• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Speaking of sword designs. Are there any good ones anyone likes?

The 2 I really thought was cool was Renji's sword, and Inuyasha's Tetsusaiga. Such cool designs.

I think in terms of design, you're never going to get more classic and classy than the various incarnations of the Master Sword. They're all pretty sweet, but I think the version from Skyward Sword may be my favourite:

iqoVPM1Nr3tf.png

Since nothing's going to out-sword the Master Sword in terms of design, all that's left is to compete in terms of dimensions. And since the most important dimension is length, that makes it a toss-up between Kamina's nameless sword from Gurren Lagann:

...and Kokorowatari from the Monogatari series:

All that said, while I was looking for images of those swords, I found a GIF that is more deadly than any of them. (Warning: do not click unless you have extremely high resistance to nekomimi. I can't take any responsibility for hearts exploding as a result of looking at this gif, or indeed for deaths by starvation caused by staring at it for days on end.)

I haven't seen the monogatari series in a while. I recall the seasons being out of order continuity-wise, what would be the proper timeline order to watch them? I don't think this'll be as much of an issue as with the Fate series where the drop in quality of the two series was so drastic it was recommended to watch FSN first.

Articalys

What would you call it then?

The one-armed scissor.

I haven't seen the monogatari series in a while. I recall the seasons being out of order continuity-wise, what would be the proper timeline order to watch them? I don't think this'll be as much of an issue as with the Fate series where the drop in quality of the two series was so drastic it was recommended to watch FSN first.

The only ones out of order are the two prequels, Kizumonogatari (not animated yet) and Nekomonogatari Black. And you're supposed to watch them in order. You should probably read Kizumonogatari before anything else, because the new season basically assumes you're familiar with it, and apparently there are spoilers for it in the upcoming arc. I'm actually going to try to read it all before Saturday.

cnet128

Banned

Well, if you want to watch them in chronological order, you'll have to start with Kizu— oh, wait. =p

Really, I don't think you want to worry about watching them in chronological order; broadcast order is the way the series was meant to be enjoyed, glaring lack of Kizumonogatari aside. If you want to watch the existing material in chronological order, all that would entail is watching Nekomonogatari Black first, and then following broadcast order for the rest.

Broadcast order, for the record, is:

Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Nekomonogatari Black
Monogatari Second Season

(Strictly speaking, I guess you'd have to mix up some of the episodes in Second Season to follow true chronological order, but I think some of those arcs may actually happen simultaneously, so... >.>)

Are we still talking anime only or also video games for this criteria? Because then Wailing Dark from Asura's Wrath is a candidate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eMkEAo0IzVE#t=534

Though I guess that game is already practically anime.

Ah, well, if we're including swords that can extend to crazy lengths at will, I guess Ichimaru Gin's Shinsou from Bleach has that covered in the anime department. Doubly so in its Bankai form.

Jarmel

Banned
One thing I'm wondering about while watching KLK 3 is that Satsuki's scenes are more controlled and normal while Ryuuko's are more insane, from a directorial standpoint. I wonder if that's intentional, as to highlight the differences between the two characters. If so, then that's a great way of establishing the characters.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta Episode 3:

This show really, really wants to be a slice of life show but keeps getting dragged back to the action genre.

Gazoinks

All that said, while I was looking for images of those swords, I found a GIF that is more deadly than any of them. (Warning: do not click unless you have extremely high resistance to nekomimi. I can't take any responsibility for hearts exploding as a result of looking at this gif, or indeed for deaths by starvation caused by staring at it for days on end.)

Can't... stop... watching... I thought I was strong, but I am weak!

cajunator

Banned
I think in terms of design, you're never going to get more classic and classy than the various incarnations of the Master Sword. They're all pretty sweet, but I think the version from Skyward Sword may be my favourite:

Since nothing's going to out-sword the Master Sword in terms of design, all that's left is to compete in terms of dimensions. And since the most important dimension is length, that makes it a toss-up between Kamina's nameless sword from Gurren Lagann:

...and Kokorowatari from the Monogatari series:

Master Sword will always be my favorite design. Its very classic and epic.

One thing I'm wondering about while watching KLK 3 is that Satsuki's scenes are more controlled and normal while Ryuuko's are more insane, from a directorial standpoint. I wonder if that's intentional, as to highlight the differences between the two characters. If so, then that's a great way of establishing the characters.

Hmm. I hadnt noticed this but youre right! Neat observation!

Absolutely.
Awesome. Thank you. Would I go wrong watching the Crunchyroll subs or are there better subs out there?

If you want something short and quick immediately, then look into Code:breaker, Arata The Legend, and Karneval.

Otherwise, Hunter x Hunter is a mighty fine choice.
I'll take note of those as well. Thank ya. Never heard of them, but I'm always up for action anime. I want something to really dig into right now though, so I'll probably go with Hunter x Hunter.

If you want something short and quick immediately, then look into Code:breaker, Arata The Legend, and Karneval.

Otherwise, Hunter x Hunter is a mighty fine choice.

Arata the legend is NOT an action anime.

Sure there are some action scene but they are short and scattered across 12 episodes .

Not recommanded if you're looking for action

Hunter x hunter is a pure shonen, however , so it's highly recommanded.

Kuroko No Basket - Episode 14

They really were giving this Momoi person quite the camera angles at the pool. Also the new guy seems awesome. He's so strong he skips practices, and even games and is still good. Can't wait to see him play.

Jex

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta Episode 3:

This show really, really wants to be a slice of life show but keeps getting dragged back to the action genre.

I think it really wants to be a show about pantyshots but, you know, it has to fill the time with other activities as well.

Narag

From what I hear the Code;Breaker anime is a really bad adaptation. I've read the manga. It's ok, but it seems to be written by a high school girl who still hasn't gotten over her bad boy phase.

Code:Breaker does an amazing job of channeling an old school X-Men story. Great stuff. It's also an effects animation extravaganza.

BluWacky

Kill La Kill 3

Goodness me, that's a lot of rather exciting action.

I wish I enjoyed fanservice. Much of the "plot" of this episode just made me think that Nakashima was asked by Imaishi to rationalise his desire to put the girls in ridiculous costumes. As others say, it smacks of Imaishi's rather juvenile outlook, along with things like the juddering boobs in the henshin sequences. I know that works for most people watching the show, but it just seems a bit silly to me.

Perhaps I should look at the whole uniform thing as a positive message - no-one should be ashamed of their body etc. etc. But...it's Imaishi we're talking about.

Incidentally, focusing on that one bit of terrible CG (although it's not the only one) does the episode a huge disservice, IMO. Did Imaishi storyboard this episode? There was one shot in particular where Mako's irritating family were sleeping and they nicely framed Ryuuko and Mako's mother's conversation that I thought was very clever in a "simple" way.

Jex

From what I hear the Code;Breaker anime is a really bad adaptation. I've read the manga. It's ok, but it seems to be written by a high school girl who still hasn't gotten over her bad boy phase.

Code;Breaker is a really good anime series, I can't speak for it's quality as an adaptation.

cajunator

Banned
Kill La Kill 3

Goodness me, that's a lot of rather exciting action.

I wish I enjoyed fanservice. Much of the "plot" of this episode just made me think that Nakashima was asked by Imaishi to rationalise his desire to put the girls in ridiculous costumes. As others say, it smacks of Imaishi's rather juvenile outlook, along with things like the juddering boobs in the henshin sequences. I know that works for most people watching the show, but it just seems a bit silly to me.

Perhaps I should look at the whole uniform thing as a positive message - no-one should be ashamed of their body etc. etc. But...it's Imaishi we're talking about.

Incidentally, focusing on that one bit of terrible CG (although it's not the only one) does the episode a huge disservice, IMO. Did Imaishi storyboard this episode? There was one shot in particular where Mako's irritating family were sleeping and they nicely framed Ryuuko and Mako's mother's conversation that I thought was very clever in a "simple" way.

I dont even enjoy this type of fanservice yet I really enjoy KLK. Its the blatant "fuck you we're doing it anyway" nature of the show that is so endearing.

mhs004

Kuroko No Basket - Episode 14

They really were giving this Momoi person quite the camera angles at the pool. Also the new guy seems awesome. He's so strong he skips practices, and even games and is still good. Can't wait to see him play.

He's the best character in the whole series so you should be exited.

Branduil

Kill La Kill 3

That message would be a little more believable if the guys wore ridiculously revealing costumes too; or if the girls didn't have perfect Barbie-doll bodies. As you allude to, it just feels like Imaishi being intellectually dishonest about his fanservice.

cajunator

Banned
That message would be a little more believable if the guys wore ridiculously revealing costumes too; or if the girls didn't have perfect Barbie-doll bodies. As you allude to, it just feels like Imaishi being intellectually dishonest about his fanservice.

I love ABe's artwork so much. Wonder if we will ever see anything from him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom