• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like NISA licensed Eccentric Family.

Super pretty box please. I hope they toss in the wind fan as well!

I'm enjoying it...

Kyoukai no Kanata: 03

So, I must be watching a different show than everyone else, right? Because I liked what I saw. I had this as a 3 episode rule show, and I'll be continuing on. I like the characters too much, and the action is too enticing to drop.

Miss Unpopular Opinion, away!

Dunno, I enjoyed the last episode. I really don't see what's so terrible about it. *shrugs*

cajunator

Banned
Nothing stopping you from going from the dark side to the pure side. Just a click of a button...

Ohhh I understand what you meant now. I was making an (tired) Akarin joke but you literally made your avatar disappear when using Dark theme. Very clever.

cnet128

Banned
I think this is probably not worth arguing about, what with time travel being so theoretical a concept that no one even can agree on the concept itself but, again, the idea of this "grandfather paradox" reeks to me of human arrogance, as if the universe or time gives two shits over who your grandfather is. And "if," if time actually cared, somehow, about which bundles of matter were and were not supposed to be at an event at a given time then every little thing they do in that alternate dimension is causing further time splits, alternate routes, whatever. Surely, to a universe that'd care what sperm impregnates a woman it would have a problem with a dead Araragi and Shinobu from another dimension meeting and killing its Shinobu.

But, I guess I do have to cede the fact that it makes sense on a human level, in the second route no-one's memories or past is messed up therefor no paradox and they're free to move forward all they want I just find that concept a little cheesy I guess.

Well,
according to Shinobu's (admittedly not very confident) explanations, the concept of fate exists in this world, and is ready to correct for any slight deviations from the norm. So if something is "supposed" to happen, it will generally happen one way or another even if you succeed in stopping it, for the sake of keeping the "path of fate" unchanged. If this is accurate, then the creation of paradoxes like the grandfather paradox is a legitimate issue, because it would introduce a deviation that the universe can't simply "correct for". This is similar to the reasoning that convinced Araragi that he could save Mayoi from becoming a ghost, because if he stopped her from being run over on Mother's Day and made sure she got to her mother's house, there would be no way for the universe to easily recreate those very specific circumstances again.

If all time travel to the past just creates a new branching timeline, though, then no paradoxes really exist, because there's no circular logic involved. You can kill your grandfather all you like, that'll just mean you're never born in this timeline; there's no paradox because you were still born in the timeline you came from. It's a very neat way of making time-travel work in a straightforward manner (and has the added bonus that if you screw everything up, you can always just go back to your original world, assuming the available technology allows that).

Well, I could partly believe this if Shinobu had said she used her ultra magical heart killing canon from space to obliterate the surface or some crap but really it was just her being a vampire and biting some people which I assume even in that universe is what vampires are wont to do so so if that's all it took really how would Shinobu be the first?

Personally, I suspect
it wouldn't be very easy for another vampire to destroy the world in the way that Shinobu did. For one thing, it relied on creating generation upon generation of vampires until the curse spread to the entire human population. I suspect most vampires wouldn't have the potency to create that many generations; a turned vampire is generally less powerful than its sire, and I get the impression that siring new vampires isn't very common in this world, so I wouldn't be surprised if most vampires would only be able to create a couple of new generations before the resulting "offspring" became too weak to be viable.

Perhaps more importantly, Shinobu's plan depended specifically on the fact that all her offspring, and their offspring, and their offspring and so forth, would share her desire to destroy the world and work single-mindedly towards accomplishing it. All vampires have the ability to exert some amount of mental influence over their offspring, but those offspring are still individuals with their own desires and values, which I suspect would not usually include destroying the world. Probably only a vampire of Shinobu's potency would be able to exert such total mental domination that all those generations would be united in pursuing such an extreme goal.

Of course, this is all just speculation. I haven't even reached that part in the novel yet, so for all I know there could be some kind of explanations in there that completely contradict everything I'm saying xp

survivor

Banned
I have one episode left from finishing Rozen Maiden, but I just can't push myself to watch it. The last couple of episodes have been so disappointing it put me off from watching the finale for over 2 weeks.

Ryuukan

What do you mean, "good find"? It was tweeted by WTK, just like 99% of the US/JP home video anime news that's posted here.

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/390796211407814656

And if you really want to credit the first person who noticed, that would be this poster here on TFP.

Geez, does it really matter?

None of those are gaf links and no it doesn't matter. I just know DTL is usually quick with news so I just skim for his posts

mAcOdIn

[Monogatari Series Second Season]

It's not so much about who he is, really.
The idea is that if you prevent your own birth, you can't go back in time to prevent your own birth, therefore you are born and do go back to prevent your own birth, etc. It simply can't work, not within one timeline (one timeline = one version of history, you can't both be born and not be born). Doesn't have to be about grandfathers or even living things.
No, no, I understand what the grandfather paradox is I just feel like the alternate dimension route is kind of a lazy way out of it that creates infinitely more problems than the paradox it's meant to prevent.

To put it bluntly, if one says time travel is unlikely because we'd have visitors from the future all the time then wouldn't it be even more likely that the alternate timeline thing is unlikely because then wouldn't we have even more people from alternate dimensions visiting us? After all you'd now not be dealing with just all the human beings, and apparitions in this case, with time traveling powers in all of one timeline's entire existence but now infinite beings with inter-dimensional travel powers across infinite timelines! In an alternate dimension theory where travel between them is possible I don't even know how a single timeline could remain pure to the point I'm not sure it even matters any more!
But it's a story and who knows what's real or not it's just kind of a personal gripe I have with the concept, it did fit in the story so I shouldn't have called it flawed because, who knows, maybe it's a sound theory and just everyone has remarkable dimension hopping restraint, I just find the idea of working through the paradox a little saner myself.

Tenumi

Banned
Yes! Pretty Cure 5 Go Go: 01

So my Precure break lasted a grand total of... 1 week. But I'm refreshed and ready to go again.

So anyway, the Precure have there powers back, even if their attire is a little different. Time to see if there are any other changes,
like the one they're totally not hiding in the Opening and Ending...

cnet128

Banned

So my Precure break lasted a grand total of... 1 week. But I'm refreshed and ready to go again.

So anyway, the Precure have there powers back, even if their attire is a little different. Time to see if there are any other changes,

Shit, I better find some time to watch more Precure or you're gonna overtake me super soon xp

Articalys

None of those are gaf links and no it doesn't matter. I just know DTL is usually quick with news so I just skim for his posts
Well, I guess that means I can leave this thread for good, knowing that every single piece of news will be reliably covered by DTL.

survivor

Banned
Ace of the Diamond 1

Not a big fan of baseball and this anime wasn't based on an Adachi manga so so I was very doubtful that I would even like it, but it turned out to be decent. The silly shounen sports writing is awful and generally ruins most of the good scenes, but I do like the fact that the MC is joining an elite school so it should be more interesting than regular sports anime. Haven't been sold completely by the first episode but might come back to it if I don't find that many shows to watch this season.

duckroll

I don't understand Japanese. What does this mean?

kgM36CS.jpg

Tenumi

Banned
Yes! Pretty Cure 5 Go Go: 02

This title is annoying to type. Good thing it's not a light novel-like title...

So... actually not much of note happened. Precure fight monster, blah blah. Think I'll aim for two a day. Shouldn't be too taxing, and should get the show done quicker.

Well you should be able to handle GoGo better than yes! because you've seen the worst already . Gogo is actually the best part of yes!

The DTL future is now.

So Free! was only the beginning ?

GOTCHA!

Crocodile

Well, I guess that means I can leave this thread for good, knowing that every single piece of news will be reliably covered by DTL.

I honestly never know when you are being sarcastic or when you are being sincere but overall you seem super hard on yourself and I can't figure out why. I think everyone appreciates the contributions you make to this thread & others. Lighten up a bit :)

CorvoSol

The DTL future is now.

It was always coming, when you think about it.

Not her current, but the thing he gonna wear in eps 3 :(
Sad stuff..

Ah, entendi.

I don't want to imagine that type of future...

DTL future is still better than the CG future.

I don't want to go to class. I want to watch Kill LA Kill dammit.

YEAH. ME EITHER. But I'll still go to class anyway . . .

Erigu

[Monogatari Series Second Season... but mostly time travel stuff, really]
No, no, I understand what the grandfather paradox is I just feel like the alternate dimension route is kind of a lazy way out of it that creates infinitely more problems than the paradox it's meant to prevent.
Whoa, that's an odd thing to say. ^_^;
I mean, a grandfather paradox wouldn't simply "cause some problems": it would absolutely break the timeline. The universe would be broken. Not just "bad shit would happen": it simply wouldn't be a working universe. Get another one!
That's why people came up with the idea of ending up in another world altogether: as grandiose a solution as it may seem, since we're avoiding grandfather paradoxes, that would work and therefore be infinitely better than the above.

The way I see it, there really aren't many options anyway:
1) Time travel isn't possible.
2) Time travel is possible, but changing the past isn't...
2a) ... as the time traveler becomes some kind of ghost absolutely unable to interact with his surroundings.
2b) ... as anything the time traveler does in the past actually is what had happened in the past anyway.
2c) ... as any jump to the past actually sends the time traveler to a parallel world (identical to the original up to the point where the time traveler appears, seemingly out of nowhere).
Etc. (any ideas?)
Basically, anything as long as you keep your time traveler from actually altering the past of his own timeline because, logically speaking, "we just can't have that".
(of course, a lot of writers ignore that anyway, but hey! pet peeve!)

I'd link to Wikipedia, but the last time I checked, the articles were in pretty bad shape... Tohoho...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is he the president of all the states, or just the ones which agreed?

Uh.... well... he's the president of the United States so all of the states that are part of the US. So... yeah... all the states in the US. Which also agreed to be part of the US.

[Monogatari Series Second Season... but mostly time travel stuff, really]

Whoa, that's an odd thing to say. ^_^;
I mean, a grandfather paradox wouldn't simply "cause some problems": it would absolutely break the timeline. The universe would be broken. Not just "bad shit would happen": it simply wouldn't be a working universe. Get another one!
That's why people came up with the idea of ending up in another world altogether: as grandiose a solution as it may seem, since we're avoiding grandfather paradoxes, that would work and therefore be infinitely better than the above.

The way I see it, there really aren't many options anyway:
1) Time travel isn't possible.
2) Time travel is possible, but changing the past isn't...
2a) ... as the time traveler becomes some kind of ghost absolutely unable to interact with his surroundings.
2b) ... as anything the time traveler does in the past actually is what had happened in the past anyway.
2c) ... as any jump to the past actually sends the time traveler to a parallel world (identical to the original up to the point where the time traveler appears, seemingly out of nowhere).
Etc. (any ideas?)
Basically, anything as long as you keep your time traveler from actually altering the past of his own timeline because, logically speaking, "we just can't have that".
(of course, a lot of writers ignore that anyway, but hey! pet peeve!)

I'd link to Wikipedia, but the last time I checked, the articles were in pretty bad shape... Tohoho...

you forgot 2d)
.... as anything done in the past that would affect the future will be corrected by some force or law of the universe to prevent any paradox ( even if you tried to kill your grandfather , you wouldn't be able to )

You also have the 2e, the "doctor who" solution
Time is timey, woobly stuff and isn't in a straight line and as a result can be rewritten as many times as necessary. Time can even be stopped( and the universe too ) time so "timey" that you can't explain it with human words... in short you can do whatever you want

Gazoinks

Samurai Flamenco 02

This episode worked a lot better for me, although it's a little hard to define why. It's probably partly an expectations thing, but even so I found it generally more likable. Masayoshi's character felt a bit better, with the lecturing toned down a little, and I found some of the funny bits actually funny. The scene were Masayoshi was chasing after the umbrella thief was nice, too. I'm glad I liked this episode more, because I did want to like this series.

Also looks like we have a love interest for Masayoshi. Unless she turns out to be Goto's girlfriend. Love triangle?

arkon

Who is Obama?

He is Osama's brother. The clue is in the name. If you want to know more play Kojima's Meal Gear games (start with Solid 1, because nobody played anything before that). Those games are chronicles of his prophetic visions. Truths beyond the truth. Once you see the patterns. Holy shit....

survivor

Banned
Yowamushi Pedal 1

This looks much more visually pleasing than the baseball and more wacky fun than serious drama. The bikes do like utter shit, but at the very least the non biking scenes are decent.

The guys are damn hot, this thread did not lie.

Erigu

you forgot 2d)
.... as anything done in the past that would affect the future will be corrected by some force or law of the universe to prevent any paradox
I didn't forget it, I ignored it because it makes no sense to me! Aggrh!
Basically, it's the good old "you can go back to the past, but you can't prevent Hitler's birth, man, 'cause that's history!", but why would the universe / the laws of physics / whatever care so much about Hitler's birth and still let me do other "trivial" stuff on the side? What are the criteria for what needs to happen and what "doesn't really matter so knock yourself out!"? Does human history mysteriously trump the fate of the ant I stepped on right after my jump to the past? That ant had a family!
And even if "correcting" things so the exact same outcome would result sometime down the line were possible, as long as it takes time for these things to get sorted out, you still end up with a paradoxical/nonsensical period in your timeline, so that's no good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom