• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
To me saying Angel Beats was a romance due to its ending is like saying, forgive me for this comparison, School Days is a tragedy with its ending which it definitely isn't.
School Days is a tragedy. The whole story is the rise and then absolutely inevitable fall of Makoto according to a defining character flaw.

jman2050

I definitely agree that the show has flaws in juggling the themes of comedy, drama, tragedy, and romance in its entirety, however I cannot agree it was solely a romance. Sure the last few eps and its ending made it out to be that way but that's it, for 3/4 of the show there was no romantic elements where instead it was trying to juggle tragedy/drama and comedy (and of course exposition) during that majority. And yes Episode 10 was great. To me saying Angel Beats was a romance due to its ending is like saying, forgive me for this comparison, School Days is a tragedy with its ending which it definitely isn't.

I should be clear in that I'm not saying the show is strictly a romance, as it isn't. That much is correct. Just that you can't just detach the problems with the show's resolution (which prominently uses the romance as its focal point) and act like it doesn't matter. It does matter, because Otonashi's story is ultimately the one they were trying to tell all along.

Really, if the entire rest of the show had stayed the crazy nonsensical mess of drama/comedy/tragedy that didn't work at all, it still could have sort of justified itself by a strong ending. As it stands, the rest of it doesn't really matter and serves no purpose. And I suppose that's the best way to summarize it. Nothing that happens matters. Things happen, then more things happen, and then the end. And it's unpleasant, it's not fun to watch, and it's pointless. Aside from episode 10, which honestly felt like it belonged in a different show, Angel Beats doesn't tell me anything nor do I learn anything from watching it.

wonzo

Banned
Haibane Renmei *5,183 (5, not including BOX) (Radix Entertainmnet/Geneon USA)
2002/12/21 *6,158 COG. 1 (One episode)
2003/01/24 *5,316 COG. 2 Limited Edition (Three epiosdes up to COG. 5)
2003/02/21 *4,909 COG. 3
2003/03/21 *5,100 COG. 4
2003/04/25 *4,432 COG. 5
2010/07/22 *3,936 Blu-ray BOX (Thirteen episodes)
Angel Beats! 11,802+22,308=34,110 (7) (P.A. Works/Sentai Filmworks)
2010/06/23 14,460 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 7)
2010/07/21 12,621 Vol. 2 LE
2010/08/25 11,490 Vol. 3 LE
2010/09/22 10,822 Vol. 4 LE
2010/10/27 10,748 Vol. 5 LE
2010/11/24 10,065 Vol. 6 LE
2010/12/22 12,411 Vol. 7 LE (including unaired episode)
2010/06/23 27,052 Vol. 1
2010/07/21 23,808 Vol. 2
2010/08/25 22,143 Vol. 3
2010/09/22 20,960 Vol. 4
2010/10/27 20,483 Vol. 5
2010/11/24 19,611 Vol. 6
2010/12/22 22,080 Vol. 7
._.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Makato is a tragic hero/character? Yeah he really connected with all the douches in the audience.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragic_hero
Aristotle isn't the only take on tragedy, but even then, Makoto starts as an entirely upstanding and unassuming young man who simply has trouble getting into the dating scene, but when he finally does he finds himself unable to stop.

Macbeth fails under that criteria, you know.

You know I'm curious. In shows with girls taking baths and swimming together, they always grab each others boobs in a playful fashion. Do actual japanese women do this after it became a trend in anime?

If so, do Japanese men grab each other's dingalings in a playful manner?

duckroll

You know I'm curious. In shows with girls taking baths and swimming together, they always grab each others boobs in a playful fashion. Do actual japanese women do this after it became a trend in anime?

If so, do Japanese men grab each other's dingalings in a playful manner?

It's probably about as common as Americans deciding to grab a gun and shoot people up after seeing it on TV. Which is to say I'm sure it happens, and sometimes people go to jail for it. :p

wonzo

Banned
You guys are gonna make me pick up Polar Bear Cafe again, aren't you? I don't have anything to watch in the earlier parts of the week (other than HxH, which I'm really behind on), so I guess it'd be okay.

I got Pokemon X Saturday afternoon, and it completely consumed my weekend. It took me forever to read all the pages I missed on here.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Regardless, from the innocent beginning to the cathartic ending, it's demonstrably apparent School Days is some variation on tragedy, even if it doesn't strictly adhere to a given tradition.

Is the show high art? Not really, that's a separate matter entirely.

cajunator

Banned
Sorry about the Kiniro Mosaic thing. I'm as disappointed as the rest of you.

This is the danger of trying to be the first with news.

It happens.
Ther actual news gets stories wrong a lot, usually on purpose.

YamiBoushi ending was as dumb as the rest of the show, this doesn't need to be on the list! You all are weak, weak!

Awww. MAybe youve just seen too much weird anime lol.

Saikano 4

Poor Chise. Shuji's trying his best, well, kinda, and Chise
just wants to die.
These poor starcross'd lovers.

I'd kill for a Toradora! cameo in Golden Time, even if it's just Taiga and Ryuuji just in the background of some shot.

Saikano is a pretty heartbreaking story.

Saikano... More like Suckano.

Shush you.

Branduil

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 5

words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words

Mature

Kyousogiga TV 1-2

Watched this basically on a whim and because it looked nice. It paid off! Loved what I saw and the potential the show has going for it. Though, honestly, I feel like I shouldn't be watching this— or anything— until I've finished Uchouten Kazoku, which will happen in due time. In the mean time? The life consuming triumvirate of FFXIV: ARR, GTAV, and Pokemon X.

The flaw of the harem with yandere
No. It was his fault for being a horrible person, not theirs.

On that note, the only thing sad about that series' ending was that one of the girls was killed too.

School Days is a tragedy. The whole story is the rise and then absolutely inevitable fall of Makoto according to a defining character flaw.
School Days is pretty much a tragedy (harem tragedy, specifically), but Angel Beats is definitely not just a romance series; that's just part of what the series is about.

Help me choose my friend

Re-watch Hyouka or watching Serial Experiment Lain for the first time?
Lain is the best anime ever. Watch it!

cajunator

Banned
But that is anime.

Can we get an Ace Attorney anime please please please please

That would be interesting. Plenty of waifus too.

So apparently Clannad is supposed to be got-tier in terms of sad anime. Well time to figure out if that holds true!

Clannad - 01

... ... ... ...

So remember my dislike for the first episode of Angel Beats!? Yeah I disliked it, but the music of the show held me back to keep on watching. Now Clannad's first episode... Angel Beats! first episode is god-tier compared to this piece of shit I've been exposed to.

God damn, I don't know whether to continue on with this or skip to After Story.

CLannad and Kanon start off rreally slow, but evolve into heartbreakers.

Crunchyroll providing a helpful manner of why most people think anime was better in the past: because you've forgotten most of it.

I...know most of those and own half. Guess Im part of the problem.

Westlo

holy shit @ the picard scene in Yuusha 01, his entrance, the music, than the part that was gifed, please tell me he's a reoccurring character like the taxi driver from Canaan. (wait did he even show up more than twice?)

CLannad and Kanon start off rreally slow, but evolve into heartbreakers.

By really slow do you mean a whole season and a half? Even then, by the time it gets to the sad part I'm already so disgusted by the over the top moe of the show that its impact turns what should be a frown into a smile. You can't cry for it unless you like the characters, but if the characters disgust you this early on, you'll never cry.

angel beats is a great show, with the main problem being its lack of length and larger than necessary cast of characters.

Quasar

Gingitsune #3 - Really liked this episode. Not that the others were bad or anything. Still don't see anything resembling a main plotline.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gingitsune Episode 3:

This continues to be a light, breezy, quiet and just all around soothing series. That being said, there is not a lot to talk about since this show really is set out to be a slice of life series and thus no real plot to speak of. I mean the individual plot of the episode is Makoto taking a turtle spirit to a new shine and then ruminating for 10 minutes on the nature of the human lifespan. I get the feeling that there is much more to this show but it might require a PHD in the Shintoist Religious Studies to really understand.

Gave both White Album 2 and Golden Time a try. Got 3-4 episodes into both before deciding they weren't really my thing. Thanks to everyone who suggested them to me before, though! You guys are always very kind whenever I ask for suggestions.

Since a GAFer gave high remarks to Hyouka, I think I'll try that out next, but in case I don't end up going through with it, does anyone know of an anime that is more similar to Bokura Ga Ita? I enjoy that kind of romance--the ones where they don't dance around the subject of liking each other for 10 episodes.

duckroll

Yozakura Pantyland - Episode 3

Relatively uneventful episode which did a decent job of fleshing out the world a little more. There was some pretty cool animation as usual, but I didn't really feel this episode. I'm actually getting pretty sick of the catgirl flashing her panties all over the place too, but I guess that isn't going away. As someone who isn't really familiar with the material though, I have to say that "OMG DID THEY REALLY JUST DO THAT?!" scene was well played. Lulz.

cajunator

Banned
I understand the pull of ears/tails, but they don't excuse everything!

But they excuse most things!

Trust me, I've seen more than my fair share of absolute dreck because SOMETHING in the show was a hook for me.

*sobs*

I know that feel. So well.

Well, Bagi is next, and it will deliver on insanity.

Although Arjuna is better.

This. Corvy Kun, WATCH ARJUNA.

Not even talking Okada here. I've sat through stuff like Kampfer, Rosario+Vampire, Hyper Police, and Zero no Tsukaima.

These are good. Well I havent seen Kampfer. But otherwise this is all fun schlock that I happen to own too.
ZnT has a kugiloli which is frustrating but she can be pretty fuckin cute so Ill accept it.
It gets very very endearing later on. Hyper Police is just damned early 90s fun with catgirls and stuff. Cant fault it.

What's a good romance anime in the same vein as Toradora?

Ano Natsu and GOlden Time looks like its gonna be. Also My Little Monster was a cute romance story. Then the non-harem parts of Ai Yori Aoshi with just Aoi and Kaoru are absolutely charming too.

cnet128

Banned
You honestly can't be telling me this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDsTtSjnvf8

is superior to the following two pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-vhjfGS8bs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeNs3ZWuB0s

It might just be my personal taste talking but I prefer the songs that have depth in them told through classic orchestral instruments and/or the piano instead of, random upbeat stuff.

I do like the Angel Beats themes, they're pretty beautiful.

But Dango Daikazoku is still more legendary and memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom