHE'S DOING SOMETHING GOOD!

AND FUCK EVERYONE FOR NOT NOTICING THE MESSAGE BOARD UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE, FUCK THAT DRUNK ASSHOLE FOR DISTORTING HER MESSAGE! FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUUUUUUUUUUUCK WHY TOEI WHY! WHY TV FORMULA WHY!?

WHY DIDN'T I HAVE MY FUCKING CAPS LOCK BUTTON ON!? FUCK ME FOR HOLDING THE SHIFT BUTTON

Videoneon

Anohana 10

Ahhh more feels, nonstop!

Looks like Jintan is the only one not ready to Menma ago, even Yukiatsu was ready. But damn that firework scene, even though I knew she was not going to disappear the scene still made me doubt. And that fucking ED just keeps playing at the right moments, never get tired of it. Had a good laugh at the exchange between Tsuruko and Anaru with Tsuruko's new hairstyle.

And finally, on to the next and last episode!

I watched all episodes except for the last one, and I had been following it at the time of airing. Maybe I'll finally give the last one a view.

Kyoukai no Kanata 03 - again thought it was fine, and again felt Mirai is the least interesting character in the show.

Mirai sucks. Fuyukai desu indeed.

I really want to like the show, but it ends up just being okay. Weird tone vacillations. I mean, I can buy self-important people having huge quirks, but it's just handled awkwardly in the show. I'll certainly see it through to the end.

----

I also decided to check out:

I Couldn’t Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job. /
Yūsha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shūshoku o Ketsui Shimashita

long ass LN title. Anyway it was shit. unbearable contrivances, definitively unbearable fanservice. I sort of find the divorce from reality that certain characters show like the protag and the "demon lord's daughter" being taken at face value interesting, but at the same time since the show doesn't even implicitly define the "real world" I find myself a little annoyed.

Westlo

Monogatari season two!

So, I watched all the way up to the second summary episode, episode 11 I believe. Frankly I think I'm totally tired of this crap now. The whole tiger arc was way too long. And boring. And reminiscent of Hanekawa's earlier arc.

Now, Hachikuji's arc was actually fun because of how absurd the whole thing was.]

You should watch the next arc for the amount of ether dropped on Nadeko, and for other stuff that happens.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
uk age rating logos seem kind of obnoxious.
Seeing as the ESRB's 'M for Mature' logo basically resulted in everything that is wrong with gaming today I'd say the BBFC age certifications are far from obnoxious in comparison.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can't decide which is worse, Yozakura's fanservice or KnK's writing.

wonzo

Banned
kuso no kaka 3

kyoukaikanata3.jpg

how can such a poorly written piece of shit be so well animated

this is literally the culmination of every single dumb style vs substances argument

and yet i'll watch next weeks ep anyway thanks to the preview. fuckin anime

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No, it doesn't have Yuasa or Shinbo.

Now, if Yuasa joint-directed this with Shinbo it would truly be the culmination of style over substance.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
what am I missing? why is the KnK preview for next week supposed to be enticing?

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 27

POP EPISODE/HANA TIME!

And you know what that means! EXAMS! Except I could've fucking sworn that she did the door test already. *checks* Okay, no she didn't. Good. Would've screamed if there was another inconsistency here.

Anywho, it's the Door Exams, and apparently we find out that Momoko has a Strawberry Tart boner, much like Doremi's steak boner,
which were the reasons why they failed their level 3 exam

Meanwhile Oyajide is using his Onpu boner in attempts to see her. Dude, she' uncomfortable around you. You're creepy man.

Pop nearly finishes, but chooses the other door to save Doremi and co. Nevermind her helping a bunch of people out throughout the exam. Despite that, the Door was still there after saving them, so Doremi prevented the door from closing until she got through, Pop gets through the final door, and passes her exam. She even got two certified spheres for passing and helping people out.

Prediction on Pop:
The reason why Pop goes at an very slow process of getting her witch sphere is obviously either for this season or the next one, the next one being more likely. Because she's constantly shown to have a quick grasp of whatever she's doing, it's likely that she'll be the key to turn Majo Rika back to normal, on top of doing whatever is necessary at the time. She'd be more useful than say... the rest of the crew at the end. Or she'll get fucked over.

wonzo

Banned
Diabolik Lovers 5

diaboliklovers5.jpg

so this episode starts off with the creepy teddy guy demanding "bitch-chan" to cut some roses and come with him. he takes her to a graveyard where his mothers grave rests and announces that he killed her. he then demands that "bitch-chan" leaves the roses there which she complies with. she then decides to leave which causes the dude to flip the fuck out and start wailing on the grave with the roses.

diaboliklovers5a.jpg

and thats just within the first 3 minutes. i dont know whats more hilarious, that or the mysterious glasses guy calling "bitch-chan" impolite for coughing after being poisoned

comedy of the season

jediyoshi

Kyoukai no Kanata 3

qOuO3uI.png

Oh lord, doesn't seem like this has any intention of slowing down.
Let me just stop and smell the roses, kyoani.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kyousougiga (TV) Episode 2:

One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small and the ones that mother gives you don't do anything at all. Go ask Alice, when she's ten feet tall, and if you go chasing rabbits and you know you're going to fall tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar has given you the call to call Alice when she was just small.

Indeed we are basically learning how Alice entered Wonderland with this episode and it is serviceable I suppose, not amazing, but it works. I really do hope we can move away from the back-story and get going with present events here soon.

cnet128

Banned
Polar Bear Cafe.

Secret Anime of the Year 2012.

Just 2012? Let it be SAOTY for 2013 too!

Ah, the four seasons when Polar Bear Cafe was airing were a happy time indeed.

Monogatari season two!

So, I watched all the way up to the second summary episode, episode 11 I believe. Frankly I think I'm totally tired of this crap now. The whole tiger arc was way too long. And boring. And reminiscent of Hanekawa's earlier arc.

Yeah, personally I think Tsubasa Tiger is probably the weakest arc in the series. Though I enjoyed it a little more when reading the novel (perhaps thanks to the novelty of having Hanekawa as the narrator, and the fact that the explanations were more clear and satisfying than in the anime). It was a good conclusion to Hanekawa's ongoing story, but it felt like Hanekawa got a disproportionate amount of focus in the series overall, and at this point it was starting to wear a little thin.

Now, Hachikuji's arc was actually fun because of how absurd the whole thing was.
From a vampire just casually being able to leap through dimensions and time, Oshino's flawed time travel explanation(hey maybe initially he did just go to another dimension but then later he did in fact travel forward in that dimension before returning home so there!), to the laughable because if Shinobu can do it surely someone else would have turned the world into vampires way earlier, along with dimension hopping vampires and shit. It'd be a common occurrence. It's also amusing how relatively quick to conclusions everyone jumps to, because his town seems destroyed doesn't even mean all of the world, let alone even all of Japan was destroyed but that's the conclusion they jump to.

Yeah, I'm not sure what you think was
flawed about the time travel explanation. It seemed fairly straightforward to me. The explanation was that Araragi wasn't actually capable of changing his own "present"/"future", because travelling into the past just creates a new timeline branching off from the original. So his own non-destroyed world still existed, all they had to do to get there was to perform a leap with the specific intention of going "sideways" back to that particular timeline, rather than just travelling backwards and forwards along their current timeline as they had been doing so far.

As for why somebody hadn't
destroyed the world already, well, I doubt many people beside Shinobu would even be capable of such a thing - she's generally presented as the Most Powerful Being That Ever Lived and all, so yeah. And even if there were a few other beings in all of time and space with similar power levels to Shinobu, destroying the entire world isn't exactly a goal that most sane people would actively try to achieve. I don't find it difficult to believe that nobody else would have ever had both the power and motivation to do that.

That said, to me it's more, uh, hmm, how to put this
whether or not only Shinobu can do this is one thing and whether or not Araragi is the only thing ever in Shinobu's 500 year old life that led her to do it is another, it all reeks of, inflkated importance. Does that make sense? Maybe Shinobu is super bad ass, maybe she's the most bad ass vampire in 500 years but of all time? And yes, "all time" is literal once you throw in time travel because once that's on the table you not only have to look at all the vampires in all of history that may have been powerful enough to time travel but now all of the vampires in the future that may be powerful enough to time travel! Of course, I guess an uber vampire from the future may not care to go back to the past to muck things up and just do it in his/her present but one of the things about time travel is if it is possible shouldn't there be signs? Surely if Shinobu misused the power others have and will?

And, well, Araragi, he's not a total moron or anything but, really, in 500 years this is the dude that led her to destroy the world in grief over? Kinda makes Araragi way more important than he should be and Shinobu way more childish than she should be after all those years.

Well,
Shinobu being far more childish than she should be after all these years is practically a running joke by this point. It's half-implied that she became that way because of the link she shares with Araragi - Oshino explained that kai'i are largely defined by how humans perceive them, and because Shinobu is so strongly tied to Araragi now, she's more influenced by him than anyone else. But it's also implied that she was kind of like that all along. Either way.

Araragi being the most important thing in the world to her at this point is pretty much inarguable fact, though, so it kind of makes sense that losing him would be the last straw that led her to take out her frustration on everyone and everything. I don't want to spoil the entire plot of Kizu, but the long and short of it is that she's been pretty emotionally unstable for a long time now, and Araragi was the last thing keeping her from giving up completely. Her issues have just been kind of simmering unresolved for the past few hundred years, so it makes sense that she didn't do anything so crazy earlier. But finally finding some semblance of hope in Araragi and then having it immediately snatched away must have just pushed her over the edge.

Jarmel

Banned
So somebody translated the new info about KyoAni's November Fan Special thing on the 30th of November.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4874048&postcount=2198

Additional details have been revealed.

There will be two stage events:
1. Kyoukai no Kanata (radio recording/original story live recitation/cast talk/OP performance)
Guests: Risa Taneda (Mirai Kuriyama), Kenn (Akihito Kanbara), Minori Chihara (Mitsuki Nase), Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Hirofumi Nase), Yuri Yamaoka (Ai Shindou)
The event will start at 12:00

2. Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Season 2 (Episode 1 preview showing plus cast talk)
Guests: Jun Fukuyama (Yuuta Togashi), Maaya Uchida (Rikka Takanashi), Chinatsu Akasaki (Shinka Nibutani), Azumi Asakura (Kumin Tsuyuri), Sumire Uesaka (Sanae Dekomori), ZAO (OP artist)
The event will start at 15:00

There will also be four staff talk events:
1: Director Dialogue!
Featuring Tatsuya Ishihara, Naoko Yamada, Yasuhiro Takemoto and others
2. Let's talk about Free! character designs!
Featuring Futoshi Nishiya and others
3. Producer Dialogue!
Featuring Eiharu Oohashi, Riri Senami, and Shinichirou Hatta and others
4. Let's talk about Chuunibyou and Kyoukai character designs!
Featuring Kazumi Ikeda and Miku Kadowaki
(you can send questions)

In addition, there will be displays set up featuring layouts, genga, art boards, character designs, and location designs from each of the four shows. There are 2 event merchandise sets planned (Chu2koi and Kyoukai) as well as other KyoAni goods from the other shows.

The Director Dialogue one would be interesting. I'm assuming Takemoto is going to mention whatever the fuck he's doing, at that talk.

Erigu

[Monogatari Series Second Season]
Oshino said Araragi was mistaken about how time travel worked and stated that instead of traveling to the past that instead he traveled over to a new route. Fair enough, common time travel theory there. However in the same note he hinted that he saved Hachikuji and then traveled forward along the same route where he saved her. That means that both routes work, that Shinobu can both travel forward and backwards in a single flow of time AND jump over to alternate routes.
Well, the (somewhat common, indeed) idea that you'd end up in an alternate world rather than in your own is something that's been thought up to avoid grandfather paradoxes, so that would only be necessary for travels to the past. There was no risk of such a paradox for the second jump, so they just stayed in the same world. And the third jump was them "going home", now that they knew how things worked (and no risk of paradox there either).
Seems entirely okay to me. Incidentally, Dragon Ball used the same model (and was referenced in the novel, in fact).

whether or not only Shinobu can do this is one thing and whether or not Araragi is the only thing ever in Shinobu's 500 year old life that led her to do it is another, it all reeks of, inflkated importance. Does that make sense? Maybe Shinobu is super bad ass, maybe she's the most bad ass vampire in 500 years but of all time?
From what I've seen of Nisio's work, it seems he likes to play with the ideas of "extremes" and "absolutes", in the sense that he doesn't mind coming up with a character who is "the best x / the most y in the entire universe no contest ever whatsoever" and having fun with it, ridiculous or not. So I think Kissshot might indeed be the most badass of all vampires.
And I'd have to re-read the book, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was her first (genuine?) attempt at time travel (because she's too badass to even think about cheating history in the first place anyway, and in this particular case, she just wanted to show off?).
Yes, it's all very exaggerated, but I think that's entirely on purpose and part of the joke/charm of the series.

Ookiku Furikabutte 05

Nice batting!

I do find it interesting that we are seeing the drama on both teams instead of just the main character's.

Yes it does drama so well (and the comedy, Nice batting never gets old, nice pitching too). Will never forget Kanou and Mihashi.

It's anime thursday. Fuck yes.

With no Naruto Shippuden on today, the only thing to be happy over is another 24 minutes with Masayoshi and Goto in Samumenco, and Eruharu action with Valvrave.

LordCanti

Kyoukai no Kanata 03

Continuing to watch this.... fuyukai desu.

I mean, I'll still do it, but I don't have to be happy about it.

The fantasy elements seem kind of bolted onto an in-progress slice of life show at this point. Hopefully that will change in the next episode.

cnet128

Banned

From what I've seen of Nisio's work, it seems he likes to play with the ideas of "extremes" and "absolutes", in the sense that he doesn't mind coming up with a character who is "the best x / the most y in the entire universe no contest ever whatsoever" and having fun with it, ridiculous or not. So I think Kissshot might indeed be the most badass of all vampires.
And I'd have to re-read the book, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was her first (genuine?) attempt at time travel either (because she's too badass to even think about cheating history in the first place anyway, and in this particular case, she just wanted to show off?).
Yes, it's all very exaggerated, but I think that's entirely on purpose and part of the joke/charm of the series.

I'm reading the Kabuki novel at the moment, and I can confirm that
this was indeed the first time Shinobu ever time-travelled. Half the reason why she even agreed to take Araragi back when he jokingly suggested it was because she wanted to try it out for the novelty value. Even though Oshino had explicitly warned her not to. Sigh.

It's anime thursday. Fuck yes.

And by that you mean Kill la Kill Episode 3 HYPE day.

(plus lots of other shows which are also cool but can't compete with dat hype)

sonicmj1

Kyousougiga 2

It continues to be excellent. The show fills in enough of Koto's history that you can understand where she's from and why she cares about her father, while still leaving plenty of mystery about the true nature of her past. Given that the series seems to be focused on the Mirror Kyoto, Central Shrine has a lot of history given to it here. Teachers, authority figures, and childhood friends all get plenty of face-time. As with the previous episode, there's enough texture in these small moments to fill an entire childhood in my head.

Even though I had intended to watch it, I never expected Kyousougiga to turn out this well.

Kyoukai no Kanata 3

God it's so dumb.

Writing in an anime can perhaps be compared to a story in a video game. If it's really good, it can carry weak direction and art, and if it stays out of the way, you don't need it to have a good show that feels meaningful. But if you have plenty of it and it sucks, then nothing can save you.

Maybe that's a bad analogy. Maybe it's more like a game's mechanics. I don't know. I'm normally all aboard the "style is substance" train, but every moment of comedy is flat-out bad, and every moment of meaningfully directed drama is undercut by the shit that comes out of the characters' mouths and the stupid situations they're placed in. This would be absolutely unwatchable if any other studio were involved.

I'm not sure if I'll watch the next episode. You can pretty much tell exactly how it'll play out from the preview.

Shergal

Kyoukai no Kanata 3

God it's so dumb.

Writing in an anime can perhaps be compared to a story in a video game. If it's really good, it can carry weak direction and art, and if it stays out of the way, you don't need it to have a good show that feels meaningful. But if you have plenty of it and it sucks, then nothing can save you.

Maybe that's a bad analogy. Maybe it's more like a game's mechanics. I don't know. I'm normally all aboard the "style is substance" train, but every moment of comedy is flat-out bad, and every moment of meaningfully directed drama is undercut by the shit that comes out of the characters' mouths and the stupid situations they're placed in. This would be absolutely unwatchable if any other studio were involved.

I'm not sure if I'll watch the next episode. You can pretty much tell exactly how it'll play out from the preview.
I don't think the show has a strong style though. It's just well-made, they cut when you'd expect them to, they use framing devices when you'd think it's appropriate, it has very nice animation and generally looks solid (not always). The audiovisual elements don't conspire to do something interesting, they're always slavish to the characters and plot progression, and thus it all feels wasted because it's all going into this tripe.

wonzo

Banned
TRIGGER Online Shop Pre-Order Product Shipment Date

Thank you very much for your support of TRIGGER Products.

The shipment date for the following TRIGGER Online Shop pre-order product(s) has been confirmed:

Shipment from (Thu) October 24, 2013
Little Witch Academia (Blu-ray)

All orders will begin shipping from this date.

* Please note that this mail is sent to customers who ordered any of the items above.
* Actual delivery date will slightly vary depending on the region.
* Dates are subject to change due to inclement weather and other unforeseen circumstances.
About goddamn time.
Seems like NISA licensed Eccentric Family.
If there's one thing that deserves a NISA release, it's definitely this series.

Railgun S 1

Watching it at least confirmed my view of why I avoided Railgun, the characters are all various levels of dull and boring and I found myself struggling to stay focused while watching. The actual electro esper powers for Misaka Mikoto and actually she herself are the most interesting parts of the anime, while her friends just feel like a waste of space. Worst the one Kiroko Shirai has one of the most aggravating and annoying voices used by a human va Ive encountered.

Soundtrack deserves some praise.

Also finished watching Psycho Pass, think the cast deserves praise as well as the musical selections used. Looking forward to a third watch via the eventual dub. And started a rewatch of Magi which will also happen again this week with the dub, surprised there have been no comments on episode 1 dub premiere from this past weekends con.

And I'd have to re-read the book, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was her first (genuine?) attempt at time travel (because she's too badass to even think about cheating history in the first place anyway, and in this particular case, she just wanted to show off?).

You're right on both cases , Nisio love absolutes and it was indeed shinobu first attempt ..i thought it was obvious as she was struggling to answer araragi questions about how all this stuff worked and answered on the fly.

BluWacky

I do hope Eccentric Family eventually gets a second season. It was very enjoyable and I feel many of the characters still have so much potential.

I would think that is unlikely - it's based on a novel which I presume was entirely adapted for the series, so there is unlikely to be any further material to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom