• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
tumblr_inline_mpwnr6dfNr1qz4rgp.gif

I am just going to assume they are dancing to this.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
the only thing more embarrassing than linkin park is people pretending to be linkin park.

IS S2 Ep. 2 - In this episode, Russia trolls the rest of the cast unremittingly. This is fortunate, because there wasn't much of anything else decent, ore even entertainingly bad, about this episode. Yeah, it's another disappointment for sure, which is why I didn't bother writing something for it last week. But now that ep. 3 actually was okay, I guess I should... so yeah, in this episode, Russia trolls them. She shows that she's a great fighter ant beats Ichika at Judo and Houki and Laura at fighting with IS weapons, trolls Ichika with a fake "naked apron", trolls the girls by bringing out their tsun/yan sides, etc. Still though, despite that, this episode wasn't exactly good. Some amusing elements do not make up for the sheer mediocrity of the episode, or for the serious disappointment of how badly they're messing up the characters this season.

I mean, this season, all five girls feel very yandere! In S1, only Rin (China) was yandere; the other four did not attack Ichika much at all. This time, though, all five beat on him "comically" again and again. It's stupid, and isn't in character at all. This series is supposed to have a bunch of tsundere girls, sure, but adding in all this "Ichida does dumb thing and then they hit him" moments makes the series worse, not better. As I sai in my ep. 1 review, this director clearly just doesn't quite get what made IS fun. Too bad.

Infinite Stratos S2 Ep. 3 - Now this is more like what I'd been hoping for! Okay, the fact that now all five girls regularly hit Ichika is still very stupid and a major negative trend -- in S1 only China hit him with any regularity, not the others; now they're all yan-tsunderes, or something, I guess? Just being tsundere was enough!

But anyway, considering how badly disappointing, and bad, the first two episodes of this season were, and the problems with the changes (aka downgrades/making-it-generic elements) to the franchise, I was kind of giving up on this season... but while this episode doesn't fix all of the problems, it is by far IS S2's best episode so far. The old IS does not return here, but what you do get is an amusing and entertaining episode. This episode also actually kind of follows a coherent plot, for the first time this season: it's about the school festival the last episode talked about. The first part of the episode has harem antics in the classes' maid/butler cafe. It's alright, but nothing special. The second half is the better part, as Russia, trolling again, puts Ichika into a costume and tosses him into a quite violent "play" of a unique twist on Cinderella... and then, giving them strong incentive:
she claims that the winner will get to room with Ichika
, has all five of his haremites come after him, trying to get the crown off his head, each armed with a different weapon (note: not their IS suits). The results are about as expected, and the action is entertaining. That's one big "stage"! They don't really try to explain why some of the girls apparently give up on chasing him, but hey, this is IS. Who would ever expect competent writing and plot design? But even so, this episode was stupid fun, and was a bit more like what I'd hope an IS thing to be. Was it still bad, and worse than S1? Yes, definitely. This is not quite the same show as S1 was. However, it was somewhat entertaining; the show is improving, at least temporarily. Don't get me wrong though, this is a horrible show "improving" to very bad, but still, that's progress, right?

Oh, and it ends with a cliffhanger ending. I want to watch episode 4 now.

However, while S2's OP is growing on me a bit... it's still got nothing on IS S1's OP. That song is great! I still like it, and it's too bad that the S2 OP couldn't quite match it. I listened to the IS s1 op a few times now while writing this...

B.O.O.M

Kyousougiga > Kill La Kill for me this season...quite easily too. I didn't see it coming but I love this show. Very interesting setting/story/characters + some great action.

tumblr_mu3bkscxLm1qdippyo1_500.gif

Episode 3 cleared a bunch of things about the story. I can't wait for Episode 4 already

mAcOdIn

IS S2
Infinite Stratos S2 Ep. 3 - Now this is more like what I'd been hoping for!

But even so, this episode was stupid fun, and was a bit more like what I'd hope an IS thing to be. Was it still bad, and worse than S1? Yes, definitely. This is not quite the same show as S1 was. However, it was somewhat entertaining; the show is improving, at least temporarily. Don't get me wrong though, this is a horrible show "improving" to very bad, but still, that's progress, right?

What?! So do you want it to go this route or not?

My take, IS 2 - 3 was one of the worst episodes of anything I have ever seen

Kyousougiga > Kill La Kill for me this season...quite easily too. I didn't see it coming but I love this show. Very interesting setting/story/characters + some great action.

tumblr_mu3bkscxLm1qdippyo1_500.gif

Episode 3 cleared a bunch of things about the story. I can't wait for Episode 4 already

Thanks for showing me this. Will watch for sure.

Theonik

Yes, yes you should

YES. ADORABLE.
Fine. I will for science then.

DTL is watching Utena?

DTL future is now.
Good times ahead.

Why isn't this on the list?!

"Blocked in your country"
Damn who ever is responsible.

http://ss-countdown.com/

Toei is doing a mystery countdown that looks like it'll end in about 10 days. Based on the url it seems likely to be related to Saint Seiya - maybe the upcoming CG movie? They also have a temp placeholder page active on this url: http://www.saintseiya2014.com/
It's obviously S3 of SSO!

Mr.Jeff

It feels even more like that the second time through, honestly - it feels like there's a whole bunch of character moments that are supposed to be there to set up certain character attitudes and motivations for the secondary cast in that final act that are simply missing. I mean, there's a bunch of things people say that come across like it's supposed to be some kind of hilarious running gag, but we as the audience had't been let into them. Oh, well, guess it was probably in the book.
Yeah there's a lot of cuts to different characters where you're obviously meant to feel some attachment to them but because you only know them from brief snatches, it's hard to feel the connection to people like Hamaji's brother and Funamori.

I hope you left yourself room to go upwards in the audience voting - the way this normally works is that people really love movies I'm ambivalent about, and hate ones I enthuse over, so you're probably in luck today!
(In all serious, I'm looking forward to Yoyo & Nene today, but the four movie gauntlet I'm in for is going to be hella exhausting. It's easy to forget how ungodly warm that theatre gets when full...)
Alas, I really had to dash last night so couldn't even spare the time to do that. At one point I was giving consideration to kicking some slow people out the way it was that close! The rest of the films I'm seeing all finish at a decent time so I'll be sure to make the effort.

And yeah, no matter the temperature outside, once you're in there it becomes ridiculously warm there on a full house.

cajunator

Banned
Do it, if only for this .gif

ib1R0k9cj3vPIe.gif

In all seriousness did you drop it? If so why? Don't know if you watched Toradora but this show is definitely giving off similar vibes.

Yeah This show looks only to be hugely enjoyable. Although it might turn up the drama big time soon.

i used to see reaction images from this show every single day from the same person. they probably reset their ip address dozens of times a day.

watashi kininarimasu!

PACIFIC RIM

I don't get the hate.

Okay now here are the negatives. Listen 'cuz I'm only gonna cover them once. First, the rain effects, while cool in that they added an element of presence and physicality to objects which don't actually exist, became intrusive and obstructed the camera and a clear view of the fight. That Hong Kong fight would've been much better with rain filters off. The rain was distracting and blocked a clear view, and that was not so great. Second, the actor playing Raleigh, while someone who has plenty of experience, was wooden in his performance, and his entire role left me wishing that Idris Elba's character had taken his place instead. Granted, I accept that as a Hollywood movie, a pretty white guy had to be the lead, but still. On the other hand, it's a hallmark of our genre that the protagonist be subpar anyway.

So did you catch those? Cuz that is all that is wrong with the film. Now here is what I really have to say:

FUCK YES BITCHES THIS IS THE MOVIE OF THE YEAR. ANIME OF THE YEAR. EVERYTHING OF THE YEAR. SCREW ALL OF YOU. SUCK IT DOWN FLOWERS OF EVIL YOU AIN'T GOT ROTOSCOPED SHIT LIKE THIS. BOW TO DEL TORO. BOW TO YOUR NEW GOD OF MECHA. THANK YOU BASED DEL TORO.

I mean really, let's judge this film from the standards of the mecha genre, shall we, and as one that aims more to pay homage to and venerate the standards of the genre. What, then, could possibly have been missing from this film, save it be the Rocket Punch? Otherwise it had everything. Rocket elbow move, a sword from somewhere in the torso, THAT AMAZING KAIJU DRAGON FIGHT, heroic, manly sacrifices, pointless death and wanton destruction! Monsters from below the sea and with little explanation! Interdimensional hijinks! Evangelion mind rape! Piloting a robot as a metaphor for human relationships! It was all there, people. Even had us the questionable Russian mecha pilot team comprised of a big dude Argo Golskii and his sexy, diminuitive, domineering female companion Nastasha.

And again, THAT AMAZING KAIJU DRAGON FIGHT. Serious the thing perches over Gypsy Danger, howls, then
POPS WINGS OUT OF NOWHERE.
Then they're up in the air and Kamille Bidan whines to Emma that they're out of options and she's all "Nope.
It's MOTHER FUCKING SWORD TIME BITCH.
" And then they
SLICE THAT THING IN HALF!
I was fist pumping the air the entire time. That fight was the best part of the ENTIRE movie.

Other notes: LOL at the Wall. It's like Guillermo Del Toro saw one episode of Attack on Titan, said he could do better AND THEN HE DID. Now I know that it isn't hard to jump over a bar that is several million miles below the center of the Earth, but seriously: Pacific Rim shits all over Ass on Titan.

And OF COURSE the Seattle Jaeger got its ass kicked. It's never worth rooting for our teams ever.

Yo and that Kaiju theme! MMMMMMMMM SO GOOD. And widdle Mako-chan! Wanted to give that kid a hug so bad.

Condensed version: PACIFIC RIM SO GOOD MMMMMMMMM

It is indeed SO GOOD.
About damned time something awesome came out of live action resembling anime ideas.

infinite stratos - 1~3

This is basically an assemblage of loosely related scenarios stitched together to sell BDs.

Of course. thats the whole point lol.

You leave me no choice...

sSqzGTg.gif
uHsnYat.gif

This is so amazing. Im happy. So happy.

It's almost like it's worth watching! But then I remember I only have room for one terrible otaku-pandering show with awesome animation this season, and that's Kyoukai no Kanata :p

Lol "almost" is right, that space is valuable. It's the anime equivalent of the one Taylor Swift album on my iPod(sorry T Swizzle).

So how well does the Log Horizon anime visually compare to the manga?

Based on that image, the presentation in the anime is kind of bland comparatively, but the style is accurate. Shiroe is practically identical.

http://ss-countdown.com/

Toei is doing a mystery countdown that looks like it'll end in about 10 days. Based on the url it seems likely to be related to Saint Seiya - maybe the upcoming CG movie? They also have a temp placeholder page active on this url: http://www.saintseiya2014.com/

Saint Seiya OMega year 3 incoming?

So how well does the Log Horizon anime visually compare to the manga?

The visuals are kind of log horizon's weakpoint.

Dragoshi1

Pokemon XY 1

I really, really don't want to watch 50+ episodes of Ash being a loser again.

But goddamnit, I'm really considering just bearing through the pain of watching filler after filler, just to see more of Serena and Bonnie/Eureka.

Also Froakie is a bro. Ash incompetence better not keep him from evolving into a badass ninja frog.

The jump in quality between last season and this new season is amazing.

Much better animation and visual effects all around. From the beginning Fletchling sequence to Garchomp's city rampage(DAMN, it's been a while since I've seen a Pokemon messing up a city!), everything is so much better than the previous seasons.

What sucks is the terrible dubbing choices that will be used with this show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Episode 3:

The visual production values of Log Horizon are indeed lacking, especially compared to Sword Art Online. That being said this is still la refreshing series that certainly does not mind take the piss out of SAO every now again.
This week, taking a dig at Asuna Cooking Genius and freaking out over PKing.
Anyway, I could not call this anything other then an average at best episode as we see our heroes trapize through the Mines of Moria in order to reach their plot goal of saving a crucial Crescent Moon Alliance member
from the sadly cliched Brigand Guild which rules the local area with an iron and spiked fist.
Also, some back-story of our heroes including the revelation that
Akatsuki is in college, yes, we are playing that metagame here
Meanwhile the Cajuniator twins are holding a big all hands meeting about something while other people are keeping tabs of the doings that are transpiring. Right, even though Log Horizon has problems and issues, it is still giving me what I really want, unlike other series that shall forever be Samurai Flamenco, and that is an MMO anime that actually is an MMO anime. This will be getting a full watch from me.

Log Horizon 3

Boss fight made the episode interesting and a blast
overpowered mind break* or whatever attack it was called, ftw, so intense

Meanwhile the other stuff was boring. I think the details are often unnecessary (did we really need to know how friends are added to the friendlist and how you talk to them via telepathy, kind of a waste of three minutes). And antagonist entity is a bit boring too
bandits are pretty unoriginal even if after serara

Infinite Stratos 2 - Ep 3

Yep, this was IS at its haremshit (to borrow a term from Cajun) finest. But I would expect nothing less. Also, dat scene with Charles...if you've watched the episode I don't even have to say anything more ;).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon 3

Boss fight made the episode interesting and a blast
overpowered mind break* or whatever attack it was called, ftw, so intense

Meanwhile the other stuff was boring. I think the details are often unnecessary (did we really need to know how friends are added to the friendlist and how you talk to them via telepathy, kind of a waste of three minutes). And antagonist entity is a bit boring too
bandits are pretty unoriginal even if after serara

For me details like that make the show, reminds the audience this is operating under fairly realistic MMO rules. Anyway, the
bandits
look to be a localized threat at best, so it isn't too bad, but yea, still cliched as hell.

cnet128

Banned
The last 2 pages have been gif heavy , not that i mind , but ...this hasn't happenned in a while.

That dancing dog-girl (and her friends I guess) are clearly amazing enough to single-handedly justify it.

I think this may be yet another adorable magical girl series I have to watch at some point.

BluWacky

Playing a bit of catch-up:

Kill La Kill 2

Maybe it's just because I know what I'm expecting now but I didn't find this episode as "wearying" as the first. It's still ridiculously over-the-top but I think I took more pleasure in the crazy animation this time round rather than feeling browbeaten into submission by everyone screaming. I enjoyed all the Ace wo Nerae stuff, too.

I'm never going to be a fan of Imaishi as a director, but I might end up liking Kill La Kill as a show; you never know.

Samurai Flamenco 2

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the first one (which I also liked). I found the end of the first episode uncomfortable to watch due to how "wajah" it felt watching Masayoshi get ridiculed and beaten up, but here his naive attitude and ridiculous sense of justice was portrayed in a more endearingly positive light. More importantly, the show continues to open up its world view with Masayoshi's work life etc.

One has to wonder what the tagline "for all those adults who don't want to grow up" is supposed to mean for this show. Is Masayoshi going to abandon the Samurai Flamenco lifestyle once he realises that sometimes you don't have to obey the rules etc. thus making the show slightly moralising? Is there going to be some kind of cop element to the show, or will it continue to play out in this slightly slice-of-life manner? I'm curious to find out.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Watched a bunch more of episodes 2-3 of the new season. An awful lot of secondary character death to drive narrative. Admittedly not much of it will stick. Rather cheap that.
This has to be one of the most cryptic spoilers I've seen. Now I'm going to watch every show expecting a death to occur.

Little Busters! Refrain Episode 3 – I Wanted to Stay Here Forever

Could have explained things but still :(
where is Kyousuke, was more sad that he'd be gone a bit, but still the tears for Kurugaya san, :(

The song at the end was nice with the vocals.

Log horizon - 03

The fact that the main character is actually smart and not cocky is actually a nice change of pace ... i actually like many aspect of the world and the psychology behind it.

It seems like the level max is 90.. kinda intresting to see them roaming without petty escuses like leveling up or better equipement , they already have that ...so what remain is human interractions and tactics , not a bad choice for this anime.

I also liked the "Assasinate" moment , my first MMO class in my first MMO was "assasin" so that did bring a nice smile on my face .

DATABASE DATABASE wowooooo

duckroll

Samurai Flamenco 2

One has to wonder what the tagline "for all those adults who don't want to grow up" is supposed to mean for this show. Is Masayoshi going to abandon the Samurai Flamenco lifestyle once he realises that sometimes you don't have to obey the rules etc. thus making the show slightly moralising? Is there going to be some kind of cop element to the show, or will it continue to play out in this slightly slice-of-life manner? I'm curious to find out.

I think it means exactly what it says. The show is about grown up manchildren functioning within society out of necessity but being discontent with being unable to express how they really feel sometimes because of the expectations of society. The childishness here is not a negative thing, but rather a resistance to the concept that at some point we have to "grow up" and cast away our toys and ideals to enter the "real world".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom