• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gintama 102

I thought I was alright with Shinpachi, but now he's really pushing his luck! I don't remember posting impressions since like, 50 episodes ago so here are some pretty abridged thoughts:

• This show has a lot of heart despite being a mostly comedy show
  • Still hilarious, I think only one episode really bugged the hell out of me (the first Hardboiled Detective one, that shit was dry as hell)
  • Benizakura arc was RAD AS FUCK
  • Yagyuu arc was hilarious and again, great
  • Shogo's onee-san :___________;
Really good stuff, I doubt any other long-running show (Space Bros not included) could keep my attention this long and remain mostly great throughout. I'm not even halfway through!

Gintama could easily be my favorite shonen/comedy of all times in anime.

And also don't blame Shinpachi. It's hard being just a pair of glasses who must always be worn by that nerd.

Toji should've been the main character. Holy shit.

He has a cool beanie, swag and confidence. Obviously he's too cool to be a shonen/harem protagonist. If he's not cocky and/or dense as fuck while also a bumbling idiot so male readers can relate, then what's the point?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I really liked the first episode of Tokyo Ravens but man... that terrible second episode is making me worried for its third episode.

Nafe

jbnWDD1df2fhGo.jpg

---

At the start of the year I happened to notice some members here had publicly posted what their birthdays were. Since it was the start of a new year and even though I don't personally know anyone here, I thought it could still be a nice gesture to give just a quick "Happy Birthday" to those whom I was aware of.

I wasn't really doing it looking for any kind of recompense or anything back my way, so my birthday actually came and went a little while ago and I just didn't mention it. There's enough others here who never mentioned when their birthday's are so it's no big deal.

You guys honestly didn't really have to do anything. Even though it's not really my birthday today I still thank you for all the birthday messages that were made and all the cute pictures that were posted. :)

BlazBlue: Alter Memory Episode 3 The Observing Eye
tumblr_mv3pfkq4Aq1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Finally, waited so long for it and endured so many bad looking scenes just to reach this point. Best episode yet even if it did have many and numerous animation mistakes, random paper jumped, awkward jumping, awkward Hazama faces, weird looking debris, and unexplained attacks...Jin looked amazing too, and Tao gave lots of laughs.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 37

Momoko phrase of the week: "The world is love and peace, yo" She really loves repeating things even if it makes her look like a weirdo
and then she sings about it

Today is a reflection of how the overworked society may lead to strikes, and show that something reasonable can also have unreasonable demands, but go to far on your wants and needs, and well...

RI78xnX.jpg

Yeah. Also singing from Momoko.

Chuck

Still without luck
Yowamushi Pedal 3

Great episode. Really love this show despite it's over use of cg, Nice conclusion to the race and introduction of red hair boy! Also one particular person informed me that it will be a 38 continuous episode series!

Nafe

Stocking from P&SwG has the best designed swords:

http://abload.de/img/51159589lsqh.jpg

I hear they even look like swords sometimes.

Haha, okay, I have to give props to this answer. Probably a couple of my favorite swords as well. <3

Fate/Zero 19

The feels! The feels are coming!

Really well done flashbacks here showing how Kiritsugu became the way he is. I liked how they tied the possibly unnecessary killing of Natalia into his failure to kill Shirley, it felt really cohesive. Also depressing. Like really depressing. Poor guy.

Fate/Zero does have some nice little details in its writing. I don't know if you remember but, from the first episode I believe it was, there's actually a reference to episode 19. I think Kirei was talking to someone about Kiritsugu and he mentions
about him being a pretty ruthless killer in that he blew up an entire airliner just to destroy his target.
I think the scene we see later there in episode 19 is what he's referring to.

Not safe for prudes: http://i.imgur.com/lbf3CMPl.jpg

It makes the KLK costume seem reasonable. lol

I thought her "armor" looked dumb as well but that Bertille girl's seiyuu is actually the same person doing the voice for Satsuki in Kill La Kill. It's funny you should mention that then as I found it a little amusing thinking of that connection myself.

Man this season is great for waifus

tumblr_muzg1d9vAd1qf8rnjo1_500.gif

<3

Yeah, if I represent Irisu in Hyouka then I'd say I represent Mitsuki in Kyoukai no Kanata / Beyond the Boundary.

I'm not sure where that date came from but I looked up to see when Minako's birthday was from this. It would have been a funny coincidence,haha.

Happy Birthday Nafe! Hope you are having an awesome day!

Happy Birthday Nafe, hope you have a good one!

It was so-so. Both today and my actual birthday. I thank you for your messages though. :)

Happy bday Nafe! I promise I'll get back to you on Gaim once I watch the next episode.

That's okay. I noticed you haven't been posting in the thread much lately either so I figured you were just perusing other interests at the moment or were busy with more personal matters.

My Birthday wishes are nonrefundable Nafe, you're gonna keep it and you're like it :p

Haha, that's completely fine. I accept them as I never mentioned when my birthday actually was.

Clannad - 01

Alright time to discuss this episode for reals (made sure it was the right anime this time).

So this episode was alright, the OP was enjoyable and character introductions were paced and felt natural. The main protagonist, Tomoya, seems a bit bland at the moment but hopefully that will change. However, aside from the small comedic moments nothing really stood out in this episode to praise.

Criticisms I have so far is that the character designs are bland and the ending of the episode.
Tomoya wakes his father up then runs away? Sure the father is an alcoholic but his response in waking wasn't him yelling or anything. Then there's Nagisa standing in the spotlight for some odd reason and somehow knew Tomoya would run away?

Hopefully that cringeworthy end will be explained next episode.

Tokyo Ravens Episode 3 SHAMAN CLAN -Calling the Dead-
tumblr_mv3hzp3RcA1qg78wpo1_500.gif

tumblr_mv3hzp3RcA1qg78wpo4_500.gif

So much good action all around and Bakutora was amazing. May be a familiar but he has good devotion and ideas for fights. Looking forward to more large scale whole environment type fighting with larger than life creatures as go on in Tokyo, urban setting even better than rural countryside even. Curious what Touji could do too even. Definitely in my top five of the season.

Shergal

For someone that's interested in Kyousogiga, what's the best starting point?

You could watch everything in production order, there's barely more than one hour of material besides the TV show.

Otherwise, the TV show will be covering roughly the same stuff and some more, so you can also start there from episode 1 and go along.

You should definitely watch the original ONA/episode 00 though. People don't seem to like it very much here but I'll still recommend it for its refreshing madcap craziness and slick, stylish visuals.

Branduil

Record of Lodoss War HD 1

Beautiful. This is the way Lodoss was always meant to be seen. It's crazy to think that the artists put all this detail into the series without ever knowing if it would be seen by the audience; as it is, we're only truly seeing it 23 years later.

For those young whippersnappers here who don't know, Record of Lodoss War is basically a series of novelizations of a certain group's Dungeons and Dragons sessions. The 1990 OVA was pretty popular, and it remains the best depiction of D&D in visual media(for what little that is worth).

The animation is certainly lacking at times, in fact, it could probably be more accurately described as a motion comic much of the time, and it makes liberal use of reused footage. It makes up for that to some degree by having exceptionally detailed character designs and layouts, but it's only now that it's being released on bluray that it will be possible to fully appreciate that craftsmanship. The first episode, of course, is not representative in that it's very well-animated in addition to being insanely detailed.

It's certainly not a perfect series, but it's an enjoyable high fantasy adventure with a good score and strong art direction. The archetypal nature of the story is straightforward, but it's executed well.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 38

After leaving this on the back burner for a while, the Kayako storyline continues
, but doesn't exactly "end"

Rinno is still a condescending cockwad, Doremi is so desperate that she made.... steak shaped cookies. A lot of self loathing as well. It's like..
. considering what we got for the mid-season climax, why does this story line feel more like build up to what the end of the season will be like. Probably because of how Onpu was handled back in S1, but she was a lot more prominent in it.

NEXT TIME, Pop vs Tamaki Erika

Episode one of the tv series airing now. You can check out the five net releases from last year after that.

You could watch everything in production order, there's barely more than one hour of material besides the TV show.

Otherwise, the TV show will be covering roughly the same stuff and some more, so you can also start there from episode 1 and go along.

You should definitely watch the original ONA/episode 00 though. People don't seem to like it very much here but I'll still recommend it for its refreshing madcap craziness and slick, stylish visuals.

Honestly? Start with episode 1 from the TV series that just came out. There's 2-3 episodes out right now. I haven't been majorly confused and they're apparently reusing footage from the ONA so no need to watch that.
Thanks! I think I'll start with episode one of the TV series then.

Getting close to Motto 40 there.

Yep, in fact...

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 39

PLAY SEASON! MUMPS SEASON! PLAY SEASON! MUMP SEASON! PLAY SEASON! MUMP SEASON!

Everyone getting mumps at the worst time possible. At least one of them was for the better. On a side note, does Doremi still "not like" Reika? I'm getting confused with the messages.

Fun fact: Erika is an anagram for Reika. No wonder they're related! *ojou-sama laugh*

Well, lets see what 40 is all about.

EDIT: Preview seems... interesting...

Kyuur

Nichijou END

Amazing series. I'm sad there is no more of this... I've taken a look at the manga but it just isn't the same. Just one of those anime you wish could go on forever. :(

HxH 101

I love this god damn adaptation. It's perfect. I could only dream of something similar for stuff like One Piece & Toriko.

Narag

Nichijou END

Amazing series. I'm sad there is no more of this... I've taken a look at the manga but it just isn't the same. Just one of those anime you wish could go on forever. :(

There's episode 0 if you didn't catch that. Much more subdued though.

Hunter x hunter - 101

So at 6 , killua entered the celestial tower games and at 7
he mastered darts ?
what the hell is needed to be an assasin ?

Otherwise as expected an alright episode .... next week komugi finally arrives !

Soma

White Album 2 Episode 03

Well after three episodes, this has surprisingly turned out to be a show that I actually look forward to each week. I'm sure there will be some inevitable melodrama waiting to rear its ugly head later in the show but so far this has been a surprisingly enjoyable high-school romance story. Even the whole thing with Ogiso's father towards the end of the episode played out pretty competently and made the end result of
Touma's agreement to join
feel very satisfying by the end. The dialogue feels very natural and the interactions between each character never really feels forced. The main character does come off a bit preachy at times but it's nice to see him get called out on it in the show.

The art and even the story itself does seem a bit on the generic side but something about the writing and overall direction feels very confident in what it's doing that I can't help but find it very endearing.

Surprise of the season for me so far.

Gazoinks

Fate/Zero does have some nice little details in its writing. I don't know if you remember but, from the first episode I believe it was, there's actually a reference to episode 19. I think Kirei was talking to someone about Kiritsugu and he mentions
about him being a pretty ruthless killer in that he blew up an entire airliner just to destroy his target.
I think the scene we see later there in episode 19 is what he's referring to.

Yeah, I saw someone mention that after I watched the episode, that was a nice touch.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 40

yq6Poa5.jpg

There were also implications that Doremi is a bad girl according to Onpu, and Doremi wonders what she means by that. Yes, I'm looking into this more than I should be. Who knows, Onpu was adorbs in this

So uh... that... wasn't what I expected for the most part. Actually......
It seems to be closer to the norm of how episodes go when dealing with Hana's pickiness. Hell, it made the recent DokiDoki Precure episode seem really derivative. And that's a good way to sum up that series, but back on topic.

I loved the fantasies by Aiko (Hey, you have Nobuko, don't take Onpu's target), and how Onpu plays up on why she doesn't eat sweet potatoes. Only to cave in 20 seconds later. Oh man, it's like a sense of "what are they on" in the first half of the show. Second half gives us some glimpses in Aiko's past at the sweet potato farm (because they went to the sweet potato farm to get fresh stuff and to see Hana pull out some sweet potatoes).

I think the damning thing about those flashbacks... is that Aiko's family was together, in a moment of happiness, but looking at the Secret of the Frog Stone, and the series in general, that her family life is the most broken up of everyones by far. Why does it feel like that one episode where Doremi actually having someone to go out with (her luckiest day that she only gets once), except it's on a more touchy subject?

In any case, to sum it up, the first half was pretty damn funny, and Onpu was really adorable. Second half was Aiko's love for Hana going to her, while she remembers back when she actually had a happy family life.

CorvoSol

The color correction still blows my mind.

IT LOOKS NEW. How is an anime that is almost as old as I am made to look so new? This is magic.

Tokyo Ravens 3

Why does the CG have look so awful?

Because it is CG? When doesn't that shit look like it came out of a digital rectum?

Record of Lodoss War HD 1

Beautiful. This is the way Lodoss was always meant to be seen. It's crazy to think that the artists put all this detail into the series without ever knowing if it would be seen by the audience; as it is, we're only truly seeing it 23 years later.

For those young whippersnappers here who don't know, Record of Lodoss War is basically a series of novelizations of a certain group's Dungeons and Dragons sessions.
The 1990 OVA was pretty popular, and it remains the best depiction of D&D in visual media(for what little that is worth).

I did not know this. It must've sucked to play as Deedlit. Playing as Parn, on the other hand, probably rocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom