• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvaz

Banned
I liked the first episode's translation of them as Super Suits. That sounds better than Goku Suits. That doesn't even make sense.

jman2050

All anime is bad. Some people just have worse tastes than others so they can enjoy more.

What AnimeGAF sees itself as:

63Elgu5.jpg

What AnimeGAF actually is:

BTEWu2H.jpg

I sold all of mine last month to prepare a war chest to buy GTA$ with.

When you're driving that Infernus with your sell-out money you might enjoy it the first day.

Heck even the first week.

Maybe even the first month. But after a couple of years you'll start to regret it. Where are my anime animal girls dancing to nothing in particular? They're long gone. Left in the dust of your brand new GTA car.

Arguing about whether one anime is better than another is like arguing whether one type of fried chicken is healthier than another. Or maybe soda brands. Lol.
You can easily argue which brand of soda tastes better, which is a better analogy for what happens with anime in this thread.

Narag

oh yeah forgot about this stuff

Takane no Jitensha

Beautiful little show that gave me a loose Labyrinth vibe. I should clarify as I meant that thematically rather than setting.

Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru

Surprising take on the whole incest angle as it explores just how damaging it is. Shame the melodrama is dialed up to 11 and it ends up comical as fuck instead.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I've thoroughly enjoyed every work Imaishi has directed with the exception of Dead Leaves so there! :p

Imaishi Defense force assmble!

KLK reminds me more of Dead Leaves than anything else he's done

I like Dead Leaves more than his other stuff though. Mostly because it didn't overstay its welcome.

Animation style reminds me of medabots, which is the main reason I'm still watching

I'm enjoying Kill La Kill but I don't think it's the savior of anime unlike what the internet wants to make me believe.

In fact I think stuff like Kyousougiga and Uchouten Kazoku (barring the early cross dressing) is closer to anime's savior. While stuff like Shingeki No Kyojin, with its mass appeal, being the spokesperson.

Any new romance animes that are showing potential? It's practically the only genre of anime that I look for. Let me know!

If you include cheesy harem into the mix, there would be more, but if not White Album 2 and Golden Time are the two right now. No overly dramatic melodrama, characters are likable.

I'm enjoying Kill La Kill but I don't think it's the savior of anime unlike what the internet wants to make me believe.

In fact I think stuff like Kyousougiga and Uchouten Kazoku (barring the early cross dressing) is closer to anime's savior. While stuff like Shingeki No Kyojin, with its mass appeal, being the spokesperson.

What do you have against cross dressing?

What do you have against cross dressing?

I'm uncomfortable with it. And I personally don't think it's the best route for anime so it can become bigger and better. I tolerate it, doesn't mean I have to like it. Zombie Desu Ka I was fine with it since it was very comedic in its effect, but even then I wasn't comfortable with it.

I'm answering with the assumption you're not being tongue in cheek since I can never tell when discussing anime.

Pooya

Toy Story of TERROR

Rain and lighting when the car arrives at the motel look good.
Great fun short, best thing with PIXAR name on it since... Toy Story 3.

Articalys

Not really anime related but yall help get the squee of Vanguard Princess on steam http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=187111395 cause it looks animeish and :cajun and stuff and I needs it.

also watch Golden Time cause Koko loves you!
Hahaha the last couple pictures aren't even screenshots, they're photos from when they were showing the game off at a convention or something

There's even one with Utena cosplayers checking the game out:

I'm uncomfortable with it. And I personally don't think it's the best route for anime so it can become bigger and better. I tolerate it, doesn't mean I have to like it. Zombie Desu Ka I was fine with it since it was very comedic in its effect, but even then I wasn't comfortable with it.

I'm answering with the assumption you're not being tongue in cheek since I can never tell when discussing anime.

You don't have to like it, but I don't see it as an impediment to general acceptance of anime (if that's what you're talking about with the "savior of anime" thing), much less a flaw in a show. It just needs to be in a proper context, such as gender identify in Wandering Son or folklore in Eccentric Family. When it's treated as fetishistic or something to make fun of, then it becomes a problem.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, this. I think Hyouka is good, very good even, but not the best thing KyoAni have ever made. (That's Nichijou, closely followed by Haruhi.)
I take it you're a Dane Cook fan.
Jesus. lol

It's pretty damn inspiring (partially due to the fantastic ost) and has a protagonist in his 30s. Really got the whole "follow your dreams no matter what age you are" thing down very well.
The show really opens up like 30 episodes in... but man, those initial arcs are a slog unfortunately.
If the movie didn't completely fuck around with the timeline, I'd almost recommend watching that and then going to the anime. lol

---

Speaking of which, here's the awkward bit of writing from the latest Space Brothers:
sy7zx9Ml.png

I order adult coffees all the time!

---

I guess in lieu of watching any new shows, I continue to watch sequels to shows I watched previously. Little Busters got weirdly artistic this week. Well, I don't know if artistic is the right word, but like that Chihiro episode of TWGOK, you have a director who took some presumably banal source material about dorama and whatnot and tried to make it visually interesting.

I'm sure it's been done before, but I haven't seen someone use fading backgrounds before myself. It's a neat little visual effect that tied in thematically with the scene.
hWXW6B6l.png

I think you can still see the backgrounds faintly at this point.

Also, I guess if you want a lazy yet somewhat different way of showing fading memories:
7raJ8Fbl.png

There ya go. lol

I do say, how they used this arc to tie into the metaplot was a bit surprising. But if this season really is 6 episodes, they need to do what they need to do.

Quasar

J
I guess in lieu of watching any new shows, I continue to watch sequels to shows I watched previously. Little Busters got weirdly artistic this week. Well, I don't know if artistic is the right word, but like that Chihiro episode of TWGOK, you have a director who took some presumably banal source material about dorama and whatnot and tried to make it visually interesting.

I'm sure it's been done before, but I haven't seen someone use fading backgrounds before myself. It's a neat little visual effect that tied in thematically with the scene.

I think you can still see the backgrounds faintly at this point.

Also, I guess if you want a lazy yet somewhat different way of showing fading memories:

There ya go. lol

I do say, how they used this arc to tie into the metaplot was a bit surprising. But if this season really is 6 episodes, they need to do what they need to do.

I don't think I understood what the episode was trying to say. That this is all Riki dreaming? For a bit i have wondered about any connection between Rikis dreaming and his narcolepsy.

Monogatari S2 EP 12-14
This is how you build up Sengoku. Snake girl was at the literal bottom of the heap, but she has pretty much climbed past Bee and Phoenix. Gotta love Sengoku's new found expressiveness and Shinobu's sick burns. This is much closer to the monogatari I've been wanting to watch since the ending of Bakemono. Can't wait to see the snake arc ends. Her particular oddity is probably the second best behind Shinobu.

Galilei Donna EP 1-2
Plot is moving forward at a snail's pace and no one besides Hozuki has much traction with me so far. Needs a little speeding up and more characterization for the two sisters than karate girl and pirate bait.
I can't remember the last time the parents were majorly involved in the lives
of the main characters so it would have been a nice change of pace to see them with the girls. Alas... it was not meant to be.

Kyokai no Kanata EP 3
Outside of the fetish skit this is what I expect if we talk strictly visuals. Nase is the best girl so far for dashing the hopes and dreams of both the pervs. Mirai needs more traumatizing if she can't get over her own problems (you ain't the only one who is considered a monster, honey) and it looks like she'll get plenty of that in the next episode.

Strike the blood EP 3
Traumatizing boat

Will continue to watch.

Hajime no Ippo EP 3
An unexpected left hook for this series, but funny nonetheless. It's great how Kumi recognizes her major handicap versus the other ladies and kudos on showing all three who the final boss of the show really is. Boxers are tough, but moms are tougher. Aoki really made this episode, though. Dude is an idiot with the crazy weight swings, but I know how it feels. Can't wait to see frog man strut his stuff.

Itagaki's sister will have more screen time than Itagaki himself. I'm calling it now. :p
Yeah, this. I think Hyouka is good, very good even, but not the best thing KyoAni have ever made. (That's Nichijou, closely followed by Haruhi.)
You and me? We're bros now whether you like it or not.

cajunator

Banned
No, nuts is claiming "Imaishi has the only director worth paying attention to in anime."

Hes good but hardly the only one.

I've thoroughly enjoyed every work Imaishi has directed with the exception of Dead Leaves so there! :p

Imaishi Defense force assmble!

I even enjoyed that one!

Brandy is swinging at air, I don't even have any particular fondness for Imaishi!

Also Haruhi is better than Hyouka as well.

Well, yes thats true.

Nichijou IS pretty fantastic.

So for those who watch Uchuu Kyoudai/Space Brothers, what's the show about? Do you recommend it?

Space Bros is fantastic but really lengthy at this point.
Definitely recommend it without hesitation.

He specializes in being loud and extreme, which is what Nichijou likes to do.

Excel Saga did it first!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just for the sake of argument what do you consider good anime humor? To clarify I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm curious if there's an anime style of comedy I've missed besides the screaming, the straight man routine, and the "so random it's funny".
Early Takahashi anime, namely Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku. Even though Mamoru Oshii isn't interested in it, he's quite talented at comedy and drama. Shigeru Chiba steals scenes in both shows.

Speaking of Oshii, there's a lot of good character comedy in Patlabor, even if it isn't predominantly comedic. Same with Hajime no Ippo.

Part of the reason I still enjoy magical girl anime is the comedic aspect. Sailor Moon, Ojamajo Doremi, Pretty Sammy. I love Ikuhara's sense of humor, including Utena and Penguin Drum. That Precure so often falls flat here is one reason I'm critical of it. Hosanna has been hyping up Jewelpet but I have yet to check it out.

Azumanga Daioh has a fairly laid back sense of humor, although it's the two teachers that really make it work.

Genshiken is another good slice of life comedy but the whole show hinges on Saki as a foil. Karekano deserves mention too. I seem to like it more than most.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Dirty Pair are classics. As is the original TV run of Slayers.

While they fall more into the straight man/fall guy category, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu and Hare nochi Guu provide good examples of how to succeed at it. The reactions are genuine as they interact with the rest of the cast and aren't inserted just to spell out the joke to the viewer. For example, Guu trolls the fuck out of Hare, so him reacting is natural, and then Guu plays off of that still. It's not an aside. Also notable is its use of horror techniques in the service of comedy. The director of Guu even went on to make Blood-C.

A good example of how NOT to do this is Yuriseijin Naoko-san. Simply pitiful in its spoonfeeding and lack of chemistry.

I'm also big on unintended comedy!

Quasar

White Album 2 is good so far. Mixed feelings on Golden Time, but most of the people here seem to like it.

Nagi too I feel.

With Golden Time I just wonder how far it will get given the number of episodes, the apparent pace of the show and the pace of the manga adaptation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom