• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have no shame of what you enjoy. People have so many weird ideas of enjoyment and hidden fetishes that I guarantee you anime isnt the weirdest thing people have seen.

Oh I know. With the introduction of furries, adult babies, babyfurs, bronies (a bit) and other things on the internet anime has gone down in the weirdness scale. Especially since geek culture has become more widespread and certain anime are bringing in more people back into the culture (attack on titan was a huge success to make it more acceptable among society).

But I live in Texas. And I'm south american born. My family is extremely conservative and normal (according to society), so me being Americanized and not being completely 100% with our home country's culture already freaks them out. Being otaku would just freak out friends and acquaintances more.

I have a friend who also watches animu, so there's not really much shame going on there. As far as in general, kinda? I feel like it's one of those things that requires a codifier whenever I talk about it. It's like "I watch anime, BUT NOT THE CREEPY ONES". But then I also have, y'know, other interests and stuff, and I don't think of watching anime as any different from anything else I like to do.

Yeah I have video games, sci fi, fantasy and tv in general as my other major interests and all of those are very accepted. Nowadays I watch more anime than say western dramas, but I still watch those heavily and discuss them with peers.

Have you seen sumo wrestler Sailor Moon cosplay?

I... I don't know if I want to lol. This guy already kind of freaks me out.

My friends don't watch anime so I can be as shameless as I want, I guess. I showed them my Yunocchi and the only thing they thought was that I was crazy for for spending almost 50 bucks on her.

Gazoinks

My friends don't watch anime so I can be as shameless as I want, I guess. I showed them my Yunocchi and the only thing they thought was that I was crazy for for spending almost 50 bucks on her.

My other anime friend has lately been tempting me with figures I can't afford. Now I'm afraid to get a job because I'll waste all the money on figs. xD

A quick trawl through the archives suggests that the timeslot was previously occupied by Ashita no Nadja and the Doremi franchise before PreCure took over - not a totally ridiculous fit given the history of said shows.

(and before that, apparently, it was Yume no Crayon Oukoku - anyone ever seen it? I have no idea what it's about)

Sailor Moon's old timeslot was Saturday nights at 7pm, incidentally, which is now used for variety shows; the last anime to air there was, I believe, Bobobo back in 2003/04.

Sailor Moon airing in an early morning Sunday slot and taking over Precure's place as the "sell merchandise to little girls" Toei show would create a show skewed too young to satisfy older franchise fans and defeat the point of bringing back the franchise in the first place.

cajunator

Banned
Oh I know. With the introduction of furries, adult babies, babyfurs, bronies (a bit) and other things on the internet anime has gone down in the weirdness scale. Especially since geek culture has become more widespread and certain anime are bringing in more people back into the culture (attack on titan was a huge success to make it more acceptable among society).

But I live in Texas. And I'm south american born. My family is extremely conservative and normal (according to society), so me being Americanized and not being completely 100% with our home country's culture already freaks them out. Being otaku would just freak out friends and acquaintances more.

Yeah I have video games, sci fi, fantasy and tv in general as my other major interests and all of those are very accepted. Nowadays I watch more anime than say western dramas, but I still watch those heavily and discuss them with peers.

I... I don't know if I want to lol. This guy already kind of freaks me out.

Half of my family is Chinese so they kind of know what anime is but its still kind of a weird thing and they all think of me as the black sheep of the family anyway.

In honour of "weird live action magical girl things", it's time to resurrect the live action Cardcaptor Sakura OP!.

Im not gonna watch this, thus keeping my beloved memories and sacred things intact.

That Tsukiko fig I just posted was 95 bucks. The lengths I go for squee.

I wouldnt mind having one of those Amnesia voice clocks, especially Toma and Shin.

-Omae no koto konnafuu ni dakishime rareru nante, yume mitaida... mou zettai ni hanashite yaranaikara, kakugo shite
(lit. It's like a dream hugging you like this... I won't let you go again, so get ready for it.)

-Nn-... mou asa? A- muri. Omae ga kisu shitekuretara okireru ki ga surundakedo
(lit. Nm... morning already? Ah... not possible. But I do have a feeling that a kiss from you will make up)

7Th

Sailor Moon airing in an early morning Sunday slot and taking over Precure's place as the "sell merchandise to little girls" Toei show would create a show skewed too young to satisfy older franchise fans and defeat the point of bringing back the franchise in the first place.

Saint Seiya Omega'd

Itll never happen but do you have any links to where I can buy his artbooks and such? Particularly Haibane Renmei goodness?

Sorry, I have no idea. I do not own any of his artbooks, just novels with his art on the cover. I would have to say Amazon Japan, CDJapan, or some other official website for imports. Then there is Ebay, but then you run the chance of buying a bootleg. I can only guess that most of his solo works are OOP, and if you do manage to locate an official copy you may have to settle for a used item.

Other than that, all I give you is the link to Yoshitoshi ABe's wikipedia. Hope that helps your search.

fertygo

Holy, 2nd movie of Gurren Laggan have better presentation for the 2nd half of the anime. Should've go for this route from the start.

cajunator

Banned
Sorry, I have no idea. I do not own any of his artbooks, just novels with his art on the cover. I would have to say Amazon Japan, CDJapan, or some other official website for imports. Then there is Ebay, but then you run the chance of buying a bootleg. I can only guess that most of his solo works are OOP, and if you do manage to locate an official copy you may have to settle for a used item.

Other than that, all I give you is the link to Yoshitoshi ABe's wikipedia. Hope that helps your search.

Thanks for the info

NeonZ

True, but moving past the deeply cynical Precure model wouldn't hurt.

Why do you think the model would change at all? If Sailor Moon replaces Pretty Cure, it certainly will need to inherit Pretty Cure's toyline.

Older shows in the same timeslot, like Doremi, had much lower merchandising sales than Pretty Cure. Bandai wouldn't replace Pretty Cure with something else to sell less. If Sailor Moon replaced Pretty Cure, it'd need to inherit all the merchandising baggage that Cure has.

Jex

[Kyousogiga TV] - 2

I really do love me some Gundam Build Fighters but Kyou is still my show of the season because it's just so much fun to watch. It's really refreshing, as well, to see an anime that is bound so little by the normal conventions of either storytelling or visuals.

I am really enjoying Quarter too but my enjoyment is severely tempered by the amount of fanservice in that show. Also episode three felt rather disappointing compared to the first two, somewhat more stilted. I guess that's what happens when you're trying to be faithful to the manga.

cajunator

Banned
Why do you think the model would change at all? If Sailor Moon replaces Pretty Cure, it certainly will need to inherit Pretty Cure's toyline.

Older shows in the same timeslot, like Doremi, had much lower merchandising sales than Pretty Cure. Bandai wouldn't replace Pretty Cure with something else to sell less. If Sailor Moon replaced Pretty Cure, it'd need to inherit all the merchandising baggage that Cure has.

Yep. But that wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing. Sailor Moon peddled all manner of plastic shit and came out fine.

Kuroko's No Basket - Episode 17

Aomine is just trolling everybody. He even made the red head guy
fall on his feet
from his trick moves. This is getting good!

Branduil

I suppose thats true.

Also I miss ABe art. Do you miss it BRanduil?
Like this one:
JeGm6NA.jpg

He's still making art.

Jex

You are asking for anime armor to be actually practical???

Your foolishly limiting this just to anime. Women's armor in movies, TV, comic books, videogames etc is impractical and ridiculous in nearly every single example.

Gazoinks

What I'd be really interested in seeing is if Crunchyroll could fix it's shitty, shitty servers. I mean, I'm paying for the service and yet the speed of the buffering is just terrible.

Yeah, I've been having a lot of issues with their buffering lately. Glad it's not a problem with my connection, at least.

I think for me, the buffering issues generally happen if I leave it paused for an extended amount of time, and then come back. Or something.

720p on Crunchyroll is completely unwatchable on my current Internet connection (which isn't great but isn't that bad and streams HD Netflix fine), which is why I no longer subscribe to the service.

Branduil

Your foolishly limiting this just to anime. Women's armor in movies, TV, comic books, videogames etc is impractical and ridiculous in nearly every single example.

Weirdly enough, Saber's armor in Fate/Zero was quite decent despite the origins of that franchise. But then again, she was impersonating a man in her former life, so I guess they had no choice.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I've never had a problem with CR streaming on my laptop.

Now my PS3 on the other hand...

And that Vita app they've been promising for 2 years now...

cajunator

Banned
The amount that gets peddled inside the show (not on storeshelves) is probably less than a single series of Precure.

Hmmm. I dunno

What I'd be really interested in seeing is if Crunchyroll could fix it's shitty, shitty servers. I mean, I'm paying for the service and yet the speed of the buffering is just terrible.

It randomly freezes on me and I have to refresh the page and resume. sucks. This is a paid subscription too.

1080p has issues no matter if Im at home with my internet where I can run 480p or at work (dls speeds of 4GB in 2min for an example of how fast connection is at work). I dont understand how it cant stream at 1080p at work...

Regardless, I typically always watch at 480p or whatever, if I want higher then Ill just buy the disc and rewatch it in true hd quality or on my kindle fire hd.

cajunator

Banned
1080p has issues no matter if Im at home with my internet where I can run 480p or at work (dls speeds of 4GB in 2min for an example of how fast connection is at work). I dont understand how it cant stream at 1080p at work...

Regardless, I typically always watch at 480p or whatever, if I want higher then Ill just buy the disc and rewatch it in true hd quality or on my kindle fire hd.

I can watch stuff usually on 1080p without much problem. It just freezes at some point in the middle of the show and I have to resume it. Otherwise theres to stutter or anything.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Look, I know why Toei does what it does. I just wish that somehow something happens that manages to get them doing something else, so we get a better TV product, even if such a wish is rather hopeless.

I havent seen that much in the precure stuff Ive watched either. A gizmo here or there. Nothing over the top really for that kind of show.

Seeing merchandising is generally pretty easy in the show, and later seasons have been dishing out more power ups too. Then there's the base form of a mascot, new mascots, new forms, new Cures and some more for merchandising. And then there's also how it's presented.

cajunator

Banned
Seeing merchandising is generally pretty easy in the show, and later seasons have been dishing out more power ups too. Then there's the base form of a mascot, new mascots, new forms, new Cures and some more for merchandising. And then there's also how it's presented.

thats pretty much how Sailor Moon is.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I havent seen that much in the precure stuff Ive watched either. A gizmo here or there. Nothing over the top really for that kind of show.
Haha, you obviously aren't considering the episodes devoted to selling a specific toy, the promotional eyecatches, or how all stock footage makes sure to show exactly how to use each item.

Sailor Moon has plastic shit, sure, but it has absolutely nothing on the pure marketing machine of Precure. Sailor Moon even dares to do things for story and character reasons! The nerve! Doremi is kind of in a weird limbo where you can tell that orders for toy marketing are being handed down, but the production staff is firmly intent on making a good show regardless.

cajunator

Banned
Haha, you obviously aren't considering the episodes devoted to selling a specific toy, the promotional eyecatches, or how all stock footage makes sure to show exactly how to use each item.

Sailor Moon has plastic shit, sure, but it has absolutely nothing on the pure marketing machine of Precure.

Ill take yall word for it. Youve seen more than I have. Just saying that merchandising is a huge part of why Sailor Moon was a success too. And Eva for that matter. And thats not a bad thing to begin with. The more a company gets their brand awareness out there the more popular it is. Thats the whole point in making these mahou shoujo.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ill take yall word for it. Youve seen more than I have. Just saying that merchandising is a huge part of why Sailor Moon was a success too. And Eva for that matter. And thats not a bad thing to begin with. The more a company gets their brand awareness out there the more popular it is. Thats the whole point in making these mahou shoujo.
Sailor Moon started as a popular manga. It's one thing to make merchandise to take advantage of how popular something is, and another to make something primarily to sell toys.

I think I might be giving up on Tokyo Ravens. The manga just started and isn't very far away, and the anime is gonna end on a very early stage of the manga. Seems like it's something to keep reading the manga for if I feel like it.

Does that even count? That's beyond a character trait and just wacky. Everyone else has to break down his door but does she have a key or some shit? Is it a joke implying Germans are naturally good at invading other's territory? This whole thing is another example of how the show eventually just gave up on having logical rules exist in its world.
Hmm, maybe they don't lock their doors? I mean, she could be cutting the door down because she's angry, not because it's locked, or something, right? I don't know, and I highly doubt the writers ever considered how she got there either. I don't think it was meant as a joke like you suggest, no. It was just done because they thought it was funny (which it is, a bit). Logic need not apply...

So confusing.
You're overstating your case by making it too absolute. That's the point.

Like all VN adaptations do it it's just then sometimes not the introduction. Just consider them arcs.
If I must. But it was a very badly done arc transition.

OMG. This changes everything! The fact you spoilered an
almost kiss
to me is hilarious. Really goes to show that even winning is losing in Infinite Stratos.!
Hey, in harem-anime world, that kind of thing is a plot-shaking event! Once they have kissed, they're a couple, after all. But yeah, you're sure right about "winning" being losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom