• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ihSX8iNURTiD5.gif

I really hope that old guy gets turned into a fine paste in a future episode.

Has anyone here watched Natsume Yuujinchou?

I see it and its sequels really highly rated in MyAnimeList, but not sure if worth watching.

Natsume is a good show, or at least the first two seasons and half of the fourth season are good. At its best it's a sensitive, bittersweet portrayal of the messy relationship between humans and the supernatural.

Quasar

White Album 2 3

Unless this show goes way off the rails, this is probably my third favorite of the season (unless Samurai Flamenco turns out awesome). I really like the sort of low-key naturalist feel the show has, something that's annoyingly rare in this genre. There are funny bits, but no forced slapstick comedy. The characters have chemistry with each other, and they reveal character traits through their actions (Touma's "You don't take your coffee black?" was great) instead of through flashbacks and monologues.

And I will get down on my knees again and sing praises in honor of Kitahara not being a loser. You can actually see why the girls might fall for him, because he's a good guy with redeeming traits! Also preachy but whatever!

Yeah. Surprising that an eroge would turn out like this. Though thats probably my non experience with eroge talking. Probably says something that this would probably be in my top 3 as well (with Golden Time and Nagi).

So Setsunas family life is not all hugs and puppies.

Log Horizon - 02

Another fun episode, I really enjoyed how Shiro went over the quick but still understandable descriptions of the moves used in the ambush. And the comedic elements are fun too. Seems that death-in-game is not a big aspect in the show, wonder what its overall theme is (aside from being a MMO)

Log Horizon - 02

Another fun episode, I really enjoyed how Shiro went over the quick but still understandable descriptions of the moves used in the ambush. And the comedic elements are fun too. Seems that death-in-game is not a big aspect in the show, wonder what its overall theme is (aside from being a MMO)

I think a lot of the show will be spent on Shiro opening up to others.

Gazoinks

So Setsunas family life is not all hugs and puppies.

Yeah, I kind of hope they don't actually do too much family drama, honestly. I like that Setsuna seems like a pretty well-adjusted person in general (and they even kind of made of fun that in EP 2), so I hope that's maintained. It does seem like they're doing some contrast between Setsuna's over-protective family and Touma's lack of one.

Mr.Jeff

Upon seeing Yoyo and Nene again.... My opinion is pretty much the same. I really enjoy that movie, but, man, it way over-labours it's points to the point of annoyance. Still stuck my audience in the Very Good bag, because it's still probably my favourite if the competition movies.

Anyway, time for Patema Inverted... Again :)

(PS - I was the guy who JC called out (again) before the movie for my seeing-things-twice tendencies ^^;)
Aha, I saw that and wondered if that was you.

So Jeff's Pointless review of day 3 of SLA! (yay)
Yoyo to Nene.
I'm perhaps not quite as ambivalent about it as DiGiKerot. I can appreciate why he says it feels too long. I can only pinpoint this down to his point that he noted out that while it's called Yoyo to Nene, Nene does next to fuck all throughout the course of the movie, nor does her sidekick who I felt could have been brilliant but then I have a huge liking of Takehito Koyasu doing comedic roles after Saber Marionette J.

Yoyo on her own is a largely enjoyable ball of energy who seems mostly competent herself so it's confusing why Nene is needed. All the rebuttals and sensibleness comes from Takahiro (ZachDeK, take note, it's Miyuki Sawashiro!). For Cajun though, there is quite simply an adorable little girl of a younger sister who is pure :cajun personified.

Plotwise, it's a ostensibly a child's movie which kinda comes across but the final plot point explanation is a bit oddly complex for the theme. Beyond that, it's a pretty straight forward movie with all the usual themes you'd expect for the age group - although there is a scene with a cat which genders more emotion than it should.

Visuals then. I'm never really confident about this since I have no eye for such things but while there are some beautifully detailed and colourful backgrounds and great location shots, nothing particularly stood out and screamed technically impressive. That said, there were no instances I can think of which I felt were poorly done in any way. Make of that what you will.

Verdict: While I could quibble over the plot and it's execution, it's still a very worthwhile film to go watch even if it won't set the world on fire.

Patema Inverted
Probably favourite movie so far I think. I'll echo the sentiments about the main antagonist being far too over the top. His extreme reaction against the protaganists is one that isn't really given much reason to. Not to mention, despite a brutal looking soldiers being featured a lot, the idea of a suppressed society isn't really shown all that much which begs the question why is there this need of overly menacing force. A stricter regime and perhaps a more restrained antagonist who later snaps would probably have worked better.

That said, the film overall is quite nicely paced overall. The protagonists have some pretty believable characterisation although I would say it probably favours the male lead more. Arguable plot points about the antagonist aside, it was a pretty enjoyable ride. The theme of inversion carries out nicely throughout the film and ties in nicely with the characters and their motivations.

Visually, I'd argue that while it's nothing over the top or bombastic, it has some pretty fantastic use of CG throughout. It's noticable in comparison to the traditional drawing but it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like a certain other film which I will mention next. More competent than the Time of Eve. Some fantastic looking backgrounds in places too.

Overall then, lightning doesn't quite strike after Time of Eve but it's certainly a rather enjoyable effort even if it wasn't wholly successful in some parts. Very well worth checking out at least!

Evangelion 3.0
From the comments people made before when it first appeared, I sorta knew what to expect but still. Terrible. The CG was noticabley cringeworthy and made my skin crawl at various points throughout the film. While I've never particularly been a fan of the plot it struck me as being handled extremely haphazardly, especially in the initial 20 minutes.
Plus point: they seemed to be - albeit cackhandedly - trying to explain what the fuck was going on but thanks to techno pseudo religion/science babble none of it makes sense and probably won't. Only other plus was that the music was pretty great.

Last day tomorrow: Aura and Steins Gate.

Has anyone here watched Natsume Yuujinchou?

I see it and its sequels really highly rated in MyAnimeList, but not sure if worth watching.

Way too bland, imo. The characters, the plots, most can be described as "weak". This type of series need of a strong, interesting direction and characters and it doesn't reach that level.

Watch Mushishi if you want supernatural dealing in episodic form, or Aria if you want soothing SoL.

wsippel

Banned
Shes pretty cute. So is this like Maou sama?
It's to Maou-sama what Dakara Boku Wa was to High School DxD: A bad clone. But not really, because it's actually quite different on one hand while aping the superior show much more closely on the other. Even the title card in every episode is pretty much a rip-off. Still, Fino is pretty cute I guess. Also, unusual for an ecchi harem show, Fino doesn't punch the main character when he sees her boobs.

Thanks for the impressions! I'm still very much looking forward to seeing Patema and Yoyo and Nene. I'll be curious to see how different, if at all, the final cut is to the one shown at SLA, and if it fixes any of the pacing complaints you and DiGiKerot have.

Yoyo to Nene.

Yoyo on her own is a largely enjoyable ball of energy who seems mostly competent herself so it's confusing why Nene is needed. All the rebuttals and sensibleness comes from Takahiro (ZachDeK, take note, it's Miyuki Sawashiro!). For Cajun though, there is quite simply an adorable little girl of a younger sister who is pure :cajun personified.

Voicing a male? How awful. In all seriousness the movie does look neat from the trailer I saw a few weeks back, will certainly watch it whenever it gets a BD release.

Articalys

Speaking of title cards, I like how Log Horizon has the characters read the episode title out-loud, though I suppose airing Saturdays at 5pm makes it more likely. Do any of the usual late-night anime shows even do that anymore?

It's to Maou-sama what Dakara Boku Wa was to High School DxD: A bad clone. But not really, because it's actually quite different on one hand while aping the superior show much more closely on the other. Even the title card in every episode is pretty much a rip-off. Still, Fino is pretty cute I guess. Also, unusual for an ecchi harem show, Fino doesn't punch the main character when he sees her boobs.

eh... what?

Yu-sibu is a rip-off because it uses the same generic LN cover style for the title card like Maou-sama?
Both shows are completly differently,content and presentation wise, not sure how people can make the connection in the first place.

Mr.Jeff

Thanks for the impressions! I'm still very much looking forward to seeing Patema and Yoyo and Nene. I'll be curious to see how different, if at all, the final cut is to the one shown at SLA, and if it fixes any of the pacing complaints you and DiGiKerot have.
I wouldn't say that the film is paced particularly bad; certainly all of Yoyo's scenes feel like they should be there. It comes more from her sister Nene who seems a bit superfluous to needs and only really becomes involved when there's a plotpoint that needs to be expanded on or resolved needlessly but otherwise is just there.

Voicing a male? How awful. In all seriousness the movie does look neat from the trailer I saw a few weeks back, will certainly watch it whenever it gets a BD release.
There's worse fates for Sawashiro. I mean she was in Evangelion 3.0 for all of five minutes and that's a dreadful film!

BluWacky

Speaking of title cards, I like how Log Horizon has the characters read the episode title out-loud, though I suppose airing Saturdays at 5pm makes it more likely. Do any of the usual late-night anime shows even do that anymore?

Not that I'm aware of - not even Hunter X Hunter in its new time slot. Perhaps it's just a consequence of the kinds of shows I watch but I barely even remember title cards existing in half of them! (although Kill La Kill has them, but then Kill La Kill is deliberately evoking memories of older anime).

BluWacky

Both shows are completly differently in content and presentation, not sure how people can make the connection in the first place.

It's a comedy, based on a light novel, about fantasy characters working part time jobs. At least that's how I made the connection between them.

Serious

I'm genuinely enjoying Yuushibu more than I did Maou-sama. Maou-sama never seemed to stick to it's strengths for me, eschewing the fish out of water comedy for romance, when I found all of the female leads incredibly bland. To be fair, that's my opinion of Maou-sama after it's full run, I can't remember my feelings about that show when I was 3 episodes in.

They're different shows, though. Yuushibu's far more low brow, but I'm perfectly fine with that. And it's worth noting that Yuushibu got the go ahead for an adaption well before Maou-sama started airing, though I have no idea whether the LN's author wanted to rip off the Maou-sama LN. The Hero and Demon King premise has always been a thing.

It's a comedy, based on a light novel, about fantasy characters working part time jobs. At least that's how I made the connection between them.

Well, it's like comparing K-On with Girls und Panzer because there are some obvious similarities although both are fundamentally different.

DiGiKerot

Just to clarify (particularly given I've see. It twice now), but it's not so much that I think it has pacing problems, more that, even as a kids movie, I think it underestimates the audience to the point where there's two or three specific scenes which overrun for the sake of battering the audience over the head with the point it is trying to make, long after it should be been obvious.

Much like that last sentence I just wrote...

Log Horizon - 03

Dungeon-delving episode woot! What can I say I like RPGs and more importantly I like the exploration factor. Miniboss battle was pretty neat and
Akatsuki being same age of Shirou will be interesting. Romance is all good just leave out the marriage proposals and pseudo-families.... *cough* SAO *cough* Not feeling the cat-character though... ehhhhh.

The dynamic between the main cast so far is great, this show I will be definitly keeping up with.

Log Horizon - 03

Dungeon-delving episode woot! What can I say I like RPGs and more importantly I like the exploration factor. Miniboss battle was pretty neat and
Akatsuki being same age of Shirou will be interesting. Romance is all good just leave out the marriage proposals and pseudo-families.... *cough* SAO *cough* Not feeling the cat-character though... ehhhhh.

The dynamic between the main cast so far is great, this show I will be definitly keeping up with.

I have a feeling that Mr. Nyan
will be one of the old members of Shiro's guild

LayLa

Katanagatari 7-12

an hour later and i'm still trying to figure out how i feel about the last episode, probably need to sleep on it tbh
this series did a great job of giving mixed emotions. scenes could be funny and creepy and tragic, all at the same time
i'm sad it's over. cheerio Katanagatari
also gave me some great material for my ludicrous picture blog!

Vampire Hunter D BloodLust

I found the DVD while going through an old box of DVDs. Amano art work is god tier. The production values are out of this world. This is bringing back some really good memories. I want my anime like this :(

Branduil

Beyond the Boundary 3

Oh boy this "joke" again. Surely incest-fetish jokes are the height of comedy.

At least the action is still kind of neat. Maybe someone or everyone will die in the next episode.

DiGiKerot

Yoyo to Nene.
I'm perhaps not quite as ambivalent about it as DiGiKerot. I can appreciate why he says it feels too long. I can only pinpoint this down to his point that he noted out that while it's called Yoyo to Nene, Nene does next to fuck all throughout the course of the movie, nor does her sidekick who I felt could have been brilliant but then I have a huge liking of Takehito Koyasu doing comedic roles after Saber Marionette J.

I get the feeling I probably came across as being way more ambivalent about the movie than I probably am - I'm terrible at explaining why I like things. I actually, genuinely, really like most of the movie. It's just that I (a) was underwhelmed by the animation (it's certainly of a movie standard, but compared to how much ufotable overachieved with Fate/Zero for TV, it's a little disappointing), and (b) felt it was about as subtle as having a bottle of Irn Bru rammed down your throat. I mean, parts of the ending are one thing, but the whole scene where
Bihaku comes close to death
runs several minutes longer than it takes to actually make it's, admittedly, important point. Something about that one scene in particular just ended up tickling me the wrong way.

Plotwise, it's a ostensibly a child's movie which kinda comes across but the final plot point explanation is a bit oddly complex for the theme. Beyond that, it's a pretty straight forward movie with all the usual themes you'd expect for the age group - although there is a scene with a cat which genders more emotion than it should.

I'm not really sure it's complex, more it's rather muddled. I mean, it's not NeraGaku levels of unparsable, but I'm not really sure they adequately actually explain much of what is happening there.

Patema Inverted
Probably favourite movie so far I think. I'll echo the sentiments about the main antagonist being far too over the top. His extreme reaction against the protaganists is one that isn't really given much reason to. Not to mention, despite a brutal looking soldiers being featured a lot, the idea of a suppressed society isn't really shown all that much which begs the question why is there this need of overly menacing force. A stricter regime and perhaps a more restrained antagonist who later snaps would probably have worked better.

That said, the film overall is quite nicely paced overall. The protagonists have some pretty believable characterisation although I would say it probably favours the male lead more. Arguable plot points about the antagonist aside, it was a pretty enjoyable ride. The theme of inversion carries out nicely throughout the film and ties in nicely with the characters and their motivations.

Honestly, I kind of sour on everything from the
sky factory
onwards. It's when the film starts to feel like it's trying just a little too hard to be clever, and
I don't think that final reveal works anywhere near as well as it might have in a shorter movie that hadn't already had the sky factory scene
. I still really like the first half hour, and mostly like the second act up until the aforementioned spoiler, but if they'd cut that and a bunch the crazy guy stuff from the movie and trimmed it down to an hour, I'd have been happier with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom