• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think I understood what the episode was trying to say. That this is all Riki dreaming? For a bit i have wondered about any connection between Rikis dreaming and his narcolepsy.
Without spoiling, it'll be explained when they reveal the meta plot. Presumably starting next week.

Early Takahashi anime, namely Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku. Even though Mamoru Oshii isn't interested in it, he's quite talented at comedy and drama. Shigeru Chiba steals scenes in both shows.

Speaking of Oshii, there's a lot of good character comedy in Patlabor, even if it isn't predominantly comedic. Same with Hajime no Ippo.

Part of the reason I still enjoy magical girl anime is the comedic aspect. Sailor Moon, Ojamajo Doremi, Pretty Sammy. I love Ikuhara's sense of humor, including Utena and Penguin Drum. That Precure so often falls flat here is one reason I'm critical of it. Hosanna has been hyping up Jewelpet but I have yet to check it out.

Azumanga Daioh has a fairly laid back sense of humor, although it's the two teachers that really make it work.

Genshiken is another good slice of life comedy but the whole show hinges on Saki as a foil. Karekano deserves mention too.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Dirty Pair are classics. As is the original TV run of Slayers.

While they fall more into the straight man/fall guy category, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu and Hare nochi Guu provide good examples of how to succeed at it. The reactions are genuine as they interact with the rest of the cast and aren't inserted just to spell out the joke to the viewer. For example, Guu trolls the fuck out of Hare, so him reacting is natural, and then Guu plays off of that still. It's not an aside. Also notable is its use of horror techniques in the service of comedy. The director of Guu even went on to make Blood-C.

A good example of how NOT to do this is Yuriseijin Naoko-san. Simply pitiful in its spoonfeeding and lack of chemistry.

I'm also big on unintended comedy!
I'm curious, do you consider Looney Toons to be "good" or "Dane Cook"?

wonzo

Banned
I take it you're a Dane Cook fan.
deadrose.png

Welp.

Time to start Clannad, one of the most hyped and highly rated series in anime. At least on the internet. I understand that after story is considered the better one but I can't by all means jump straight to that. Will it be melodrama? Will it be overhyped? Tune in to find out. As in I'll see if I stick with it.

Log Horizon 2 was okay...not as good as I was hoping it would be. I guess there is also some plot now? Moving onto Kyoukai no Kanata 3, hoping this will entertain me more today.

Polar Bear Cafe 4

I literally think that Polar Bear was so bored with no one to retort his puns that he deliberately flattened his own car tire for the sake of gratification.

And Panda pays a fuckton of money just to make sure his smartphone case gets used. Talk about mixed priorities.

Narag

One Piece 69

So after finishing The Voyage of the Dawn Treader earlier today, having not read it since I was younger, I found myself thinking about this show of all things. Like I mentioned in the reading thread, I think early exposure to the whole notion of Jason and the Argonauts gave me a real soft spot for the whole seafaring adventure with varied locales and dangers.

It's probably why I put up with this (and even enjoy myself from time to time!) despite taking issue with some of the characters. I'll admit though I've really liked the transition of Miss Wednesday to Vivi and that even Luffy has been far less grating as of late.

That said, this is the second Coby episode in a row and that shit is like the Dr Thunder to the Strawhat's Dr. Pepper.

Polar Bear Cafe 4

I literally think that Polar Bear was so bored with no one to retort his puns that he deliberately flattened his own car tire for the sake of gratification.

And Panda pays a fuckton of money just to make sure his smartphone case gets used. Talk about mixed priorities.

The whole anime is actually social commentary on social recluses and attention seeking individuals. The bears represent a different ugly side of current otaku culture.

Penguin represents penguin.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sure, but a lot of the set ups are basically the same. Hell, even the score feels like Looney Toons by just being so prominent and busy.
Is there an equivalent to Mio chewing out Yukko for 10 years in stop-start fashion? That one girl who always goes for heavy weapony with no variation beyond the model? Shit is tiresome.

Gazoinks

Finishing up Fate/Zero Season One:

Fate/Zero 11

Archer should give up being a hero fighter guy and go into catering. Those portals are useful!

This was a great episode. The discussion about what it means to be a king was really interesting, and Saber and Rider are starting to clash. Saber kind of really needs to get her act together. Also her hand back. Also Rider's Noble Phantasm is
summoning an army of bros
and that's just awesome.

Is there any way of actually getting rid of Assassin for good or do you just have to take out Kirei? Talk about an annoying Servant.

Fate/Zero 12

Archer! Stop egging Kirei on! Come on, he was about to give up and everything!

I want one of Kiritsugi's patented brood burgers (tm), it looked pretty good.

I suspect we've got bad stuff on the horizon for Irisviel, hope her hands get better soon. Can she even cast battle magic without her hands?

This episode revealed Kirei as a pretty interesting character. An "empty person" clinging onto his ideals such as the church and his master without thinking of himself at all. Got shades of it from his other talks with Archer, but this really pushed it farther. But now Archer seems like he's causing a change in him, for better or worse... Anyways,
it looks like Assassin was killed for good, and now he has to get a new servant... wonder who it'll be.

Fate/Zero 13 (Season 1 END)

Yes more Rider good times. His pep-talk in this episode was great.

Ryuunosuke's philosophy was pretty interesting here. He's a crazy lunatic, but his philosophy does kind of have some merit to it. I wouldn't say it made him sympathetic, really, but it made him more likable. Like Ladd in Baccano, to compare to another likable mass murderer.

Cool cliffhanger here, aye. Looking forward to awesome team-up battle next episode.

wonzo

Banned
Welp.

Time to start Clannad, one of the most hyped and highly rated series in anime. At least on the internet. I understand that after story is considered the better one but I can't by all means jump straight to that. Will it be melodrama? Will it be overhyped? Tune in to find out. As in I'll see if I stick with it.
It's a Key series so expect to cry tears

of laughter.

Fate/Zero 11

Archer should give up being a hero fighter guy and go into catering. Those portals are useful!

This was a great episode. The discussion about what it means to be a king was really interesting, and Saber and Rider are starting to clash. Saber kind of really needs to get her act together. Also her hand back. Also Rider's Noble Phantasm is
and that's just awesome..[/SPOILER]

to discuss your spoiler, that's not what you think it is. It's another ability that only a select few have.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is there an equivalent to Mio chewing out Yukko for 10 years in stop-start fashion? That one girl who always goes for heavy weapony with no variation beyond the model? Shit is tiresome.
I dunno, you could argue the same about the Road Runner or Pepe Le Pew...

I would say the latter is more prominent and more irksome conisdering she's an extreme example of a tsundere.

And they took kendo, of course Mio is violent. Or rather, they gave her an outlet which lets her utilize her already violent nature.

Also the 4 Temperments

cajunator

Banned
Any new romance animes that are showing potential? It's practically the only genre of anime that I look for. Let me know!

Golden Time!

Oh yeah, Excel Saga. That show actually did a lot more than that, even as Kotono Mitsuishi belted out 50 episodes worth of lines.

Good lord. The English VA couldnt keep up and literally wore out her voice trying to be Excel.

Welp.

Clannad is everything you expect and more.

Your avatar is SO CUTE

Fate/Zero 11

and that's just awesome.

Is there any way of actually getting rid of Assassin for good or do you just have to take out Kirei? Talk about an annoying Servant.

Fate/Zero 12

Archer! Stop egging Kirei on! Come on, he was about to give up and everything!

I want one of Kiritsugi's patented brood burgers (tm), it looked pretty good.

I suspect we've got bad stuff on the horizon for Irisviel, hope her hands get better soon. Can she even cast battle magic without her hands?

This episode revealed Kirei as a pretty interesting character. An "empty person" clinging onto his ideals such as the church and his master without thinking of himself at all. Got shades of it from his other talks with Archer, but this really pushed it farther. But now Archer seems like he's causing a change in him, for better or worse... Anyways,
it looks like Assassin was killed for good, and now he has to get a new servant... wonder who it'll be.

Fate/Zero 13 (Season 1 END)

Yes more Rider good times. His pep-talk in this episode was great.

Ryuunosuke's philosophy was pretty interesting here. He's a crazy lunatic, but his philosophy does kind of have some merit to it. I wouldn't say it made him sympathetic, really, but it made him more likable. Like Ladd in Baccano, to compare to another likable mass murderer.

Cool cliffhanger here, aye. Looking forward to awesome team-up battle next episode.

Fate zero only gets better after this. It ramps up everything to incredible levels.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Welp.

Pro-tip: Clannad is decent but After Story shits on everything. Especially your heart. Yes, there's a shit ton of melodrama, but just go with it.

Pro-tip: Clannad is decent but After Story shits on everything. Especially your heart. Yes, there's a shit ton of melodrama, but just go with it.

I'm liking it so far. But I can tell he's gonna go for sick girl. And sick girl is gonna die. And then he'll be all "WHY DID SICK GIRL HAVE TO DIEEEEEE!" and I'll be staring at the screen thinking to myself that he could have chosen best girl (two candidates so far). I have no confirmation of this till I keep watching. But knowing the fame of sadness of this anime? Shit. Probably.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I dunno, you could argue the same about the Road Runner or Pepe Le Pew...
Only by ignoring what goes on in each example. While it is true that the Road Runner will always escape the Coyote, the cartoon presents a myriad of ways this is set up and then executed. If the cartoon was 50 episodes of the Coyote standing in the middle of the road while the Road Runner ran over him with roughly the same type of overblown animation, then it would be more like Nichijou.

Articalys

I was out playing laser tag with friends earlier today. As per my usual habit, I tried to pick a codename for the score rankings that's anime-related, but otherwise sounds normalish. Ended up going with "SILVERCROW", and wound up barely in the top ten out of a 31-person game, which isn't too bad.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I was out playing laser tag with friends earlier today. As per my usual habit, I tried to pick a codename for the score rankings that's anime-related, but otherwise sounds normalish. Ended up going with "SILVERCROW", and wound up barely in the top ten out of a 31-person game, which isn't too bad.
Good find.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm liking it so far. But I can tell he's gonna go for sick girl. And sick girl is gonna die. And then he'll be all "WHY DID SICK GIRL HAVE TO DIEEEEEE!" and I'll be staring at the screen thinking to myself that he could have chosen best girl (two candidates so far). I have no confirmation of this till I keep watching. But knowing the fame of sadness of this anime? Shit. Probably.

Oh it gets a lot, lot worse than that possible scenario, I can assure you. You just have to see for yourself.

Well if it's any consolation there are two alternate reality OVAs that you should watch after you're done with it all that ask what if he goes out with two of the other girls. They're really good too.

sonicmj1

Nichijou has some good skits every now and then, but I like it more for the overall atmosphere than the humor. The town has a really good sense of place, and even if the characters aren't always consistently funny, they give that town the texture of a place full of people living their lives. For me, it built into a nice little celebration of the daily routine of life. Moments like the five-second shots of a single place that they'd return to over the course of an episode, or the "Love-like" skits, brought that home to me.

Would have been nice if it were funnier, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Only by ignoring what goes on in each example. While it is true that the Road Runner will always escape the Coyote, the cartoon presents a myriad of ways this is set up and then executed. If the cartoon was 50 episodes of the Coyote standing in the middle of the road while the Road Runner ran over him with roughly the same type of overblown animation, then it would be more like Nichijou.
See, for me, it's a question of escalation vs variance. Although come to think of it, when I used to watch Family Guy 10 years ago, that show did the same thing... and now I'm starting to question everything about Nichijou. lol

Oh it gets a lot, lot worse than that, I can assure you.

Well if it's any consolation there are two alternate reality OVAs that you should watch after you're done with it all that ask what if he goes out with two of the other girls. They're really good too.

when should I watch them? Post Clannad or after After Story? Chronologically I mean.

edit: Oh god. the blonde guy. That's Shinpachi's voice (Gintama)

What is heard can't be unheard.

Branduil

See, for me, it's a question of escalation vs variance. Although come to think of it, when I used to watch Family Guy 10 years ago, that show did the same thing... and now I'm starting to question everything about Nichijou. lol

Well, at the very least, Nichijou is a million times more visually appealing than Family Guy.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
when should I watch them? Post Clannad or after After Story? Chronologically I mean.

After you're all done with both clannad and After Story. One OVA came out with Clannad and the other with AS, but just watch them when you're done with AS (or you decided to drop). They're alternate timelines that don't fit in the normal chronology of the shows, but both do take place within Clannad's timeframe though.

edit: Oh god. the blonde guy. That's Shinpachi's voice (Gintama)

What is heard can't be unheard.

The subbed version is pretty good, but I really like the dub of Clannad as well, tbh.

Chuck

Still without luck
Kuroko 28

Man the basketball animation is sooooooo much better this season. This episode was good but it more set up the rest of the tournament. Hope they introduce Akashi soon.

Ace of the Diamond 3

I'm not enjoying this very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom