• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SnOJ27n.jpg
ytUh3ja.jpg

Strike the Blood 3

"New" girl get!

Yukina is still cute as always and Teacher looks great in white.

Did not expect that scene to play out the way it did. Initially thought he was going down vertically instead of horizontal.

CorvoSol

Well it's in line of how long I take with AA games.

I watched an episode. The speed for reading for me is fine at the moment, although it was hard to maintain attention. It might be because I'm not feeling well though.

I think it just isn't as much fun as actually playing the game myself.

Oh god. Dat blue outline on the crotch area and angle. What is seen CANNOT BE UNSEEN

QUERY: A-am I big enough for you, Ledo-sempai?

cremino

Galilei Donna 2

This episode was a bit confusing....I don't really feel the characters and I don't like the little girl...

Samurai Flamenco 2

I like the chemistry beetween the protagonists. This show is a pleasant surprise for me

Valvrave the Liberator S1
For some reason I marathoned this show. I heard a lot of people like but it was fairly average. maybe it was because I'm not into mechas. L-Elf was a pretty good character, but Haruto was rather boring and stereotypical protagonist. The plot twists aside from the one between the first 2 episodes were fairly predictable. Aside from
the rape
, it wasn't surprising. I was expecting something more unusual. Also, it must have been terrible when the last episode was aired.

Nafe

I actually started posting occasional episode reviews again at least a season ago, so no, I didn't return just because of IS... but it probably is true that IS got me to actually read through the threads and reply to stuff more again, I admit.

Haha, yeah I saw you commenting on some shows beforehand. It was really just a joke about the thread and IS.

I can never quite get the linkage people try to make between Aria and YKK. Thematically there's so crossover but in terms of execution it's such a vastly different beast. While YKK features Alpha doing to ditzy things, the overall tone of the show is a lot more laid back and has an almost countryside quietness to it while Aria, despite have similar moments of quiet reflection on life and such, is handled a lot more in your face in the animation, giving it a far more rambunctious feel.

Just something look out for if you go into Aria expecting more of the same!

Okay, it still sounds like a show I'd like anyway. Thanks for the response. :)

Oh, and as far as the message headers, I don't know about you but I find they actually stand out more now since the site redesign.

I think it just isn't as much fun as actually playing the game myself.

That's why I played the translation patch for the first two cases rather than watching a playthrough. It's far more fun to get personally involved in solving the case (even if I have to wait a little longer to find out what happens next), and the rush from finding a breakthrough is something that can't be experience just by watching someone else play.

CorvoSol

C'est la vie, I guess.

That's why I played the translation patch for the first two cases rather than watching a playthrough. It's far more fun to get personally involved in solving the case (even if I have to wait a little longer to find out what happens next), and the rush from finding a breakthrough is something that can't be experience just by watching someone else play.

Yeah, I'm gonna finish this third case and then wait for the full patch, I think. EDIT: On second thought, I think I'll just wait for the full patch period.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
With your avatar I thought it was the purple Doremi girl but reverse search seems to show it's actually the blue girl. Is the blue one correct?
Yeah, it's Aiko. Thinking about adjusting the colors to make it less purple.

Edit: There we go.

Gazoinks

Fate/Zero 14 (S2 Start)

Hell of a way to start a season. There was just... a ton of awesome in this episode. The fight against the monster, Berserker and Archer dogfighting, Kariya and Tokiomi facing each other down, and
the weirdly sad death of Ryuunosuke. Bet Caster's gonna transfer to Kirei now.

New OP and ED are nice. I like that they're kind of a more somber tone. Can't say which I like more since I've listened to the first ones way more.

i have to agree .. it's much more entertaining to just wreck your brain and look for clues your self ... you're ta your own optimum pace that is obviously different that the playtester .

----------------
Phi brain kami no puzzle S3 - 03

Are they gonna show ratsel in a different outfit ( from a different country ) each episode ? That would be quite cool .

The puzzle was alright , it was obvious that we're in S1 territory with the givers as most of them won't accept defeat that easily , as for makata jin , given that this episode was so early in the season , only one answer was possible and this wasn't really hard to figure it out.
Phi%20Brain%20-%20Kami%20no%20Puzzle%20S3%20-%2003.jpg

lucky gyamon
I think that ratsel will open up a little in root academy , not enough but she will ..anyway , let's put the rest of teh cast in the spotlight (leaving gyamon for the end as usual )

Armored Trooper Votoms - 23

Back to this after far too long of a break. Of course, Chirico is still a badass. Gets stabbed, doesn't give a fuck. Gets orders, doesn't give a fuck. And best of all, no juvenile whining.

You have made a terrible mistake.

Perhaps, but we'll see in a few dozen episodes. After all, I've done this once already.

Narag

Back to this after far too long of a break. Of course, Chirico is still a badass. Gets stabbed, doesn't give a fuck. Gets orders, doesn't give a fuck. And best of all, no juvenile whining.

I like to bring that up when selling people on it.

CorvoSol

Perhaps, but we'll see in a few dozen episodes. After all, I've done this once already.

Victory Gundam is horrible. I'm just trying to save you.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I got pretty close to the end of Votoms but I lost interest in all the lost city stuff for some reason

It just feels like none of the original conflicts in the series are present anymore. I don't even remember why Chirico went to where he is anymore

Lain

Kyoukai no Kanata 1

Felt like I was watching a glasses wearing version of K-ON!'s Yui wielding a sword instead of a guitar.
I liked it.

It makes no sense! "impressively totally incompetent?" What the hell is is?

Infinite Stratos worked, and I use worked here as in "ok, this is not that much worse than some random SF shit on kindle ebooks so I can see how someone would buy it," because as stupid as the premise was, as stupid as the characters were they fit the authors mold. Aside from the switch from Char to Charlotte which was just silly. But aside from that the characters stayed in what little character they had, the setting wasn't trampled and it kinda worked. It wasn't a good work but two plus two equaled four and hate it as I may it wasn't so stupid compared to the rest of its ilk that it stood out.
That's mostly true, but you're leaving a few things out here, most notably that S1 did have some character changes. Remember when late in the season they "equalized" the harem, maybe starting from ep. 9 or 10? Sure the girls didn't lose character as badly as they did in S2, but suddenly seeing Char (and maybe also Houki)'s advantages disappear was ... odd.

As for stupid, the thing about S1 was that it was one of those things where it felt like the people making the anime (hopefully!) understood how stupid the thing they were making was, and had fun with it. Either that, or they totally failed... but either way, in S2, that's entirely gone as I've said, in favor of generic blandness. But S1 was definitely very stupid. The key (to why the show was "good") was HOW it was stupid.

Season two's main problem, aside from being the second season of Infinite Stratos, which is a problem in of itself especially when Spice and Wolf season three's still a fucking no show, is that there's no longer any continuity amongst the characters. Charlotte is no longer Charlotte, Laura is no longer Laura, Rin's not Rin, Hyouki's not Hyouki, there's just girls drawn similarly to them from the first season doing fuck all whatever. In a show as bland and two dimensional as Infinite Stratos you should be able to tell which character is which by their lines alone(without audio or visual) since originally they were all distinct character archetypes, now, aside from Laura who's retained her habit of speaking about Ichika as her betrothed all of the other girls lines are interchangeable. But those are just lines, if we look at how these characters are portrayed they're now totally interchangeable. This is just crap. As long as the characterization is so poor I don't see how anyone cares about what exactly these characters do. They can now be any of the girls in the school, it makes no difference.
As I've said I definitely agree on the core of this point -- making all of the girls "yan" tsunderes, as only Rin fully was in the first season, was a major mistake, and it definitely breaks down the differences between the characters. I think that each one of them has manged to hold on to SOME of the things that make each unique, so I wouldn't go quite as far as you do here, but you are right that they've broken down the differences between the girls, which is kind of an issue when you started out with a series where all five main girls could be described as tsundere... Char less than the others, but she did have some of that in S1. But now they're even more similar, and all have some hitting-him "yan" tendencies. That change was bad.

All five girls still DO have some of their original characters around, so you overstate things some, but it is true that they've been made even more similar. I'll continue with this below.

And it's amusing because I kinda feel for anyone who actually liked the show. Lol. I'm sure someone, somewhere, really liked some of the characters and how they were portrayed originally. lol. hahahahahahaha. I'm kidding, those guys got what they deserved. Ahahahahaha.
Heh... but no, it's definitely not worth the major changes ot the franchise just to get that result. (But yeah, I imagine there were some people somewhere who legitimately liked S1's characters...)

To me this has devolved into a Loony Tunes harem except now I can't count on the coyote being the coyote and shit. It's just a harem skecth comedy but aside from character likenesses and Ichika being dumb as always there's no relation from scene to scene any more. I don't think that works. Stupid shit like Charlotte summoning part of her robot in the classroom and shooting Ichika to them constantly breaking his door down and the like, it'd all make more sense in something like Nichijou than here. But even Nichijou had actual characters.
Considering that Looney Tunes is the best animated anything ever and Nichijou is one of the best comedy animes (it's not quite Excel Saga's equal, but it's near the top of the next tier down), I couldn't disagree with your tone here any more strongly, I think...

IS has devolved though, of course. And yes, Charlotte summoning her robot arm to shoot Ichika with was VERY out of character. She might be the worst-affected, so far... Rin's still sort of in character (as I said she always was the one who wanted to attack him for things); Houki did do that "stabbing through the door" thing at the beginning of S1E1 so her character change, while real, isn't as bad as Char's; Laura is changing but they're actually acknowledging that in the story, unlike Char, so it's not as bad; and Britain hasn't had as much focus yet I don't think, but has definitely changed of course.

It's a very weird tonal shift coming from season one which had a story, albeit a bad one, to tell along with the harem shenanigans . You can kinda feel even as far back as the second half of the first season where it seems the author was about to take it off the rails like with the rabbit girl. This to me is about as weird as if Full Metal Panic Fumoffu had actually been labeled season two. This is like Fumoffu except I doubt there'll be a Rugby or Quarantine level episode so it's much worse.
I'm sure S2 will have a story. This is how it usually goes in these kind of things, you know -- you start with the silly comedy, but eventually get to the serious later on. I'm sure that'll happen here too; there have been a few hints of the main plot already after all, and there was ep. 3's cliffhanger ending...

But will that plot have anything to do with the directions hinted at in the last two episodes of season 1? So far they haven't, but who knows, something could happen eventually. Maybe, maybe not; we'll see.

Because everything in that sequence was just drek.
No, it wasn't, it was moderately entertaining fun.

So I'll repeat my question, why did you hope for this instead of hoping for it to go back to how season one is?
I don't see how but I guess enjoyment levels this low are probably all within some arbitrary margin of error.
I don't think that sequence from the second half of ep. 3 is completely out of character for the girls post-equalization (that is, after the point in S1 where all five are put on equal footing), honestly... that's one reason why I said that I liked that part better, I think it fits a bit better with S1's style, not worse.

Of course it's a problem that S2 completely ignores S1's ending scene, and I wish they would have addressed that, but animes that don't want to end always do something stupid like that, so sadly you expect that kind of thing. :(

Gazoinks

Fate/Zero 15

Awesome times continue, yes.
Caster's death was actually kind of sad, but also happy! He got reunited with Jeanne D'Arc!
To be honest, I totally thought
Archer was going to have to die, not just sacrifice his spear.

And Excalibur? Excalibur was awesome.

Fate/Zero 16

Kirei's learning to enjoy life. This show is just like The Tatami Galaxy! Kirei is Watashi, Archer is Ozu, Kariya is Akashi, and Tokiomi is Higuchi.

This was another really good episode. Saber and Lancer's duel was cool, and I wish it was longer.
Of course, that would've ruined the actual point of it. Kiritsugu, just... wow, dude. Cold.
Kiritsugu continues to be a very interesting character. Brooding anti-hero done right.

So the mediator is dead.
That... doesn't bode well.

Well, I'm not saying I think the first episode of Clannad is a particular standout or anything - heck, it's been a while since I watched it, so I can't really recall what exactly happened in the first episode, and I do remember the series took a few episodes to get into its first proper arc.

However, I'm pretty sure there was nothing in there to justify calling it shit or worse than the likes of Angel Beats. It's clearly better than Angel Beats right from the start purely on the merit of the cast of characters, and I'm pretty sure it did a better job of introducing them as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure the first episode of Clannad included the Dango Daikazoku ED, so there goes the notion of it having no redeeming features. No excuse for ignoring that. Especially when you've been praising Angel Beats on the basis of its music alone.

You honestly can't be telling me this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDsTtSjnvf8

is superior to the following two pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-vhjfGS8bs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeNs3ZWuB0s

It might just be my personal taste talking but I prefer the songs that have depth in them told through classic orchestral instruments and/or the piano instead of, random upbeat stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom