• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

The latest post at Anipages is interesting- a look at Ryutaro Nakamura's early career, with a focus on this Twin Stars short he directed. Typically for Ben, the post diverges and starts talking about Nakamura's time at Madhouse under Dezaki, his other early works and adding tidbits on other interesting names of the time.

Sometimes I really want to start learning Japanese, I'd love to be able to watch all the stuff he digs out. There's so much interesting anime in decades past.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Season 3 was fine, just not up to the standards that were set! :p

MLP made me watch Precure. If one "girls series with good rep among guys" turned out good, maybe I should try another! (Insert Heartcatch watch here)
Try another still! Ojamajo Doremi.

Branduil

But that's the thing - he doesn't. In fact, all the 2D characters look more "greenscreened" in any of the action scenes, since many of the backgrounds are full 3D.

That's not really the same thing... it is important to properly composite characters into the backgrounds, obviously(angelbeats.jpg), but animated cels have always looked different from painted backgrounds; it's an accepted and necessary part of the traditional animation format. The issue is not how Berserker matches up with the background plates, but how he interacts with the traditionally animated characters.

Miss Monochrome - The Animation Episode 4 – METAMORPHOSE

If nendoroids are really that popular and all those kids, then no wonder they sometimes sell out extremely fast. Thought the price was out of range of kids.

Syrinx

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 26

I really think Aiko needs to give it up at this point trying to get her parents back together. It just doesn't seem like it's going to work out. Her father and mother are just too different, and more importantly her dad is not appreciative at all at the work her mother does and does not even approve of it. I get how she feels, but I think she's just going to have to accept the relationships she has with her parents the way they are, which she admittedly seemed to come a bit closer to doing.

How did nobody think to check the bulletin board though? Doremi and the others were right near it for two and a half hours; how did none of them catch a glimpse of it? And how did Aiko and her father not think to check the board when she was late; isn't that what it's there for?

Signs were there in S2!!

But S2 was still good.

Season 3 was fine, just not up to the standards that were set! :p

MLP made me watch Precure. If one "girls series with good rep among guys" turned out good, maybe I should try another! (Insert Heartcatch watch here)

Ojamajo Doremi

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 26

I really think Aiko needs to give it up at this point trying to get her parents back together. It just doesn't seem like it's going to work out. Her father and mother are just too different, and more importantly her dad is not appreciative at all at the work her mother does and does not even approve of it. I get how she feels, but I think she's just going to have to accept the relationships she has with her parents the way they are, which she admittedly seemed to come a bit closer to doing.

How did nobody think to check the bulletin board though? Doremi and the others were right near it for two and a half hours; how did none of them catch a glimpse of it? And how did Aiko and her father not think to check the board when she was late; isn't that what it's there for?

I was kicking and screaming behind Spoiler tags on this episode. Gotta give credit for her though. At least she's doing something about her situation. More than what I could say about Hazuki.

Hana no Zundamaru 1

The first in Anime Bancho's latest series of shorts, this follows second-rate ninjas and their second-rate ninjaing. It's directed by Akitaro Daichi, who's experienced at low-budget comedies, and he does a pretty good job here. The visual style is rough, but pleasing in a children's storybook kind of way (this is inspired by one after all). The pacing is fast without being breakneck, keeping the jokes moving throughout the 5 minutes. The jokes themselves worked more often than not, especially all the meta-jokes about animation. I have a weakness for characters who are aware of the medium they're in.

Phi Brain 3: Episode 3
tumblr_muppf6MT121qmzddso4_500.jpg
tumblr_muppf6MT121qmzddso1_500.jpg

The Opening is still extremely mesmerizing and stylish. Easily one of which I would never skip. For the episode, glorious puzzle and just plain fun. Masaka Jin doing the Kaito face thing was way too fun and just so over the top hilarious. I hope he returns.

Radio show tidbits also sound compelling. So much support for Rook Kaito.

duckroll

That's not really the same thing... it is important to properly composite characters into the backgrounds, obviously(angelbeats.jpg), but animated cels have always looked different from painted backgrounds; it's an accepted and necessary part of the traditional animation format. The issue is not how Berserker matches up with the background plates, but how he interacts with the traditionally animated characters.

It's not an issue if it looks great. The incredible effects gave him an otherwordly look which made for some fantastic cuts. He doesn't even really interact with the characters much. He fights with Saber and she blocks with her invisible sword... which is also a CG effect. He gets run over by Rider's chariot, which is entirely CG itself. All these elements meshed perfectly with the visual tone intended. Ufotable are an amazing studio and have clearly spent much time planning out the details and implementation. I can only marvel at their dedication to their craft, and how they were not swayed by foolish narrow-mindedness which often shuns the exploration of new technology and visual techniques to achieve greatness.

Branduil

It's not an issue if it looks great. The incredible effects gave him an otherwordly look which made for some fantastic cuts. He doesn't even really interact with the characters much. He fights with Saber and she blocks with her invisible sword... which is also a CG effect. He gets run over by Rider's chariot, which is entirely CG itself. All these elements meshed perfectly with the visual tone intended. Ufotable are an amazing studio and have clearly spent much time planning out the details and implementation. I can only marvel at their dedication to their craft, and how they were not swayed by foolish narrow-mindedness which often shuns the exploration of new technology and visual techniques to achieve greatness.

Hyperbolic praise aside, whether it looks great or not is the whole debate. Gollum is one of the most convincing CG characters ever, but if you just pasted him into the Rankin-Bass Hobbit cartoon, it would look ridiculous. The fact that, as you say, they avoid many shots with him interacting with the 2D characters shows they were aware of the weaknesses of his implementation.

There are a number of good uses of CGI in Fate/Zero(backgrounds, collapsing building,
Rider vs. Archer
), but there are also unconvincing ones, like Berserker, cars, etc.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Tokyo Ravens 1

Great episode. Only two problems. Liberal use of bad CG. The last sequence in the show. OP is great despite it being sort of seizuretastic.

Tokyo Ravens 2

Holy shit this is terrible. This is like compilation of various anime tropes and stereotypes. What the fuck is this drivel?

I agree with duckroll here. If you want an instance of a situation you're describing then go watch Tokyo Ravens episodes 1 and 2. Those are some examples you're thinking of.

kayos90

If you actually see that scene on certain television sets it doesn't look like that gif and it's pretty seamless. You know, it's sort of tiring to see you make arguments against CG and you eventually boil it down to posting a gif or a picture. It's pointless and shuts down any form of discussion in my eyes. Not only that but you're oversimplifying things and are asking for clarification on what you really stand for.

Hyperbolic praise aside, whether it looks great or not is the whole debate. Gollum is one of the most convincing CG characters ever, but if you just pasted him into the Rankin-Bass Hobbit cartoon, it would look ridiculous. The fact that, as you say, they avoid many shots with him interacting with the 2D characters shows they were aware of the weaknesses of his implementation.

There are a number of good uses of CGI in Fate/Zero(backgrounds, collapsing building,
Rider vs. Archer

Uhh... the collapsing building in episode 6 is way less convincing than CG Berserker. Also one of the best part of CG Berserker is when he is getting rid of his shroud. It's extremely well done. It seems like you just refuse to admit that it looks great because you don't think it's believable.

kayos90

Tokyo Ravens 3

Why does the CG have look so awful?

Couldn't even enjoy 3/4 of the episode because everything looked like shit.

The end portion was much better, except for Harutora turning out to be a dense idiot.

Touji remains awesome. Loved his "first" meeting with Natsume.

The CG in Tokyo Ravens is tremendously bad. It looked like I was watching something from a PS2 FMV for goodness sakes. Not only that but it meshes with the objects around it in a horrible fashion. If Branduil wants to complain about terrible CG then he should watch this show.

duckroll

Rider vs. Archer

I would say Berserker is definitely one of the top uses of CG in Fate/Zero. We might never agree on this, but I won't change my mind. It's a brilliant decision, and one of my favorite CG effects in TV anime. I'm not going to defend the cars though, but I will say that Iri is really cute when she's a speed demon! :p

kayos90

lol no tv could ever possibly hope to make that cg look less out of place

My television makes that car look out of place but I watched at a friend's house and it looked significantly better because of how smoothly everything else moved. I was actually surprised to see how the fights in episode 4 and 5 were even better on that television.

Branduil

If you actually see that scene on certain television sets it doesn't look like that gif and it's pretty seamless.

Sure, on a bad one.

You know, it's sort of tiring to see you make arguments against CG and you eventually boil it down to posting a gif or a picture. It's pointless and shuts down any form of discussion in my eyes. Not only that but you're oversimplifying things and are asking for clarification on what you really stand for.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Uhh... the collapsing building in episode 6 is way less convincing than CG Berserker. Also one of the best part of CG Berserker is when he is getting rid of his shroud. It's extremely well done. It seems like you just refuse to admit that it looks great because you don't think it's believable.

Why would I admit something I don't believe?

Branduil

My television makes that car look out of place but I watched at a friend's house and it looked significantly better because of how smoothly everything else moved. I was actually surprised to see how the fights in episode 4 and 5 were even better on that television.

LOL sounds like he had motion interpolation on.

Tokyo Ravens 3

Why does the CG have look so awful?

Couldn't even enjoy 3/4 of the episode because everything looked like shit.

The end portion was much better, except for Harutora turning out to be a dense idiot.

Touji remains awesome. Loved his "first" meeting with Natsume.

I'm gonna give you a fair warning. If Harutora and Ichika from IS had a dense male competition, they would both not realize they were part of the competition and wake up late.

Gintama 102

I thought I was alright with Shinpachi, but now he's really pushing his luck! I don't remember posting impressions since like, 50 episodes ago so here are some pretty abridged thoughts:

• This show has a lot of heart despite being a mostly comedy show
  • Still hilarious, I think only one episode really bugged the hell out of me (the first Hardboiled Detective one, that shit was dry as hell)
  • Benizakura arc was RAD AS FUCK
  • Yagyuu arc was hilarious and again, great
  • Shogo's onee-san :___________;
Really good stuff, I doubt any other long-running show (Space Bros not included) could keep my attention this long and remain mostly great throughout. I'm not even halfway through!

wonzo

Banned
your friend should be ashamed at using motion interpolation.

see also svp magic:

fREpdQU.png

Hunter x Hunter 101
tumblr_mv37naMPw81shcpmyo1_500.gif

Wow perhaps most improved episode yet for the series, started out pretty terrible and ended up being a true masterpiece. Killua proving yet again that he is in the upper echelon of ALL shonen action series protagonists.
that epic dart skill, inspiring a new friendship with an antagonist and even holding on and enduring with all that blood loss. I was wholly impressed with how he was able to go through and show how much of a master of darts he is even in such a condition. This was amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom